Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wateroverfire posted:

Additionally: Virginia, both Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia, Kentucky, rural parts of virtually every state including the rich ones, etc.
Actually I did some math and a couple making $15/hour each (40 hours a week--I know, full-time work is pretty :laffo: nowadays but stick with my fantasy for a moment) in Nebraska would be living comfortably even with price increases, which strikes me as a good reason to raise the minimum wage in Nebraska to $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

(40 hours a week--I know, full-time work is pretty :laffo: nowadays

Since when?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Since the laws were changed so you must provide healthcare to "full time" employees. Managers micro-manage to the minute now to make sure you don't hit your 32 hour threshold that would make you 'full time' or whatever the limit is. For some reason office-supply stores are the worst about this, staffed around the clock almost completely by 'part-timers' working 29:59 a week.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Everblight posted:

Since the laws were changed so you must provide healthcare to "full time" employees. Managers micro-manage to the minute now to make sure you don't hit your 32 hour threshold that would make you 'full time' or whatever the limit is. For some reason office-supply stores are the worst about this, staffed around the clock almost completely by 'part-timers' working 29:59 a week.

BLS data indicates average worker hours have been unchanged for at least a decade, even when you narrow it down to "retail trade"

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Effectronica posted:

One thing that is generally ignored is the negative economic (and social, but let's avoid asdf or wateroverfire talking about that) effects from the working poor having to make up the difference between the living wage and their actual wage. This is, in all probability, because the position against increase is one that is purely conservative, without any actual underpinnings beyond change being bad.

That's a good argument against poverty in general. But some people still confuse that discussion with the discussion about minimum wage. They're not the same thing.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Everblight posted:

This.

If this post sounds crazy to you then you, fellow reader, have been blessed to not work in retail and food service and other fun chained-to-minimum wage jobs in the last handful of years.

Series DD Funding posted:

BLS data indicates average worker hours have been unchanged for at least a decade, even when you narrow it down to "retail trade"

Then the BLS is skipping my section of the country. The newest excuse is that we only have 100 hours a week to schedule out between 12 employees. We are open 140 hours a week. Some people come in for an hour, maximum. Some get a 14 hour day broken up between two stores.

It's hosed, and I live in it.

Armani fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 14, 2015

asdf32
May 15, 2010

down with slavery posted:

I actually didn't make it up, the lowest wages in most first world countries are much higher than in the US.

It is because it only takes half a brain to deduce that the entire point of regulation is to place reasonable restrictions on business practices. Paying less than a living wage is just slavery by another name, it's sad that our society allows it.

Well your notion of a living wage is below the GDP PPP per capita for most countries. So there's that problem.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

It actually has been considered and addressed

Download the full data file from BLS and look at the hourly median, 25th percentile, and 10th percentile numbers for the broad categories (could't get a nice table to format for this post). The distribution shows people working for less than $15 per hour in virtually all categories, distributed throughout the economy. $15 / hour is actually a lot of money. You have absolutely no way to know, or good reason to believe, that increased purchasing power is going to cancel out the hit from broad cost rises compounding through the economy. Keep in mind that not only will costs at every step in the supply chain (at least, every American step) increase and compound, but the cost of all the support services used by workers in those steps (the customer service, food service, and etc employees) also feed back in at every step and are recompounded. It's an inflationary cycle.

edit: Referring specifically to OCC_GROUP for broad categories.

edit2: Looking at the numbers, Jarmak is correct and $12 looks high for a federal minimum. Even $10 is going to affect a huge number of people.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 14, 2015

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Actually I did some math and a couple making $15/hour each (40 hours a week--I know, full-time work is pretty :laffo: nowadays but stick with my fantasy for a moment) in Nebraska would be living comfortably even with price increases, which strikes me as a good reason to raise the minimum wage in Nebraska to $15.

How did you do that math? That is a hard calculation to even approximate.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

asdf32 posted:

Well your notion of a living wage is below the GDP PPP per capita for most countries. So there's that problem.

