Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

As Zom Aur pointed out the reason why stock is better is because you don't have to worry about ANY of this poo poo. You don't have to wonder if parts of your phone are going to work. [...] You don't have to worry about updates and whether they're break things or require a wipe and restore or anything. You can just live your life and completely not think about the operating system on your phone.

Counterpoint: Lollipop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I guess I should ask for a more current response relating the current versions of CM to current stock ROMs. There aren't any of these small nuances in the current version of CM, e.g. I don't have to worry about it.

A better question to ask for someone with a G2 or similar phone, what separates Cloudy, CM, and stock currently?

With Lollipop on the G2 making it very similar to the G3's interface, I'd say just go with stock finally. It finally has a recent apps instead of menu button, the notification shade with toggles isn't quite so hideous anymore, and the camera and battery life are still really good. The reason to hassle with custom ROMs on it originally was because the software was so incredibly hideous, but they trimmed out almost all of the super gross stuff.

If you're already rooted and have a custom ROM that isn't crashing all the time or having problems and you don't have to flash new stuff all the time, I don't know if there's a good reason to go back to stock. But if you're having issues or don't want to hassle with it anymore, stock works and isn't so awful anymore.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

noirstronaut posted:

I guess I should ask for a more current response relating the current versions of CM to current stock ROMs. There aren't any of these small nuances in the current version of CM, e.g. I don't have to worry about it.

A better question to ask for someone with a G2 or similar phone, what separates Cloudy, CM, and stock currently?
I have a G3 and have been running stock rooted 4.4.x since I bought the phone. Once you install xposed and G3 TweaksBox you can fix anything you don't like about the stock OS (you can debloat yourself or find a stock rom that's debloated for you) and it's a really great device. Hopefully these tools exist for your G2. Anyway I'd probably stick to a rooted stock rom or similar instead of an AOSP rom that's shoehorned onto the device.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a rooted Note 3 on 4.4.2. When I check for an OTA update it tells me I can't do it as my system is modified. Is it possible to reverse my device to a state where this is possible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Magog posted:

Counterpoint: Lollipop.

Lollipop has been flawless on the five devices I have with it since it launched.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anjow posted:

I have a rooted Note 3 on 4.4.2. When I check for an OTA update it tells me I can't do it as my system is modified. Is it possible to reverse my device to a state where this is possible?

There are tools out there to reset the flash counter if you look around. I believe it's called "TriangleAway". It's not guaranteed to work and might brick your phone though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There are tools out there to reset the flash counter if you look around. I believe it's called "TriangleAway". It's not guaranteed to work and might brick your phone though.

That doesn't change the fact that /system isn't what the patcher will expect it to be. It might even try to patch, but depending on how it's written it could end up an unusable mess, even by pre-Note-4 Samsung standards. Or just break straight-up.

Anjow: You need to find a factory image of the /system partition at your firmware version. You can't use a lower version because some of Knox's stuff can't be disabled, and you can't use a higher version because patches change stuff that's lower-level than /system too.

If you can't, you're pretty much stuck with whatever repacks or custom ROMs XDA has on offer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RVProfootballer posted:

With Lollipop on the G2 making it very similar to the G3's interface, I'd say just go with stock finally.

Wait you're saying the software the G2 shipped with was even worse than what's on the G3?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dissss posted:

Wait you're saying the software the G2 shipped with was even worse than what's on the G3?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/19/lg-g2-review-a-pretty-good-phone-held-back-by-some-pretty-not-good-software/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/lgs-g2-smartphone-gets-caught-living-in-the-shadows-of-giants/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I don't doubt it was bad, but as far as I can tell my G3 shares almost all of those issues too (the only exceptions being the correct soft key layout is now available, and double tap to wake is reliable)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

I don't doubt it was bad, but as far as I can tell my G3 shares almost all of those issues too (the only exceptions being the correct soft key layout is now available, and double tap to wake is reliable)

The Verizon branded G2 is my favorite. On other models, you could pick whether you want the navigation buttons to be black on gray or white on black or other slightly different schemes. On the Verizon? They replaced white on black (you know, like stock Android), with white on textured pink! And yeah, menu button hosed stuff up, the font was weighted differently so information density was different, etc etc. The second page of the Ars review hits the highlights. The stock LG G2 on 4.2.2 was the worst Android had been in like 2-3 years. Those non-AOSP based custom ROMs (Cloudy, for one) noirstronaut was asking about all basically just updated the G2 interface to match the G3, and that alone was worth loving with root and ROM.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That doesn't change the fact that /system isn't what the patcher will expect it to be. It might even try to patch, but depending on how it's written it could end up an unusable mess, even by pre-Note-4 Samsung standards. Or just break straight-up.

Anjow: You need to find a factory image of the /system partition at your firmware version. You can't use a lower version because some of Knox's stuff can't be disabled, and you can't use a higher version because patches change stuff that's lower-level than /system too.

If you can't, you're pretty much stuck with whatever repacks or custom ROMs XDA has on offer.

