Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They were not very good last season, which is why Tony Levine was sent out on his rear end and Tom Herman arrived to spread the gospel of touchdowns. I was there for the rise of Case Keenum to his rightful spot on the throne of passing, actually, and it owned really hard. We hit on hard times recently, after Sumlin left and they went cheap, but a new stadium and new coach and it's happy times in H-Town.

The history of Houston football is basically touchdowns for days. The height of Coog power was when Andre Ware and David Klingler passed for a billion yards a game in the run and shoot, but an older coach Bill Yeoman invented the veer option. In the last decade notable coaches have included Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin. And if that's not enough, Wade Phillips is (was, actually, but that record just fell recently) the career leader in tackles!

oh gently caress that's right, i remember seeing that klingler held a bunch of the records that halliday broke (or was on pace to break :smith:) plus it came up in every iteration of NCAA 20 _ _ when my QB inevitably tore up 1000 yard games. i'm weak in the knees for "gently caress it, go deep" teams so maybe this is something i can get on board with. and the veer option is good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metapod posted:

who are the teams that people without a team should be watching this year?

Always follow the PAC-12 and Big 12 and then any night games for the SEC/ACC/Big 10. Flip that if you're a ninny/purist. Between that and periodically checking the GDT for upsets/entertaining mid major stuff you should be caught up on most of the best football

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Groucho Marxist posted:

if you want this thread to be entertaining, root for mizzou to get stomped by georgia and then win the sec east when georgia chokes against kentucky or something

UGA is being led by a Schottenheimer too, which will make for some wet fart losses that aren't even particularly entertaining.

So yeah you could follow UGA too

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

NDSU/SDSU are two teams i root for whenever they're playing because of parental loyalties to the dakotas (go jackrabbits and go bison b*tch [in that order]).

gently caress that.

Hate state. Go a 'yote, bitch. :colbert:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Are you desperate for college football? Well do I have the youtube playlist for you.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VDay posted:

Just watch the entire Pac-12 South.
It's gonna be a goddamn dogfight. Everyone except Colorado won 9+ games last season! Five teams have a legit shot at the playoffs!

Naturally I wonder which team will collapse and barely make a bowl, but I assumed that it'd be Arizona last season and welp.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

wheez the roux posted:

sorry but literally nothing will ever make me root for kansas. gently caress your basketball team forever. i will concede however that i obviously root for your football team whenever you're causing an upset (which is basically every win you manage). and i guess i root for your BB if it's vs duke or ND or any of the other double hitlers to your half-mussolini

...KU basketball is Francisco Franco?

Strobe posted:

Anyone looking for a down school to root for should hop on the KU bandwagon. It's disappointment, but it's also a 110% known quantity so it can never actually get worse and it might just get better.

Root for KU football if you're out of tranqs and want to find some other way to go numb.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

wheez the roux posted:

whoa whoa whoa slow down i've got to hear the story behind this lmao

Bob Toledo was the worst coach of a team I have ever followed. He once got extended while at Tulane because he won one more game than the previous season. (He won something like 4 that season.) His nickname among Tulane fans was Banquet Bob because attending banquets seemed to be the only part of coaching he cared for. Toledo gave up recruiting in state, assuming players would either want to play on a better team or couldn't pass classes at Tulane. His in game coaching was also terrible. Tulane's AD will extend a coach's contract after losing seasons and it's happened multiple times. He will take the time to fire a strength and conditioning coach for making a D1 bowling player sprint. I wish they had a different AD. I won't donate anything to their athletic department until they have another AD.

Edit: They got really lucky with getting their current coach. He was a wide receiver coach for the Saints with local ties to the area. They had Rich Rod interested (who they had run off in the past when he wanted to be the head coach) but they couldn't pay him what Arizona gave him. Rich Rod gets poo poo on here but he would have been the best coach Tulane* has had since the 90s by a mile.

*excluding the current coach, Curtis Johnson.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 14, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

you can replace tulane with wazzu in what you just wrote and it's all true for us too

mike leach couldn't orchestrate a win vs. rutgers with gary loving nova at qb

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the answer is always Georgia Southern you fools

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The game that truly broke Miami was losing 48-0 to UVA to close the Orange Bowl

That and the upset of FSU in Oct 2005 are the only notable things we have in 10 years I've been a fan

Also poo poo I started college 10 years ago...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Frinkahedron posted:

Are you desperate for college football?

I am, how did you know

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Groucho Marxist posted:

if you want this thread to be entertaining, root for mizzou to get stomped by georgia and then win the sec east when georgia chokes against kentucky or something

THIS

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tim beckman is a chump he is a jive turkey

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So I'm right in the middle of hiring people right now, and one person submitted an alright application that references his college as "The Ohio State University".

