Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

i am trying to avoid spoilers. Which is hard. Was tonights Metamoris worth buying? I was pleased with my purchase of the last EBI. I am on a tight-ish budget and Metamoris is kinda 50-50 for me on watchability, especially when they have gi matches.

If you're on a tight budget I'm pretty sure most of hte matches wound up on youtube in like an hour.

Kekekela posted:

Ryron looked pretty decent up to that point though, right? (I've just read the recaps, haven't been able to see it yet)

It depends on how you define "decent". He looked like a skilled grappler fighting a guy several levels better than him. Barnett had to work, he didn't just do whatever he wanted, but at no point did Ryron have any offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDcD4weCbk

Pretty level headed from Rener and Ryron, I actually wasn't expecting them to post a breakdown about them losing due to Gracie pride etc.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
they seem incredibly level headed and humble, to me. maybe anathema to Gracies in general

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

If you're on a tight budget I'm pretty sure most of hte matches wound up on youtube in like an hour.

It depends on how you define "decent". He looked like a skilled grappler fighting a guy several levels better than him. Barnett had to work, he didn't just do whatever he wanted, but at no point did Ryron have any offense.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JbFBNdpiP0

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
man i was watching youtube stuff and i saw this thing and the first leglock is pretty much the figure four leglock from prowrestling, exept it is actually a real thing. like the setup is completely different put they end up being almost the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0z-rCZP5g

pro wres version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrNGKO47ss

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
my grandpa drove his car into a guy and then wanted me to fight that guy. thats what this is all about

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

man i was watching youtube stuff and i saw this thing and the first leglock is pretty much the figure four leglock from prowrestling, exept it is actually a real thing. like the setup is completely different put they end up being almost the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0z-rCZP5g

pro wres version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrNGKO47ss

The figure four is a real hold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNHWHglNrM

It's a kneebar on the straight leg using the bent leg as a fulcrum. Anderson demonstrates it as a way to attack against De La Riva guard.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
like its a really old move in pro wrestling so it probably has catch roots. destroyer used that as his finishing move in the 60's If they did something that far back it usually had legit roots.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Does the pro wrestling reversal to the figure four actually work, where you try and roll over so you're face down and reverse the pressure?

I got caught in this and thought about trying it, but it felt so tight that I was worried that I would shred my knee in the process.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it doesnt do that much.

if you see old destroyer matches his opponent rolls but the pressure is still there. its only a fairly recent thing in pro wrestling to have the roll be a straight counter to the figure four leglock

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

1st AD posted:

Does the pro wrestling reversal to the figure four actually work, where you try and roll over so you're face down and reverse the pressure?

I got caught in this and thought about trying it, but it felt so tight that I was worried that I would shred my knee in the process.

No. It's basically a kneebar, so going belly down just means you're getting kneebarred while looking at the mat instead of the ceiling.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Guess who's going to ADCC this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6200EhwW29o

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Double guard pull to a heelhook from 50/50. Not my kind of grappling but no one can say it isn't effective! I'll definitely be eager to see Cummings' ADCC performance

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

A Wry Smile posted:

Double guard pull to a heelhook from 50/50. Not my kind of grappling but no one can say it isn't effective! I'll definitely be eager to see Cummings' ADCC performance

as long as they're heelhooking I'm fine with it, its just the 50/50... stall.... squirm...stall that is unbearable.

It is interesting though that being in a top position has some real physical advantages due to natural laws and like anatomy, but training focus has led people to take the worse position as preference. Don't push rocks up hill unless you are really, really good at it. I hate to judge guys who could berimbolo / 50/50 my rear end into oblivion but IDK if its a good evolution of the sport.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
thank god for gravity. i mean gi tournies would be some kind of abomination

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

A Wry Smile posted:

Double guard pull

So that's what synchronized sitting is called. I thought that looked silly.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Some guy I've never heard of I guess. Was honestly hoping for Hulk Hogan.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Watching Keenan and one of the Miyao's get double dqed for that was so satisfying

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i love double guard pulls into heel hooks. i want to see a double guard pull in the ufc

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Novum posted:

Some guy I've never heard of I guess. Was honestly hoping for Hulk Hogan.

keep an eye on him - he is pretty slick

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

origami posted:

keep an eye on him - he is pretty slick

Yeah. He is Tonnon's (Tonnen's?) primary training partner. Both train under Danaher. Really slick leg locks.