Not for this one. I'm saying we can do better than "most countries" (in the developed world), which are already ahead of us. The US has way more available wealth.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Download the full data file from BLS and look at the hourly median, 25th percentile, and 10th percentile numbers for the broad categories (could't get a nice table to format for this post). The distribution shows people working for less than $15 per hour in virtually all categories, distributed throughout the economy. $15 / hour is actually a lot of money. You have absolutely no way to know, or good reason to believe, that increased purchasing power is going to cancel out the hit from broad cost rises compounding through the economy. Keep in mind that not only will costs at every step in the supply chain (at least, every American step) increase and compound, but the cost of all the support services used by workers in those steps (the customer service, food service, and etc employees) also feed back in at every step and are recompounded. It's an inflationary cycle.

edit: Referring specifically to OCC_GROUP for broad categories.

Right, and looking at broad categories sorted by median hourly wage you will see that the list of low wages is dominated by end of chain service industry or retail with notable exceptions for textile and agriculture. Once again, the steps of the supply chain are dominated by fixed costs, so even if we talk about the bottom 10 percentile of certain midchain categories, change in labor costs do not compound in the same way that end of chain labor costs do. Just eyeballing it, but it looks like >60% of all workers in these categories under ~$14/hour median are strictly end customer or service industry employees, and ~20% fall under fixed cost business facing service industry. These simply do not contribute to the "compounding" effects you are describing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Pretty much this.

:gizz:

That's what we're arguing for. We want to see a phased-in minimum wage that eventually goes to $15/hr

wateroverfire posted:

What if when you compound cost increases through the whole economy the price increase is a lot more than $0.70, a lot of people end up out of work, and the people who weren't working are more screwed than they were before?

A thing you're not considering but probably should be.

what if the whole world explodes because the minimum wage was increased?! Bet you LIEberals didn't think about that

(weren't you the one who said that your arguments weren't just "a shot in the dark"? That's exactly what you're doing here!)

wateroverfire posted:

Life at the bottom of the wage scale is a lot better than it was in 1968 so IDK what you have in mind but you might want to reassess.

Also, states have taken a variety of approaches.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/stateMinWageHis.htm

Unable to afford a meal today, huh? I don't know what the big deal is, you could be getting tortured in Medieval Europe which is a way worse situation

(for real, is "life at starvation wages is better now than it was 50 years ago" actually your argument to keep people at starvation wages? How does this make sense in your head?)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My cousin was very proud he became manager, he was working 45 hours a week as a regular employee of a retail store, now he works 60+ hours a week, but is salaried, so no over-time :cheers:

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Nonsense posted:

My cousin was very proud he became manager, he was working 45 hours a week as a regular employee of a retail store, now he works 60+ hours a week, but is salaried, so no over-time :cheers:

How's his pay looking?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shayu posted:

How's his pay looking?

He gets to go to the big corporate manager-get-togethers, and they pay for everything, plus he still gets bonuses, he just didn't like losing overtime I guess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guys what if raising the minimum wage prevents Goku from being able to create the spirit bomb?! We can't take this risk

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Nonsense posted:

He gets to go to the big corporate manager-get-togethers, and they pay for everything, plus he still gets bonuses, he just didn't like losing overtime I guess.

Sounds like he's got a good chance to suck up and maybe get himself promoted even higher, networking and all that. Good luck to him.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

wateroverfire posted:

How did you do that math? That is a hard calculation to even approximate.

I know in my mostly rural county in Oklahoma $15 per hour wouldn't be a lot of money. Here's some numbers for Nebraska. You can break it down by county/city but they look about right to me. I guess if everyone remains single and has no children everything will work itself out in the end.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ozmunkeh posted:

I know in my mostly rural county in Oklahoma $15 per hour wouldn't be a lot of money. Here's some numbers for Nebraska. You can break it down by county/city but they look about right to me. I guess if everyone remains single and has no children everything will work itself out in the end.
Yeah, I also assumed that the couple wouldn't have kids. Since I don't have kids I can't really guess how that would impact my wages. It's not a lot of money, but it's a lot closer to a decent living than it is now (the website is slightly out of date, the minimum wage is now $8!).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Reminder: the question isn't whether $15 is fair or not. The question is whether a policy mandating $15 will result in a good outcome or not.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Reminder: the question isn't whether $15 is fair or not. The question is whether a policy mandating $15 will result in a good outcome or not.

This whole thread we've been talking about the good that will come from increasing wages, yet your argument (and those who agree with you) basically amounts to "but how much will it help? and even if it does help, there could be hidden negatives that we don't know about!"

If the real question was whether or not 15/h minimum wage would be good or not why hasn't there been any proof that it won't be? At the very least shouldn't you be able to argue that keeping it the same or reducing it would be more beneficial? Instead you've been argued into accepting that "maybe $12/h is ok".

