Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Look at this map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well that's one way to start a new page.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
red algea blooms off the coast

this is what happens when you dump untreated sewage jerks

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

Dominions world is suffering the aftereffects of the previous Pantokrator's rampant industrialization without regard for environmental factors.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Theogenic climate change is a myth, the environment has always changed.

The heat from the second sun is negligible compared to the damage from natural earthquakes and associated troglodytes.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 14, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The map generator coughs up some very nice colors if you play with it a bit.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kitfox88 posted:

And now we know why there's 4 angry water nations in that game.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Blugh, how the hell does a battle magic nation take on a blood nation? I can't do a drat thing against Abysia late game because Man's mages need to be in commtacunions to kill things with lightning bolts. But I'm losing 10 mages a turn to Slayers, horrors and assasin spells. There is nothing for me to lightning bolt. :smithicide:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Slaan posted:

Blugh, how the hell does a battle magic nation take on a blood nation? I can't do a drat thing against Abysia late game because Man's mages need to be in commtacunions to kill things with lightning bolts. But I'm losing 10 mages a turn to Slayers, horrors and assasin spells. There is nothing for me to lightning bolt. :smithicide:

And now you know why blood nations cannot be allowed to reach the lategame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mist Form? an air gem and Summon Lesser Air Elemental on all your research mages? Rain of Stones if he ever tries to bring blood magic into battle? Phantasmal Warrior/Ghost Wolves spam?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
shoot his old man warlocks with seeking arrows. kill him with longbows or crossbows forty turns ago because hes abysia

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dis astranagant posted:

Mist Form? an air gem and Summon Lesser Air Elemental on all your research mages?

You can try this and cross your fingers but in case you're not aware...

The Dom4 Manual posted:

The target of an assassination is considered to be surprised and will not follow any scripted orders he or
she may have.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The ai LOVES summoning spells and self buffs, so it should still work.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why do priest assassination victims always give themselves a sermon of courage before they die, even when they could be shooting fire at the attacker

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
they have to makre sure they dont run away

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

dis astranagant posted:

The ai LOVES summoning spells and self buffs, so it should still work.

Yeah if you give an A mage an A gem (s)he will almost certainly cast Summon (Lesser) Air Elemental.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Chunky Panty, one of the badnations games, is over. I sort of won as the last person remaining that's not an AI. It was more of a draw between me (Atlantis) and Boing (TC) and sort of AI Ermor (previously FnF).

Graphs:

So yeah a water nation sort of won.

I had a pretty bad start with my awake god dying turn 4 or something. Luckily the same thing happened to the other water nation. Normally MA R'lyeh would probably beat EA Atlantis but I was faster in deploying mass sharks and won a few early battles + I took some land provinces he couldn't get to, and those land provinces were really rich compared to lovely uw provinces. I was slowly winning and at some point the R'lyeh player disappeared (rip Afrosquirrel). If that hadn't happened I would probably not have been ready in time for the big showdowns on land.

I'd already helped TC out in a land war while R'lyeh was still alive so I had a decent amount of provinces. The big land players at that point were mainly Ulm and Ermor, with TC and LA Mari on the side. I only know that TC helped Ermor beat Ulm while I slowly ate indie thrones, AI Arco and the much smaller and newer LA Mari.

Ulm then went AI and TC and Ermor started fighting. TC tried to put up Nexus but failed even after alchemizing all his gems while Ermor was putting up more and more gently caress you globals ( he ended with strands, wrath of god and vengeful). TC then kinda gave up on attacking Ermor as far as I know because he couldn't move his mages into Ermor dom easily until he had Tartarians.

Then Ermor went AI and I started smashing my magestacks into TC because we both had max research. TC gave up not long after because gently caress communions lategame (I was just scripting frozen heart on all of my mages and killing horrors).

I also guess we both went into blood and I had some heliophages and all the elemental royalty and lotsa gems I literally couldnt spend because maelstrom is cool like that. I was also gonna make vampires but then I realised they would drown if they died and respawned on my cap rip.

Oh and I had almost no troops until at the end I started making bats and wolves because all my money was going into mages.

I think that's all? Hopefully some land nation can tell you what happened in the ~65 turns I didn't have a scout presence because uw provinces don't get indie scouts.

e: I got the graphs using my lotsa gems to cast eyes of god.

Absum fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 14, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Absum didn't mention how horrible attacking Ermor's dominion really was. Communions are fragile enough as it is without half of the mages in them being feebleminded or assassinated by water elementals or struck by lightning every turn. My siege stacks didn't last long either, and my preachers couldn't survive long enough to get rid of those black candles. It really was a slog. By the end game I was putting out a siege team of an indy commander with winged shoes, a gate cleaver, bottle, and 5 great eagles every turn, but it was a lot of effort that honestly didn't get me very far. My tartarians could fight in Ermor's dom at least and take provinces, but to win the game I had to take about 4-5 of his forted thrones, of which I had taken one when turn 100 came around. Then Absum attacked me and I discovered it's surprisingly hard to kill unscripted stacks of Mages of the Deep even with defensive RoS traps, horrors, tartarians, and meteor communions on demand.

