Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Looks like they are doing another artscow bag sale if you want to bling out some games: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1352124/artscow-custom-drawstring-bags-and-other-stuff-10

I just got the ones I ordered and they came out really nice. Takes a few weeks for production and shipping, but had no issues and would recommend (provided you get the crazy 10 for $20 sale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

burger time posted:

I just got the ones I ordered and they came out really nice. Takes a few weeks for production and shipping, but had no issues and would recommend (provided you get the crazy 10 for $20 sale)

What games did you get dude!~!!!!1

I ordered Keyflower, Castles of Ron Burgundy, and a large bag to hold my RftG deckboxes in. Libertalia bag too and something else i'm not thinking of

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 14, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What games did you get dude!~!!!!1

I ordered Keyflower, Castles of Ron Burgundy, and a large bag to hold my RftG deckboxes in. Libertalia bag too and something else i'm not thinking of

Castles of Anchorman, a better/bigger bag for Ra (the one it came with barely holds all the tiles), a large bag for the Petz in Dungeon Petz, a generic dice bag with D&D 1e art, and some glasses cleaning cloths (I put persona characters on them cause I'm a weeaboo).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of Mage Knight, I bought it last Friday and brought it with me for something to do while taking care of a sick family member.

First thought: holy poo poo that's a lot of cards!
Second thought: holy poo poo this is going to need a ton of space!!
Third thought: holy poo poo there are two rulebooks!!!

So it's kind of overwhelming, at first. This is easily the most complex game I own.

But, once you start playing, it all comes together. The introductory adventure is pretty good at teaching you how to play! It covers all the basics and really eases you into things.

Mage Knight can be played with less space than you'd think. Once you get your head around it you'll be able to squeeze it down considerably - or at least we were.

It's by far the most brain-burney game I have though. Something about combat just brings out the optimizer in me.

I also made my own rules reference because frankly I'm just so much happier with what amounts to a flowchart and notes for all the 'don't forget this fiddly little rule' bits. Something about Mage Knight is just really bad for that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Think of it this way as well, the only time you DON"T move into the space to attack is when attacking orcs or dragons.

Rampaging Orcs or Rampaging Draconum :v:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh haha yeah I got the bag design with the 2nd edition monstrous compendium monsters on it just because it's awesome

burger time posted:

Castles of Anchorman, a better/bigger bag for Ra (the one it came with barely holds all the tiles), a large bag for the Petz in Dungeon Petz, a generic dice bag with D&D 1e art, and some glasses cleaning cloths (I put persona characters on them cause I'm a weeaboo).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Mage Knight can be played with less space than you'd think. Once you get your head around it you'll be able to squeeze it down considerably - or at least we were.

It's by far the most brain-burney game I have though. Something about combat just brings out

I also made my own rules reference because frankly I'm just so much happier with what amounts to a flowchart and notes for all the 'don't forget this fiddly little rule' bits. Something about Mage Knight is just really bad for that.

Also, pro tip if you are making your own references, make them brochures so they take less table space

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's by far the most brain-burney game I have though. Something about combat just brings out the optimizer in me.

Mind sharing yours?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I want a big dumb war game. Should I just nut up and buy TI3?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Mantis posted:

Calling TI a war game is kinda simplistic, but it is definitely big, and there definitely is combat.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

The Mantis posted:

I would say Risk Legacy of Forbidden Stars, if you have the patience to wait for later this summer.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Mantis posted:

It's big, but not really dumb or a war game. So probably not.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Fair.

I'm looking for something like A&A that's not as static. Likely the remnants of a troubled past with 40K.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Looks like they are doing another artscow bag sale if you want to bling out some games: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1352124/artscow-custom-drawstring-bags-and-other-stuff-10

Wish I could figure out what I wanted besides Keyflower bags. :saddowns:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bottom Liner posted:

Mind sharing yours?

I would be happy to, once it's completed. Right now it's handwritten on a notepad and it's only for one of the campaigns in Lost Legion. It's a work in progress as I sit down to play a turn or two here and there with free time.

If you don't mind that it's specifically for that and not a brilliantly-laid-out-encyclopedic reference like what you would get from http://www.orderofgamers.com/ (if they had one), then no problem!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The Mantis posted:

Fair.

I'm looking for something like A&A that's not as static. Likely the remnants of a troubled past with 40K.

What about War of the Ring?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Mantis posted:

Fair.

What about A&A attracts you?

I'm not big on "wargames" or even skirmish games but Kemet has opened me to the genre. It's a game that rewards aggressive action as the primary way to score permanent victory points is by winning battles as an attacker. The model count is low, it's a very "clean" looking game and the only luck factor involved is the distribution of minor ability cards. Practically everything is public knowledge, everyone has access to the same pool of resources so it's 99% smart play and tactics.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just get a real loving wargame and never look back.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Echophonic posted:

Wish I could figure out what I wanted besides Keyflower bags. :saddowns:

I need some of these. Not totally sure for what besides RollFTG...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Mantis posted:

Fair.

