Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

No Gravitas posted:

A very long shot, but what the hell.

My only memory is that there was a level called <SOMETHING> heart, dark heart.

That's it.

Yeah. :(

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/ddsom_bosses.html#stage106

The final stage of Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara called Inner Heart, Dark Heart?

Edit: Rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/ddsom_bosses.html#stage106

The final stage of Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara called Inner Heart, Dark Heart?

Edit: Rats.

MMAgCh posted:

According to Google, the final stage of Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara was called "Inner Heart, Dark Heart".

But but but... I googled it so many times. What kind of query did you use to get it?

Yes, this it.

Thanks, both.

EDIT: Oh, this game. Best thing I ever played in an arcade, ever.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

No Gravitas posted:

But but but... I googled it so many times. What kind of query did you use to get it?

I just got it by searching with the text below:

"heart, dark heart" stage

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking for a wild west themed adventure game that I want to say was on the PSX in Japan and maybe PC also. It's NOT Silverload or The Town with No Name. It had fairly blocky 3D graphics when this type of game would usually have 2D stuff. Like almost Virtua Fighter 1 style blocky.

I think I'm wrong, but Alone in the Dark 3 is kinda? Ish?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm looking for either a PS1 or PS2 horror game, or specifically a cutscene from one. It's one of those infamous really terrible, but funny cutscenes that tend to get posted as an example of how bad writing, acting and animation could be in those days.

It starts with a girl living in like a boarding school or something, and a boy climbs into her room through the window. They have this really spirited argument with some of the most hilarious, hyperactive animation I've ever seen, where no one stops moving for even a second and the girl is like making her bed and they fall over and she excitedly crawls toward him while he recoils in terror. Also the voice acting is truly atrocious, maybe like fake British accents.

I had thought it was one of the Clock Tower games, but I can't for the life of me find this specific cutscene.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm looking for either a PS1 or PS2 horror game, or specifically a cutscene from one. It's one of those infamous really terrible, but funny cutscenes that tend to get posted as an example of how bad writing, acting and animation could be in those days.

It starts with a girl living in like a boarding school or something, and a boy climbs into her room through the window. They have this really spirited argument with some of the most hilarious, hyperactive animation I've ever seen, where no one stops moving for even a second and the girl is like making her bed and they fall over and she excitedly crawls toward him while he recoils in terror. Also the voice acting is truly atrocious, maybe like fake British accents.

I had thought it was one of the Clock Tower games, but I can't for the life of me find this specific cutscene.

Clock Tower 3 possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfa6oyVgILc

13:20 in the video.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, thank you, nailed it. That dumb thing still cracks me up, it's incredible. That guy's loving legs.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking for a wild west themed adventure game that I want to say was on the PSX in Japan and maybe PC also. It's NOT Silverload or The Town with No Name. It had fairly blocky 3D graphics when this type of game would usually have 2D stuff. Like almost Virtua Fighter 1 style blocky.

!Klams posted:

I think I'm wrong, but Alone in the Dark 3 is kinda? Ish?

Alone in the Dark 3 took place in a ghost town and had a more western flair to it than the previous games and was on the PC and PSX. Any of this ring a bell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0oiDnGaM4Y

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Looking for an old DOS turn-based spaceship strategy game. You could design your own ships by putting components down on a hull template along with armor up to 8 blocks thick. This was important because different types of weapons would blow chunks of armor away in different patterns. Then you would take squads of them into battle against the computer.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Looking for an old DOS turn-based spaceship strategy game. You could design your own ships by putting components down on a hull template along with armor up to 8 blocks thick. This was important because different types of weapons would blow chunks of armor away in different patterns. Then you would take squads of them into battle against the computer.

Ascendancy?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wamdoodle posted:

Alone in the Dark 3 took place in a ghost town and had a more western flair to it than the previous games and was on the PC and PSX. Any of this ring a bell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0oiDnGaM4Y

This very similar but not it. I'm having trouble describing just how dated the graphics are in this game, it was like, uh, like almost Donkey Kong Country-like at points. I guess the closest I can think of is the cutscenes and battle animations in Ronde on the Saturn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe Dust: A Tale of the Wired West which was by the Titanic guys and used ugly CGI models with 2D live actors on close ups.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

For kicks I went through GameFAQs' entire database of adventure games released in Japan on the Playstation, and there really wasn't a single Western-themed one, so I assume it must be under a different genre. Sorry that's not very helpful. The only one that was vaguely Western-inspired was Fox Junction, but that doesn't really fit your description.

