Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm not a fan of the way the cammer decides to park up and block the lane just so he can act important and be the 20th person to arrive and gawk at the scene while being probably the 45th person to dial 911. Move on, you're wearing a suit and don't have any first aid on you to help anybody with, you are just being a burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

go3 posted:

2 miles of highway
3 wrecks
10 cars

Because it rained. God bless Texas drivers y'all.

It rained in Portland (shocking) the other night, so, naturally, the Prius in front of me was driving 20 on a 30 mph surface street with a car pacing its blind spot in the next lane. Thanks for basically boxing me in, dicks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tuna posted:

I'm not a fan of the way the cammer decides to park up and block the lane just so he can act important and be the 20th person to arrive and gawk at the scene while being probably the 45th person to dial 911. Move on, you're wearing a suit and don't have any first aid on you to help anybody with, you are just being a burden.

If I was the bus driver I'd be pretty happy that an actual eyewitness with a camera stopped. Depending on the laws there, evidence that dude was on the street, not the sidewalk and moving a pretty good clip could save him money, his job, and his license. Maybe his freedom.
If you witness a serious accident, make sure you are known because most of the time uninvolved witnesses are few and far between.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tuna posted:

The law here states that if you witness an accident with injuries (I forget the exact wording) it's actually a crime to leave the scene. In this case not only did he witness it, but has actual video of the entire thing, I think it would be pathetic if he had left the scene without giving that information and his statement to the police. So he's 15 minutes late to whatever he's going to, and people have to actually pay a little bit of attention while going around his parked car, not a big deal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

go3 posted:

2 miles of highway
3 wrecks
10 cars

Because it rained. God bless Texas drivers y'all.

By the time I got to work this had apparently expanded to 5 wrecks and they finally shut the highway down.

It rained.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nm posted:

If I was the bus driver I'd be pretty happy that an actual eyewitness with a camera stopped. Depending on the laws there, evidence that dude was on the street, not the sidewalk and moving a pretty good clip could save him money, his job, and his license. Maybe his freedom.
If you witness a serious accident, make sure you are known because most of the time uninvolved witnesses are few and far between.

The Locator posted:

The law here states that if you witness an accident with injuries (I forget the exact wording) it's actually a crime to leave the scene. In this case not only did he witness it, but has actual video of the entire thing, I think it would be pathetic if he had left the scene without giving that information and his statement to the police. So he's 15 minutes late to whatever he's going to, and people have to actually pay a little bit of attention while going around his parked car, not a big deal.

Both good points on the camera footage being useful to everyone involved (although busses p.much always have cameras on them but one more can't hurt). For some reason the footage didn't even come into my mind, heh.

My main gripe is mostly that everyone who is nearby runs up to the accident and all dial 911 at the same time (usually with someone also yelling "DIAL 9-1-1!" in the background) and then just uselessly standing there 3ft away from a mangled body on the ground. If you count the people running across the roads to go stand near the accident it's like 15+ people and then everyone who's on the bus about to get off, then you have a giant crowd of people, most of which aren't even witnesses, just filming some guy on the ground. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are you in Fort Collins? Massive network of totally separate bike lanes there, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cyclists ride on the road anyway because, well, they're cyclists.

Nah, southwest Littleton. Urban sprawl heaven. The bike lane network down here is really nice, I used to ride to work when I worked down here.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tuna posted:

Both good points on the camera footage being useful to everyone involved (although busses p.much always have cameras on them but one more can't hurt). For some reason the footage didn't even come into my mind, heh.

My main gripe is mostly that everyone who is nearby runs up to the accident and all dial 911 at the same time (usually with someone also yelling "DIAL 9-1-1!" in the background) and then just uselessly standing there 3ft away from a mangled body on the ground. If you count the people running across the roads to go stand near the accident it's like 15+ people and then everyone who's on the bus about to get off, then you have a giant crowd of people, most of which aren't even witnesses, just filming some guy on the ground. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.

Nowadays most people probably run up so that they can film it and put on youtube for views, or to show off something that happened in their boring life. Instead of helping.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

tuna posted:

*watches person get run over by a bus
*drives away no fucks given 'cause I can't be late to work bro

Really gently caress the cyclist, he was iding against traffic on a one way road and he saw a large vehicle entering his path, and decided the smart option was to test the brakes on the bus.:downs:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the off-chance that a cyclist going the wrong way down a one-way street doesn't get creamed by a vehicle, they should be mercilessly beaten. I've been nearly hit more times because of than than when people are riding on the sidewalk. Sure, go the wrong way down the one way and then blow through the crosswalk at 40 km/h! No way that could go wrong.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nowadays most people probably run up so that they can film it and put on youtube for views, or to show off something that happened in their boring life. Instead of helping.

Also a lot of bystander effect, which is nothing new.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Instead of helping.

99.5% of them couldn't help if they tried. If anything they'd interfere and make things worse for the guy or get in the way of others who can help. This is why I don't understand their need to drop everything at once and rush over and Do Nothing.

