Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ehud posted:

"Charlize Theron sure talked a lot during the trailers, while I don’t think I’ve heard one line from Tom Hardy. And finally, Charlize Theron’s character barked orders to Mad Max.

Nobody barks orders to Mad Max."

That has to be my favorite quote in a long time.

It's nice that they came out waving a big banner that said "IGNORE ME I DONT KNOW WHAT I'M loving TALKING ABOUT" right from jump street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The whole MRA thing seems so clearly superficial to me. With how well the movie is scoring and how excited people generally are to see it, this whole "silent boycott" shenanigans or whatever just strikes me as desperation.

quote:

‏@pattonoswalt
@TheReddestRose @dailydot I sincerely hope they boycott the movie and someday die never having gotten to see it. HA HA HA! Wow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/reviewer-reaction-mad-max-sexism/

Holy poo poo, these MRA quotes. :circlefap:

I love this movie already.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Here is Sweden it's kinda frowned upon to go and see a movie alone.

But gently caress it. No one can until like the end of this month and I'm off from work today.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Simple Simon posted:

Here is Sweden it's kinda frowned upon to go and see a movie alone.

But gently caress it. No one can until like the end of this month and I'm off from work today.

Is this a real thing, or a perceived thing? As in "Look at that guy - he's all alone!" or "Boy, I feel like a dork because I'm doing this thing by myself..."

Granted, here in the US, it's usually more of a social thing where you ask family/friends to go so you can talk about it and hang out. But it would be kind of weird that people would think you're a loon just because you happen to go to a theater alone...

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

Push me, shove you!

Oh yeah, says who, the feminist agenda?

:golfclap:

Relevant to nothing other than general Mad Max appreciation, the scene you reference where we first meet Toecutter and his marauders in that town is incredible. The dread and menace in that scene is palpable. poo poo, it might be the scariest scene in the entire series for me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The whole MRA thing seems so clearly superficial to me. With how well the movie is scoring and how excited people generally are to see it, this whole "silent boycott" shenanigans or whatever just strikes me as desperation.
God I love Patton Oswalt.

Just got back from seeing it in the UK. loving incredible.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just saw this and it's one of the most visually great looking films. The sandstorm bit is so pretty and the massive car battles were amazing. The 3D conversion was really good and we have those passive Dolby 3D systems in the bigger cinemas so it looks way better than with the lovely RealD active shutter glasses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am so stoked to see this on Saturday. It's looked like pure awesomeness since the first trailer.

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

Just come back from seeing it in the uk as well :)

Lives up to the hype

I was pleasantly surprised by that model, Rosie Huntington whatever, thought she was really good. The wives reminded me a little of the characters from predator, where they have just enough personality and the actors just enough charisma, that they are all memorable and distinct despite having no real development as such.

Only negative and it could just be me, in the beginning max says he's a cop, and later Furiosa talks about her childhood. I dunno i just got this weird feeling that it was something left over from when Mel Gibson was supposed to be Max that Max should be like 20 years older than her

Max was a cop before the world fell, she was a child, yet they are the same age???

A teeny tiny scratch in the paintwork, otherwise flawless

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is this a real thing, or a perceived thing? As in "Look at that guy - he's all alone!" or "Boy, I feel like a dork because I'm doing this thing by myself..."

Granted, here in the US, it's usually more of a social thing where you ask family/friends to go so you can talk about it and hang out. But it would be kind of weird that people would think you're a loon just because you happen to go to a theater alone...

Sorta real. Mostly people will find you to be the odd one. Gotten some weird looks from the staff at the cinema, when I've gone alone. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy I got some weird looks from the staff and the question "Are you sure you wanna see it alone?". If you order tickets for a online it will always assume that there are at least two going to see the movie but maybe that's everywhere?

I mean, there's also a monopoly here in Sweden on the cinema industry. There is only SF Bio (Swedish Films Cinema). So if you wanna see a movie that's the place. There's also a state monopoly on Alcohol and until a couple of years ago there was monopoly on pharmacies as well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

fatninja187 posted:

Just come back from seeing it in the uk as well :)

Lives up to the hype

I was pleasantly surprised by that model, Rosie Huntington whatever, thought she was really good. The wives reminded me a little of the characters from predator, where they have just enough personality and the actors just enough charisma, that they are all memorable and distinct despite having no real development as such.

Only negative and it could just be me, in the beginning max says he's a cop, and later Furiosa talks about her childhood. I dunno i just got this weird feeling that it was something left over from when Mel Gibson was supposed to be Max that Max should be like 20 years older than her

Max was a cop before the world fell, she was a child, yet they are the same age???

A teeny tiny scratch in the paintwork, otherwise flawless

Max (Mel Gibson) was 22 in the first movie.

So if Furiosa was 13 or 14 when Max was 22, that's not terribly far off.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This movie

Was REALLY loving good. Holy loving fun.

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Max (Mel Gibson) was 22 in the first movie.

So if Furiosa was 13 or 14 when Max was 22, that's not terribly far off.

Like i said it could just be me

I do love the mental image of a bunch of corporate studio guys, the kind of people who thought a PG13 Robocop remake was a good idea, watching the dailies and wondering what the gently caress

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

fatninja187 posted:

I do love the mental image of a bunch of corporate studio guys, the kind of people who thought a PG13 Robocop remake was a good idea, watching the dailies and wondering what the gently caress

The Robocop remake was decent.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

gently caress off, troll.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just saw it. Loved it. poo poo, what an experience. Loved that Max seemed a passenger in the story of Furiosa. Loved nearly two straight hours of mayhem. Loved how much show and how little tell there was.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

fatninja187 posted:

Yeah except apparently when they saw the footage that came back they sent George Miller back out with another bucket of cash for a few more months in the desert :D

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

gently caress off, troll.

