Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Were either John or Roxy present and awake for the Hope Nova, a.k.a. The Gadzooks Heard Round The World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

So is slick ever gonna pull Snowman's pin out as a last ditch?

Oh wow, that would gently caress everything. The green sun would no longer ever have existed. First guardians wouldn't have powers or reason to exist. Pretty much nothing as we know it would have happened because so much cause and effect is tied into the actions of the first guardians.

There's next to no loving way that pin won't get pulled at some point.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Glazius posted:

Were either John or Roxy present and awake for the Hope Nova, a.k.a. The Gadzooks Heard Round The World?

Roxy was. She stood beneath his shiny rear end hope field to confront Arenea, and got a nice siesta for her trouble.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So I heard a theory somewhere (unless you like it, then it's totally my theory) that Calliope and Caliborn's game of chess is prophetic, especially now.

We have a presumed Queen who's power they're trying to manage rather than outright eliminate (The Condesce)
A presumed King who we don't see as a threat or potential End-Game, due to his speed being insufficient to be threatening (Jack English)
And a strategist who is making plans based off these (later revealed to be faulty) concepts and notions, that ends of spelling their end (Vriska).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tunicate posted:

It was a totally disorganized fan project going nowhere, until a guy with professional animation experience barged in through the door, took over dictatorial control, and forced them to actually work together.

So basically the opposite of what happened with Zybourne
This explains a whole hell of a lot. Whoever that person is, they are a hero.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Classtoise posted:

So I heard a theory somewhere (unless you like it, then it's totally my theory) that Calliope and Caliborn's game of chess is prophetic, especially now.

Well there was that story here that the Chess game in Alpha timeline Rose's book was the game that him and his sister played. Plus some sort of theory that came from that.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Arquius is so loving funny.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Honestly going to fight the idiot comic relief leprechaun brigade + the one Jack who doesn't kill everything he comes across immediately is the safest option for Jake. Even the Felt that aren't useless are basically just guys with guns.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Jake's just going to get knocked into the following week by Cans.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to need a pic of John and Roxy entering the alpha session both with thousand-yard stares in their eyes. They've seen poo poo.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

A good poster posted:

Jake's just going to get knocked into the following week by Cans.

He's just going to be stuck down in the horse calendars for the rest of the comic, until Lord English finally ends up there and Jake deals him his final defeat, in the proximity of some horses. How ironic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Two Inch Bee posted:

He's just going to be stuck down in the horse calendars for the rest of the comic, until Lord English finally ends up there and Jake deals him his final defeat, in the proximity of some horses. How ironic.

This is distressingly plausible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think we should apply Occam's Razor to all the theories about what's gonna happen. Trying to guess the future is like a Double Edge Sword. Hussy has given us the old Bait-and-Switchblade way too often.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008227

quote:

JADE: my denizen is now guarding it
JADE: as im sure kanaya already knows it will not be released unless you travel there and formally request that she do so
KARKAT: OH YEAH?
KARKAT: IF IT'S THAT SIMPLE, THEN WHY DON'T YOU DO IT!
KARKAT: YOU CAN USE YOUR DOG TELEPORTATION OR WHATEVER.
JADE: i already did
JADE: echidna will not speak with me
KARKAT: HAHAHA!
KARKAT: WHY NOT?
KARKAT: COULD IT BE DUE TO THE FACT THAT YOU'RE A CRAPPY EVIL VERSION OF YOURSELF, AND THE MIGHTY ECHIDNA JUST POSSIBLY HAS TOO MUCH SELF RESPECT TO BOTHER DIGNIFYING THE FARCE YOU'VE BECOME?
JADE: it is not important why, and it changes nothing
JADE: she said she would only speak with another hero of space
JADE: that would be kanaya
JADE: she also cryptically requested the presence of the knight who once helped her with breeding duties
JADE: karkat i gather that would be you

Suddenly i'm way more interested in Karkat and Kanaya's job than I am in anything else

also how the gently caress did Vriska know about all of this again
e: also why is she going along with this, she's always wanted to kill the denizens and sees no point in talking to them, which this job specifically needs to do

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 14, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Like any power gamer, she looked it up.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Grapplejack posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008227

Suddenly i'm way more interested in Karkat and Kanaya's job than I am in anything else

She certainly seems to have gathered a large amount of Exposition.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Vriska's clearly going to advocate for them to try to nuke Echidna.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Akett posted:

Vriska's clearly going to advocate for them to try to nuke Echidna.