I assumed he'd already flashed to a factory image. Even after you do that, you still have the triangle. You need to use something else to clear the triangle in addition to reverting to a factory image.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm using CM at the moment because it's just easier than getting xposed to work. Or at least it was, the issues when xposed moved to lollipop have been sorted out now but so far CM hasn't caused me any issues so I've got no reason to switch back.

I probably would still recommend people go the stock + xposed route though.

VVV My housemate has it working but it took him the better half of a day fiddling, google messed around with a few things it relies on. I woulnd't bother right now though as gravitybox still hasn't been porteded over so it's a lot of effort for little payback.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 15, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Out of interest, is anyone running the unofficial Xposed build on 5.1?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tunga posted:

Out of interest, is anyone running the unofficial Xposed build on 5.1?
Just started using it today on my N6, seems to be fine so far and the latest alpha released yesterday fixes most of the module incompatibilities (except for GravityBox, the dev is still working on updating it).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used the Xposed NFC Screenoffwhatever module with the OPO (or any other phone)? I got it to read the tags while the screen is locked, but not when it's off. Which isn't totally surprising given all the possible hardware and software variations, but I'm trying to figure out if that's just how it is, or I'm configuring something incorrectly.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else using a OnePlus One with OxygenOS? I just got my OPO yesterday and immediately flashed it (after unlocking and installing TWRP). Now when I swipe down to open the notification shade the shade swipes all the way down to the various quick settings. I then have to swipe up a bit to close the quick settings and get to the actual notifications. It happens pretty consistently.

I didn't spend much time with CM12 before flashing so I'm not sure if this issue might be software or hardware related. For all I know it has some connection with the OPO's touchscreen issues. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues before I start doing something crazy like flash the new kernel with updated touchscreen firmware to my phone in an attempt to fix it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

But definitely, under no circumstances, go to a custom rom. It is just not worth it.

I have my Note 4 on CM12. The fingerprint scanner doesn't work anymore but who loving cares. S-Pen works perfectly; there are other apps you can get that replicate the functionality that matters (taking notes, etc). I was able to update from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1 without a single bit of hassle. Samsung apps are garbage anyway.

I think it's absolutely worth it to root a Note 4 and put Cyanogen on it. Perfect phone, everything works. Yeah, you trip KNOX, but again, who cares? Samsung's warranty is a load of poo poo anyway. You still have to pay to send your phone in, and at that point you might as well just buy the parts on amazon for like ten bucks and fix it yourself.

edit: plenty of guides out there about how to change the screen, change the camera lens, etc etc. You don't need Samsung's bullshit warranty.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 17, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

LastInLine posted:

Lollipop has been flawless on the five devices I have with it since it launched.

Did you try it on the Nexus 7 at launch? It broke video playback on my 2013 model. The first OTA got pulled quickly, probably due to complaints.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wipeout posted:

Did you try it on the Nexus 7 at launch? It broke video playback on my 2013 model. The first OTA got pulled quickly, probably due to complaints.

I did but I also have never watched video on that device so I wouldn't have noticed. What I did notice is that it stopped reporting on its own and multiuser mode wasn't unusable so it was a massive improvement.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im running rooted stock 5.0 on my moto x 2014, whats the best way to get free wifi tethering? The app in the OP is not in the market anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

madkapitolist posted:

Im running rooted stock 5.0 on my moto x 2014, whats the best way to get free wifi tethering? The app in the OP is not in the market anymore.

Which Moto X? XT1092/1095/1097/? Have you tried without an app?

Also what provider even cares about tethering anymore?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I think there's an Xposed module for this. Also a lot of androids have tethering capabilities by default so I would check that first.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Legacy unlimited data plans generally mean the carrier imposes tethering restrictions on the device. Or at least require a buy up to enable the feature built into Android, like Verizon does for $30 to use your unlimited data for tethering.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
XT1097 (the AT&T model) on Cricket wouldn't let me tether. I upgraded to an XT1095 after a week mostly because of that.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
After a month rooted, I've flashed back to the factory image for my n6 in anticipation of the 5.1.1 update. Also who knows maybe Facebook fixed their loving poo poo.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Which Moto X? XT1092/1095/1097/? Have you tried without an app?

Apps are passe. And yes, tethering is not such a big thing anymore with the advent of mostly-free wifi in most public buildings like libraries, coffeeshops, grocery stores, & fitness & rec centers

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

After a month rooted, I've flashed back to the factory image for my n6 in anticipation of the 5.1.1 update. Also who knows maybe Facebook fixed their loving poo poo.

Greenify has a non-rooted mode that works really well, just allow it on Security/Device administrators and Accessibility and will keep that awful Facebook app in line. Or just do like most sane people, use a decent browser and use the web version.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You really think that's how most people use Facebook from their phone or tablet?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
24 hours later I'm happy to report that my n6 got about 3 hours sot and 14 hours of use without root and Facebook app notifications turned off.

