Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

I was really hoping this link was going to be Tom Lehrer, and I was glad to be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Okay the pro core concept people have said enough to convince me that yeah, it's no worse than the old fashioned computational method. That said, they've also assured me how ridiculously delusional anyone is who thinks it's at all simpler than the old method. Note the proponents spending long paragraphs with complex formula to explain simple addition and claiming "see, that's how you do it in your head already!" And everyone taught the old way says "uh, no it's not." Then very briefly and succinctly explains the computational process.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

LoonShia posted:

For the love of Dog, Meowntresor!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Oh cool, 71 new posts in the funny picture thread!

Oh...

Math.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Maths.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My fourth grade math teacher always told us that we needed to know how to do this stuff in our head because "we wouldn't be able to carry a calculator everywhere." One of these days I'm going to track him down and just silently hold out my iPhone.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

SHUT UP ABOUT MATH AND POST FUNNY PICTURES, NERDS!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Oh cool, 71 new posts in the funny picture thread!

Oh...

Math.

You're not helping. If you want to help, post some funny pictures so that other people can quote them and tell you that they're not actually very funny. For example:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I had another image set of cats but gently caress ya'll

Pus my neg hole.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

There's a story behind this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9LZ3ojnxY

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

1=0.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999...?

Where is the significant digit?

The new Myst looks purrfect.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 19:39 on May 14, 2015

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Lolllllllllllll. loving conversion factors.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Choco1980 posted:

Okay the pro core concept people have said enough to convince me that yeah, it's no worse than the old fashioned computational method. That said, they've also assured me how ridiculously delusional anyone is who thinks it's at all simpler than the old method. Note the proponents spending long paragraphs with complex formula to explain simple addition and claiming "see, that's how you do it in your head already!" And everyone taught the old way says "uh, no it's not." Then very briefly and succinctly explains the computational process.

It's not supposed to be simpler. It's supposed to be a possibly more complicated way that allows you to understand how and why it works. For addition it's not such a big deal but by the time you get to long division none of the students have a damned clue of why it's supposed to work besides "that's what teacher told us and it seems to give the right answer."

Unfortunately it's pretty unfamiliar for current teachers so you occasionally get bumbling/confusing explanations for problems inspired by the new standards.

Anyway, content:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Skeesix posted:

Anyway, content:

Idgi. But that quote itself is pretty UAG cos it sounds more like an MRA talking about his fedora.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Backweb posted:

Idgi. But that quote itself is pretty UAG cos it sounds more like an MRA talking about his fedora.

She's saying that she's so hot, she wears her hijab to give the other women a chance with the men. :ssh:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

https://youtu.be/iwOuNYcT5NI

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOsE8HRZJQ

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

efb

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

thank mr skelechair

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I was farting around on Khan Academy a few weeks back and it gave me a negative number plus a negative number problem. I realized I had never been taught WHY that makes a positive number and had to really look around for answers beyond "because it just is and math is correct or incorrect". Same thing for why you can invert and multiply when dividing fractions. I say if kids are learning the why these days then good, even if it does look convoluted.

Also I have a story about funny pictures and it's that I told a story about math and then posted one

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm pretty sure a negative plus a negative does not equal a positive

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Davinci posted:

I'm pretty sure a negative plus a negative does not equal a positive

See this is why kids are better at math. I meant positive minus negative :downs:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
What if one of them is a double-negative?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

:nws:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FadedReality posted:

See this is why kids are better at math. I meant positive minus negative :downs:

That still might not be a positive number, do you mean a negative multiplied by a negative?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That still might not be a positive number, do you mean a negative multiplied by a negative?

A positive minus a negative should always be positive. Subtraction of a negative is equivalent to addition of a positive, and positive+positive is always going to be positive.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This chair rocks bones. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Skeesix posted:

It's not supposed to be simpler. It's supposed to be a possibly more complicated way that allows you to understand how and why it works. For addition it's not such a big deal but by the time you get to long division none of the students have a damned clue of why it's supposed to work besides "that's what teacher told us and it seems to give the right answer."

