Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Alright hopefully its just car shock moving away from karts. I just had my first race in a "real" car doing an all Ford Focus race. It feels like I'm driving a semi truck, the car floats all over the corners. I can't seem to figure it out but it feels completely unnatural. Am I missing something? Or is this how all the actual cars drive in this game? I have all the assists set to real but I was dominating the karts just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Popete posted:

Alright hopefully its just car shock moving away from karts. I just had my first race in a "real" car doing an all Ford Focus race. It feels like I'm driving a semi truck, the car floats all over the corners. I can't seem to figure it out but it feels completely unnatural. Am I missing something? Or is this how all the actual cars drive in this game? I have all the assists set to real but I was dominating the karts just fine.

I had the same thing. I thought it was because I either never raced the course (Sonoma) or just generally was terrible. But later I did a 3 or 4 race series in a Lancer Evo just fine, on a couple tracks I'd never raced before. Even the spec Caterham Seven series I did well at. Maybe the Focus just sucks? :shrug:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I have a really, really hard time with the Focus. It's steering is like a road car, rather than a race car, which means it takes a lot of turning-in to make it really go around a corner. It's also one of the few FWD drive cars which means if you're on the gas, you're going to be getting a lot of understeer.

Which is to say, it drives like a truck compared to the twitchy little go karts. Go drive a Formula car, an Atom, or a Caterham, and you'll see what I mean. :)

The difference between cars in this game (especially with a 900 degree steering wheel) is massive compared to Forza and GT.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SMS really needs to add DRS zones in. I mean, nothing is stopping me from abusing it like the computer does, but it feels loving wrong.

I love the Formula A so much. Just finished a race on Hockenheimring at night in the rain. So good.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Is there a good beginner guide out there? I just got the game for the eye candy and I'm clueless as to where to start. Even on novice it's a little overwhelming at the moment. I've never really played a GT or Forza.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Popete posted:

I had a race in a Megane last night and that thing does not enjoy going round corners. Just a miserable thing to drive on a racetrack. It seems to be a thing with the smaller road cars. Makes me thankful my first non-kart race was in a BMW GT car.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Let us English posted:

Is there a good beginner guide out there? I just got the game for the eye candy and I'm clueless as to where to start. Even on novice it's a little overwhelming at the moment. I've never really played a GT or Forza.
Turn on all the assists except steering. Slow down when the racing line is not green. Speed up when it's green. Once you got that under your belt, turn off assists one by one. If you're used to arcadey games prepare to use your brakes here a lot more than you're used to. :) You gotta slooooow doooown. edit: another tip, don't worry about 1st or the super tuning stuff like the post below me is worrying about. play at defaults, and try to beat YOUR level of driving, i.e. the guy in front of you. wait for your moment to pass. don't rub or hit other cars. this is a tough game and you ain't gonna be a pro. (neither am I) :)

Also: do people find multiplayer games? I know I'm in an odd timezone (Korea/Japan) but there's literally zero games every night I check. :(

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 14, 2015

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Are there any good resources out on there for complete newbies with the tuning stuff? There's so many options, and I don't really know what 90% of the options even do, let alone when and why I'd want to change them up. I keep running across scenarios where it seems I should adjust something; i.e. doing SuperKarts on Sonoma, my back tyres were red-hot but the fronts were still cold during the practise and qualifying rounds, that seems like something I should be able to even out, but I don't even know where to start with that.

The most I've done so far is adjust my fuel load, which is easy enough by eyeballing the usage during practise and adjusting by the lap count.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Popete posted:

With the Focus you really have to go into the setup and make sure to put Track tires on. For some reason the game wants to put some really crappy feeling street tires on some cars by default. It makes a ton of difference.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This might be a bad idea

and for reference, roughly the same race distance as the NASCAR races at Sonoma and Watkins Glen (217.5mi/350km for this race, 218.9/352.3 for Sonoma and 220.5/354.9 for Watkins Glen)

EDIT: lol, spun coming out of Eau Rouge, got hit by another car, and wound up somewhere near Brussels I think

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 14, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

LiquidRain posted:

Turn on all the assists except steering. Slow down when the racing line is not green. Speed up when it's green. Once you got that under your belt, turn off assists one by one. If you're used to arcadey games prepare to use your brakes here a lot more than you're used to. :) You gotta slooooow doooown. edit: another tip, don't worry about 1st or the super tuning stuff like the post below me is worrying about. play at defaults, and try to beat YOUR level of driving, i.e. the guy in front of you. wait for your moment to pass. don't rub or hit other cars. this is a tough game and you ain't gonna be a pro. (neither am I) :)

Also: do people find multiplayer games? I know I'm in an odd timezone (Korea/Japan) but there's literally zero games every night I check. :(

I've yet to find a single game beyond COD where there is a high enough player population in Asia to get games reliably. For a niche title like this, it might be hopeless.

So I did as you said, and turned on break assistance. Now I'm an unstoppable racing god. Gotta find the middle ground somewhere.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 14, 2015

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Holy hell does the Ford MkIV not like going with the front facing forwards... ANY steering input and the arse decides it wants to ride up front.

Any setups to make this thing even remotely controllable?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=37558

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yessssss. Rubin' is racin' now boys!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i find myself drawn to nascar like a moth to flame, i hope oval tracks come soon

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
One complaint about the AI that I haven't heard yet - in Career mode the AI drivers' skills either are roughly all equal to each other, or vary from race to race.

