Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Okay just had a quick flick through this thread and can't find what I have wanted to ask, but does anyone have any recommendations for the "Choice of" games series? Just in terms of which ones are good and which are terrible.

Robots is by FAR my favourite and should be your first purchase unless you absolutely hate the setting. Kung Fu is also solid. The Heroes trilogy features some pretty horrid writing, it does get better through the series but some annoying things keep coming up that took me out of it. I didn't feel ripped off though, if you like the setting it's worth considering.

Hosted Games use the same engine and there are some really nice choices there too. I've enjoyed Life of a Wizard the most, feels very D&D, rpg mechanics are satisfying and it's given me plenty of incentive to try to do other things when I start a new game of it. Sabres of Infinity is great. I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I might be crazy, but it felt very Imperial Guard in WH40k. Only one chapter in an incomplete series so there's a lack of closure. Paradox Factor is only $1 and more of a puzzle game than adventure, nothing wrong with that but really it just made me think about those I played back in the day. Can't think of anything offensively bad about it though.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Tagichatn posted:

How is Seabeard's IAP?

Typical F2P dual currencies of coins/pearls. You can get a handful of each by logging in each day. There's also a starter bundle that also comes with an elf outfit for around $2.

There's also an interesting implementation of an energy system: when you travel between islands you can either choose to fast travel for free or play a minigame that takes up one energy but gets you some rewards.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, downloading Seabeard now, though I'm kind of curious as to how good it could be for being free. Hopefully I am totally misguided.

How much like Animal Crossing is this? If my wife were to get this game, is there a lot of interactivity between other players?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love picross but can't play it on my phone because I have normal sized hands so hitting those little boxes is impossible. Anyone know of a more reasonable puzzle game?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

I love picross but can't play it on my phone because I have normal sized hands so hitting those little boxes is impossible. Anyone know of a more reasonable puzzle game?

You can't zoom in?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You can't zoom in?

Obviously I couldn't in whichever one I downloaded yesterday or I wouldn't be asking for a better game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

Obviously I couldn't in whichever one I downloaded yesterday or I wouldn't be asking for a better game.

Hey man, some people don't like zooming in.

Anyway check out Cross Me -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobiledynamix.crossme

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

How much like Animal Crossing is this? If my wife were to get this game, is there a lot of interactivity between other players?

From what little I can gather you can visit their island, post messages on their bulletin board and swap items. You have to connect through Facebook I believe though, and doesn't become available until a bit into the game.

I'm still very early in but compared to Animal Crossing there's very clear cut objectives to complete, and I've spent most of my time so far island hopping to recruit people and fix up a few things in my village. Aurally and visually its super derivative though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

From what little I can gather you can visit their island, post messages on their bulletin board and swap items. You have to connect through Facebook I believe though, and doesn't become available until a bit into the game.

I'm still very early in but compared to Animal Crossing there's very clear cut objectives to complete, and I've spent most of my time so far island hopping to recruit people and fix up a few things in my village. Aurally and visually its super derivative though.

What about the npcs? I take it there probably isn't a vast number of them who come and go and can be befriended?

That would sell the game even more to me, but hey, I've downloaded it, checking it out now. Is there any way to connect with people other that Facebook? I have no problem with using that, but it'd be nice to be able to add non-FB friends, too.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

What should I be saving my premium currency for on Seabeard?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

What about the npcs? I take it there probably isn't a vast number of them who come and go and can be befriended?

That would sell the game even more to me, but hey, I've downloaded it, checking it out now. Is there any way to connect with people other that Facebook? I have no problem with using that, but it'd be nice to be able to add non-FB friends, too.

I just unlocked the friends feature and it looks like FB is the only option, sorry. All the NPCs I've come across so far are only there to give me quests.

wall monitor posted:

What should I be saving my premium currency for on Seabeard?

I've seen a few guides suggest inventory upgrades. Or you can get a pet.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 13, 2015

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Len posted:

CrossMe lets you zoom in. If you have a somewhat larger phone then Hungry Cat Picross isn't bad, the largest puzzles seem to be 10x15 and I can mostly fill in where I touch but still make easily-corrected mistakes occasionally.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Seabeard doesn't look like it should be a mobile game. I'm really impressed so far. I've never played Animal Crossing, but I can see putting time into this game. So if my friends or wife or someone plays, can we link our islands up or share resources or anything cool?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can you send mail to other people? :3:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Doji Sekushi posted:

Bjdw2499

I normally hate this friend code poo poo but this game is pretty cool (pocket mine 2).

E: added every one of you

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect but this game is surprisingly fun. Thanks to the handy google doc I got a bunch of people added!

My friend code: zfvc3886

Finagle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 13, 2015

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Finagle posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect but this game is surprisingly fun. Unfortunately it looks like everyone who posted a code earlier is at the max so I can't add you!