Unfortunately it's pretty unfamiliar for current teachers so you occasionally get bumbling/confusing explanations for problems inspired by the new standards.

And if people actually explained this instead of going on and on about how "It's how you already think of the problem in your head! :downs:" while everyone else was like, "uh, no you're full of poo poo" this derail would have ended much sooner. Thanks for that much better reasoning for the method, as I'm definitely the sort that have no freaking clue how something like dividing fractions is supposed to work in real life even though I can do it on paper.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

breaks posted:

Common core is not a curriculum and there are certainly plenty of examples of lovely implementation. The picture that was posted had a poor question and a worse response from the teacher. But the standards themselves are pretty solid. The idea behind them is the right way to go. It is good to teach kids the concepts of mathematics instead of how to be bad computers.

And THIS is what Common Core is really about; it's not a "curriculum", so the entire bloated district curriculum department doesn't really get to run it like they always have run curriculum. Districts here in Florida didn't have any actual test-prep materials at the start of the year. Because 38 states have Republican governors, and the rest of them don't give two shits about education on average, the average training a teacher has received in how to IMPLEMENT Common Core has been haphazard and insufficient.

And of course all of this is happening while teachers are getting their planning times cut, when this mandate that we all move to a Total Testing Environment is something that runs totally counter to all the years we spent in school trying to achieve that difficult task of getting a room full of 30 children to actually retain information when your hands are tied by this new unfunded mandate. Trust me. I've been teaching for a decade. This whole thing has been a death knell ringing across the country. Teachers are quitting and retiring in droves. It doesn't make a poo poo bit of difference if God himself crapped out a Golden Tablet called Common Core, the structural problems in American education make it impossible to implement, and without teachers effectively implementing this poo poo, the result is confusion and misery for everyone.

God, I love the PYF Funny Pictures Thread.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Quidam Viator posted:

And THIS is what Common Core is really about; it's not a "curriculum", so the entire bloated district curriculum department doesn't really get to run it like they always have run curriculum. Districts here in Florida didn't have any actual test-prep materials at the start of the year. Because 38 states have Republican governors, and the rest of them don't give two shits about education on average, the average training a teacher has received in how to IMPLEMENT Common Core has been haphazard and insufficient.

And of course all of this is happening while teachers are getting their planning times cut, when this mandate that we all move to a Total Testing Environment is something that runs totally counter to all the years we spent in school trying to achieve that difficult task of getting a room full of 30 children to actually retain information when your hands are tied by this new unfunded mandate. Trust me. I've been teaching for a decade. This whole thing has been a death knell ringing across the country. Teachers are quitting and retiring in droves. It doesn't make a poo poo bit of difference if God himself crapped out a Golden Tablet called Common Core, the structural problems in American education make it impossible to implement, and without teachers effectively implementing this poo poo, the result is confusion and misery for everyone.

God, I love the PYF Funny Pictures Thread.

Floridian here as well and I've had teachers tell me it MIGHT work if they had rolled out Common Core starting with Kindergarten, then next year expand it to 1st Grade, then 2nd, etc. but there's way too much private money at stake. Instead you had kids and teachers alike coming back to school from one year to the next being told every way they've learned up until now is trash and this is the new poo poo. I've also been told the amount of test prep makes what we already thought was bad with FCAT look tame.

One teacher I know quit entirely after a year of being berated and threatened with being fired because the special education kids were incorporated into her classroom and were bringing down the test scores.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncN5To9sWzk

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

:ironicat:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

I bet this guy has a really cool pewter dragon necklace.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Check your fly, bro.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Hockles posted:

Check your fly, bro.

I had missed that so with all my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Dear Parents,

If you never understood or liked math as a kid you're probably not gonna understand your child's math homework either. Try not to gently caress up your kid's interest in education by being a raging rear end in a top hat to their already stressed out and overworked teachers. If your kids need help with their homework, perhaps you can look into resources at their school that're more familiar with the curriculum than you are. If such resources are unavailable, I'm sure the school would greatly appreciate you championing to your congressperson them getting more funding.

Wait, sorry, no. Pretend I said something about bootstraps.

• Locked thread