Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Whoever decided to release the Hannu Rajaniemi short story collection as a limited edition hardcover with no ebook version is an rear end in a top hat.

gently caress you, publishing industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Evfedu posted:

I thought ALFFH was, like, twice as good as his Takeshi stuff. And I really quite enjoyed his Takeshi stuff.

Does ALFFH have his literotica chapters?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Whoever decided to release the Hannu Rajaniemi short story collection as a limited edition hardcover with no ebook version is an rear end in a top hat.

Huh? I still see it in stock on Amazon, unless you're talking about some other short story collection he did.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

gohmak posted:

Oh yeah, except they're man on man now, or man on elf-man to be more precise.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

gohmak posted:

Big time. It also has Morgan turning all kinds of fantasy tropes on their ear, like "provide some kind of satisfying ending to a trilogy," or "explain seemingly important issues being alluded to in the earlier books of your series."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

taser rates posted:

Huh? I still see it in stock on Amazon, unless you're talking about some other short story collection he did.

It's in stock - as a physical book. I don't want a physical book. I actually dislike them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kesper North posted:

It's in stock - as a physical book. I don't want a physical book. I actually dislike them.
When I was a little kid I treated my paperbacks like precious gems or something, but nowdays I prefer ebooks because I won't have to throw them away someday.

There's just not a huge market for used Dragonlance novels in mint condition.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Kesper North posted:

Minor derail, but I'm the same way. Ever since getting my Kindle - which I've since sold... I now do all my reading on my phone - I don't like buying physical books. I don't need another bookshelf full of books I'm never going to re-read taking up tons of space (or sell for pennies on the dollar) thank you very much! There have actually been a couple books I've decided not to read because they didn't offer a Kindle edition (thankfully a rare occurrence these days).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

syphon posted:

Minor derail, but I'm the same way. Ever since getting my Kindle - which I've since sold... I now do all my reading on my phone - I don't like buying physical books. I don't need another bookshelf full of books I'm never going to re-read taking up tons of space (or sell for pennies on the dollar) thank you very much! There have actually been a couple books I've decided not to read because they didn't offer a Kindle edition (thankfully a rare occurrence these days).

Yep. Same. My latest phone is a phablet for this very reason. Also: reading in the dark without a flashlight, never losing your place, being able to increase font size when my eyes are tired, and not having to cart books around when travelling. I even find physical books uncomfortable and awkward to hold and use, comparatively.

Having some physical books around on a shelf is nice, but it's much more of a display/collection thing. Now that I think about it, the last time I got one off the shelf was after a big storm when all the power went out for a couple of days.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It becomes frustrating when certain high-profile authors use their popularity for exclusive access deals (Harry Potter) or exclude e-books for vague legacy reasons (last Wheel of Time book). I hate looking at the hoops publishers want me to jump through to buy a certain book, then noticing that the book in question is very easily pirated. I suppose it's the RIAA/MPAA all over again.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Haha yea, fair point, I was assuming your complaint was more about the limited edition part than the no e-book part, I can definitely sympathize with that.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
Yesterday I finished "The Technician". Yup, I'm still consuming Asher's universe.

I have liked it quite a lot. It revisits the Masada world, with its nice and friendly fauna, and you get to know perhaps a little bit more you would want to about Hooders, Heroynes and the rest of funny beasts which inhabit there. But it is not just another gore-ish story about alien animals. Actually, it has an interesting character, and the bad guys are not so cartoonish as usual (but the guy who is closer to be the "hero" is as flat as Cormac).

The book contains spoilers for previous novels (it happens about 20-30 years after the facts narrated in "Line of Polity", and there are referencies to events that I guess are narrated in "Dark Intelligence").

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amberskin posted:

Yesterday I finished "The Technician". Yup, I'm still consuming Asher's universe.

I have liked it quite a lot. It revisits the Masada world, with its nice and friendly fauna, and you get to know perhaps a little bit more you would want to about Hooders, Heroynes and the rest of funny beasts which inhabit there. But it is not just another gore-ish story about alien animals. Actually, it has an interesting character, and the bad guys are not so cartoonish as usual (but the guy who is closer to be the "hero" is as flat as Cormac).

The book contains spoilers for previous novels (it happens about 20-30 years after the facts narrated in "Line of Polity", and there are referencies to events that I guess are narrated in "Dark Intelligence").