I'm pretty sure the list of characters Vriska would advocate attacking on sight outweighs those she wouldn't.

All Surviving Denizens, The Jacks, The Felt, Condy...

vs.

Surviving kids & trolls.

Gamzee probably falls under one of these umbrellas.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's inside a fridge. He could survive a nuke.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

He's inside a fridge. He could survive a nuke.

We don't talk about that.

We.

Do not.

Talk about.

THAT.

:colbert:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WAR FOOT posted:

We don't talk about that.

We.

Do not.

Talk about.

THAT.

:colbert:

Indiana Jones and the Tale of the Boring Aliens was at the very least way better than the Star Wars prequels.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Still digging this strategy talk for actually being a strategy involving organizing a dozen or so characters of wildly varying powers into fighting four different bosses at once. We really must be approaching Homestuck's endgame after all.

I feel like there's a real chance Tavros'll be double-prototyped with GCAT, since Vriska still hasn't dealt with how to neutralize a First Guardian the Condesce has access to and he might be protected from her Communion powers by having Communion powers of his own. Bringing up the double-prototyping concerning him and Rosesprite seems like setup for that to become relevant again and we've also just been reminded of his cat allergies meaning the cruelest/most appropriate next step for Vriska is to make him half-cat.

The only implausible part of that plan is it would involve Vriska trusting Tavros with incredible, omnipotent power.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Honestly, I'd pick GCat going into Rosesprite before Tavrossprite.

If only because it parallels dog-tier Jade.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Then have Dirk use his Prince of Heart powers to pull Jadesprite out of Jade so the Condesce can't take control of her anymore and we'll have three of the four animal/beta-kid sprite combos up and running!

Then we just need a spare John, a bunny and that last kernelsprite...

But I don't know if Vriska would be planning to do that with GCAT - Rosesprite just turned up, after all. Maybe she'll try to get Tavros to go through with it, he refuses due to his allergies, and Rosesprite volunteers instead? That sounds a lot more plausible since it involves Tavros disappointing Vriska yet again.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Wouldn't Jadesprite be almost as big a problem as Jade since she's still a half-animal first Guardian?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bobulus posted:

This is actually super confusing, because first Spades jumped to a dimension where everyone but him and Snowman was dead (which was the the 'real' trolls existed in, since then he killed Snowman and ended that universe) and then later he pulled out those pins and jumped to a dimension where they were alive, which is also somehow ours. So our dimension is defined by the fact that all those characters died and also did not die.

The "universe" encompasses all timelines; this is why Alpha Earth got the same red miles as Beta Earth.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Cat Mattress posted:

The "universe" encompasses all timelines; this is why Alpha Earth got the same red miles as Beta Earth.

I thought Diamonds Droog hit one and Bec Jack Noir the other ... actually I'm not sure how DD's red miles got anywhere, there isn't a bilious slick for the red miles to pierce in the alpha kids' game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
How come everyone is talking about Slick and the Midnight Felt like they're going to pose zero threat when you're also all pretty much agreeing that the elaborate briefing session that we are explicitly privy to means that almost none of Vriska's plans are going to go as she expects?