The 1st and 2nd edition of Twilight Imperium were basically A&A in space with different alien powers, a modular board, and a little extra diplomacy stuff. I'm not sure how hard they are to get a hold of (you would probably want the 2nd edition as the first was all cardboard chits and cheap rear end terrible cards). They both had almost the exact same 'flow' as A&A (Player A buys stuff, moves stuff, resolves combat, does some other stuff, places pruchased units, now it's Player Bs turn).

TI 3 is a completely different game and can be won without any actual fighting. It also has a drastically different 'flow' that more closely matches games like Puerto Rico (i.e each player selects a primary role and then in role order each player does their primary role action and all the other players can choose to do a minor secondary thing for a cost).

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

al-azad posted:

What about A&A attracts you?

The tactics and savagery of building armies, dancing them around, and smashing them into each other.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The 1st and 2nd edition of Twilight Imperium were basically A&A in space with different alien powers, a modular board, and a little extra diplomacy stuff. I'm not sure how hard they are to get a hold of (you would probably want the 2nd edition as the first was all cardboard chits and cheap rear end terrible cards). They both had almost the exact same 'flow' as A&A (Player A buys stuff, moves stuff, resolves combat, does some other stuff, places pruchased units, now it's Player Bs turn).

Sound a lot like what I'm looking for.

Lichtenstein posted:

Just get a real loving wargame and never look back.

Woah that is a legit OP. I probably should just do this...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There are also a ton of A&A spinoffs that I've never tried based on various theaters (Pacific, European, etc).

Oh and you also might want to take a look at Fortress America (which was one of the original 'big box' games released with A&A, but has recently been re-released by Fantasy Flight).

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

burger time posted:

How long did it take to receive yours? I ordered mine on May 1st and got an email saying they sent it this Monday, but there's no tracking number so I'm just waiting around. It's not like I need the bags to play or anything.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

How long did it take to receive yours? I ordered mine on May 1st and got an email saying they sent it this Monday, but there's no tracking number so I'm just waiting around. It's not like I need the bags to play or anything.

It ships from Hong Kong, so it does take a while. I ordered on the 27th, shipped on the 6th, and got it the 13th in Pennsylvania. That might be a little faster than average, their website says 8-12 days for delivery. I didn't have a tracking number either, though, so don't worry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Elysium is a game where you draft cards from a tableau and then as the game goes on, you give up the powers they have to actually score points with them, kind of like Abyss. It's mildly interactive and fairly easy to teach. Goes for about an hour with three people. There's some strategy/tactics in the game, however I would not consider it heavy. It has Dominion style take that (bad things happen to all the other players, nothing is targeted) but not ridiculously so. It's pretty easy to teach although it may take a bit for players to understand how the whole thing goes together. I thought it was a nice game. I got my copy from sheepgames.be.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
As it happens I just tried Elysium is our first visit to a local game cafe with a friend. They had what appeared to be every single game ever created, from OGRE to Operation, Jenga and every Vlaada game + expansion you could think of, it was a bit overwhelming and we didnt have a lot of time unfortunately. We gave it a shot as per the store owner's suggestion and I'm sorry we did. It's a mess of a game, there's way too many mobile parts to plan anything and there are too many game concepts cramed in there to be realistically compared to it's closest relative 7 Wonders. I quickly realized it was way too brainy to play competitively for such a "light" game.

I can enjoy some 7 wonders because it's quick and not cutthroat, I like Dominion because you have control over the moving parts, and I love Caylus because if you happen to put your mind to it, the game rewards you in a logical way. Elysium is random, light, cutthroat,complicated and the theme is completely tacked on. It's a mess. Oh and there's text on most cards and the symbols dont make sense on their own.

Play 7 Wonders instead.

ps: I typed this before Lorini's post, I dont mean it as an argument/answer at all, just my two bits

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I will note that I can't stand 7 Wonders so we probably have different tastes :).

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Lorini posted:

different tastes :).

You're ruining the image we're trying to cultivate here as an undifferentiated hivemind.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I would be happy to, once it's completed. Right now it's handwritten on a notepad and it's only for one of the campaigns in Lost Legion. It's a work in progress as I sit down to play a turn or two here and there with free time.

If you don't mind that it's specifically for that and not a brilliantly-laid-out-encyclopedic reference like what you would get from http://www.orderofgamers.com/ (if they had one), then no problem!

His rules guides are fantastic and Mage Knight would definitely benefit from one. But he hates the game. I asked him once if he was planning to do one for MK and he started foaming at the mouth. If you look at his games, they are pretty Ameritrash loaded. A pity.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Lorini posted:

I will note that I can't stand 7 Wonders so we probably have different tastes :).

Actually I sort of agree, it's not that great a game. It's just quick and simple enough to be harmlessly decent.

one of us, one of us

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Beffer posted:

His rules guides are fantastic and Mage Knight would definitely benefit from one. But he hates the game. I asked him once if he was planning to do one for MK and he started foaming at the mouth. If you look at his games, they are pretty Ameritrash loaded. A pity.

Fair enough, I can see that if you don't like a game (and aren't getting paid to do it) then making an actually useful rules reference just would not happen. There are too many games you do enjoy to spend a shitload of time and effort on one that you don't.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The Mantis posted:

Sound a lot like what I'm looking for.