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElCondemn posted:

This whole thread we've been talking about the good that will come from increasing wages, yet your argument (and those who agree with you) basically amounts to "but how much will it help? and even if it does help, there could be hidden negatives that we don't know about!"

If the real question was whether or not 15/h minimum wage would be good or not why hasn't there been any proof that it won't be? At the very least shouldn't you be able to argue that keeping it the same or reducing it would be more beneficial? Instead you've been argued into accepting that "maybe $12/h is ok".

There's been plenty of proof, with many studies showing employment effects and price rises, there's been the demographics of minimum wage workers etc. Mostly it gets handwaved away in this thread in favor of those studies that find no employment effects (usually they find price effects, which are then ignored as well).

Then there's the fact that raising the minimum wage to $15 would be the biggest increase ever, so you start to wonder whether previous studies which have looked at minimum wage increases that affected about 10% of workers are still robust when 45% of workers are affected.

Which you'll probably choose to ignore because in your mind changing the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 is the same as $7.25 to $15, and then someone will ask "why not $100?" and you'll come up with some weak excuse about how $100 is unreasonable blahblahblah but $15 is totally going to work, because you can phase it over 5 years and it won't be the same thing or something.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

There's been plenty of proof, with many studies showing employment effects and price rises, there's been the demographics of minimum wage workers etc. Mostly it gets handwaved away in this thread in favor of those studies that find no employment effects (usually they find price effects, which are then ignored as well).

The study you keep referencing indicates a 2% increase in prices, which doesn't seem much higher than normal inflation (some years it's much lower even). The other arguments were about how they don't really help the poor (the whole stupid tangent about who is going to see the income boost) and that raising the minimum wage is at best going to be a wash, which is just plain stupid... so maybe that's why you feel like it's been ignored?

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Then there's the fact that raising the minimum wage to $15 would be the biggest increase ever, so you start to wonder whether previous studies which have looked at minimum wage increases that affected about 10% of workers are still robust when 45% of workers are affected.

What about the "demographics of minimum wage workers" argument? I thought most people weren't going to be affected by the change? Makes me think you're just latching onto any reason you can, even if they contradict. Either way, I'll agree it's a huge change, but that's no reason not to do it. I guess we'll see in 5 years when $15/h min wage is almost ubiquitous in Seattle.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

and then someone will ask "why not $100?" and you'll come up with some weak excuse about how $100 is unreasonable blahblahblah but $15 is totally going to work, because you can phase it over 5 years and it won't be the same thing or something.

I was giving this some thought before I posted actually. I think if people want $100/h and they're able to pass it, more power to them. I'm certain I'll be affected by that change drastically, but I really don't see why it would make things worse in this country. The ramifications are obviously going to be global, and I'm no expert, but I'd guess the world economy would be in flux for a while and it would even out and our dollars would probably be worthless anywhere else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

There's been plenty of proof, with many studies showing employment effects and price rises

There was a single study suggesting that the price increases wouldn't be any worse than 3%,and the minwage opponents jumped on this as irrefutable proof that a minwage increase would be disastrous

Because their cheetos would be 1.03/bag instead of 1

There hasn't been any proof of any unemployment increase, just a bunch of speculation based on nothing

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
For those who say "We have no idea what the effects of an increased minimum wage could be on employment!" Imma just leave this here

quote:

Myth: Increasing the minimum wage will cause people to lose their jobs.
Not true: A review of 64 studies on minimum wage increases found no discernable effect on employment. Additionally, more than 600 economists, seven of them Nobel Prize winners in economics, have signed onto a letter in support of raising the minimum wage to $10.10 by 2016.

According to the data, at the very least a $10+ minimum wage would have no employment impact. Additionally, other studies have concluded that raising the minwage to $12/hr would easily be covered by 1.1% increase in prices at big box retailers such as Walmart. So please, to those screaming about "lack of evidence" please at least cite one goddamned thing that supports your point instead of essentially posting

QuarkJets posted:

Guys what if raising the minimum wage prevents Goku from being able to create the spirit bomb?! We can't take this risk

over and over again.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

According to the data, at the very least a $10+ minimum wage would have no employment impact.

