Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
My stock picks are crazy good at beating the stock market ( in losses). Except for North Atlantic drilling and seadrill of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I bought a bunch of ACLS. The numbers are now going up. This is my story.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've had 160 shares of PZA since March 2014, presently valued at around $4000. They haven't really done much in the last year or so. I'm fairly low on the allocation I have for bonds - in fact, just PZA is all I have in bonds right now, around 5% of my brokerage portfolio.

Is it even worth being in a bond ETF right now or am I underexposed? Is PZA the right choice to be a bond option? I was looking at VGLT and BLV as bond ETF options.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
VUZI with the ultra-abrupt notification of their earnings release date again. I've been accumulating a bunch and it spiked up 6% on the announcement for some reason, so I guess that's fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know it's not generally a "thing" for folks in here to post every trade they make, or (especially) the dollar amounts.

But I wonder if we couldn't pool some data just to track what the stock trading megathread goons are investing in, on an informal not-penis-length-comparing way?

Like: what if we had a spreadsheet on Google Docs where folks could put in their current long and short positions, just to see what the hivemind is up to? It could be anonymous, we could use percentage-of-portfolio rather than absolute values to track how much of a position folks are taking, and we could extract some interesting data from it.

Along those lines: is there some kind of app or site that does this, where it'd show up to date pricing on stocks, options, etc.?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I think OpenFolio is doing something like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Noah posted:

Hmm. Seems like it might work. I just threw together an account (based on email, I don't like just randomly using linkedin or facebook data to random other websites). Looks like you can explicitly invite people to be part of your "My Benchmark" by inviting them via email?

Oh and it wants login info for my brokerage account, that seems a bit iffy. Probably convenient, from the point of view of data entry, but I'm not sure I trust these guys with my login credentials.

e. Oh I see. I was trying to see how you create a Group, but those don't seem to be something open to everyone to make. Instead, you invite specific people, and if they agree to share with you (or if their portfolio is set to public), it gets added to your "my benchmark" tab thingy.

So... if goons wanted to share with each other, we'd each have to add all other goons who were sharing. That's a bit poo poo.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 12, 2015

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Zerstorung posted:

VUZI with the ultra-abrupt notification of their earnings release date again. I've been accumulating a bunch and it spiked up 6% on the announcement for some reason, so I guess that's fine.

Think investors were expecting Vuzix to report on Friday afternoon, which could indicate bad news, so a release on Tuesday might mean the company has better news to report. Seems like
the most likely explanation for the spike, will see what happens tomorrow. Haven't added any more shares, but haven't sold shares either. Also bought TACO today after a good
earnings report.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

rocinante posted:

Think investors were expecting Vuzix to report on Friday afternoon, which could indicate bad news, so a release on Tuesday might mean the company has better news to report.
You mean it being pushed up ahead of expectations or is the day of the week it's reported affecting the perception actually a thing?

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Zerstorung posted:

You mean it being pushed up ahead of expectations or is the day of the week it's reported affecting the perception actually a thing?

Dumping bad news on Friday is a thing, here's a Quartz article about it: http://qz.com/300486/the-best-times-to-release-bad-earnings/

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Whats all this green poo poo in my portfolio guys? I usually have red poo poo in my portfolio but now it is green, is that normal? :ohdear:

Edit: Question, when grading the performance of a fund such as this:

quote:

Eaton Vance Tax-Managed Buy-Write Opportunities
Fund (NYSE: ETV)
-----------------------------------------------
Distribution
Period: April- 2015
Distribution
Amount per
Common Share: $0.1108
Distribution
Frequency: Monthly
Fiscal Year
End: December

% of the
Cumulative
Cumulative Distributions
Distributions for the
Current % of Current for the Fiscal Fiscal
Source Distribution Distribution Year-to-Date Year-to-Date
Net Investment
Income $0.0088 7.90% $0.0324 7.30%
Net Realized
Short-Term
Capital Gains $0.0000 0.00% $0.0000 0.00%
Net Realized
Long-Term
Capital Gains $0.0822 74.20% $0.2229 50.30%
Return of
Capital or
Other Capital
Source(s) $0.0198 17.90% $0.1879 42.40%
Total per
common share $0.1108 100.00% $0.4432 100.00%

Average annual total return at NAV for the
5-year period ended on March 31, 2015 (1) 11.60%
Annualized current distribution rate expressed
as a percentage of NAV as of March 31, 2015
(2) 8.94%
Cumulative total return at NAV for the fiscal
year through March 31, 2015 (3) 2.48%
Cumulative fiscal year to date distribution
rate as a percentage of NAV as of March 31,
2015 (4) 2.24%

Is that portion of the income that is coming from return of capital good, bad, or neither? the fund is selling options, so I am not entirely sure how that type of income would be classified.

