Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
gotta love completely locked down group policy

old utility app doesn't run under win7 because it tries to raise a UAC prompt

spend enough time debugging it and realise that pre-vista assemblies with "update" anywhere in the file are elevated in case they are an installer

remove all the manifest attributes with resource tuner

hexedit the assembly to point the c:\program files\blah\blah.dll reference to c:\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\blah\blah.dll

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

~Coxy posted:

gotta love completely locked down group policy

old utility app doesn't run under win7 because it tries to raise a UAC prompt

spend enough time debugging it and realise that pre-vista assemblies with "update" anywhere in the file are elevated in case they are an installer

remove all the manifest attributes with resource tuner

hexedit the assembly to point the c:\program files\blah\blah.dll reference to c:\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\blah\blah.dll

:hellyeah:

I caught some kind of brain problem reading this. nice

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gonadic io posted:

they were so desperate for programmers that he was conducting job interviews within a month or two of being hired

when i interviewed for current job, the last guy interviewing me had just started working that day

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

when i interviewed for current job, the last guy interviewing me had just started working that day

lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
wow, so many students have used logic along the lines of "i used method X to cluster the data as even though it's worse than method Y, it's conceptually simpler and runs instantly on my machine instead of the entire 3 seconds that Y takes"

really?? like the APIs of both are really similar but so many of them chose to use the worse one

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What makes the way they chose worse than the other? Conceptual simplicity can be useful sometimes.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

wow, so many students have used logic along the lines of "i used method X to cluster the data as even though it's worse than method Y, it's conceptually simpler and runs instantly on my machine instead of the entire 3 seconds that Y takes"

really?? like the APIs of both are really similar but so many of them chose to use the worse one

wait, so they choose X because it is simpler to understand and runs faster than Y. so how is X worse than Y?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
maybe i'm just an idiot (i am) but I'm under the impression that EM clustering is an extension of k-means and thus more accurate

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
either way the mark scheme doesn't call for them to be marked down for doing it, i was just wondering

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
also most of them are overfitting to the test data so much down to picking the best seed for their RNG

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gonadic io posted:

also most of them are overfitting to the test data so much down to picking the best seed for their RNG

lmao

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fritz posted:

I was interviewing people at FB within a couple weeks of starting. is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Subjunctive posted:

I was interviewing people at FB within a couple weeks of starting. is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Even if their job is specifically to interview candidates for other roles, starting to interview people on the same day you start work seems a little premature.

Starting to interview people a few weeks in seems fine though, depending on your actual job role, how much prep material and support you can get etc..

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

Even if their job is specifically to interview candidates for other roles, starting to interview people on the same day you start work seems a little premature.

i've literally been asked to consider candidates to land along side me

as in, find us some people we can interview to work under you when you arrive in a few weeks

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i might cancel my technical call for tomorrow but i'm not sure yet. i don't think i'm mentally prepared to deal with it and i'd have to quit when i move back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

Starting to interview people a few weeks in seems fine though, depending on your actual job role, how much prep material and support you can get etc..

eh, interviewing people is a pretty portable skill. if you know what kind of signal you can reliably elicit and how to frame your confidence level, then you can do that for any company with decent recruiting practices. (assuming they need the kind of signal that you are good at getting, of course. I wouldn't be good at interviewing researchers or finance people, but developers and product managers and software managers I can do.)

actually, I now remember having done a few interviews for a friend who was hiring a VPE for his startup, and I didn't even work there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

adding Eq n to the type signature solved the problem, thanks y'all

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

i might cancel my technical call for tomorrow but i'm not sure yet. i don't think i'm mentally prepared to deal with it and i'd have to quit when i move back.

jesus Christ just go through with it dude eff

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
do you always quit the first moment something becomes challenging

because if you do - and it's understandable if you do, it's v common - it's even more important that you stick this out

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

coffeetable posted:

do you always quit the first moment something becomes challenging

because if you do - and it's understandable if you do, it's v common - it's even more important that you stick this out

yes

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
take the interview sulk. then apply for some more positions you're utterly unqualified for

if you don't feel lost on a regular basis, your job is too easy for you + you're not progressing