Sidenote, but man there are a lot of cool looking games we never got here, like London Seirei Tanteidan, a FFT-style RPG set in Victorian London.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Game I've been intending to play and got reminded of today when someone posted a gif on IRC, but I just can't recall the name of it:

Puzzle game somewhat reminiscent of The Incredible Machine with a blue haired anime girl who I'm guessing based on screenshots you're supposed to lead to a goal. Pixel graphics, looks like it could be a GBA game. Not entirely sure what format it actually is for but my guess would be indie game for Windows.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Someone on the forums (I think - could easily have dreamt it) talked somewhere about a new(ish?) game that was reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus in that it had something to do with crawling all over big monsters or -something-. I loved that game and am up for anything like it, please tell me I didn't just hallucinate something like a stupid bastard. Tia

moller
Jan 10, 2007

murphyslaw posted:

Someone on the forums (I think - could easily have dreamt it) talked somewhere about a new(ish?) game that was reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus in that it had something to do with crawling all over big monsters or -something-. I loved that game and am up for anything like it, please tell me I didn't just hallucinate something like a stupid bastard. Tia

Dragon's Dogma has climbing on monsters. There's also Titan Souls on steam which is a puzzle-boss rush. And, obligatory :darksouls: mention.

vvv

Edit: Yeah, I included Dark Souls under the "or -something-" clause. It doesn't have boss climbing but it does have puzzle bosses and an obfuscated narrative and made up languages and a seamless explorable world and moral ambiguity and a sense of overwhelming odds and a bunch of other stuff that's SotC-y. Or perhaps both DS1 and SotC are different takes on grimdark zelda.

I can't think of another game with a horse buddy though. Agro!

moller fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Critical Mass was for Windows, but fits this description pretty well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

murphyslaw posted:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow had climbing on like 3 big bosses that was kinda like Shadow of the Colossus but completely worse in every way, being half SOTC and half god of war style QTEs.

Dragon's Dogma lets you climb on monsters but its not to the extent of SOTC at all. Still very fun and satisfying!

The latest Monster Hunter, MH4U, also adds the ability to climb on monsters and then you can do a very SOTC inspired minigame to weaken them for awhile so your team can get in some massive damage, but its again not nearly taken to the level that SOTC did.

Dark Souls doesn't really have any climbing on bosses, as much as I love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neo Rasa posted:

Hakkesshu posted:

For kicks I went through GameFAQs' entire database of adventure games released in Japan on the Playstation, and there really wasn't a single Western-themed one, so I assume it must be under a different genre. Sorry that's not very helpful. The only one that was vaguely Western-inspired was Fox Junction, but that doesn't really fit your description.

Could always be either of the PS1 entries in the Wild Arms series: both Wild Arms 1 (a dude with a sword and a gun) and Wild Arms 2 (the guy with the bayonet) tried to market themselves on their wild west flair despite the fact that they actually had weird fantasy/sci-fi anime plots. The series features Zelda-style puzzles and has a considerably more out-of-combat interactions, so it's easy to misremember it as an adventure game rather than the traditional JRPG it is. Spritey 2D overworld, blockier and clumsier-looking than FF7 in combat.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2015

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Thanks for the replies!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
My roommate is trying to remember a game, it was either a PS1 or PS2 game that had an isometric or overhead viewpoint. You would travel a map between towns, clearing the town of monsters would open the town for trade, shops, etc. It would show real time which towns were being attacked with a color. She thinks it was part of the Castlevania universe without being called castlevania, but that may not be accurate, as I could find nothing under that area. She remembers it playing very Diablo like. So far I know it is not Blood Omen 1, Balders Gate Dark Alliance, or Dark Cloud. Any ideas?

EDIT: There was a second one that was an old PC game where you were trying to escape a pyramid, there was a mechanic where you could use sand blocks that would disappear eventually to climb higher. There were spiders that attacked you and the music was a fairly nice dramatic orchestral style. The player would scream when he got eaten by a spider or cruched by rocks or something like that.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 10, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

My roommate is trying to remember a game, it was either a PS1 or PS2 game that had an isometric or overhead viewpoint. You would travel a map between towns, clearing the town of monsters would open the town for trade, shops, etc. It would show real time which towns were being attacked with a color. She thinks it was part of the Castlevania universe without being called castlevania, but that may not be accurate, as I could find nothing under that area. She remembers it playing very Diablo like. So far I know it is not Blood Omen 1, Balders Gate Dark Alliance, or Dark Cloud. Any ideas?

EDIT: There was a second one that was an old PC game where you were trying to escape a pyramid, there was a mechanic where you could use sand blocks that would disappear eventually to climb higher. There were spiders that attacked you and the music was a fairly nice dramatic orchestral style. The player would scream when he got eaten by a spider or cruched by rocks or something like that.