Twilight Imperium is a fantastic game, flaws and all, but there's a few things to know: First, it really wants the first expansion for it. This is especially for the new strategy cards, but also for nice little bits like race-specific techs and what not. It's also long as balls. You don't spend an evening with TI, you start at noon, break for dinner, and finish up at eight. It also doesn't play well with some numbers. Nominally, it supports 3-6, or 3-8 if you've got both expansions.
-3 is kind of TI-lite, where all the gameplay's intact but it ends up being a cutthroat Mexican Standoff. This could be fine, depending on your wants, but it's there nonetheless.
-4 is pretty good, but it does have ramifications that all of the strategy cards will be picked each round, which changes the relative power level of some of the races (some want specific strategy cards to be taken, or benefit from the greater breathing room of 4P).
-5 is kind of awful. It's a hex based board, which doesn't divide into 5, of course. There's two options. You can use the default rules, which put three players near each other like it's the 6 player board and two with a little more distance like a 4 player board. The more cramped players start with some extra cash, while the other two have extra room to expand. This is not a fair trade. Alternatively, there's a semipreset map arrangement on FFG's website, which makes a sixth of the board into this sort of traversable null space that makes everyone equidistant. This is a far better plan. Better still to find a sixth person, or just play Kemet.
-6 is where it's at. Everything about TI is balanced around six players.
-7 is like 5 but everything takes longer, and there's no nice preset map to work with.
-8 I haven't played but I imagine it's like the bastard child of 6 and 4 player games, which means it's probably still quite playable.

So if you can get the sweet spot player numbers (4, 6, or 8) with a bunch of people who like long games of strategy and diplomacy, with a little fighting and a hell of a lot of saber rattling, get TI.

White Rabbit posted:

Actually I sort of agree, [7 Wonders is] not that great a game. It's just quick and simple enough to be harmlessly decent.

one of us, one of us

I'm curious as to what you find flaws with in 7W. I mean, I can see why it might have elements that aren't your thing, but what about it do you feel isn't that great?

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with 7W right now, since it's a really good game, but I'm a little burnt out on it due to having made an expansion for it for a game design class final. I do think it's an excellent game, though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm still waiting for the goddamn iOS app of 7 Wonders and then I will have no reason to play anything else on my mobile ever again.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
The local board game cafe got swag for a week-long Kniziathon in july:

~swooooooooooooooooon~

*not shown 5 games signed by the man hisself and a first place certificate covered in comic sans

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

PlaneGuy posted:

The local board game cafe got swag for a week-long Kniziathon in july:

I think the only Knizia game I've played is Modern Art. Are the others worth looking into? I know some of the others are well regarded, but I haven't heard them mentioned, do they feel old? Most of them look old / boring aesthetically and I could understand Once Great Games that are now just Pretty Decent Old Games.

edit: I liked Modern Art despite its lovely components

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I think the only Knizia game I've played is Modern Art. Are the others worth looking into? I know some of the others are well regarded, but I haven't heard them mentioned, do they feel old? Most of them look old / boring aesthetically and I could understand Once Great Games that are now just Pretty Decent Old Games.

The only one that I've really been impressed by is Tigris & Euphrates - it's a really unique thing (try out the app, it's cheap). His name is definitely not a quality guarantee; I've played a bunch of real Knizia clunkers (the absolute worst being Westeros Intrigue, which, to be fair, was a reskin of a children's game) and a few that were solid but, as you say, just kind of "pretty decent" (eg. Ra is an ancestor of a lot of modern games I think, but isn't real compelling to play now).

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
For Knizia, I like Ingenious. Simple, devious, abstract.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Through The Desert is supposed to be quite good, as are Battle Line and Lost Cities.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You can sample a large selection of his stuff on iOS.

E:

quote:

I'm curious as to what you find flaws with in 7W. I mean, I can see why it might have elements that aren't your thing, but what about it do you feel isn't that great?

I feel like it's kind of mundane. At high player counts it seems non-interactive and there is a fair degree of luck in whether you draw a high scoring guild or whatever. At lower player counts there are just more stimulating things, like for example worker placement which basically is action drafting but usually with more complex chains of action-to-vp conversion.

The action drafting is too close to "vp point drafting" sometimes, where it feels like evaluating my hand is calculating whether I can afford a thing and the potential vp and then sorting them. As opposed to drafting the strategic components of a complex system that then turns around and earns me vp down the road via 2nd or later order effects. Compare evaluating a card in Glory to Rome for example with a card in 7 Wonders. It feels "flat" in that respect I guess. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think it's flat, but it feels that way relative to other games. "Flatter" I suppose

The other thing that I personally find strange and perplexing is for feeling like a less complex game, it never seems to go over as well with new folks as its peers. That might just be some weird phenomenon with my current crew because I remember liking it more for this 3 years ago or so.

I used to like it a lot but it hasn't held up relative to other games that I've played many times. But I don't think it's a bad game and could see other people liking aspects I don't.

Edit:I lovvvvvved Magic drafting

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I think my group would like a semi coop game. We mostly play Imperial or Power Grid but I think an economic focused semi coop game would be fun. Is Archipelago our best bet?