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 14, 2015

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

triple sulk posted:

do not cancel

look, if you're thinking about cancelling it you obviously wont be crushed if you dont get it. so do it, and even if you gently caress up horribly and give the worst interview ever (which you wont, unless you plan on using racial slurs constantly) you will be better off for having the experience and proving to yourself that you can stick through something

definitely do it. it doesnt matter how you do in this interview, it just matters that you do it

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

don't ever challenge yourself. take the easy way out

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

PLEASE LISTEN TO MY STUPID OPINIONS ON MENTAL ILLNESS. I AM NOT A STUPID SHITHEAD--TRUST ME.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

coffeetable posted:

take the interview sulk. then apply for some more positions you're utterly unqualified for

if you don't feel lost on a regular basis, your job is too easy for you + you're not progressing

i don't feel so much lost as annoyed because xamarin forms is not particularly cool and good, and as a result i have to come up with a bunch of workarounds to piece elements together. UIs are developed in code, so things get messy rather quickly. if i got anything from the current job thus far it's finally being able to work with a more traditional oop language like c#, though i'm still learning more as i go along.

i applied because amazon has an office where i'll be, but there is about a 0.5% chance i'm still there come july of next year so i'll have to quit. i mostly just wanted to work around some people again and there are very few opportunities in the area. i have no cs background and i burn out really quickly when i try to study algorithm books or ones like cracking the coding interview. i understand that there's value in knowing that stuff but it isn't applicable enough to what i'm doing that i need to really care. it sounds like a scapegoat but i also have depression and a lot of stress going on in my life right now which doesn't help.

the only reason i'd be asked to do an on-site is because no one wants to live where the office is, so if i seem even 25% competent it might work in my favor. i do hate feeling like an idiot though and looking at their pdf i'm just not mentally ready for most of it. sorry for sounding like a dumb bitch, it's just hard to have people to talk to.

for what it's worth it's the merchant team or something like that. i don't know the exact team name but the description has talks about "see more buying choices" and "new and used offers"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
you're not getting it. we're saying "it will be good for you to go to the interview, INTENDING to turn them down if they offer it". it doesn't matter if their tech use is poo poo or if they have a weird culture or anything

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

gonadic io posted:

maybe i'm just an idiot (i am) but I'm under the impression that EM clustering is an extension of k-means and thus more accurate

no

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ok

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Arcsech posted:

do not cancel

look, if you're thinking about cancelling it you obviously wont be crushed if you dont get it. so do it, and even if you gently caress up horribly and give the worst interview ever (which you wont, unless you plan on using racial slurs constantly) you will be better off for having the experience and proving to yourself that you can stick through something
this makes me feel better about my upcoming interview. that's a good tip about cutting back on the racial slurs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

(which you wont, unless you plan on using racial slurs constantly)

so THATS what ive been doin wrong!!!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

triple sulk posted:

i applied because amazon has an office where i'll be, but there is about a 0.5% chance i'm still there come july of next year so i'll have to quit. i mostly just wanted to work around some people again and there are very few opportunities in the area.

Ok, you keep bringing this up. Why does this matter? Its Amazon. There's a revolving door for software developers who come in, get Amazon on their resume, then leverage that into a different position. I mean, obviously they want you to stay long term, but its not going to be odd if you're out in a year. Just don't tell them that in the interview. There is no blood pact for working at Amazon.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hi, just popping in to be the nth person to say do the interview bitch

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fleshweasel posted:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i dont think ive ever seen two places agree on what "referential transparency" means, in regards to haskell, and how it differs from "pure"

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

fleshweasel posted:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also jesus christ c++ is downright mean coming from all these languages that just coddle the gently caress out of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

compiler goes, "hey maybe you don't want to do that"

add a thing that you think might solve the problem

compiler stops saying anything, but now your program will explode without warning

• Locked thread