Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmiander posted:

How do foreign citizens get handled when injured in a country with government run "free" health care? Do they just get a $0 invoice and sent on their way, or do they get billed and somehow held responsible for it in their home country?

Visiting the Czech Republic from a non-EU country you need to have an insurance plan that will cover you or else you pay out of pocket. I don't know if that really means you're going to be stuck with a hospital bill though. Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Coredump posted:

Edit: Or a FD Mazda Rx-7 with a Hartley v8. The Hartley v8 is two Hayabusa inline 4's butt hosed together at the crank. Around 400 hp and 10,000 rpm redline, a piston engine to do the character of a Rotary proud. Same idea that Radical uses on their v8's.

The RADL is coming for you

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wife wants a boat. Don't think wife knows how much boats cost to buy and maintain. Wife doesn't know the phrase "Two happiest days of a boat owners life is the day they buy it and the day they sell it". I can always borrow my best friends boat. I use it more than he does anyway.

I want a boat, but at least I'm realistic about it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Travelling within the EU from the UK you have to have a 'European health Insurance card' (which is free) which I assume lets the place where you get any treatment charge it back to your local health service or keep some sort of reciprocal accounting.

You also have to watch out as there are some places that catch you out, like Guernsey which despite being in the channel in between England and France, speaking English and using the £ isn't actually part of the UK or Europe and doesn't have any reciprocal health care arrangements. Went there last summer and one of the mates I was with buggered his knee and had to go to hospital and came home with a big bill.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just got back from seeing Mad Max.

Guys, if you have even the slightest interest in cars then you loving NEED to witness this film on a huge screen. A 2D one unless you can get to an IMAX. gently caress me, it's just glorious in every way and the vehicles and mayhem and playfulness of it all............. I love it. I'm going to go see it again in 2D instead of the REALD3D I saw it in. :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Booked in for a 2D (gently caress 3D) showing in the nice leather-seats-and-separate-lounge screen after work tomorrow. :toot:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Booked in for a 2D (gently caress 3D) showing in the nice leather-seats-and-separate-lounge screen after work tomorrow. :toot:

Serious, I thought I'd give the 3D a chance as 2D wasn't an option when I initially booked and it looked fine but man, I really needed to drink every last bit of the madness in as clearly as possible... So I will go again. 2D.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Insurance chat before IoC smacks us down:

My opinion is Obamacare is a noble attempt to solve a real problem, but ultimately is not the magic bullet it was sold as.

My terminally ill friend did not have health insurance last year because he could not afford the premiums because of medical bills. The penalty assessed for not having health insurance was enough to keep him from affording health care this year, had folks not pitched in to help him.

US citizen in Czech Republic hospital story: I had an accident traveling on business in the Czech Republic about 5 years ago. I paid for services with my corporate card. The bill came to a whopping $1300 USD for surgery and 2 days in the hospital. Company gladly paid for it, along with the workers comp claim.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yep, medical everything is hosed here. My fiance just got put on a new prescription from her doctor, so we go to the pharmacy to pick it. $3,300 per month, and that is with insurance, its over $4k a month without. I make good money and I don't think we could afford that and still live in seattle. Luckily its not a 100% necessary prescription, so they are looking for alternatives.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The NHS has it problems, but it's saved my rear end multiple times. I'd be bloody terrified getting injured if I was in the US.

Got a plan for the weekend, me and fiancée are going to see Pitch Perfect 2, then go have dinner, get drunk and go see Mad Max :dance:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

More medicine chat... My prescription is $400 a month for each (take two) with insurance, luckily the company that makes the stuff had a card that lets patients get it for $10 a piece so they don't go to generics. Our healthcare system is hosed and prices for everything are completely stupid. The cost for my transplant, just the operation, was around $300k 17 years ago. I'm very lucky to have good insurance so my out of pocket tops out at $4500 a year, in a good year I make it to mid summer before hitting that...bad years I've hit it by February.

Not bullshit medical chat: Looks like the crazy project will be going on the back burner. Talked to my uncle and he doesn't have time/space/money for the MG TC. So at some point I'll either go pick it up or Dad and the uncle will then ship it down. Should be a pretty fun project and a complete change of pace from what I'm used to working on. Dad's going to try to get over soon and get some pictures and check over the thing.