Dark Intelligence is basically just the sequel of the Technician.
As for the Technician, the ending became a little bit too much Deus Ex Machina. Still good though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

syphon posted:

Last year I threw 2-3 carloads of old books into the paper recycling dumpster because it was easier than trucking them to a used bookstore and dealing with reselling. The only ones I bothered to keep were things like Discworld/Dresden/etc, which I kept because they're long series that I know that I'll revisit at some point and I don't want to re-buy 10 books. I figure that if I'm not willing to buy it for Kindle for a re-read, I can't have wanted to read it that badly.

I decided to do it after realizing that I hadn't read a physical book in at least two years, despite having a room full of them. I have no regrets and a lot more storage space.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Jesus Christ, you monster.....

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

You could have donated them to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, school, church, or library. Some coffee shops have informal lending libraries, prisons are always looking for reading material... Literally anything other than a garbage can. :(

I read Hyperion a couple of months ago, and just finished The Fall of Hyperion earlier today. I liked them, except for the very end of each book where they link up arm in arm and start singing a song from "The Wizard of Oz" as they trot off into the distance. Maybe there's some larger significance to it, and I'm probably just being nitpicky, but it bothers the hell out of me for reasons I'm having a hard time articulating.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I'd like to echo this "gently caress you". Though also I'm weak and I admit it. I ordered the physical book copy just on the chance we don't ever get an ebook version in the future. I blame Hannu for writing stuff I think is awesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I read Hyperion a couple of months ago, and just finished The Fall of Hyperion earlier today. I liked them, except for the very end of each book where they link up arm in arm and start singing a song from "The Wizard of Oz" as they trot off into the distance. Maybe there's some larger significance to it, and I'm probably just being nitpicky, but it bothers the hell out of me for reasons I'm having a hard time articulating.
It's a way of ending the things with some hope for the future. If you want to keep said hope, don't read Endymion.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I forgot to write down the authors name when he was last talked about, what I remember is someone said he creates really good, scary alien creatures that make Alien look cute.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

goodness posted:

I forgot to write down the authors name when he was last talked about, what I remember is someone said he creates really good, scary alien creatures that make Alien look cute.

Maybe it was somebody talking about Neal Asher and his Spatterjay series?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Speaking of Ebook availability, I noticed James Morrow's stuff is available finally!

I loved "This is How The World Ends" and "Only Begotten Daughter". So excited to finally read "Towing Jehovah". :dance:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of ebook availability, what's available for Kindle Unlimited that isn't garbage?

I find myself with a year of membership and, uh, I thought it was just unlimited access to everything. You know, because then it's Kindle. Unlimited.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DarkFuse has all of their titles on KU, though they are predominantly horror.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Should j read any other books in the Polity? Universe or does each stand on its own?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of ebook availability, what's available for Kindle Unlimited that isn't garbage?

I find myself with a year of membership and, uh, I thought it was just unlimited access to everything. You know, because then it's Kindle. Unlimited.

IME it had enough to last the free month, but I hit bottom after that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pretty much the only reason for an author to go Kindle Select (which makes the book available for KU but means you can't sell it on other sites) is if they're not selling well on other sites. There is usually a reason for that. There are exceptions, of course (apparently erotica has shifted heavily towards KU as the main source of revenue for authors), but I would guess for most authors with successful (= not garbage) books the added income from KU doesn't offset the lost sales on other sites.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well, that certainly explains why it's a loving wasteland.

(If I'd known about the free month I would have just been like "no, don't buy this, let me check it out first" - and of course I was dumb enough to not bother looking first in either case - so now I took it and their system can't cancel the year transaction if you take the free month after so I get to wrestle with their customer service again. Usually Amazon's a lot better than this.)

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
For Aussies: randomly looked at Booktopia for Phillip Reeve's Mortal Engines series.

Absolute bargain!

http://www.booktopia.com.au/the-world-of-mortal-engines-phillip-reeve/prod9781407134994.html

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It has a smattering of Proper Stuff, some PKD, in particular? Agree that the name is a misleading joke, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beef Hardcheese posted:

You could have donated them to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, school, church, or library. Some coffee shops have informal lending libraries, prisons are always looking for reading material... Literally anything other than a garbage can. :(

A lot of places won't take books. The last time my dad moved he wanted to clear out his old books because he had gotten a Kindle and discovered that nobody wanted them unless they're stuff like Tom Clancy or Stephen King.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yep, Neal Asher, but I was talking about "Line of Polity" and "Brass Man". I understand the Spatterjay creatures are even cutier, but I have not read those books yet.

goodness posted:

Should j read any other books in the Polity? Universe or does each stand on its own?

