Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Weapon durability is bad in every game. It's bad in Fire Emblem, it's bad in Dead Rising, it's bad in Dark Souls, it's bad everywhere. Just let me use my weapons!

So what's the point of Phoenix Mode, exactly? Who's so bad at the game they can't beat it on normal? If it's anything like FE:A, you could abdicate every turn and the enemies would kill themselves on your wall of paired up defense.

I actually liked it in Dark Souls 2 PVP where you had ways to rapidly degrade your opponents weapon durability during combat and punish them for putting all their eggs in one basket but it felt pretty pointless and vestigial in Bloodborne and it never really did anything for me in Fire Emblem except make me less excited about using whatever sweet new weapon I found because I didn't wanna "waste" it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lots of people seem enjoy "challenge" via way of tedium(See: People who enjoy clickers/idle games or people who defend ludicrously low drop rates in RPGs). I don't get it at all, but whatever floats their boat.

its actually not tedium at all but rather a balancing decision that makes using your powerful weapons a strategic decision. im sure they can balance the game around unbreakable weapons but saying they added nothing but tedium is dumb

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Reggie should be in your Plaza now for E3. He will likely be the only chance you ever have to get a Mii with "Hobby: Sports" for Battleground Z.

For those of you with the fishing game, use the special ticket Reggie gives you immediately. It didn't say that I couldn't keep it, and I stupidly went to a normal island :smithicide:

The special ticket normally costs 50 play coins

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
During street pass week I did the entire gold island except the last spot because it requires having caught the rest of the legendary fish. So that golden ticket will be worthless to me until I get four more legendaries.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For those of you with the fishing game, use the special ticket Reggie gives you immediately. It didn't say that I couldn't keep it, and I stupidly went to a normal island :smithicide:

The special ticket normally costs 50 play coins

I also learned this the hard way during the spotpass week. I was getting gold tickets left and right due to all the different regions. I thought I was stocking up for some mad fishing. After the event was over I learned that was not the case.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, Xenoblade is £19.85 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U5KLSYM

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

UK dudes, Xenoblade is £19.85 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U5KLSYM

Amazon UK no longer gives free shipping even to the UK unless one were to spend £20. Lamely, they never price stuff just £20 like in this case. Amazon UK has turned into complete poo poo in the last two years -- if you are in the UK, there's a bunch of other retailers with better prices and service.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
For UK peeps, keep an eye out here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/gaming/deals/new

Great deals can often be had at ShopTo, The Game Collection, and Rakuten. Kid Icarus is currently £17.86 at ShopTo, and you'll get 45 pence in points for your next purchase.

http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSKI01-kid-icarus-uprising-3ds

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Terper posted:

And if you play on Classic and in the middle of the game go "I don't want to bother with this anymore, it's too hard, but I still wanna see the ending", you can switch down to Casual or Phoenix. You can't switch back up though.

More video games should be like this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up, PAL-land is getting the new Pushmo/Fallblox game today ("Pullmo") - it's a free download with DLC content packs, but it's not a f2p game like Pokemon Shuffle or whatever, you can just buy all the content for 10EUR and be done with it. The full unlock contains 200+ puzzles and a level editor as per the previous games, and there are different playable characters with their own gimmicks/themes and whatnot. It looks more like a true Pushmo followup than Crashmo did, which I guess will please a few people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9pNKUTDPzU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The seven 'free' levels from Fullbox is just a tutorial. I was hoping for some actual free levels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a new n3DS bundle coming for Aussies on the 21st, that has a White n3DS, a copy of Smash Bros, an exclusive Smash Bros-themed set of faceplates (which are only available in said bundle), and one amiibo of your choice (out of whatever's in stock). No price yet though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

its actually not tedium at all but rather a balancing decision that makes using your powerful weapons a strategic decision. im sure they can balance the game around unbreakable weapons but saying they added nothing but tedium is dumb

I feel like you're like halfway right here- it's definitely a neat variety-adding mechanic that there are legendary weapons with durability so you can't just use the drat things all the time or weird things like glass weapons with like 5 durability. But the "standard" weapons probably shouldn't have durability- I don't want to look at all of my mans and make sure their dumb spear/axe/sword isn't going to break halfway through the battle because A Number got too low.

It's not like some "Ohhh god noo this is horrrribllee I'm never gonna play this again" thing but it is a petty irritant more often than not.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Can someone quote the post where the dude managed to write "new 3DS" with the accents arround "new"? I can't find it anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9pNKUTDPzU

Trailer for new Pushmo game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book posted:

Mods, please edit the thread title to the proper name: - ̗̀new ̖́- Nintendo 3DS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Only goons that are pure of heart can use accents for the - ̗̀new ̖́- Nintendo 3DS

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Pushmo games aren't really my style, but god drat if it isn't one of the best quality non-nintendo games on the system.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

Only goons that are pure of heart can use accents for the - ̗̀new ̖́- Nintendo 3DS

This post transformed me into a pillar of salt as I scrolled past it. Too pure :saddowns:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fremry posted:

The Pushmo games aren't really my style, but god drat if it isn't one of the best quality non-nintendo games on the system.

The Pushmo games are made by IntSys, which is as close to being Nintendo as you can get without being in EAD. :ssh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh hell yes it's got a new core mechanic like Crashmo did, awesome. Pushmo World was great but I like that they're continuing to innovate.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stretchmo is out in NA now, too.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I am windmill slamming my $10 on the table as soon as I get home to achieve full Stretchmo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god the rules of Stretchmo are so weird it's really loving me up with the way you can create new things to stand on

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

thanks

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Katana Gomai posted:

More video games should be like this.

if you arent good enough to beat a game you dont deserve to see the ending

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like if you're that sick of the actual game part you might as well just watch the rest of the story on youtube or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah. I dunno, but I get a lot more appreciation for things like that if I do them myself. I got halfway through FE6 before I realized hey, this game is not fun, so I just cheated max stats and went through the rest of the game that way. Easier to set your own pace than watch a video.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The people forcing you to play on baby mode are the same people forcing you to reset the mission every time someone dies

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like if you're that sick of the actual game part you might as well just watch the rest of the story on youtube or something.

Phoenix mode eliminates this need, making the unwashed casual masses and those who just want to pair their srpg characters up and make them make babies demonstrably happier with the game while doing nothing to impact people who are good at the game. I don't see the downside.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People got really upset over casual mode in Awakening too, so people just hate that others can play a more easier version of a game I guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i wonder if avid fe fans ever get into fights with avid pokemon fans

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

remember when there used to be cheat codes in games which did the exact same thing

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
whatever happened to cheat codes man

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

whatever happened to cheat codes man

they're DLC now

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Katana Gomai posted:

they're DLC now

They were always DLC, just before you had to buy a magazine to get them

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When is that part in Xenoblade where you have to do the three quests you shouldn't miss that you guys talked about a long time ago? I'm working my way through the swamp to get to the colony now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People got really upset over casual mode in Awakening too, so people just hate that others can play a more easier version of a game I guess.

People threatened to rape and kill a woman who worked at bioware and said it might be nice for a game to let you skip combat so you could see the story if you wanted.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Katana Gomai posted:

they're DLC now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

i wonder if avid fe fans ever get into fights with avid pokemon fans

At least FE doesn't make you beat the game to unlock easy mode