It would of been okay if it wasn't a robocop movie. I really liked the just the head and some organs reveal.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Which is pretty much the worst thing a remake of a brilliant film can be.

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

TerminalBlue posted:

Which is pretty much the worst thing a remake of a brilliant film can be.

quoted for truth

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just saw it.

See this movie. You need it in your life.

Incredible how much world building they managed in one movie, and at no point actually stopped to spell it out. Like the stilt-walkers in the quagmire, or the bikers in the canyon.

Also, Nux was the best character by miles.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Also, Nux was the best character by miles.

MEDIOCRE

I think I've seen the same movie in theaters maybe two or three times in my entire life. Going to see this again this weekend :v:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Saw it.
Oh man, wow.

Though, as a long time hardcore fan, it was very confronting in some ways, still not ready to feel like it is in the same world.

Best way I could describe it without revealing anything, though, is how I compared my interest in it to those who had invested so much into the Star Wars prequels... EXCEPT: No overuse of CGI, no boring rear end dialogue and nothing even close to Jar Jar Binks.

So, yeah, it was good, very good. At it's heaviest, the movie is oppressive with it's delivery of action and brutality. Otherwise, it is peppered with understatement and subtleties. This is the anti-hero of Hollywood level action films, cinematic tropes and predictable climaxes are abandoned for "holy poo poo THAT just happened and the movie is still moving on at breakneck speed while I am reeling off of it...".

Watch it, as soon as possible, then watch it again because it's not something you can take in at once.

Devin Townsend fans will understand when I say it's an exercise is tastefully layered simplicity and breathtaking complexity as well as a rich sprinkling of well inserted self referential surprises all the way through.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Goddamn Avengers has locked up every single IMAX screen in a 50 mile radius. Not even the fake IMAX screens have this. A dark day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I see one IMAX in NYC that has it, but it's in 3D too and I wanted to see it 2D :(

Oh well, have my ticket for after work. Pumped.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Too impatient to wait for Friday,

-How did the Bullet Farmer get his eyes messed up? Or is he just some blind dude that shoots guns?

-Why does it appear that the People Eater's rig is with Immortan joes gang? Are they allied?

-How many times is the word 'guzzoline' uttered?

-Are the other places besides the Citadel shown? Gasstown? Bullet Farm?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Panfilo posted:

Too impatient to wait for Friday,

-How did the Bullet Farmer get his eyes messed up? Or is he just some blind dude that shoots guns?

-Why does it appear that the People Eater's rig is with Immortan joes gang? Are they allied?

-How many times is the word 'guzzoline' uttered?

-Are the other places besides the Citadel shown? Gasstown? Bullet Farm?

Furiousa shoots the searchlight he's operating on the top of his car and it explodes in his face.

Yup. People Eater, Buller Farmer and Immortan Joe all team up.

Quite a few. I'd guess around half a dozen, maybe more.

A few others, very interesting locations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Verdict on 3D for this movie, worth the extra few bucks or no?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So I take it that this movie is...cool...and good?

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Arkane posted:

See in 2D if you can, since it's the director's preferred version, and the colors will be brighter.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Arkane posted:

It's a well made conversion with some really cool 3D-shots in it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This movie is loving insane, I want nothing but cars, murder and solidarity in my life from now.

So much love put into sets and costumes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

bullet3 posted:

See in 2D if you can, since it's the director's preferred

Has this actually been confirmed?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moths posted:

Has this actually been confirmed?

Did some searching on Twitter, and it looks like it was shown to a USC class in 2-D with the note that it was preferred by the director.

But this is from this morning at Cannes:

George Miller: "In this film, if I had a choice I'd see it in 3D. But I know some audiences can't tolerate it."

Wonder if that is the studio talking into his ear or that is his own opinion. Dunno. Hell, I might just see it in both 2d and 3d.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hugh Keays-Byrne wants you to shut your loving face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Xe-NWbItU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shoehead posted:

Hugh Keays-Byrne wants you to shut your loving face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Xe-NWbItU

I want to watch this, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna see this tonight anyway. And I'm stoked. I'm going to the Dinner showing, chili and 3 beers during the film. It's gonna be a lovely lovely day for sure.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Just got back from watching this. Was expecting a relatively bland post-apocalyptic action movie with the Mad Max name tacked on. Was disappointed. This film is as much a Mad Max film as any of the previous ones. And it is absolutely, entirely, completely insane. Mad Max 4 is Mad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

I want to watch this, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna see this tonight anyway. And I'm stoked. I'm going to the Dinner showing, chili and 3 beers during the film. It's gonna be a lovely lovely day for sure.

No you should watch it, it spoils nothing about the movie at all. Unless you're going to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yup, that was amazing. Was tempted to go straight back in, but it's a knackering experience so it'll have to wait.

Saw it in 3D and was pleasantly surprised, some worthwhile shots. Wouldn't pay extra though.

I wonder if we'll get a more bloody cut. It felt like things just cut away a moment too soon rather than being filmed with a PG13 (or whatever it is in the States) in mind. Here's hoping.

• Locked thread