Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I work on Piaggios, Vespas, Guzzis and Aprilias fairly often, though mostly the scooters. They're the most annoying brand to work on and get parts for, all of them. They're all badly engineered, badly manufactured and they distribute parts poorly. Our local market lost its Aprilia and Vespa dealers recently. I sent in an application for an Aprilia franchise for our shop, not really being serious about it because our shop is probably not big enough to support the brand, but I was curious what their demands would be. I went through the motions on the application, though, and they didn't even do the courtesy of saying "no." No response at all.

Have you ever worked on one of the Piaggio BV 350's? I was looking at one sorta serious there for a while and wondered what you thought of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, AXONE has been cracked? The one thing keeping me from getting a Mana for myself or my fiancee is the required reprogramming at the dealer. I've read through and through the manual belt change guides and it seems very possible, especially with a tiny bit of welding on a special tool, but spending $250-600 for a reprogramming session is out of the question.

Is there a third-party tool now that can be hand for less than $1k?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can you talk a little more about the Mana belt stuff? I rented one for a day and it was the cat's pajamas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, AXONE has been cracked? The one thing keeping me from getting a Mana for myself or my fiancee is the required reprogramming at the dealer. I've read through and through the manual belt change guides and it seems very possible, especially with a tiny bit of welding on a special tool, but spending $250-600 for a reprogramming session is out of the question.

Is there a third-party tool now that can be hand for less than $1k?

Yes and no. Most third-party diagnostic tools can read it but changing maps on the DBW bikes is still out of the question. Given the Mana is a Gilera engine I've no idea how that changes things.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coredump posted:

Can you talk a little more about the Mana belt stuff? I rented one for a day and it was the cat's pajamas.

Belt change every 12k miles (give or take 3-5k), when the belt nears "end of life" the bike will eventually go into limp mode limited to 50mph. Changing the belt can be accomplished with hand tools and ingenuity in a day, or in an hour or two with special tools. However, once the belt is changed you need to reset the belt wear potentiometer, and re-learn shifts (?) by propping the tire up and having it run a sequence. Said reset and sequence can only be done by computer, though I've read conflicting reports whether or not the old piaggio system or AXONE is required.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?223818-People-wanted-pics-of-the-belt-tools

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, that doesnt look or sound ridiculous at all!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Geirskogul posted:

Belt change every 12k miles (give or take 3-5k), when the belt nears "end of life" the bike will eventually go into limp mode limited to 50mph. Changing the belt can be accomplished with hand tools and ingenuity in a day, or in an hour or two with special tools. However, once the belt is changed you need to reset the belt wear potentiometer, and re-learn shifts (?) by propping the tire up and having it run a sequence. Said reset and sequence can only be done by computer, though I've read conflicting reports whether or not the old piaggio system or AXONE is required.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?223818-People-wanted-pics-of-the-belt-tools

Jesus christ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Geirskogul posted:

hahahahahahahahaha never

NEVER

I'm about as far from an anti-technology/anti gadgets guy as you can get, but holy poo poo gently caress that forever.

At my Aprilia/KTM dealership, I once walked in on an incredible rant by one of the service guys about how changing Mana drive belts. It was impressive in both length and ire, easily a 3x multiplier on your typical "loving honda engineering" rant.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 7, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
That's what happens when you make a scooter gearbox deal with big-boy amounts of power. As far as I know all the hyperscoots have similar problems - it's one of the reasons CVTs never made it into the mainstream despite their advantages over conventional transmissions.

FWIW the transmission and engine are Gilera, not Aprilia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is the bike version of the AWD systems found on the likes of X5's, ML's, Q7's and such. Retarded and complicated and pointless and exists only to try and make *thing* be more like *completely unrelated thing* for marketing purposes. Engineering like that makes my blood boil.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's what happens when you make a scooter gearbox deal with big-boy amounts of power. As far as I know all the hyperscoots have similar problems - it's one of the reasons CVTs never made it into the mainstream despite their advantages over conventional transmissions.

Yo what's your opinion of the hydraulic CVT in Honda's thing? (I can't actually recall exactly what bike it is, was either a maxiscooter or some kind of ridiculous flat 6 cruiser or some hybrid of both, iirc)

I like the idea but mainly because I'm attracted to complicated whirligigs with theoretically high efficiency numbers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Its not the horsepower. Cars with much more weight and power have cvt's and do fine.

