Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Scyantific posted:

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

They finally get to do the shrinking thing AND Rory Williams is a Time Lord Master? I will watch this show on the basis of that alone. :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Looks like someone got the hint about the funky Supergirl trailer and made a much better one, without the pop songs. Really wish they had released this before the one yesterday.
And this looks incredible.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Looks like someone got the hint about the funky Supergirl trailer and made a much better one, without the pop songs. Really wish they had released this before the one yesterday.
And this looks incredible.

god drat, that trailer was so much better. :swoon:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

god drat, that trailer was so much better. :swoon:

The different music helps a lot, but all the cringey #supergirl stuff from the first trailer is going to be somewhere in the show still, anyway... :negative:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can see why they tried to hide the fight in the original trailer though as the CG is awful. Hopefully they have a lot more work to do on that before it hits TV screens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure why they would go to the bother of hiring Robbie Amell in the first place if they were just going to replace him right away.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure why they would go to the bother of hiring Robbie Amell in the first place if they were just going to replace him right away.

Maybe they did it as a favor to Stephen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He was only a guest star this season so it's possible that he got cast in some other show or movie that conflicts with the shooting.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Duff 2

Duff Harder

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
Supergirl and Gotham are airing in the same time slot. That seems like kind of a stupid scheduling choice on CBS's part. I can't imagine WB is pleased with that scheduling.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I kinda hate the Firestorm costume on Flash so I hope he ends up looking a little cooler in this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

the-jam posted:

Supergirl and Gotham are airing in the same time slot. That seems like kind of a stupid scheduling choice on CBS's part. I can't imagine WB is pleased with that scheduling.

Yeah, Supergirl v Gotham. Though I haven't watched an episode of Gotham and I'm planning on watching Supergirl. CBS has at least won me over. For now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm on board for Supergirl for at least the first few episodes just because the lead seems very charismatic. Never seen her in anything before.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hakkesshu posted:

The networks are pretty good at ramping up production for new shows these days. It feels like if the cards are right they can crank out a full 10-13 episodes of a new show from casting to pre-production to shooting in like six months, with it premiering a few months later.

Yeeeaaaah I just don't know. I loved Preacher but it is so out of the 90's, I have no idea how well it will play if they try to update the story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagine someone trying to adapt The Invisibles today.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The problem with trying to revive the 90's zeitgeist is all that old conspiracy hounding stuff looks really naive in a world where twitter has proved most of us will happily trade privacy for attention

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

He was only a guest star this season so it's possible that he got cast in some other show or movie that conflicts with the shooting.

Yeah, that truck splitting apart was pretty :catstare:. The show certainly has potential, there's good and bad in there, but I'm not banking on it. There was a time when I'd be pretty much happy just to have a live action comic show of any type, especially if it openly embraced the comic-book superhero aspects, but at this point that's gone from a welcomed surprise to the bare minimum expectation.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 14, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm kinda hype as gently caress for Legends, guys. I'm also glad they also obviously agree with me that Wentworth Miller loving owns as Captain Cold. Kinda sucks Katana probably won't be sticking around, I was hoping she'd be in it but otherwise it looks great.

You gotta realize I grew up on hokey-as-gently caress Sam Raimi shows so I don't just tolerate camp, when it's good camp I devour it

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Harime Nui posted:

Kinda sucks Katana probably won't be sticking around, I was hoping she'd be in it but otherwise it looks great.

The chance of that died the minute that Suicide Squad picture was released with her in it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah, that's an incredibly stupid policy. Maybe if they just kept Tatsu around but ditched the costume and didn't call her Katana?? (I mean, they didn't call her that anyway ever)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Harime Nui posted:

I'm kinda hype as gently caress for Legends, guys. I'm also glad they also obviously agree with me that Wentworth Miller loving owns as Captain Cold. Kinda sucks Katana probably won't be sticking around, I was hoping she'd be in it but otherwise it looks great.

You gotta realize I grew up on hokey-as-gently caress Sam Raimi shows so I don't just tolerate camp, when it's good camp I devour it

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place in my heart for camp. Miller, Bannerman, even Lachlan on Agents of SHIELD are all fantastic scenery chewing monsters and it's awesome. Usually the Arrowverse hits their camp pretty well. I think the only problem comes when they get the tone uneven and try to do camp and serious too close together; the tonal whiplash makes it hard to respect either, and they both end up looking ridiculous, in a bad way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omg chael crash posted:

I kinda hate the Firestorm costume on Flash so I hope he ends up looking a little cooler in this

Firestorm has one of the best costumes going in comicbooks so it kind of sucks how lovely he looks in the show. I wish they would play around and give him a real costume instead of the torso thing he is wearing right now, but I doubt they will which is a shame.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think the thing that bugs me is when the characters don't take poo poo seriously. Like I know it's easy to beat up that loving Agents of SHIELD pilot but the dialogue was just like this constant grating "lol this is silly isn't it" commentary and it's like yeah, I know it's silly, stop winking at me please. What makes the CW shows work is that basically no matter how goofy it gets the characters are going to treat it with deadly seriousness. It would lose its charm if someone was making a running commentary like "wow, who keeps making all these doomsday machines?? Can you get this stuff on e-bay?"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Yeeeaaaah I just don't know. I loved Preacher but it is so out of the 90's, I have no idea how well it will play if they try to update the story.

