Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

pnumoman posted:

I'm gonna guess she'll be participating as a 1st year so that Souma can tear through them yet still preserve almost half as threats.

Doesn't seem like this is an expulsion threat so he might get crushed. But I can see this as his opportunity to take on Eizan finally.

Eizan was technically the bad guy in the last arc he just never was personally relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seconding the Iron Wok Jan recommendation and seconding the notion that it is really hard to find. I've only been able to find 2 volumes for sale (volumes 6 and 23). I read the first 5 volumes at my school library and had to find Korean scans for the rest.

The sequel, The Summit Operations, is also pretty fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

gwrtheyrn posted:

What other series would you say are good for this? I've read most of yakitake japan, nobunaga no chef, and everything that's been translated for cooking master boy. Never really got hooked into toriko.

I'm not fully sure if Kuneru Maruta is a cooking manga because only 3 chapters have ever been scanlated, which is a shame because it seems like a pretty chill manga about a Portuguese girl living in Japan.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

gwrtheyrn posted:

That's not exactly a high bar to meet.

What other series would you say are good for this? I've read most of yakitake japan, nobunaga no chef, and everything that's been translated for cooking master boy. Never really got hooked into toriko.
Off the top of my head I would suggest Mr Ajikko, and if you want an out-of-order series the Viz Oishinbo translations. The actual Oishinbo series is a huge hundreds of chapter behemoth that doesn't have any translation, but Viz translated a set of collected stories (each volume is themed after some topic) which are available both paperback and digitally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pnumoman posted:

I'm gonna guess she'll be participating as a 1st year so that Souma can tear through them yet still preserve almost half as threats.

I think they're all going to remain threats by the end of this, I don't see Souma beating any one of the Elite Ten, except maybe Erina if they want to kickstart some character development. Erina is almost definitely going to take part on the side of the Elite though since the reason she wasn't in the fall tournament was because she was already Number 10, so I don't see why it'd work the other way.

I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the 10 can do because Erina is supposedly the weakest (being number 10 and all) and she's still presented as unstoppable. It's a bit weird they're doing this right after what was basically a training arc though, because otherwise i'd see this as a perfect opportunity for the protagonists to get their butts kicked and grant the readers a look into the skills of some of the best chefs in the series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
http://anitay.kinja.com/food-wars-recipes-in-real-life-1-fake-pork-roast-1703359028

This was amusing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Swapping the mushrooms with cauliflower is one way to throw of the dish though. Mushrooms have that unami flavor not found in cauliflower.

It's still awesome to see them try though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I read the latest chapter of this manga and it didn't have any sexy babes in it, but I heard its all about sexy babes and to a lesser extent cooking. So can someone alert me when there's sexy babes in the manga? Thank you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
one of the girls he beats has the potential to be a sexy babe if they gave her a full body shot panel

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I enjoyed those gifs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

I read the latest chapter of this manga and it didn't have any sexy babes in it, but I heard its all about sexy babes and to a lesser extent cooking. So can someone alert me when there's sexy babes in the manga? Thank you.

Read the first 5 chapters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they're all going to remain threats by the end of this, I don't see Souma beating any one of the Elite Ten, except maybe Erina if they want to kickstart some character development. Erina is almost definitely going to take part on the side of the Elite though since the reason she wasn't in the fall tournament was because she was already Number 10, so I don't see why it'd work the other way.

I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the 10 can do because Erina is supposedly the weakest (being number 10 and all) and she's still presented as unstoppable. It's a bit weird they're doing this right after what was basically a training arc though, because otherwise i'd see this as a perfect opportunity for the protagonists to get their butts kicked and grant the readers a look into the skills of some of the best chefs in the series.

This manga will be 700 chapters long if they're all unstoppable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Angry Grimace posted:

Somewhere an executive is salivating at this thought and it's not because of the food.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Good.

And i'm not expecting anyone other than like the top 3 or so to be unstoppable, but I also don't think Soma is going to beat any of them this time. This could be because he just faces against one of the higher ones but aren't the 3 we know of relatively low ranked? And I don't think any of them will be eating a loss except maybe Erina. Erina's 10, Naked Apron Senpai is 7, and I think Eizan is 8 (not sure on this one), so I doubt people who are higher ranked than these guys will lose either. So maybe whomever's rank 9 will be defeated but I wouldn't expect the same to be true for any of the others.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I am not going to be shocked if Soma just skips some of them and the others are left as either friends (they're almost certainly not all enemies, e.g. Isshiki) or as enemies for Tadokoro.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Soma gets on the Elite 10 and then pulls Erina into his enemy-friend harem and she starts trying to step over other people to get to the top. I certainly don't really expect Erina to be treated as an enemy for the entire series. I just don't think you'll see Soma win a fight with her until then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I am not going to be shocked if Soma just skips some of them and the others are left as either friends (they're almost certainly not all enemies, e.g. Isshiki) or as enemies for Tadokoro.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Soma gets on the Elite 10 and then pulls Erina into his enemy-friend harem and she starts trying to step over other people to get to the top. I certainly don't really expect Erina to be treated as an enemy for the entire series. I just don't think you'll see Soma win a fight with her until then.