Edit: changed my example.

Triple Edit: Reading literature on the subject makes it appear that the return of capital part is slowly lowering your cost-basis of the stock, meaning the income is not immediately taxable, but you will pay more taxes when you sell the stock in the future as your cost basis has decreased. I was thinking it was something like having your principle returned, or that it was eating its own seed corn to pay the distribution.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 13, 2015

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I bought a bunch of VSLR yesterday... Cool.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Npr mentioned a drop in the break even price for oil from ~$79 to ~$62. I guess that means someone was getting taken to the cleaners pretty bad.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

District Selectman posted:

No !!!!

At least not yet. I sold 75% of my original position in March. Bought more when it dipped before earnings; sold those all today.

Maybe in the near future?!

Until then I'm feeling pretty good about my 100% return YTD!

Sold my last chunk!

I still have a few options rattling around, so I may not be out quite yet. Now I've also got $50k of dry powder that I'm not sure what to do with quite yet.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

AWWNAW posted:

I bought a bunch of VSLR yesterday... Cool.

Avatar / Post Content achievement unlocked.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
EZCH dropped 25% based on magic or something. I'm wondering if that has any upside. The company is profitable save an early bond payment. I don't know about network equipment chips to understand how good/bad they are. They probably don't sell all that many chips. If their research and development team can't iterate more they may be in trouble down the road.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Noah posted:

So, this happened:

quote:

David Ma support@openfolio.com via enchanthq.net

6:48 PM (1 hour ago)

to me, dave

Leperflesh,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Friend groups are something we are working on. Another user just asked the same question today.

For now, if you let me know which friend or friends are part of your group by their pseudonym on Openfolio or a link to their profile page, I can try to create a custom group for everyone in it.

David

Leperflesh posted:

Hello David.

How do I create a Group? I see there are categories of groups, but I don't see any way to make them.

I'm on a message forum and we're looking for a tool where each of us, on a voluntary basis, can share our trades and track them collectively. I like that your service only shows percentages of portfolios, but it's going to be inconvenient if each of us has to add all the others via their email addresses or something. We're not friends on facebook or linkedin, just this forum, and most of us are using pseudonyms (forums usernames) so probably most won't want to be using their real identities. It seems like a group could work for us?

Openfolio posted:

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM, David Ma <dave@openfoliomail.com> wrote:

Hi Leperflesh,

Welcome to Openfolio!

My name is David, and I'm here to answer questions and ensure you get the most out of Openfolio. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Cheers,
David

So if any of you guys are interested, this is apparently a thing we can do.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

So, this happened:

So if any of you guys are interested, this is apparently a thing we can do.

Yes? Except I'd be embarrassed by my portfolio. I just put everything into 4 stocks and an ETF. 4!

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Better than me; I turned 5 positions into 3 because AMAVF looked extra-tasty at $15.50 :gambling:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just bought baby's first stocks today and I feel good about it :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes? Except I'd be embarrassed by my portfolio. I just put everything into 4 stocks and an ETF. 4!

My portfolio consists of my 401(k), which is entirely in Vanguard passive index funds, my house, and 20 shares of AMD with a cost basis of $35.80. No, that's not a typo.

So, like, I'm not going to be giving anyone else a lot to look at. But I think it'd be interesting to see the full gamut of what people in the stock trading thread are doing in their portfolios.

Obviously if there's only like five of us interested, I'll drop it. And using this tool does require giving Openfolio your login credentials for your brokerage(s), which despite their assurances of high security still makes me a little apprehensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of goons are disinclined to participate just based on that.

So let's do this. If you're interested: make your profile on Openfolio, post your user ID, and in a couple of days I'll send along the user IDs to this dude and if he can make us a group, cool. If there's not much interest, I'll drop it.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
I would do it but it looks like they are US stocks only and I only have a couple of those...