If it's to stand over him and lecture him about road rules and cyclists not paying "road tax", etc. while he writhes his broken nublets in agony under the crushing weight of a filthy bus It would probably be worth it though.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

PT6A posted:

On the off-chance that a cyclist going the wrong way down a one-way street doesn't get creamed by a vehicle, they should be mercilessly beaten. I've been nearly hit more times because of than than when people are riding on the sidewalk. Sure, go the wrong way down the one way and then blow through the crosswalk at 40 km/h! No way that could go wrong.

If people were legally allowed to beat the poo poo out of wrong-way cyclists, college campuses would be a better place for both drivers and pedestrians.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Driving into work just now and all of a sudden, I got a whiff of raw gasoline in my car, which got worse and worse as I drove along. Since I drive a BMW, I automatically assumed the worst and thought I had sprung a major fuel leak under the hood (wouldn't be the first time it happened, sadly). Turns out, it wasn't me leaking anything; as I moved through traffic, looking for a place to pull over safely, all of a sudden, I heard a car up ahead that sounded like it had a MASSIVE misfire...I could hear it over the blower, the stereo and the wind noise at highway speed it was so bad. This dumb kid and his girlfriend in a VW Jetta was merrily going up the highway running on three cylinders. Last I saw he was heading out of town, almost twenty kilometres from when I first smelled him. :gonk:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tuna posted:

If it's to stand over him and lecture him about road rules and cyclists not paying "road tax", etc. while he writhes his broken nublets in agony under the crushing weight of a filthy bus It would probably be worth it though.

Is this the angry bicyclist equivalent of a motorcyclist watching a video of a motorcycle running into a parked car and going on a rant about cagers?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I guess I've become numb to the insanity of bicyclists and mopeds.

Yesterday my brother had a head-on collision with some oval office Armstrong wannabe. Said oval office came down a hill in the oncoming lane as she blasted into a tunnel. There was no way she could have seen whether or not there were other cyclists in that tunnel. No apologies or checking to see if my brother was okay. Just grabbed her poo poo and rode off.

A few weeks ago I got yelled at by some twit who came down a bridge, against traffic and wanted to run a red light.
He was very pissed when I started to drive when my light turned green. Somehow it was my fault that he had to brake so hard he locked his front wheel and fell, smashing up quite a lot of the groceries in the bags hanging from his handlebars.

I tend to not give a poo poo about suicidal cyclists, in the end they will move the gently caress over, or brake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Driving into work just now and all of a sudden, I got a whiff of raw gasoline in my car, which got worse and worse as I drove along. Since I drive a BMW, I automatically assumed the worst and thought I had sprung a major fuel leak under the hood (wouldn't be the first time it happened, sadly). Turns out, it wasn't me leaking anything; as I moved through traffic, looking for a place to pull over safely, all of a sudden, I heard a car up ahead that sounded like it had a MASSIVE misfire...I could hear it over the blower, the stereo and the wind noise at highway speed it was so bad. This dumb kid and his girlfriend in a VW Jetta was merrily going up the highway running on three cylinders. Last I saw he was heading out of town, almost twenty kilometres from when I first smelled him. :gonk:

A few years ago I was driving to work and saw this IMMENSE cloud of diesel smoke. I followed it to its source, believing it to be a Dodge Ram rollin' coal.

Nope, Mk3 Jetta TDI with a blown turbo. So blown, in fact, that I could hear shrieking bearings and grinding noises from four blocks away.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TNO posted:

If people were legally allowed to beat the poo poo out of wrong-way cyclists, college campuses would be a better place for both drivers and pedestrians.
It might not be legal to actively beat them up, but I certainly don't have to get out their way if they're trying to bomb through a pedestrian area. You know how you don't try to bully trucks out the way in a supermini? Turns out a lot of cyclists aren't that smart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I get mad at cyclists I take my frustration out in GTA 5. Every once in a while you'll see some bikers and I take special effort to run them over.

As long as it's just a video game I can't get in trouble. :colbert:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

When I get mad at cyclists I take my frustration out in GTA 5. Every once in a while you'll see some bikers and I take special effort to run them over.

Have they put in people talking on phones while driving? I want to take my frustration out on them, with the irony of the game constantly having you mess with your phone

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not that I've noticed.

But I generally ram them regardless because hearing their insults is still funny.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Going through a green light, just entering the intersection on my motorcycle, some rear end in a top hat in an SUV pulls a left turn in front of me. Whatever, no harm done. I slowed down and didn't even get near him since I saw him start to move, and he had his signal on so it wasn't a total shock.

Then some twat on a supersport who was behind him decides to pull the same thing, no signal, and almost takes us both out with about 18" to spare. Wearing one of those goodbye-to-your-chin Shark helmets made to look like a fighter pilot or whatever with the face mask and no chin bar.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

xzzy posted:

Shoot the cyclists with cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auTa7rfyOoE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

Driving into work just now and all of a sudden, I got a whiff of raw gasoline in my car...

I hate poo poo like this because thanks to years of driving cars that can/do leak often, my initial reaction is to assume that yes, it's my car pissing whatever fluid I'm smelling.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A few years ago I was driving to work and saw this IMMENSE cloud of diesel smoke. I followed it to its source, believing it to be a Dodge Ram rollin' coal.