I've never heard of economists who claim $10.10 = $15.

quote:

Additionally, other studies have concluded that raising the minwage to $12/hr would easily be covered by 1.1% increase in prices at big box retailers such as Walmart.

Because Walmart's average wages are already $11, yes.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I've never heard of economists who claim $10.10 = $15.

The point is that a minimum wage increase, even by nearly $3, has no discernible impact on employment. Thinking that pushing it another 2 or more dollars will spell certain doom for our economy is some completely baseless poo poo, up there with QJ's Goku example.

quote:

Because Walmart's average wages are already $11, yes.

According to whom? The average for their "sales associates" is below $9.

And you still haven't cited a single thing, you humongous retard.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

According to whom?

Have you tried: reading the study you cited.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Are you talking about the Walmart figure they cite? That's cool, but nearly half of employees are earning below at least $10.50/hr, going off their tables. Hell, >20% are earning below $9. That's a hell of a lot of people, so I really don't understand the point you're trying to make when Walmart is still going to have to raise the wages of at least 300k people by more than $3/hr. And this is literally how every business is going to be stratified wage-wise. Not everyone is going to be clustered close to the minimum wage. The point is to help out the large % on one end of the wage spectrum.

Instead of nitpicking bullshit could you please try citing something yourself. Like, pretty please.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Maybe you could quote the relevant section, what I'm reading seems to contradict the point you're making.

quote:

As we showed in the previous section, the cost for Walmart of a $12 per hour wage increase would
amount to $3.21 billion a year in payroll costs, or 11.1 percent of Walmart's current hourly payroll. If
we distribute this among all consumers, we find that it amounts to 46 cents per shopping trip for the
average consumer, based on the annual sales and customer figures provided by Walmart for 2010

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe you could quote the relevant section, what I'm reading seems to contradict the point you're making.

It's not a contradiction. 12 / 1.111 = 10.80

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

oh, I understand, you don't know how to read... you should really work on your comprehension

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

You do understand why using the average wage is a bad idea, instead of just reading the tables and being able to understand how many workers are currently far below that average?

This is also literally in the paper, where they point out the large variability in the wages. This variability means that although on average it's a smaller increase, it's a very significant increase for a large fraction of current workers. The entire rationale behind minwage arguments is based upon this assumption. So I have no idea what point you're attempting to make.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Why is this relevant to...anything?

Should Americans be paid the prevailing wages in Vietnam?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VitalSigns posted:

Why is this relevant to...anything?

Should Americans be paid the prevailing wages in Vietnam?

Gotta keep down with the Joneses. Must recreate 3rd world conditions in America to make sure poors can compete.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Trying to take it out of companies is dumb, though. A company is a conduit that converts inputs into outputs. If you raise the cost of doing that you just pay more for the outputs. The owners still make their money and poor people keep being poor, but the price level goes up. Tax rich people, sure, but not companies.

Nope, can't, reactionaries have a grip on congress and are trying to gently caress up America as a bargaining chip for cutting taxes on the rich and slashing welfare and health care.

Maybe your enemy isn't liberals, but conservatives who will fight superior policies to the death, leaving minimum wage as the only politically possible method of redistribution.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

edit2: Looking at the numbers, Jarmak is correct and $12 looks high for a federal minimum. Even $10 is going to affect a huge number of people.

I don't see much point in an increase that doesn't affect a huge number of people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Which you'll probably choose to ignore because in your mind changing the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 is the same as $7.25 to $15, and then someone will ask "why not $100?" and you'll come up with some weak excuse about how $100 is unreasonable blahblahblah but $15 is totally going to work, because you can phase it over 5 years and it won't be the same thing or something.

So when Seattle's $15 minimum wage doesn't cause any of the problems conservatives say it will, you're going to support raising it to $100 right, since whatever is true for $15 is true for $100, according to you?

Orders of magnitude, what are they

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nah, the excuse will be that Seattle is different than <insert place here> and it might cause Chtulhu to consume Oklahoma or Wyoming or Nebraska or Georgia. And that's a risk we just can't take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

So when Seattle's $15 minimum wage doesn't cause any of the problems conservatives say it will, you're going to support raising it to $100 right, since whatever is true for $15 is true for $100, according to you?

Orders of magnitude, what are they

Don't you see, you're backpedaling just like he said you would. $100/h is equivalent to $15/h, that's what you're saying and there's no way you could think otherwise, it's all or nothing!

• Locked thread