Going to attempt to see Mad Max this weekend. I don't give a poo poo if I go alone, I need to see that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tide posted:

Wife wants a boat. Don't think wife knows how much boats cost to buy and maintain. Wife doesn't know the phrase "Two happiest days of a boat owners life is the day they buy it and the day they sell it". I can always borrow my best friends boat. I use it more than he does anyway.

I want a boat, but at least I'm realistic about it.

Basic care and maintenance helps prevent a lot of the more expensive problems from showing up, same as a car. And doing the work on it yourself easily brings it into affordable range.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Elmnt80 posted:

Basic care and maintenance helps prevent a lot of the more expensive problems from showing up, same as a car. And doing the work on it yourself easily brings it into affordable range.

Haha... Depends on the boat. Filling a 150 gallon tank with marina gas is never fun, nor is paying for the slip/boatel, and lord forbid you call seatow without being a "member".

A canoe? That's pretty cheap.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

I thought this was another healthcare post for a second.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

stump posted:

Got a plan for the weekend, me and fiancée are going to see Pitch Perfect 2, then go have dinner, get drunk and go see Mad Max :dance:

That is an awesome plan, I think I might have to steal that from you. Might kill 2 birds with one stone and go to cinebarre so we can eat dinner and get drunk while watching the movie!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goober Peas posted:

US citizen in Czech Republic hospital story: I had an accident traveling on business in the Czech Republic about 5 years ago. I paid for services with my corporate card. The bill came to a whopping $1300 USD for surgery and 2 days in the hospital. Company gladly paid for it, along with the workers comp claim.

I've had a 3 day hospital stay billed at a whole $3,500 (I'll have to find the paperwork, but I actually laughed when I got the bill, I honestly thought they'd left at least one zero off - they still wound up writing off the entire bill though, I was unemployed at the time). I've had an ER visit billed at $2,500, for about 5 hours, an IV, and some meds. 2 day stay billed at $22,000. 5 day stay bill was around 60k.

The $2500 visit and $3500 visit were both to the same hospital system, just different locations (Texas Health Resources, from the folks that managed to infect a nurse with Ebola, then parade her around on TV while she was getting treatment).

stump posted:

The NHS has it problems, but it's saved my rear end multiple times. I'd be bloody terrified getting injured if I was in the US.

The upside is, legally, a (normal) hospital can't refuse you treatment here. They can sure as hell send you some massive bills later. Then all the doctors, labs, techs, etc start sending their bills as well. It's a neverending pile of bills for a couple of months.

NitroSpazzz posted:

More medicine chat... My prescription is $400 a month for each (take two) with insurance, luckily the company that makes the stuff had a card that lets patients get it for $10 a piece so they don't go to generics.

Most of my diabetic supplies actually cost MORE if I buy them with insurance. Retail for a 50 pack of test strips for the meter I use is about $40, with insurance it's $50, and I need my doctor to write a prescription every month if I want to actually pay $50. So I go to Amazon and spend less than $50 for three 50 packs. I get lancets for $25 through insurance, or $2 if I buy store brand versions ($8 for name brand if I don't give them my insurance card). The meter I have is $20 at Walmart (retail pricing), or $50 with insurance.

I argued for months with my insurance about one of my meds being generic as well. It's even listed on the bottle as "Teva Generics", the pamphlet that comes with it says it's a generic, Teva's website lists it as a generic, the pharmacy says it's a generic, but the insurance company says it's a name brand, and say they're doing me a "favor" by charging me 1/4 of what they normally charge for non-preferred name brand medications (it's on their formulary as a preferred generic). Whatever.. I told my doctor about it, and he just started giving me 3 months prescriptions for it instead (same out of pocket cost). Still pisses me off, I don't pay a penny for "preferred generics". "Non-preferred name brand" is normally $100, but I guess for diabetic medications, they kneecap that a bit.

:psypop:

Thankfully, for all of my other meds combined, I only shell out $10 every 90 days (I'm on 5 at the moment). The $10 is for one med, everything else is $0.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 15, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CharlesM posted:

I thought this was another healthcare post for a second.