I just won the LMP3 US series championship- a 6 race series- with 3 first place finishes, a 7th, a 14th, and an 18th. There's no way that should have been close to enough to take everything down.

It seems that Bob Smith could be a race leader in Race 1, but in Race 3 he's a backmarker, so each CPU will only average about 5 points a race.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Ugh, I'm tiring of the same damned track rotation in almost every series and invitational event. Outlon, Snetterton, Donington, Brands Hatch.... There are a lot of other tracks in the game, why not use those too? I've yet to see Monza, Monaco, any track in the US that isn't bloody Sonoma, I've been to Hockenheim and the Nurburgring exactly once...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp a $50 game just encouraged me to drop $250 on a toy steering wheel. That is an expensive week.

Fanatec thanks SMS.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

Whelp a $50 game just encouraged me to drop $250 on a toy steering wheel. That is an expensive week.

Fanatec thanks SMS.

Fanatec for 250.... you already have pedals by chance?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baggins posted:

Ugh, I'm tiring of the same damned track rotation in almost every series and invitational event. Outlon, Snetterton, Donington, Brands Hatch.... There are a lot of other tracks in the game, why not use those too? I've yet to see Monza, Monaco, any track in the US that isn't bloody Sonoma, I've been to Hockenheim and the Nurburgring exactly once...

They are very easy and quick tracks to do, making it perfect for casual play against random players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have non-fanatec pedals, yes.

Proper fanatec pedals will have to wait a bit. I don't know what rear end in a top hat it was that made money a finite resource but they're a jerk.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

I have non-fanatec pedals, yes.

Proper fanatec pedals will have to wait a bit. I don't know what rear end in a top hat it was that made money a finite resource but they're a jerk.

Just makin sure you didnt just buy the wheel :v.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

They are very easy and quick tracks to do, making it perfect for casual play against random players.

Snetterton's final corner gives me nightmares.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Baggins posted:

Because of the prestige. But yeah, more Monaco invitationals please. Or, hell, maybe a Laguna Seca-based event? Because yeah, just imagine how terribly slow apeshit cool it would be for that to happen.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just watched a video of a lap of fake Suzuka... what the hell did they do to it? I mean sure they might have missed a license for it, but they butchered the track. Missing part of the esses, the hairpin, and the final, chicane. Its so weird.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

OhsH posted:

Fanatec for 250.... you already have pedals by chance?

FYI if you're in America you can buy a Fanatec GT3 RS wheel and the base CSR pedals, which aren't poo poo, for $230 (you get an instant $30 discount for bundling them). And that's not a lovely start.

Those of us unlucky enough to live in The Rest Of The World have to fork out mega loving dollars for the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately the CSR pedals are out of stock. Also they're comparatively poop to the next tier up.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Baggins posted:

Sonoma and Brands Hatch are two of the best tracks in the world so if they are gonna overemphasize any, it might as well be those two. Is Watkins Glen very common? If not, it should be.

Monaco is really cool as a once in a while thing, but I cannot imagine ever wanting to race that with anyone other than people you regularly race with. Monaco with random players online would have the be the worst racing experience in history.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yep Monaco with friends only. I will never do a pub race there.

I did some laps there last night I the lotus 98t with the boost cranked up. INSANE.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Cubey posted:

Sonoma and Brands Hatch are two of the best tracks in the world so if they are gonna overemphasize any, it might as well be those two. Is Watkins Glen very common? If not, it should be.

Never liked Sonoma myself, just can't get the rythm right. Sadly, Watkins Glen isn't very common, at least not in my save as I think it's one of the great tracks out there. Brands Hatch is good, but every once in a while it would be nice to do something else. Zolder, Oschersleben and Brno are all extremely underutilized in the early stages of career mode, especially when you start in karts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BlackMK4 posted:

When you choose your car you use the right/left arrows before you press X to use it. I found it by accident.

I'm still uncertain of where to do this. I just chose Quick Race Weekend, and go to "Change Vehicle" and before I select from the list, I try pressing left and right. Nothing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is Monaco the azure coast track because gently caress that track.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

i would gently caress that track if i could, it's a good track

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

It's azure circuit. Azure coast is a fictional road in the same region.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Baggins posted:

Never liked Sonoma myself, just can't get the rythm right. Sadly, Watkins Glen isn't very common, at least not in my save as I think it's one of the great tracks out there. Brands Hatch is good, but every once in a while it would be nice to do something else. Zolder, Oschersleben and Brno are all extremely underutilized in the early stages of career mode, especially when you start in karts.

With karts, I'm wondering why we don't get the Barcelona Club track. Sure, it's a bit longer, but god drat is it good in karts. I think it's due to the wider track and longer curves that'd make it more for regular cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

It's azure circuit. Azure coast is a fictional road in the same region.

Yea that one. It's a mess.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yea that one. It's a mess.

Counterpoint: it rules

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never enjoyed city tracks in racing games, no run offs and corners not designed to be taken at speed just ain't fun.

But they're consistently popular so I guess I'm in the minority.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Why don't my times show up on the leaderboard when I do time trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Baggins posted:

Holy hell does the Ford MkIV not like going with the front facing forwards... ANY steering input and the arse decides it wants to ride up front.

Any setups to make this thing even remotely controllable?

A goon posted one a few pages back that's good and I found another one online I prefer, I'll post it when I get home.

• Locked thread