On top of having robot parts, incredibly high constitution, a cane that transforms into a super gun, a crowbar that cancels out any temporal effects, and a penchant for stabbing, Slick is carrying:

1. The fastest character this side of a Strider
2. Less of a tank and more of a solid brick wall
3. Someone who has already interfered with your past
4. A guy so lucky that guns don't work on him probably you guess
5. Someone who knows every move you're going to make
6. A backup set of lives for everyone (and someone to carry them, you suppose)
7. A guy with the intelligence to come up with an actually good plan for the entire team
8. A good-looking dame
9. A remote healer
10. A tank that will also decommission anyone who gets a hit on him
11. A guy who can teleport through fire
12. Cannon fodder
13. More cannon fodder
14. Hot-swapping of all party members and also a minigun
15. Possibly the ultimate tank who also can permanently remove anyone from the current battlefield

Taking them all out as soon as possible negates most of their effectiveness, sure, but considering they're absolutely not going to have the drop on him, they'll be pretty fortunate if Slick decides they're not worth it.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Yeaaaah, they could definitely do some real damage if they get the chance. And considering that a stiff breeze stern talking-to outmatches Jape and Tavros, Vriska's being a fuckwit again. So it goes.
Really, it's just as bad that she didn't try and send Karkat along with 'em since he's tight with Slick. Well. Relatively tight.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

Honestly, I'd pick GCat going into Rosesprite before Tavrossprite.

If only because it parallels dog-tier Jade.

Oh man, that would be adorable. Roxy would explode.

Hmm, we still have that wallet idea hanging around. I wonder where that will come in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I expect the Jake/Tavros battle, if there is actually one, to be various instances of this set to Omelet Sandwich.

Since Derse has already been fedora-ized I kind of expect Slick's endgame will be to take over that place when all is said and done, re-organize the Midnight Crew and such, etc. I don't think he really has any other particular goal otherwise that would get in the way of the heroes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Grapplejack posted:

My guess so far is that she strung Hussman along for info.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

She time traveled into the future when she got to the session to get some information. She also went back in time to get the ARquius and Tavros sprites made. She has been shown several times with Aradia's time travel things. It is literally pointed out in today's update that she's been scouting out the situation by time traveling. How are you guys still not understanding this?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't think everything she knows about could plausibly come from time travel reconnaissance but I don't remember what couldn't exactly. But that does bring something else up: if she went to the future to see what was coming, and she also saw the exact team composition she's assigning now, then this is it, this is the plan. Welp.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GunnerJ posted:

My guess so far is that she strung Hussman along for info.

Rose is sober. Vriska probably did a lot of consulting with her and Terezi when developing this plan. It'll still go catastrophically wrong because we're approaching the climax, but that's separate from Vriska being Vriska.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Rose is sober. Vriska probably did a lot of consulting with her and Terezi when developing this plan. It'll still go catastrophically wrong because we're approaching the climax, but that's separate from Vriska being Vriska.

Again, Vriska talks about how she and Rose are "doublehandedly" saving everyone, so yeah it's pretty much confirmed that Rose spent a lot of time doing her Seer thing pulling info out of the ether.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Except that Rose and Terezi seem to have made no attempt to do anything remotely Seer-related throughout the whole three years. If Rose was actively helping with her powers, why would Vriska need to do time-hop reconnaissance at all?

No matter how much justification there is for it, it still comes across to me as Vriska arbitrarily knowing everything, and it'll only be satisfying if everything she is planning winds up failing catastrophically.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

frozentreasure posted:

and it'll only be satisfying if everything she is planning winds up failing catastrophically.

Since Hussie just spent several pages having her explain the plan in painstaking detail I think 'catastrophic failure' is pretty much a given.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zoe posted:

Since Hussie just spent several pages having her explain the plan in painstaking detail I think 'catastrophic failure' is pretty much a given.

What if the twist is that it goes smoothly because we're all expecting it to gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

VRISKA: Really, this is some 8asic stuff, and I'm SURE we went over it all at one point during our trip.
ROSE: We did.
ROSE: Karkat, don't you remember when I walked everyone through this?
ROSE: I was making extensive notes in my journal. When I looked away for a moment, you and Dave wrested the tome away, and began scribbling phalluses in it while giggling like children.

Rose says right there there that she was doing Seer poo poo.

I can understand why ya'll are hating the hell out of this interlude if you're not actually retaining anything you read.

Acne Rain posted:

What if the twist is that it goes smoothly because we're all expecting it to gently caress up

im starting to hope this happens just to spite everyone

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 14, 2015