I mean, he's not wrong on that front either. DIY surgeries will save you a fortune, though they still may cost you an arm and a leg :haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If any of you are in the Tennessee/Georgia area, there is a big VW/Audi show in Helen, GA this weekend.

I will be there, as well as a few other goons. See you there!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I underestimated the size of my new TV when I bough it...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
these people are going to make a loving mint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

I want one to float around the apartment watching me be lazy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I want one to float around the apartment watching me be lazy.

But then you'd have to charge it every 20 minutes....

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coredump posted:

I want a Kugel Komponents rwd kit for a Ford Focus but use a Ecoboost 2.3 instead of a 302 v8. Then I would drive it over Griggs Racing and let them work their magic on the front end like they do with Mustangs. I might even let them do the thing with the live axle rear end since getting an IRS back there would be :effort:.

Only problem with a live rear axle is you destroy the Focus' excellent handling characteristics and essentially turn it into a straight line sled.

The only thing I ever saw those who actually pulled off a V8 swap do was drive around trolling people in muscle/pony cars.

That said, I too have dreamt of a turbo I-4 RWD hot hatch :allears:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Phone posted:

No poo poo. That is so goddamn cool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Phone posted:

Wonder what the top speed is. There will be herds of these fuckers at track days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wonder what the top speed is. There will be herds of these fuckers at track days.

According to the tech specs 25 MPH

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

88h88 posted:

Just got back from seeing Mad Max.

Guys, if you have even the slightest interest in cars then you loving NEED to witness this film on a huge screen.

This motherfucker aint lyin

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

According to the tech specs 25 MPH

Oh. Well, autocross then. Still cool as hell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Pretty cool device, though I would probably poo poo myself at throwing my $1000 creeper cam off a bridge just to catch a cool aerial shot.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Really though, let's get back to the important questions...

Like what in the hell do you call a double decker 59 Fleetwood? A Caddi-stack or a stack-illac?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Geoj posted:

Only problem with a live rear axle is you destroy the Focus' excellent handling characteristics and essentially turn it into a straight line sled.

The only thing I ever saw those who actually pulled off a V8 swap do was drive around trolling people in muscle/pony cars.

That said, I too have dreamt of a turbo I-4 RWD hot hatch :allears:

Oh believe me I would love to put IRS back there but how to mount it? As for a live axle turning it into a lead slews I'm gonna need a source for that. Doesn't the focus have a twist beam in back? Plus you get more weight rearward so that will help. Either way if someone can get that live axle to work it's Griggs racing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

T1g4h posted:

I mean, he's not wrong on that front either. DIY surgeries will save you a fortune, though they still may cost you an arm and a leg :haw:

Hasn't cost me anything yet :haw:

In fact the few times I've stitched myself back up instead of letting some butcher at the ER do it have scarred less.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kastein posted:

In fact the few times I've stitched myself back up instead of letting some butcher at the ER do it have scarred less.

Kastein, you're not right man.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Coredump posted:

Kastein, you're not right man.

Oh come on, I've super glued my share of cuts and gashes back together. That's not too bad. A needle and thread though :stare:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kastein posted:

Pffft, stitches. Just use Gorilla Glue :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coredump posted:

Doesn't the focus have a twist beam in back?

No, fully independent rear suspension. Ford calls it "control blade."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bandman posted:

Oh come on, I've super glued my share of cuts and gashes back together. That's not too bad. A needle and thread though :stare:

Sterile sutures "for veterinary use only" on amazon are dirt cheap and it doesn't hurt as bad as you would think. In fact I'd say less than the anesthetic I got poked full of last time I had an ER doc do it. I've had worse pain from smashing a knuckle while wrenching, and you know it's coming so you can mentally prepare.

If it's at a weird angle where I can't do a good job 1.5-handed, or I'm not sure if I damaged a nerve/artery/tendon it's ER time for sure. Otherwise, peroxide everything, throw a few stitches in it, re-peroxide, let it dry, neosporin, and a bandaid, good to go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hydrogen peroxide is not good for treating wounds

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picking embedded gravel out of the wounds in your wrists and knees with a tweezers is all kinds of fun. Would totally rather stitch myself up than do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can say that all you want, however my experience indicates that peroxide works great.

• Locked thread