Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New sneak peeks are up.
https://www.comixology.com/FREE-DC-Sneak-Peeks/list/6663

Action Comics, GL: Lost Army, Aquaman, Bat-Mite, Bizarro, Gotham by Midnight, Deathstroke, Dr. Fate, JL3k1 and Lobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Good selection this week. Aquaman, Batmite and Lobo are firmly in the "meh" list but all of the other books have at least something to like. Not too sure about GL: Lost army. I likely won't buy it but the art is decent; really helped by the good vivid colours.

I wanted to like Fate more than I did. Liked the art but I just don't have the faith in Levitz to make it interesting.

Although I don't like the way he does faces at all Kuder's art in Action is absolutely stellar. The action, the layouts, he is very very very good.

Bizarro and Gotham after Midnight are both good, and JLA 3001... is JLA 3000 this good? I've never read it but I'm really tempted to pick up the trades now.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 13, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I liked Dr Fate a lot more than I thought I would.

The art is cool and I'm willing to give Levitz a shot for what's gone on so far.

Plus, anything to get more Dr Fate outside of the poo poo show that is Earth 2.

I'm glad to see Jesus Saiz getting more work after Swamp Thing and his art still looks great but I don't think I care all that much for GL Lost Army.

Paktion comics looks great as always but I hope Greg Pak cuts Superman some slack soon because he's had a really tough time so far.

Aquaman's art looks amazing but I hope the Mera thing is a fake out.

Bizarro am worst comic ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Reading the previews, I'm very excited for Starfire, Midnighter and Prez. Starfire in particular I wasn't expecting to like, but the writing was a lot more subdued than what Conners has been doing with Harley and I appreciate that. The art was gorgeous too.

Starfire is looking really good, and is exactly what I was hoping. It's got a very similar tone to their run on Power Girl (which is why any concern confused me. Harley's tone is a very deliberate choice, not the only way they can write) and Kory's voice and presentation seems to be explicitly attempting to echo the cartoon version.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Bizarro was great. I laughed like a mad man at that panel with Mogo.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 13, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

Bizarro was great. I laughed like a mad man at that panel with Mogo.

Jimmys lime green bow tie dialogue boxes were killing me.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I would love to support a Bat-Mite book... Why, why did it have to go to a writer as bland as Jurgens?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I was actually surprised at how much I liked Bat-Mite. Not gut-bustingly hilarious or anything, but it was cute.

It's definitely one of those books that's sold entirely on the strength of the artist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bat-Mite wasn't terrible and seemed to be more aimed at a younger crowd. The humour definitely seems simpler, and it would probably be something I would give my 9 year niece to read.

Edit: I wasn't expecting much with Bizarro but that preview got me hooked. I laughed out loud at the "me will become a bat" line, and the storyline seems like fun and interesting, plus Bizarro America (AKA Canada represent).

edit again: Dr. Fate is another book with an interesting hook but the preview didn't do much except give a brief glimpse of the characters. No real storyline presented yet. Still nice to see some fun art. So far Bat-Mite, Bizarro and Dr. Fate all seem to embrace a more cartoonish fun style of artwork and it kind of reminds me of early 90's DC titles that were more comedic and chaotic. They are definitely going with a more fun tone with these books. Wonder how fans will react seeing as these three books seem to be pretty unique and there probably won't be tons of crossovers done with them.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 13, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If Justice League United is even based in Canada anymore, Jimmy and Bizarro should keep having little background cameos for six months.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Bizarro is going to be my most anticipated DC title every month, I can already tell.

Action Comics seems interesting. Pak and Kuder have yet to do a truly bad story, they even made Doomed tolerable, so I'll definitely be sticking with the book. Also, now that promo image of t-shirt Superman with the bloody fists makes way more sense than "oh he's dark and violent now oooh so edgy".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So how did Convergence: Suicide Squad end? Worthwhile? I'm prepping my complete Ostrander series (and almost all their pre-New 52 appearances since then) for binding, and I wanted to know if those two issues would be worth including at the end.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Space_Butler posted:

Bizarro is going to be my most anticipated DC title every month, I can already tell.

Action Comics seems interesting. Pak and Kuder have yet to do a truly bad story, they even made Doomed tolerable, so I'll definitely be sticking with the book. Also, now that promo image of t-shirt Superman with the bloody fists makes way more sense than "oh he's dark and violent now oooh so edgy".

Yeah I talked a lot of poo poo about that back when it was first revealed but I definitely did not assume it was going to be his own blood.

When the gently caress is the Robin: Son of Batman preview hitting? That and Black Canary is what I'm looking forward to the most.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So how did Convergence: Suicide Squad end? Worthwhile? I'm prepping my complete Ostrander series (and almost all their pre-New 52 appearances since then) for binding, and I wanted to know if those two issues would be worth including at the end.
It was fairly entertaining. Tieri is clearly a fan of big action sequences and there's not a lot of dialogue or story to it, but Amanda is clearly the star more than anyone else and I appreciate that a lot. The end was especially badass with Amanda suicide bombing Kingdom Come GL's base and in the end they're like "watch she's probably alive and will get pissed we spent all this money on a monument."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shameless posted:

is JLA 3000 this good?