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I would do it but they don't support Tradeking. Neither does PersonalCapital. loving Tradeking, get your poo poo together

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zerstorung posted:

Better than me; I turned 5 positions into 3 because AMAVF looked extra-tasty at $15.50 :gambling:

I wanted to increase my position so bad, but IB sucks dick at transferring funds and after the 5 days I had to wait Arcam went up almost 10%. I am in the minority here, but I really hate IB. Although I only use them to trade Arcam, because Tradeking doesn't offer AMAVF or ARCM.ST, so really gently caress Tradeking too. Swedish stock problems over here.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
My NADL and SDRL positions are both up 10+% each. Although it is nice that my intuition was right, the problem is I own 30 shares of SDRL and 100 shares of NADL :cripes: I can sit and day dream that I had bought $1000 of each instead of breadcrumbs.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Leperflesh posted:

So let's do this. If you're interested: make your profile on Openfolio, post your user ID, and in a couple of days I'll send along the user IDs to this dude and if he can make us a group, cool. If there's not much interest, I'll drop it.
I'd be interested but Tradeking.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Torpor posted:

My NADL and SDRL positions are both up 10+% each. Although it is nice that my intuition was right, the problem is I own 30 shares of SDRL and 100 shares of NADL :cripes: I can sit and day dream that I had bought $1000 of each instead of breadcrumbs.

Sweet, the dealer busts! Man if only I had bet $1500 instead of $15...

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Open folio is also sobering. 1yr performance? 0.9%!! :smith: s&p500? 15%. other retarded kids my age? 8%

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

neonbregna posted:

I will curse you and your entire family if I lose muh recent solar gains in braincool

So Braincool did a thing again. They ordered a small scale run of the cooling system and got rewarded a fully funded 4 year PhD at Edinburgh. There is speculation on the net that one or two big private owners that bought cheap in a previous funding run have been pulling out aggressively the last 6 months or so, severely depressing the valuation.

Clever and stupid people argue that the stock should be valued at anywhere from 10 sek to (lol) 100 sek.

Let's lose some money!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ACLS presenting to some investors in a few weeks..hope they get bought out for big billions! trillions! im gonna get rich!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Yay, a new fraud case. VIPS this time. Chinese ecommerce stock listed in the US, it's had consistent high growth and has run from 50c to $30 in the space of 3 years. Some no-name short shop (Mithra Forensic Research) wrote up a research note that was published on seeking alpha: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3172676-vipshop-we-are-not-buying-the-financial-statements
VIPS responded, without much clarity: http://seekingalpha.com/pr/13496756-vipshop-responds-to-recent-allegations
They beat estimates yesterday, with lower guidance going forwards and they're down 4%ish today. Other shorters were on CNBC today commenting.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Speaking as a veteran of Longtop--but also Harbin Electric--sometimes it's just better to make your money without having to deal with fraud, regardless of whether you want to short it...

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sweet, the dealer busts! Man if only I had bet $1500 instead of $15...

For the record, in light of your comment, I bet $1500 on the next round. Which must have been a secret signal to begin a sell off in those two holdings. Im thinking a return to $15 should be do-able, but we will see. It can't do any worse than my run with Centurylink. :downs:

Edit: provided they don't go bankrupt first.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 14, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was trying get a short matched in EBIX today; think this short squeeze could present a good opportunity for a short or puts. Fundamentals of the company are little changed in the past 6 months, but the stock has dramatically increased in value and now has an EV/EBITDA of 15 which is above the market average. The downside opportunity is that the company has low/no growth & is under investigation, neither of which appear to be priced into the stock. Additionally the company is spending cash buying their stock back at elevated prices, destroying shareholder value. The company has a negative book value when you back out the intangibles, and in the >0% but <5% scenario that there are serious problems with this company, it could go kaput. The London deal appears to be largely vaporware that has little short term revenue streams, despite their touting of it. We'll see if I am ever able to get in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUECpFi9_s

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I'm super good at this stock marketing thing! Why, my seadrill position is up -.20/sh!

I should probably use limit orders

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
BOJANGLESSSS

edit: I meant to post words and not just Bojangles. I hate IPOs but I like Bojangles so I'm not sure what to make of these feelings. I think the IPO was priced right at ~$19 (roughly comparable adjusted for oustanding shares as Popeyes). HOWEVER, I think Bojangles has far more upside since they haven't expanded outside of their southeast/mid-atlantic corridor and have 1/3 the stores vs. Popeyes already being everywhere and pushing similar earning comps. So the valuation at around $30 seems reasonable to me as well, I could see it hovering around here for awhile.

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 15, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What do you think about Raising Cane's? Also a southeast chicken place. They're expanding like wildfire. Haven't gone public yet but given the demand for these boutique, fast casual restaurants, seems like it might be only a year or two away.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like their chicken strips and they tear it up in the fall (football season is their Christmas).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, when should I be worrying that AMBA will stop going up? This is probably the coolest thing, I've gotten around 74% return on it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Seadrill has been going loving incredible guys!