I am gonna stop pretending I know how to spell proper nouns now.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

Do any submission grappling tourneys still allow you to wear shoes?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JHomer722 posted:

Metamoris allows it's heavyweight champ to wear wrestling shoes.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

JHomer722 posted:

NAGA lets you wear shoes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

Just about every no-gi tourney does, although most people choose not to.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Just about every no-gi tourney does, although most people choose not to.

Any particular reason why? It seems like if you're gonna take any shots at all, they'd help. Also, mat burns on my toes rank among my least favorite things about jiu-jitsu.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JHomer722 posted:

Any particular reason why? It seems like if you're gonna take any shots at all, they'd help. Also, mat burns on my toes rank among my least favorite things about jiu-jitsu.

Gives your opponent a handle for leglocks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

Personally I stopped wearing shoes when I started playing more butterfly than closed guard because the shoes became cumbersome for setting and using hooks. For a lot of people fear of heelhooks is probably a factor.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Barnett was on a some podcast I can't recall and he discussed the shoes. His opinion is that proper defense for leglocks is just like any other submission, it's about position, knowing how to defend, how to deny your opponent the opportunity, etc. There's no other submission where people put the same importance on being more slippery.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Pocket Billiards posted:

There's no other submission where people put the same importance on being more slippery.

Seriously

DON'T WEAR SHOES THEY MAKE IT HARD TO SLIP OUT OF THINGS

HERE WEAR THIS ABRASIVE JACKET AND PANTS THAT'S KINDA LIKE WHAT PEOPLE WORE IN FEUDAL JAPAN EXCEPT MORE ABRASIVE AND WITH A THICKER COLLAR SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PEOPLE TO GRAB

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Seriously

DON'T WEAR SHOES THEY MAKE IT HARD TO SLIP OUT OF THINGS

HERE WEAR THIS ABRASIVE JACKET AND PANTS THAT'S KINDA LIKE WHAT PEOPLE WORE IN FEUDAL JAPAN EXCEPT MORE ABRASIVE AND WITH A THICKER COLLAR SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PEOPLE TO GRAB

I eagerly await naked oil submission wrestling to become the New Thing for grapplers

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Pocket Billiards posted:

Barnett was on a some podcast I can't recall and he discussed the shoes. His opinion is that proper defense for leglocks is just like any other submission, it's about position, knowing how to defend, how to deny your opponent the opportunity, etc. There's no other submission where people put the same importance on being more slippery.

He may have talked about it on a podcast, but I'm pretty sure Josh says that on the Metamoris intro/pre match (the Lister match) stuff as well.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Pocket Billiards posted:

it was rogan's

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

I eagerly await naked oil submission wrestling to become the New Thing for grapplers

It's the national sport of Turkey

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Chael just posted a pic on twitter saying he will be grappling against Barnett at Metamoris 8

Can you guys imagine the promos?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Chael just posted a pic on twitter saying he will be grappling against Barnett at Metamoris 8

They announced this on the card right after Chael laid in Babalu's guard for 20 minutes.

Josh is going to kill him.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I came running here to post this and I'm very winded but I think I'm already reading some Chael-ish promos. I can't tell if they are him or not because they are mostly located on facebook and other places. Sounds like him though.

Fatherdog - Thanks for the fencing suggestion a while back. It would be nice to get back to my roots and epee isn't a joke in terms on competition and outright pain.

But I think I'm going to wait for my Denver neurosurgeon appointment before I join a gym. For all I know he might actually have good news and I'd love to be about to at least do muay thai again.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I'd rather see Barnett vs. someone who could threaten him in anyway whatsoever.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

I'd rather see Barnett vs. someone who could threaten him in anyway whatsoever.

You go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I want to listen to a Gracie commentate on Chael going the distance with a guy who just submitted submitting Dean Lister and another Gracie.