Yeah. Just reading the preview, it's that good and better.

Superman is a great idiot. He keeps forgetting he's a sorta botched clone rather than the real thing and falls off of ledges and windows.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah I talked a lot of poo poo about that back when it was first revealed but I definitely did not assume it was going to be his own blood.

When the gently caress is the Robin: Son of Batman preview hitting? That and Black Canary is what I'm looking forward to the most.

The cover with him on a black background? It wasn't blood, but bits of his cape around his fists.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The cover with him on a black background? It wasn't blood, but bits of his cape around his fists.

Might want to check that image a little closer. There's blood pooled around his feet and his shoes have blood splatter on them. Though if he's lost his powers in the books that might just be his blood. It's also on his shirt, hands, and arms though so it gives you the feeling that he beat someone bloody.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sure. I bet it's designed for you to think he's all vicious with gore encrusted fists at first glance, then you see they're cape shreds to protect his hands.

e: I wonder if they're gonna have to recap these sneak peek things that seem to have quite important bits of plot.
"* See Action Comics Sneak Peek in Convergence: Whatever #2 to find out why Clark's got these cape scraps. - ed"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 14, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I thought all the previews were meant to be excerpted from actual comics. Were they created specifically for these Convergence sneak peeks?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dunbar posted:

Were they created specifically for these Convergence sneak peeks?

Yup. Eight page stories like the three in the FCBD book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sure. I bet it's designed for you to think he's all vicious with gore encrusted fists at first glance, then you see they're cape shreds to protect his hands.
...Why does Superman need cape shreds to protect his hands?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

...Why does Superman need cape shreds to protect his hands?

In the recent Action preview he's mostly depowered and fucks his hands up pretty bad fighting some ninjas who are hiding in the Arctic for some reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the scraps are all he has left of his blanket-cape after the Fortress takes all his Kryptonian stuff back because it thinks he stole it and doesn't recognise him as Kal-El (or even from Krypton, maybe?). That's also why he's likely going back to the jeans and t-shirt outfit. Just buying a random Superman shirt from a gift shop.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Travis343 posted:

In the recent Action preview he's mostly depowered and fucks his hands up pretty bad fighting some ninjas who are hiding in the Arctic for some reason.

I'd love to see supervillains just camping outside the Fortress sharing a thermos of hot coffee, each comparing stories of how THEY will be the one to break in and defeat that no-good savior of humanity. Bonus points if it involves Justice League Antarctica getting reassigned to the North Pole for all of an hour before Superman boots them right back.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

DC is doing a digital first series based on their Bombshell line-up of statues which are based on 1940s pin-ups. Creative team is Marguerite Bennett and Marguerite Sauvage, the latter of whom is extremely talented.

More importantly though they started including some dudes in these designs and they're the best.

Please make Superman a mustachioed strongman from now until the end of time, thanks in advance DC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Superman's moustache is pretty boss.

And Power Girl basically added a scarf to her hair and called it a day.

EDIT: If this turns out anything like the Ame-Comi digital series, it might not be high art, but it'll entertaining as hell in how bizarre it is. I'm already amused as to how you justify Batwoman fighting Nazis in her baseball uniform and skirt.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want posters of all of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Ravager pirate cover is very misleading, in that it looks like something that might be fun to read, and then you open it up and the comic inside is about Deathstroke and his Buster Sword.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Black Canary interview with Fletcher and Wu, plus a little preview art.
http://www.mtv.com/news/2159165/black-canary-exclusive/

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I really hope these Bombshell designs aren't a preview of statues coming down the line because I will drop any amount on a zoot suit Sinestro statue

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Semper Fudge posted:

DC is doing a digital first series based on their Bombshell line-up of statues which are based on 1940s pin-ups. Creative team is Marguerite Bennett and Marguerite Sauvage, the latter of whom is extremely talented.

More importantly though they started including some dudes in these designs and they're the best.

Please make Superman a mustachioed strongman from now until the end of time, thanks in advance DC.

I'm sold.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I love zoot-suit Sinestro, yes :allears:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't buy statues, but I've always loved the retro-'40s pin-up style of those. I'll be interested to see what people think of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
ANOTHER loving UNDERCUT?

What the gently caress DC?

Oh right, an interview with Constantine: The Hellblazer's artist, Riley Rossmo

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It looks perfectly fine in the art. Though it's kind of clear, between the three major publishers (DC, Marvel, Image) that undercuts are slowly turning into the mullet of the 2010s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"All right gang, let's see who's really behind this trend..."

*Dan Didio pulls off rubber mask*

"Macklemore?"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Undercuts, the jeri curl of our time

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Harime Nui posted:

Undercuts, the jeri curl of our time
Someone please explain what an undercut is to the uninitiated? :confused:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's what John Constantine is sporting, in the picture, above.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benny the Snake posted:

Douche hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Benny the Snake posted:

Closely clipped hair on the sides / back, longer (and more styled) on the top.

• Locked thread