I can't stand Preacher myself, but the cast is outstanding, and I'm sure they'll tone down the Ennis a lot for TV. I expect it to be pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place in my heart for camp. Miller, Bannerman, even Lachlan on Agents of SHIELD are all fantastic scenery chewing monsters and it's awesome. Usually the Arrowverse hits their camp pretty well. I think the only problem comes when they get the tone uneven and try to do camp and serious too close together; the tonal whiplash makes it hard to respect either, and they both end up looking ridiculous, in a bad way.

Miller's :smug: "WHO DOESN'T LIKE A THANK YOU?" in this week's Flash was glorious. And the girl playing Golden Glider is pretty good too. A little sad she's not coming along for Rip Hunter's Wild Ride.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Imagine someone trying to adapt The Invisibles today.

"This is a huge Matrix ripoff".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fadam posted:

Sure, and I agree that all this debate and discussion is largely pointless because who knows how the show is actually going to turn out, but aren't trailers usually consistent in tone and content to the finished product?

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYh7mrJxbXw

Edit: Did everyone talking about how Supergirl is the first female led comic show forget Peggy Carter exists and was renewed for a second season?
You forgot the "fights for family and lives for love" Batman Begins promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the most recent Flash episode and I see why they always have Cavanagh take the cowl off when Reverse-Flash isn't doing the blurry vibration thing; doesn't look as good with it up, unless he's doing the glowy eyes at the same time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw the most recent Flash episode and I see why they always have Cavanagh take the cowl off when Reverse-Flash isn't doing the blurry vibration thing; doesn't look as good with it up, unless he's doing the glowy eyes at the same time.

Hahaha, I felt the same way.

Also, the Legends trailer owned. The recut Supergirl trailer was also a LOT better, and made it look much more in line with the other CW shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neil Gaiman has said he's seen the Lucifer pilot and while it looks unrelated it does end up working comic stuff in there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to like the Legends of Tomorrow trailer but the dialogue seems like it's the same level of stilted and unnatural that made Flash such hard viewing for me. I dunno, it's just... I can suspend my disbelief that they have superpowers, but not that anyone actually talks like that. And I have pretty high tolerance, I'd think, given the rest of the nerd genre shows I love.

Rory looks great, though. But never gonna not call him Rory.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Neil Gaiman has said he's seen the Lucifer pilot and while it looks unrelated it does end up working comic stuff in there.

It's probably going to be about as accurate as Constantine (which totally did have stuff from the comics in it) if not even less, so anyone expecting something more than that will probably end up like the butthurt Hellblazer fanboys, whining on the internet about how the show "ruined" Constantine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Has he also got an update on that Sandman movie or American Gods show? Or are those things pretty dead in the water I wonder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Hahaha, I felt the same way.

See, Gustin can pull it off, so I recognise it's because Cavanagh is older and a bit gaunter. Like, there's a picture online, if you do a GIS, of Cavanagh in the suit with the glowing red eye effects added, and it looks fine. If they'd kept those in, I reckon it would have looked okay.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, Gustin can pull it off, so I recognise it's because Cavanagh is older and a bit gaunter. Like, there's a picture online, if you do a GIS, of Cavanagh in the suit with the glowing red eye effects added, and it looks fine. If they'd kept those in, I reckon it would have looked okay.

You're right, the read eyes really do bring it together. It's his eyes. Somehow they just seem weird behind the mask. Maybe its because we spent so long looking at him without the mask that it seemed weird to see him with it on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Reverse-Flash, check this picture out: looks a bit like he's doing a little victory dance. :haw:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why this is the first set pic who knows, but this is Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer and Arseface:

The "arse" spelling, that's just an artifact of how Brits pronounce r's right? I mean, we aren't going to have people say ARRRRseface in American accents , it's just going to be Assface right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Why this is the first set pic who knows, but this is Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer and Arseface:

The "arse" spelling, that's just an artifact of how Brits pronounce r's right? I mean, we aren't going to have people say ARRRRseface in American accents , it's just going to be Assface right?

He's called Arseface because Cassidy is the one who names him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

He's called Arseface because Cassidy is the one who names him.

Isn't Cassidy the most Texan motherfucker on earth?

Edit: Oh, Cassidy, i was thinking Jesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Isn't Cassidy the most Texan motherfucker on earth?
Uh...no.