Nope, Mk3 Jetta TDI with a blown turbo. So blown, in fact, that I could hear shrieking bearings and grinding noises from four blocks away.

I saw something similar to that just last week too...or rather, I smelled it before I saw it. Nothing like the choking smell of motor oil burnt in a diesel engine. And wouldn't you know it, it was a Mk5 Jetta TDI, just like today's offender (although today's was a 2.0T).

I genuinely wonder how far that kid got now...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hate poo poo like this because thanks to years of driving cars that can/do leak often, my initial reaction is to assume that yes, it's my car pissing whatever fluid I'm smelling.

Tell me about it. I'm especially paranoid about coolant smell, or anything that might even be remotely close to coolant smell, what with my Goddamned Cooling System.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 15, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Caravans are the worst. Pretty much every time I stop at a light and go HOLY poo poo MY HEAD GASKETS AAAAAAA there's a late-90s Caravan (or sometimes a cloud car) sitting nearby.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I can't smell anything over the lovely smell of chicken poo poo...

I think one of them shat into my air filter somehow.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

It might not be legal to actively beat them up, but I certainly don't have to get out their way if they're trying to bomb through a pedestrian area. You know how you don't try to bully trucks out the way in a supermini? Turns out a lot of cyclists aren't that smart.

When I'm walking, I never move when cyclists try to pass me on the sidewalk (illegal here). Some of the idiots have the nerve to ring their bell, which only means I make it even harder for them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So there's a strip mall nearby, with copious amounts of parking - seriously, the lot is never full.

Despite this, people will frequently pull up to the red-painted curb in front of shops, leave their car there while they run in. Today, though, I saw a new twist on this...

:what:

Dude was sitting in the car while I walked past, stopped in front, took a picture. A few minutes later, he got out of his car, and dropped off his dry cleaning. People were just driving around him the whole time.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The scariest thing I've learned from this thread is that the way I drive and park in GTA is the way some people do in real life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hikaki posted:

The scariest thing I've learned from this thread is that the way I drive and park in GTA is the way some people do in real life.

I actually try to park nicely in GTA, because it's easier to park between the lines or do nice reversing into a spot with a third person camera. I get upset when the game moves my car after I start a mission or something.

If the cars in GTA had turn signals I'd use them too.

Then after I get bored of driving I just walk Trevor into the middle of a crowded highway, hold up traffic and mash the taunt button.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hikaki posted:

The scariest thing I've learned from this thread is that the way I drive and park in GTA is the way some most people do in real life.
I mean, I didn't learn it from this thread, but yeah.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, we've all discussed the perils of bicyclists on the sidewalk. Well, today, I saw two different scooters driving on the sidewalk, on separate occasions. Oddly, it seemed to work without any danger, and then I figured out what the problem is with cyclists on sidewalks: they don't give right of way to pedestrians. The scooters were driving on the sidewalk to get to the road (since you're allowed to park on sidewalks here, apparently), but were respectful enough to not pass pedestrians. So, if you want to ride your bike on the sidewalk, I have to say it should probably be legal, but you should not be allowed to pass pedestrians, and you, as the cyclist, should have to move if pedestrians are coming toward you. If you don't, we get to beat you with a baseball bat.

There: I've solved all our problems!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

PT6A posted:

So, we've all discussed the perils of bicyclists on the sidewalk. Well, today, I saw two different scooters driving on the sidewalk, on separate occasions. Oddly, it seemed to work without any danger, and then I figured out what the problem is with cyclists on sidewalks: they don't give right of way to pedestrians. The scooters were driving on the sidewalk to get to the road (since you're allowed to park on sidewalks here, apparently), but were respectful enough to not pass pedestrians. So, if you want to ride your bike on the sidewalk, I have to say it should probably be legal, but you should not be allowed to pass pedestrians, and you, as the cyclist, should have to move if pedestrians are coming toward you. If you don't, we get to beat you with a baseball bat.

There: I've solved all our problems!

This is fair if we can also beat pedestrians and drivers who do stupid poo poo, too.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen people ride their scooters on the sidewalk before in GA - I'm new to the state, but apparently the law pretty clearly states that a 50cc vehicle is not allowed to drive on a street where the speed limit is greater than 35 mph. That would explain the one guy I saw scooting down the sidewalk - I guess, in his mind, he'd rather break the law by riding a scooter on a sidewalk than break it by riding it on a street.

Personally, I think you have a better chance of a gun-happy cop not putting 6 bullets into your skull when you ride on the street, but maybe I don't yet understand the local police well enough.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
After I got off the bus last night I just about got run over by an SUV driving down the footpath to jump a row of traffic. Pretty sure they never saw me either.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

dissss posted:

After I got off the bus last night I just about got run over by an SUV driving down the footpath to jump a row of traffic. Pretty sure they never saw me either.

You need to start carrying those "stop a douchebag" stickers on you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Camry Hybrid, daylight, driver wearing sunglasses, highbeams on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Camry Hybrid, daylight, driver wearing sunglasses, highbeams on.

I've run into a lot of daytime high beam drivers lately. Flashing my brights does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've seen a few people drive into a tunnel with their lights already on, and then turn on their high beams.