My friend code: zfvc3886

find the google doc from a few pages back and work your way from the bottom up, i added about 20 or so friends and added my name to the list on it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Sleep Furiously is a new word game that has you combining words to form sentences like those fridge magnet poem things. It looks fairly interesting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mrkillboy posted:

Sleep Furiously is a new word game that has you combining words to form sentences like those fridge magnet poem things. It looks fairly interesting.

I'll buy anything named after a Noam Chomsky joke :fap:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Seabeard question - do you ever get a way to offload outfits? I have 4 outfit pieces sitting in my backpack taking up a ton of real estate not knowing they wouldn't disappear into some sort of wardrobe. Have I just not unlocked it yet?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

New Leaf posted:

Seabeard question - do you ever get a way to offload outfits? I have 4 outfit pieces sitting in my backpack taking up a ton of real estate not knowing they wouldn't disappear into some sort of wardrobe. Have I just not unlocked it yet?

Eventually you have the chance to build a warehouse where you can store items.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Been playing pocket mine 2 since it got mentioned in the thread but today I have no inclination at all to play it. Weird.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Snake Rewind, an updated take on Snake from the programmer of the original Nokia game is out on the Play Store.

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is also out. There's a different developer behind this installment, and apart from a graphical upgrade it seems it might be a bit more of the same.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 14, 2015

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Present posted:

Been playing pocket mine 2 since it got mentioned in the thread but today I have no inclination at all to play it. Weird.

Dig down

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Present posted:

I've only been playing a few rounds the last two days. Once you get past that initial frenzy of adding friends, buying packs, and leveling up every other level it slows down dramatically. Not inherently bad but the grind of the metagame starts to show.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Is it just me or is Pocket Mine 2 absolutely murderous on battery life? I was playing it on my Tab S and in the length of time it took to take a poo poo the battery had dropped 6%, which seemed rather high.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Klades posted:

Is it just me or is Pocket Mine 2 absolutely murderous on battery life? I was playing it on my Tab S and in the length of time it took to take a poo poo the battery had dropped 6%, which seemed rather high.

How big a poo poo are we talking, here?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I downloaded crazy-cat-lady sim that Kotaku posted about here: http://kotaku.com/the-japanese-cat-game-we-can-t-stop-playing-1701250319

It's not really a game-game, but it is ridiculously cute.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Finding Seabeard a bit of a slog, especially when it comes to finding resources for building. Driftwood seems to been really sparse!

The couple of daily quests I've found are quite good for topping up your coin (Garbage collection on Seadog Cave and Lighthouse repair on Dorado Mine)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, my wife got a survey about her opinion of a local water park. She had never heard of it, but she had accidentally hit 'Yes' when they asked if she'd been there. The next question asked what her favourite attraction was, and then when she picked one at random, the survey told her that the question was a test and that the water park didn't exist. It then said that her answer will determine her eligibility for future surveys and rewards.

Is she completely screwed for future surveys? :ohdear: She really does answer honestly, and just made a mistake.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So, my wife got a survey about her opinion of a local water park. She had never heard of it, but she had accidentally hit 'Yes' when they asked if she'd been there. The next question asked what her favourite attraction was, and then when she picked one at random, the survey told her that the question was a test and that the water park didn't exist. It then said that her answer will determine her eligibility for future surveys and rewards.

Is she completely screwed for future surveys? :ohdear: She really does answer honestly, and just made a mistake.

Hah, I don't know about her survey future, but I had the same survey this morning. It was something like Karl's Water Slides.. which I'm a big fat guy and don't go on water slides because they hurt. :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got the water park question this morning, and immediately after one that just asked my gender. But that one at least paid.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

Snake Rewind, an updated take on Snake from the programmer of the original Nokia game is out on the Play Store.

This is really cool! Loving the amiga chiptunes.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You guys can just hit the back key if you made a mistake. Unless it's an one question survey.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
:siren: Amazon free bundle :siren:

Notable free games:

Sorcery 3
Five night at Freddy 3
Rebuild

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sorcery 3? Woah that's only been out for like a month

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I messed up and accidentally hit the wrong answer on my first question, which was "what is your gender". I have never been given more questions. I emailed Google and they never replied.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Has anyone tried Knights of Pen and Paper 2? I don't mind paying the 5 bucks, but 5 bucks plus IAP's has me a bit iffy on it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I wish there was a demo/trial version of Knights of Pen & Paper because it's been in my wishlist for a while but I have no idea what the game is like.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

nexus6 posted:

I wish there was a demo/trial version of Knights of Pen & Paper because it's been in my wishlist for a while but I have no idea what the game is like.

It's on the $1 tier of the current Humble Bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That Mola mola! game is retarded and I can't put it down