The mana is what happens when two already Italian companies get together and double the gently caress down on being Italian.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 8, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I like the idea but mainly because I'm attracted to complicated whirligigs with theoretically high efficiency numbers.

Do you drive a VAG or subaru that is constantly broken and tell people how when it's working properly it's 5% more powerful and efficient than a comparable conventional car?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its not the horsepower. Cars with much more weight and power have cvt's and do fine.

The mana is what happens when two already Italian companies get together and double the gently caress down on being Italian.

It's the fact that it's a scaled up scooter drivetrain with a lovely rubber belt instead of an oil-immersed chain like a car.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Do you drive a VAG or subaru that is constantly broken and tell people how when it's working properly it's 5% more powerful and efficient than a comparable conventional car?

Haha, no because I have no money. Point taken though. (but if I did have the money I probably would get a VW or something :v: not a subaru though, around here they just get nicked instantly because :rice:)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 8, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coredump posted:

Have you ever worked on one of the Piaggio BV 350's? I was looking at one sorta serious there for a while and wondered what you thought of them.
Don't think so. If the engine is in any way related to the GT Vespas, it's a nice ride, but tends to blow head gaskets.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Cross post from the schadenfreude thread.

Staryberry posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/motorcycle-crash-kills-ex-georgia-lawmaker-who-tried-to-eliminate-helmet-regulations/

State legislator who fought relentlessly to repeal motorcycle laws dies in motorcycle accident. There is no word yet on whether he was wearing a helmet.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The wreck doesn't look too bad. I'm honestly surprised that he was killed, unless he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

No. 6 posted:

The wreck doesn't look too bad. I'm honestly surprised that he was killed, unless he wasn't wearing a helmet.

You can die with or without a helmet just from falling over at a stop while on your motorcycle. Any six-foot uncontrolled fall of you head is bad.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?

Geirskogul posted:

You can die with or without a helmet just from falling over at a stop while on your motorcycle. Any six-foot uncontrolled fall of you head is bad.

Maybe if the helmet is made out of paper yea.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Cross post from the schadenfreude thread.

Good.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's the fact that it's a scaled up scooter drivetrain with a lovely rubber belt instead of an oil-immersed chain like a car.

I thought it had more to do with the fact it servos or something to give it fake gears and what not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cars do that too :ssh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

I thought it had more to do with the fact it servos or something to give it fake gears and what not.

Nah, that's just the cherry on the turd - it 's why you need AXONE or something, to tell the ECU that the belt has been reset and i needs to recalibrate the servos.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yo what's your opinion of the hydraulic CVT in Honda's thing? (I can't actually recall exactly what bike it is, was either a maxiscooter or some kind of ridiculous flat 6 cruiser or some hybrid of both, iirc)

If you're referring to Honda's dual-clutch transmission technology, I can attest that it's loving awesome. None of the downsides of belt-based CVTs, all of the awesomeness of manual transmission besides fancy clutch control. It's not for everyone but I really enjoy it.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Radbot posted:

If you're referring to Honda's dual-clutch transmission technology, I can attest that it's loving awesome. None of the downsides of belt-based CVTs, all of the awesomeness of manual transmission besides fancy clutch control. It's not for everyone but I really enjoy it.

I don't understand how it works. So is it like having an automatic transmission, or is it different?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lynza posted:

I don't understand how it works. So is it like having an automatic transmission, or is it different?

It's a computer controlled manual transmission, essentially. There are two full auto modes, and a manual mode where shifting is accomplished via buttons near the left grip. Coming to a stop just means the computer will shift you down to first gear if you aren't already there, and then automatically clutch in at a stop. It's pretty similar to Volkswagen DSG.

The great part is that it doesn't feel slushy at all like most automatic transmissions.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It seems like that'd be awesome for people who commute in stop and go traffic (like me). It's the same reason I appreciate automatic transmission in a car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't speak for bike DSG because I've never ridden one, but all the car ones I've driven have been horribly shuddery and jerky at low speeds and generally unpleasant in every way unless you're absolutely blasting. I have no idea how similar Honda's system is or how it behaves though.

No clutch-up wheelies that way too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I think it was Ola who test rode one and thought it was pretty great?

EDIT: yup.

Ola posted:

Tried a Honda NC700S today. They had the NC700X as well, but it didn't have the auto box which was what I wanted to try. It was a pretty nice ride.