This was also the game that spawned the amazing golem fight gif between me and Ermor, which I will re-link here for posterity:

It's actually an excellent metaphor for the game overall.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slaan posted:

Remember all those posts and IRC messages from me telling people they needed to stop trading with abyssia and kill him right now while he was helpless

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Remember all those posts and IRC messages from me telling people they needed to stop trading with abyssia and kill him right now while he was helpless

:shobon:

Against assassin spam you should stick two air gems on every single magister arcane, which converts them from the very wise and powerful script of Iron Skin + suicide by Shockwave to Summon Air Elemental.

Most mages with 2 in an element will drop an elemental if someone tries to assassinate them. N mages will often swarm with nature gems.

Also I have the coolest looking army and therefore deserve to win. :colbert:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Meanwhile Bogarus and I raid each other with horrors and teleporting void summons. I anticipate a decisive encounter within the next several ice ages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Basically

then suddenly

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
blood is haraam and true abyssians only use fire

maybe a little earth too

but mostly fire

honour

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I found a cool site in dank memes bro:

I think that blue line is iloveu and his Bogarus. Kill blood imo (but not me, I am friendly blood)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

He's the only one who blinded? YOU ARE ALL COWARDS

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Man is really, really bad lategame.

Sorry.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Man is really, really bad lategame.

Sorry.

This is not actually true. Magisters Arcane are recruit anywhere and can do rain of stones (which you should prioritize getting) amongst other things. A well designed god will open up other options for them.

RoS is extremely powerful in the dom4 meta.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is not actually true. Magisters Arcane are recruit anywhere and can do rain of stones (which you should prioritize getting) amongst other things. A well designed god will open up other options for them.

Right. They are quite powerful against armies and other mages in battle. They just have very few options to deal with horrors, as phantasmal attack is pretty terrible (they lost half the time I cast it) and so is seeking arrow. It didn't help that I found almost no gem sites in my territory, so I couldn't summon in guys to improve my paths easily.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh I thought he was talking about MA Man for some reason (which is very bad).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

Right. They are quite powerful against armies and other mages in battle. They just have very few options to deal with horrors, as phantasmal attack is pretty terrible (they lost half the time I cast it) and so is seeking arrow. It didn't help that I found almost no gem sites in my territory, so I couldn't summon in guys to improve my paths easily.

To be fair, blood is kind of its own tier in the late game. But on a not blood vs not blood kind of basis man can work!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

To be fair, blood is kind of its own tier in the late game. But on a not blood vs not blood kind of basis man can work!

Bootstrap your way into blood so you can fight with blood. Demons for everyone!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

This really is just the best thing. Look at them go!

From about the first quarter/third of the graphs up to the midway point, I was at war with Ulm. This ended up being almost entirely fruitless, due in no small part to the preposterous number of zots he was fielding and raiding me silly with. He also had huge regular armies too, it was quite something. Somehow I managed to fight him back to where we started, then out of sheer war-fatigue we called a truce (as everyone else was winning while we were accomplishing nothing). I think very soon after that, TC (Boing) attacked Ulm in force. I don't know how much TC had been doing before against Ulm, but I don't think it was very much. Anyway, a very short number of turns after, Ulm unexpectedly went AI, all but giving TC huge swathes of land - you can see this quite dramatically in the graphs (I had switched to devouring AI-Arco). I'm convinced that if Ulm hadn't gone AI the game would have turned out very differently.

As it was, I never really stood much of a chance against a TC with 50-100% more income than me. He had more troops, better troops, better communions (Pillar of Fire is fun but ultimately loses out to Geomancers just because there's so much more you can do with Earth communions). Oh, and he could Rain-of-Stones me, which is an almost-perfect counter to dozens of frail Augurs. Because EA Ermor and MA TC are so similar in style (infantry w/ tower shields, cheap communions) there was nothing different I could really fight back with, just more of the same, but with a weaker economy. I eventually caught up the golem deficit, but Earth communions just cast Shatter and go for an early lunch :argh: It turned out that the only thing I could do was this :

Which I hadn't planned on at all. I ended up empowering an Augur Elder and a Mage of Winter a whole bunch, plus forging artefact boosters, to squeeze those globals up. I fully expected to not get at least two up, but figured I should try, as there was actually nothing else I could even remotely do.

And no-one dispelled them!

Even with them up, all it did was temporarily halt the invasion until TC's Tarts came stomping through, and as I had nothing that could fight them off that couldn't be RoS'd or Shattered, the writing was well-and-truly on the wall.

I learned a lot about EA Ermor, not least of which is that they can field an awful lot of priestly power. I actually really like the F1H2 guys, because all they need is a Fire-in-a-Jar and they can Fireball / Pillar of Fire, and then quickly preach down the enemy territory they just took. My actual strategy didn't really go much past "Ermor has lots of priests and healers - let's pretend to be Ur!". You can do this pretty well with a pretender that doesn't need any paths - I chose a Dom10 E4N3 Gorgon, which was fine for expanding, but turned out to be far too frail to confidently oppose any big armies. A dragon would have been much better, sadly. It was pretty fun to revive my pretender in a single turn and have all its afflictions healed, but it's not enough for a winning strategy by itself though!