I just don't know if an applicant can recover from that.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
"The Ohio State University" really is on the diploma and it's what all their style and branding guides say to call it. Wait to see if they call if that in conversation. Vocalized it's unforgivable but on a formal document it's technically correct.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, the fans that insist on people using the "the" in casual conversation are unbearable, but it is part of the formal name of the university.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If he just says "The Ohio State University" don't hire him.

If he emphasizes the The then you loving blacklist his rear end to everybody in your field.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Spacebump posted:

Bob Toledo was the worst coach of a team I have ever followed. He once got extended while at Tulane because he won one more game than the previous season. (He won something like 4 that season.) His nickname among Tulane fans was Banquet Bob because attending banquets seemed to be the only part of coaching he cared for. Toledo gave up recruiting in state, assuming players would either want to play on a better team or couldn't pass classes at Tulane. His in game coaching was also terrible. Tulane's AD will extend a coach's contract after losing seasons and it's happened multiple times. He will take the time to fire a strength and conditioning coach for making a D1 bowling player sprint. I wish they had a different AD. I won't donate anything to their athletic department until they have another AD.

Bob Toledo was the ultimate "Holy poo poo, he's still alive/coaching football!?" coach ever to exist. At least Terry Bowden's turning Akron into something watchable.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

If he just says "The Ohio State University" don't hire him.

If he emphasizes the The then you loving blacklist his rear end to everybody in your field.

:agreed:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Democrazy posted:

So I'm right in the middle of hiring people right now, and one person submitted an alright application that references his college as "The Ohio State University".

I just don't know if an applicant can recover from that.

VT's career services sample resumes all had "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)" as the college reference so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Every letter in "the" is capitalized.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michigan's DFO has been suspended indefinitely by Harbaugh. He was picked up for DUI at 2:30AM on Saturday

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Detroit and Ford Field are officially bidding for CFP championship games from 2018-20.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Groucho Marxist posted:

Tennessee wins the East.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How's Miss St look this year? The rest of the SEC west is pretty shaky right now yeah?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

If Bama could be considered shaky, Nick Saban would put it on medical redshirt and sign three more states.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Korranus posted:

If Bama could be considered shaky, Nick Saban would put it on medical redshirt and sign three more states.

True. I havent been keeping up but isn't QB a big question mark still?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

DJExile posted:

Michigan's DFO has been suspended indefinitely by Harbaugh. He was picked up for DUI at 2:30AM on Saturday

Wow, what happened to the due process?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That Works posted:

True. I havent been keeping up but isn't QB a big question mark still?

It's probably a concern, but people said that last year and then they had a dude who at one point they were trying to convert to running back put up one of the most efficient passing seasons in the country.

And as for teams to watch, the answer is Baylor as long as Briles is there. That is the most fun offense, and the Big 12's general disregard for defense makes it even more fun. Auburn with Malzahn should always be fun too. And I really want to see what the I-AA transfer Oregon got does.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Frinkahedron posted:

VT's career services sample resumes all had "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)" as the college reference so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's things like this that make me glad Washington State University never tried to loving gussy up their name into an abomination like that

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky unveiled the new turf design for Commonwealth Stadium today.

I like the new design and the turf is state of the art. UK's logo is changed slightly to be more uniform as well.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

It's probably a concern, but people said that last year and then they had a dude who at one point they were trying to convert to running back put up one of the most efficient passing seasons in the country.

And as for teams to watch, the answer is Baylor as long as Briles is there. That is the most fun offense, and the Big 12's general disregard for defense makes it even more fun. Auburn with Malzahn should always be fun too. And I really want to see what the I-AA transfer Oregon got does.

TCU's offense is super fun to watch. They were my favorite team to watch last year because Maty Mauk made me want to die watching Mizzou on offense.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

wheez the roux posted:

it's things like this that make me glad Washington State University never tried to loving gussy up their name into an abomination like that

We were VPI first...it makes my resume super awkward.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

wheez the roux posted:

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

VT started out as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College which turned into Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute which later turned into Virginia Polytechnic Institute which turned into VPISU when the state sanctioned university status for the school.

The only place you ever really see VPISU on is a diploma, though, for old times sake I suppose. Virginia Tech can be used legally anywhere you use VPI or VPISU.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Former Everything posted:

I like the new design and the turf is state of the art. UK's logo is changed slightly to be more uniform as well.

If you're going to stripe, don't double-width it in the middle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

If you're going to stripe, don't double-width it in the middle.

That's the Lorenzen memorial

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

How soon will this be installed?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Get out your tinfoil hats, Mark Richt is following Everett Golson on Twitter. Turnover machine incoming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

I irrationally hate the new UK logo and hope whoever designed it is fired and then banned for life

Morby posted:

How soon will this be installed?

Should be ready by the start of the season

• Locked thread