There are a few jerks when the gearbox changes itself which is an unusual sensation when it happens mid-roundabout, but it did not upset anything at all, even the first one. It's quite subtle. On the motorway following traffic and over some hills, it changed between 5th and 6th quite often, lugging 6th to some extent (this would probably go away by switching to Sport), which caused the vibrations (parallel twin lawnmower kind) to change quite often, which was a bit annoying. The quick solution is just to tap it into manual mode and leave it in 5th, worked very well.

Suspension was very nice for a budget model, didn't mind bumps mid corner at all. Storage space in the tank was excellent, fit my helmet just fine.

Without a clutch to modulate, the throttle needs to have good feeling. I found it to be perfect. It's a cable so you feel when you pull it taught and can give just that tiny bit of tension to ease forward when in a queue or something.

Fuel consumption is apparently amazing. Dealer said a guy who bought one for a 60-80 kph commute regularly got 3.3 L/km or 71 US MPG. Low down torque is nice, but the obviously unticked box on this bike is top end power. While you could tour two up on it and do great on the slow twisties of western Norway, long days on the Autobahn would be very different. It's annoying to ride on it I think, because everyone is at different speeds - I might think 130 kph is nice, then I get behind someone doing 110...but to pass them I need to get up to 150 to merge safely into the outer lane. Those constant lane changes and speed changes would just be impractical. You'd have to be content with much fewer lane changes or perhaps just appreciate the incentive and go on the smaller roads. The savings in fuel would be considerable.

Then price. It's cheap, but with the auto box it's not too far from a baseline Tiger 800. Which is a very different beast indeed.

Conclusion: I don't think I'll buy one, but I am fully sold on the dual clutch gearbox.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 14, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think that's a fair assessment. The fuel economy is ridiculous - 62 MPG is my average, and I'm a fatass who loves to ride in the mountains. The top end power is lacking and you won't be doing any sweet wheelies but it's the perfect everyday bike for the corporate analyst with a wild hair, IMO.

I just think it's crazy I got the bike with DCT and ABS for $7k OTD.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I had a car with a DSG and it was awesome. Full engine braking capability. Instant shifts under power. Granny mode for when I'm sitting in traffic.

The downside was that, with the power upgrades I had done to the engine, the cooling for the transmission wasn't quite holding up for a full track session. It would go into granny mode about 3/4 of the way through. And fluid changes were $200 for Audi's moon oil.

Probably not problems you'd have on a modest Honda though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

If you're referring to Honda's dual-clutch transmission technology

Nope! I managed to find the thing I was thinking of, it's their weird space-bike concept-looking DN-01, with what Honda call "human friendly transmission". It's basically a fancy scooter automatic (using hydraulics instead of a belt) that also has a manual setting that gives you six "gears".

The transmission gearbox:

The bike bastard lovechild of a cruiser and maxi-scooter:

e/ The fact that they only put it in one concept bike and one production bike should probably tell me everything I need to know, huh?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmmmmm I wonder which party is at-fault here...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Probably the bike.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is on the road? The exploded body of a former rider?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
My assumption is the stuff to soak up oil/gas

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Looks like cat litter to absorb oil and gas from the wreck.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of accidents I saw a motorcycle taking a nap on the middle of the 580 here in the bay area. There was a higher flow of traffic too and its kinda scary to think about what would happen if I had a lowside in the middle of the highway during rush because even if I am a ATGATT guy, nothing will protect me from incoming traffic.

And no, I didn't see the driver of the motorcycle.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

e/ The fact that they only put it in one concept bike and one production bike should probably tell me everything I need to know, huh?

I guess? This transmission was replaced by the Honda DCT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I guess? This transmission was replaced by the Honda DCT.

Weren't they supposed to be building a bike engine that used a nutating plate instead of a crankshaft, too? Seems like you could cut out a load of components and complexity by mating that directly to this transmission, although you'd need your engine oil to be the hydraulic fluid too and I don't know if that would be a problem.

Anyway as clever (and reliable) as that system is it's heavy and really awkward to package, hence the anal-probe looks of the DN-01. DCTs are a known technology from the car field and probably give you the best possible compromise between reliability, longevity, and responsiveness if you're going to be going for an auto box. Do the NCs have a centrifugal clutch final drive or an auto clutch? Centrifugal clutches seem to take for ever to bite and make low-speed riding a bit of a pain.