The other thing that was hammered home was that EA Ermor has sod-all magic depth. Plenty of breadth, but there's no chance of casting or forging anything meaningful with your native mages. This is actually really painful, and you should really plan around it (which was exactly what I didn't do :v: )

It was still a good game and I'm pleased with 3rd place; the bad-nations concept is very fun. I'm not entirely sure what I'd change about EA Ermor but it needs something - non-StR and/or sacred (not necessarily holy) Augur Elders would be a start.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yo maybe this will make MA Man less bad and help out LA Man a bit too.

It's a mod that gives Man a Communion Master spell at N2 called Choral Lead, and Communion Slave at N1 called Harmonise, both at Ench 0. It's called Commanion, because that is a weak pun, and it has a LOVELY icon which doubles as the download link.

Obviously just as the Lava Elementals mod made Abysia gamewinningly imbalanced, this will DESTROY the traditional meta.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

FnF posted:

From about the first quarter/third of the graphs up to the midway point, I was at war with Ulm. This ended up being almost entirely fruitless, due in no small part to the preposterous number of zots he was fielding and raiding me silly with. He also had huge regular armies too, it was quite something. Somehow I managed to fight him back to where we started, then out of sheer war-fatigue we called a truce (as everyone else was winning while we were accomplishing nothing). I think very soon after that, TC (Boing) attacked Ulm in force. I don't know how much TC had been doing before against Ulm, but I don't think it was very much. Anyway, a very short number of turns after, Ulm unexpectedly went AI, all but giving TC huge swathes of land - you can see this quite dramatically in the graphs (I had switched to devouring AI-Arco). I'm convinced that if Ulm hadn't gone AI the game would have turned out very differently.

I was actually attacked by both Bogarus and Shinuyama at the same time in year 2 or so, so I spent much of the game fighting them off. I managed to win on both fronts because geomancer communions make for a really strong midgame (at least against nations with horrible troops), and neither had the research to make their own mages very threatening. After I took both of their caps I pretty much went for Ulm immediately after.

TC has the same problem you mention probably to a greater degree, with even more magical breadth and even less depth - my slow-to-recruit cap only mages provided a gradual trickle of e2s, f2s, s2s and a2s, and it was a struggle bootstrapping my way up from that. Easy Rain of Stones is probably the only redeeming feature of those randoms. I did manage to find a Litter Skull which let me recruit d2s every turn, and by the end of the game I had bootstrapped into blood, so I had literally every magic path covered, but it still took a lot of empowering for me to make Faerie Queens (for air stuff) and Liches (for Tartarians) and Troll Kings (for Earth Attacks) and actually useful high path mages, and by the time I got there Absum had already outdone me in pretty much every respect since he had massive gem income and pretty much every elemental royalty (which I found out only after trying to summon them myself).

I enjoyed the game a lot up until the end slog against your horrible murder dominion. There really should be a blood nation in every game that just acts as a turn timer to stop things going on too long

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Man, I don't even get to see what happened on the turn I lose? That's a little obnoxious. I wanted to see if my earthquake defense inflict any damage in garbageidiot. :(

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just to double check: if I'm playing in a llamaserver game and try to set a second nation to AI; I will get a duplicate CD Key error, right? I would need to get someone not in the game to do it for us (since the original player vanished).

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Corbeau posted:

Man, I don't even get to see what happened on the turn I lose? That's a little obnoxious. I wanted to see if my earthquake defense inflict any damage in garbageidiot. :(

I'm pretty sure you can, if you log into the game on the turn after?

What happened was your god sallied into my army and mage stack who were all scripted to summon air elementals, and got ganked before she could cast any earthquakes and died. Then my army and mage stack stormed your cap, but because they spent all their gems killing your god with air elementals, it was a more brutal fight than it should have been and I lost 50 tuatha. :rip:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Det_no posted:

Just to double check: if I'm playing in a llamaserver game and try to set a second nation to AI; I will get a duplicate CD Key error, right? I would need to get someone not in the game to do it for us (since the original player vanished).

Only if you connect from multiple places simultaneously I think. I've taken turns for multiple people in disciples and set others ai without problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Boing posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, if you log into the game on the turn after?

What happened was your god sallied into my army and mage stack who were all scripted to summon air elementals, and got ganked before she could cast any earthquakes and died. Then my army and mage stack stormed your cap, but because they spent all their gems killing your god with air elementals, it was a more brutal fight than it should have been and I lost 50 tuatha. :rip:

Nope, I was not able to log in to Berytos to see the last turn. I don't know why. I was hoping to delay until I could get RoS, but you managed to pull together too many besiegers. Plus I was hoping you were still on evocation spam.

• Locked thread