As I understand it, there are two series, whose books should be read in order:

- The Ian Cormac series, formed by Gridlinked, Line of Polity, Brass Man, Polity Agent and Line War.
- The Spatterjay serues, formed by The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech and Orbus.

Apart, there are stand-alone novels, who reference and are referenced by the "series" books:

- Prador Moon, Hilldiggers, Shadow of the Scorpion and The Technician.

I'm not sure where "Dark intelligence" fits here.

The standalone books can be read on their own, but they spoil heavily the main series.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 14, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Amberskin posted:

Apart, there are stand-alone novels, who reference and are referenced by the "series" books:

- Prador Moon, Hilldiggers, Shadow of the Scorpion and The Technician.

I'm not sure where "Dark intelligence" fits here.

Follows The Technician and spoils that and everything before it, is otherwise standalone for now.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of places won't take books. The last time my dad moved he wanted to clear out his old books because he had gotten a Kindle and discovered that nobody wanted them unless they're stuff like Tom Clancy or Stephen King.

In my experience, libraries take everything that's not:

* in terrible condition
* a textbook
* readers digest condensed books
* national geographics

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing

fritz posted:

In my experience, libraries take everything that's not:

* in terrible condition
* a textbook
* readers digest condensed books
* national geographics

That's because we generally sell them for dirt cheap prices during periodic used book sales and eventually toss the rest. Rarely, if ever, do we keep donated books for circulation. The problem mostly is that we're regularly getting in new books and have a surprisingly finite amount of space. I was pretty surprised when I started working there. At least that's what we do at the seven branches I work at; it could be different elsewhere, I suppose.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

robotox posted:

That's because we generally sell them for dirt cheap prices during periodic used book sales and eventually toss the rest. Rarely, if ever, do we keep donated books for circulation. The problem mostly is that we're regularly getting in new books and have a surprisingly finite amount of space. I was pretty surprised when I started working there. At least that's what we do at the seven branches I work at; it could be different elsewhere, I suppose.

Nah, that's pretty universal. Still, I'd rather let the library get a crack at selling my books to support themselves before they go out. I trade most of my stuff but sometimes I end up with too many to make it worthwhile.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

occamsnailfile posted:

Nah, that's pretty universal. Still, I'd rather let the library get a crack at selling my books to support themselves before they go out. I trade most of my stuff but sometimes I end up with too many to make it worthwhile.

And a lot of libraries can still figure out a use for items they wouldn't put in circulation:

I'm not trying to dogpile on anyone or their dad for tossing books; just trying to share some information. Even if you box them up and leave them outside of a library like a foundling, the worst-case scenario is that the staff will look it over and put it in with their own recycling. :)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

So someone explain the logic of books not being for sale in some parts of the world as ebooks that are google-able for sale in other parts of the world, and how that discourages piracy.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Anias posted:

So someone explain the logic of books not being for sale in some parts of the world as ebooks that are google-able for sale in other parts of the world, and how that discourages piracy.

That's an easy one. It is the same logic for netflix and similar services not being allowed to operate in some parts of the world, while the pirated material is easily reachable via :filez:.

That is: the greed and stubborn stupidity of rights owners.

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing

Amberskin posted:

That's an easy one. It is the same logic for netflix and similar services not being allowed to operate in some parts of the world, while the pirated material is easily reachable via :filez:.

That is: the greed and stubborn stupidity of rights owners.

Let us not forget also the different laws of various countries as well as the fact that a lot of them are handled by different publishers in different companies, whose policies, motivations, and ability to see reason vary.

But also, yes, copious amounts of greed and stubborn stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My Mum and I have a ton of old paperbacks (SF/F and other) that are getting spotty with age (foxing) and are readable still but the following places have turned them away:
• second hand shops
• goodwill type stores
• charity book sales, organisational booksales (universities and so on)
• libraries
• books-for-the-homeless charities

Apparently all of those places get deluges of books in Australia and they only take the best quality books.

Mum got frustrated a month or two ago and got rid of a good portion of them by literally throwing them in the recycling. If nobody wants these books what else can we do?