I miss adblock though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

revolther posted:

You really think that's how most people use Facebook from their phone or tablet?

It's how a lot of people do it these days. There was a whole "debacle" awhile ago about Facebook's app being the cause of battery drain and then a few months after it was found out that Facebook does a lot of shady things behind the scenes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

revolther posted:

I said sane people. Most people just complain how they removed some feature, or how bad it looks but keeps using it instead of going straight to the web version. On some browsers (like Opera) you can just load the desktop version and suffer even less lovely design.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

madkapitolist posted:

I use FoxFi for this. I've never gotten the wifi tethering to work, through. I've only ever been able to use it while plugged in to a usb port on the device I wanted to give internets to, and even then only when the companion desktop app is installed as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been digging around trying to find a definitive answer on this somewhere, and I'm not having much luck. This thread is as good a place to ask as any I suppose. Can you format sdxc microSD cards into sdhc and have it act functionally the same? I just got a Moto E LTE, and it holds a microSD card up to 32gb (FAT32), but I'm wondering if I can buy a 64 or 128 and get it to work as an SDHC card with more storage. Anyone tried this with success or know if it's possible? If it involves partitioning it and a bunch of nonsense I won't bother because I want to store music all in one folder where my music player can have access to it all at once, but if it could function as just a solid 64gb card, that would be awesome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volkerball posted:

I've been digging around trying to find a definitive answer on this somewhere, and I'm not having much luck. This thread is as good a place to ask as any I suppose. Can you format sdxc microSD cards into sdhc and have it act functionally the same?

No. Putting an SDXC card into SDHC only device, depending on the actual software/hardware, can either let you use up to the SDHC limit (rare), attempt to let you do it but frequently have data loss (more common) or simply not work (happens most of the time).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nintendo Kid posted:

No. Putting an SDXC card into SDHC only device, depending on the actual software/hardware, can either let you use up to the SDHC limit (rare), attempt to let you do it but frequently have data loss (more common) or simply not work (happens most of the time).

This is true with using SDHC or SDXC cards in a simple SD device, because there are major signal differences between SD and SDHC/SDXC. But SDHC and SDXC are electrically identical; the only difference is that SDHC uses FAT32 and SDXC uses ExFAT, because Microsoft banned Windows from formatting devices larger than 32GB to FAT32 to hammer home NTFS with Windows XP (and also because they can extract royalties from ExFAT), and the SD Association was forced to bend to the OS with a market-saturation adoption rate. Since this is fishmech, I'm going to call bullshit on him (at least liars care about the facts).

SDXC cards will work fine in SDHC devices if you find a way to format them FAT32 and they aren't explicitly limited to 32 GB host-side. You'll need a third-party utility to do this on Windows because it's Microsoft's fault SDXC defaults to ExFAT in the first place.

EDIT: That said, there are technical reasons you might not want to use FAT32, chief among them the 4GB per-file limit.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 27, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

This is true with using SDHC or SDXC cards in a simple SD device, because there are major signal differences between SD and SDHC/SDXC. But SDHC and SDXC are electrically identical; the only difference is that SDHC uses FAT32 and SDXC uses ExFAT, because Microsoft banned Windows from formatting devices larger than 32GB to FAT32 to hammer home NTFS with Windows XP (and also because they can extract royalties from ExFAT), and the SD Association was forced to bend to the OS with a market-saturation adoption rate. Since this is fishmech, I'm going to call bullshit on him (at least liars care about the facts).

SDXC cards will work fine in SDHC devices if you find a way to format them FAT32 and they aren't explicitly limited to 32 GB host-side. You'll need a third-party utility to do this on Windows because it's Microsoft's fault SDXC defaults to ExFAT in the first place.

EDIT: That said, there are technical reasons you might not want to use FAT32, chief among them the 4GB per-file limit.

I'm stuck with FAT32 either way, so the only functional difference would be in storage if formatting worked flawlessly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not exactly root related but I'll throw this in here since it involves ROMs:

I just got an in-app feedback report from a device with the user agent "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.4; SD4930UR Build/KTU84P)". It looks like thats an Amazon Fire Phone (this much is confirmed in the message) running a third-party build of stock KitKat, right? Or did Amazon really re-fork from KitKat for the Fire Phone and use the same build number system?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 27, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Not exactly root related but I'll throw this in here since it involves ROMs:

I just got an in-app feedback report from a device with the user agent "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.4; SD4930UR Build/KTU84P)". It looks like thats an Amazon Fire Phone (this much is confirmed in the message) running a third-party build of stock KitKat, right? Or did Amazon really re-fork from KitKat for the Fire Phone and use the same build number system?

They reforked it, I'm almost certain.

e: Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

They reforked it, I'm almost certain.

e: Source
Hmm, it's pretty weird that they didn't even set their own build number on it though.

Luckily I don't have to deal with this either way because we only distribute through Play which means he sideloaded it and surprise it doesn't work because Play Services and Maps and other poo poo is all missing.