First one sounds like Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse. Considering the subtitle I understand her confusing it with Castlevania.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

2D or 3D? It sounds like Montezuma's Return.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
Hi thread, can you help with this one: This was like a boxed collection of screensavers and minigames based on the work of a really good artist (political cartoonist?), which the central theme was based around two guys (based on Ronald Regan and Gorbachev?) punching each other in the face and what not...was probably from around 1998 or earlier? Any thoughts?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

al-azad posted:

First one sounds like Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse. Considering the subtitle I understand her confusing it with Castlevania.

That was absolutely it, thank you.

Hakkesshu posted:

2D or 3D? It sounds like Montezuma's Return.

2D

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Depressing Drawers posted:

Hi thread, can you help with this one: This was like a boxed collection of screensavers and minigames based on the work of a really good artist (political cartoonist?), which the central theme was based around two guys (based on Ronald Regan and Gorbachev?) punching each other in the face and what not...was probably from around 1998 or earlier? Any thoughts?

It doesn't match nearly anything of what you said, but if the artist is Bill Plympton and the game was called Take Your Best Shot, it would.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Cheez posted:

It doesn't match nearly anything of what you said, but if the artist is Bill Plympton and the game was called Take Your Best Shot, it would.

Huh, his description of "boxed collection of minigames + screensavers based on a famous property" made me think of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time, which was also by 7th Level.

Edit: Also, the hair and builds of "Joe" and "The Boss" kind of seem like they could be evocative of regan and gorby. Kinda. Sorta.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 11, 2015

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

Cheez posted:

Brilliant, thanks for this - goes to show what 20 years will do to your memory ;)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I played this when I was a kid and did not understand English, but I have no idea what its name was

A Genesis game (95% sure) where you play as some amazon-looking woman who fights by shooting lightning from her hands. It could be overcharged to hit the entire screen, depleted to do fizzy damage, and it would change color when upgraded, from blue to yellow to red to white to blue again, give or take a color.

Early on, there's a cutscene where a guy taunts you and says you have done well to make it this far. It was the only cutscene I reached.

The general vibe of the game was sci-fi, with most stages being either fleshy and alien, future tech, or a combination of both.

E: Oh, and it was a platformer. It was mostly linear, but it did have nooks and crannies you could easily miss, and possibly a few alternate paths through levels.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2015

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIRtWPYBtg

Alisia dragoon?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wow, yeah, that's it. I think I've tracked that name down before, but the wiki article said it had a pet mechanic which I sure didn't remember. Cheers mate :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's not really a "pet", more like the options from Gradius or 194X games. You can upgrade your dragon to have more powerful attacks, it's sort of a neat blend of SHMUP with some persistent RPG mechanics.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
A few years ago, I downloaded a PC game (free ware, I remember) that was you playing on a PC in the early days of the internet, and it was somehow sentient? It was text based and adventure-y. Anybody remember it and have suggestions for similar games?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

A few years ago, I downloaded a PC game (free ware, I remember) that was you playing on a PC in the early days of the internet, and it was somehow sentient? It was text based and adventure-y. Anybody remember it and have suggestions for similar games?

Digital: A Love Story? If it's that Christine Love's other games are probably what you want.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There was a adventure game made for PC and I think it was goon made. The game featured a duck and all I can remember about it is that you were trying to make some delicious porridge.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

There was a adventure game made for PC and I think it was goon made. The game featured a duck and all I can remember about it is that you were trying to make some delicious porridge.

This thing, probably?

http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/life-of-d-duck/761/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yes, that was it. Thank you.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Isn't that from a series of front page articles years ago?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Speaking of SA articles... alright, this is gonna be a weird one. Bear with me here.

I'm looking for a hentai game. I swear I remember it being one of the ones reviewed here on the site but I'm not seeing it. Anyway, it was basically a visual novel dating simulator that also had sex scenes. I only remember key parts of it. The game went through all four seasons and each time a new season rolled around there'd be a scene describing the cherry blossoms on the trees and how they would react to the weather. Then you'd go through several days of interaction with various girls. Which ever one got the most affection then would sleep with you (because that's how it works in real life, yeah). If a girl did sleep with you, that ended the game as you had chosen your soulmate and then would get an ending cutscene showing you spending your life together (because that's also how that works). What was weird was you didn't have to do this, and could actually just avoid all of the advances and it ended with you being lonely the rest of your life because you couldn't make a decision or something to that affect. I remember you had a stalker who liked soccer, who I think had red hair, and near the end of the game after rebuffing the advances of every girl in the game you're stuck choosing between three, or just not. Like there's a scene where you eat ramen and the girls ask what your favorite type was, with the four options being the one each girl liked and then like an "all of the above" or "none" option. Like all hentai games, it wasn't very good, but at least it wasn't "rape everything with tits."

I was telling my friend about it and now she wants to see this game, but I'm not seeing it here on the site.

EDIT: Let me be fair, I would google this, but... I'd rather not. Who knows what would pop up on google these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Castle of the Winds