Yeah, i'm not expecting Soma to face all of them either, but that does not mean I am expecting any of them to be defeated at this point, or even made out to be a lesser cook than Soma. Soma getting into the Elite 10 seems like a thing that might happen a bit later, because if anything Akira should be next in line since I think it was implied that whoever wins the Fall Tournament will be highly considered for a spot. Although if this series ever goes into the 2nd year, which I think is pretty likely, a good number of the Elite 10 will probably have to graduate and so a bunch of the dudes who are introduced here might not be opponents for anyone down the line.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, i'm not expecting Soma to face all of them either, but that does not mean I am expecting any of them to be defeated at this point, or even made out to be a lesser cook than Soma. Soma getting into the Elite 10 seems like a thing that might happen a bit later, because if anything Akira should be next in line since I think it was implied that whoever wins the Fall Tournament will be highly considered for a spot. Although if this series ever goes into the 2nd year, which I think is pretty likely, a good number of the Elite 10 will probably have to graduate and so a bunch of the dudes who are introduced here might not be opponents for anyone down the line.

I always assumed (although it hasn't been stated) that the Elite 10 runs on "if you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man." (I probably owe Ric Flair :10bux: now) Then again, yeah they graduate I guess. The problem with the Elite 10 is that they're set up in a way that he can never beat them all without the series ending.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with the Elite 10 is that they're set up in a way that he can never beat them all without the series ending.

Well, if Soma beats all of the Elite 10, he still has to beat his dad.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I always assumed (although it hasn't been stated) that the Elite 10 runs on "if you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man." (I probably owe Ric Flair :10bux: now) Then again, yeah they graduate I guess. The problem with the Elite 10 is that they're set up in a way that he can never beat them all without the series ending.

Unless he beats them all only to discover they were a puppet government for the four devas of delicious, who are just the face of the seven sins of succulence, and so on and so forth.

Basically what I'm saying is it could be like every other shounen series and just keep pulling out new groups of people that are stronger better cooks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain McStabbin posted:

Unless he beats them all only to discover they were a puppet government for the four devas of delicious, who are just the face of the seven sins of succulence, and so on and so forth.

Basically what I'm saying is it could be like every other shounen series and just keep pulling out new groups of people that are stronger better cooks.

The most dangerous cooking of all, underground illegal cooking matches using rare and forbidden ingredients (panda steaks, condor eggs, elvers etc.) You have to bet a part of your body, and the entire scene is dominated by a seedy cabal of Europeans.

We learn this as Soma's Dad shows up and we see he now has a prosthetic leg, and warns Soma that even he was completely outclassed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It goes the route of Baki and famous cooks from history are revived to face off against Soma.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ytlaya posted:

It goes the route of Baki and famous cooks from history are revived to face off against Soma.

Or go into Legend of Koizumi territory where Souma has to beat the head chef of the White House, and Vatican in order to prove himself worthy of challenging Hitler's personal chef on the moon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Why do the Elite Ten all look like Bleach characters though?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can't wait for the Toriko crossover.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Mraagvpeine posted:

I can't wait for the Toriko crossover.

'Soup dripping from testicles' is overkill for this manga, don't you think

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I expect almost every member of the Polar Star dorm to get a rival among the 10 with Isshiki or Erina also vying for top spots

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I expect almost every member of the Polar Star dorm to get a rival among the 10 with Isshiki or Erina also vying for top spots

Megumi definitely. But I don't really see anyone else going for it, maybe Ibusaki since he's been getting some slight focus. But I think there are other characters who I think are a bit more important and likely to get a spot such as Akira, Kurokiba, Alice, Takumi, and maybe Arato depending on how her arc goes.

Not that the Polar Star guys will get dropped, they'll likely remain a more consistent supporting cast than some of the others but there's a reason none of them other than Soma and Megumi made it to the final 8 of the Autumn tournament.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

'Soup dripping from testicles' is overkill for this manga, don't you think

Completely straight faced answer: no.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Megumi definitely. But I don't really see anyone else going for it, maybe Ibusaki since he's been getting some slight focus. But I think there are other characters who I think are a bit more important and likely to get a spot such as Akira, Kurokiba, Alice, Takumi, and maybe Arato depending on how her arc goes.

Not that the Polar Star guys will get dropped, they'll likely remain a more consistent supporting cast than some of the others but there's a reason none of them other than Soma and Megumi made it to the final 8 of the Autumn tournament.

Megumi is the only one who has a chance to compete at Soma's level because she has the indefinable "hospitality/comfort" aspect that the other chefs can't match. Even Nikumi is just a one trick pony who may have leveled up her meat cooking skills but is still clearly behind them.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Read the first 5 chapters.

Ok this manga is epic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lol this chef covered in honey.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Looks like there's a 3DS game in the works, huh.

If it gets localized, it'll be called Cooking Soumama.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter is up. On my phone, so no link.

It almost seems random that the rest of the E10 is here since Soma has an active feud with the Ninth Seat already (that he doesn't know about). All he needs to do is foil one more of his plans, I think.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Angry Grimace posted:

New chapter is up. On my phone, so no link.

It almost seems random that the rest of the E10 is here since Soma has an active feud with the Ninth Seat already (that he doesn't know about). All he needs to do is foil one more of his plans, I think.

an active feud over Shoujo manga

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Link:

http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/118

Reminder, this is the lovely version that comes out prior to the official version on Monday. As always, I recommend you subscribe to the legit version on WSJ online to support the author.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 17, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pyronic posted:

Erina is the 10th.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pyronic posted:

It is not a feud if only one person cares.

Also, I love that one guy with the mohawk and huge sword. Even moreso than most characters he looks like a guy who walked into the wrong manga. :allears:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is not a feud if only one person cares.

Also, I love that one guy with the mohawk and huge sword. Even moreso than most characters he looks like a guy who walked into the wrong manga. :allears:

Literally a character from Hell's Kitchen.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm getting some Bleach vibes from all these new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm getting some Bleach vibes from all these new characters.

no don't say that

no shut up