Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

RatHat posted:

I haven't read the books, but Ciri only had the Witcher fighting training, she didn't do through the mutation stuff like a true Witcher(probably because the effects of it on a woman is too unpredictable).
The effects on anyone are too unpredictable. I don't think any of the current Kaer Morhen witchers are too enthused by the idea of killing nine kids for every new witcher. They don't know how to do it anymore, but they could very likely find a sorcerer to aid them and figure it out, should they choose to. It's a path they've never pursued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well yeah but the trials are specifically tuned for males so trying them on a girl is really risky when even men have a low survival rate. Even if there were female Witchers I don't think Geralt would want to risk the 90% chance of losing his kid.

EDIT:

quote:

:biotruths:
:goonsay:

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 14, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Archimago posted:

The dude who uploaded it was the German guy at the Nvidia event who did the dev interview I linked earlier so that's kind of interesting. I imagined it was footage from that event.

I've actually edited my post because I really shouldn't speculate on where he got it from, for all I know he's got a buddy in the UAE

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought Yen was bottomless in that scene? So the Arabic version she is in panties and has her hair up? Interesting because that is still a lot of skin :v:

In the arabic version she's not allowed to put her hair up, which honestly, baffles me as it goes against everything I thought I knew about arab custom

I'll ask about it tomorrow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Akul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-l29HlKkXU
Launch cinematic is out, looks great
That Black Blood from W1 finally with a good use

I like how the song starts off sounding like it's about someone up all night afraid of "ghouls and wraiths" and ends up being about a even scarier thing (a witcher).

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've actually edited my post because I really shouldn't speculate on where he got it from, for all I know he's got a buddy in the UAE

Removed it from my quote block.

In the arabic version she's not allowed to put her hair up, which honestly, baffles me as it goes against everything I thought I knew about arab custom

I'll ask about it tomorrow.

Yeah, I thought hair always had to be covered. But I think the laws vary pretty widely depending on the specific country/flavor of Islam?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Gamespot showing the Xbone version...

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/now-playing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/2300-6424837/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Archimago posted:

Removed it from my quote block.

Yeah, I thought hair always had to be covered. But I think the laws vary pretty widely depending on the specific country/flavor of Islam?

They have a pretty wide variety of laws and in a number of arab countries we're *probably* only available on the black market anyway. It's really more about arab culture than islamic law, I'm pretty sure.in most islamic countries they will be playing in english.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I hope one of the bugs in this game has everyone walking around without pants on again

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

slev posted:

I hope one of the bugs in this game has everyone walking around without pants on again

Doesn't require a bug, it's a feature this time. One of the bandit models walks around full on naked except for some burlap underwear and tattoos.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It was a feature last time. :colbert:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Kotaku did a beginner's guide to the world of the Witcher. I haven't read the whole thing yet but the one they did for DA:I was pretty good and if nothing else it'll probably be a good reminder of things if you haven't (re)played Witcher 2 recently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do the controls work better than in the second game?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

VDay posted:

Kotaku did a beginner's guide to the world of the Witcher. I haven't read the whole thing yet but the one they did for DA:I was pretty good and if nothing else it'll probably be a good reminder of things if you haven't (re)played Witcher 2 recently.

Would recommend, I'm pretty up on the witcher world I would say but it still refreshed me on a lot of things. Perhaps the least garbo Kotaku article in recent memory.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Do the controls work better than in the second game?

Controls worked pretty well in the second game, not sure what you mean.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

GrossMurpel posted:

Where in the books do they talk about the plague? And where are you taking the dates from?

There are a few timelines floating around, I was using the one listed on the wiki which I'm assuming is pulled from Andrzej Sapkowski's website. The games drop a few dates as well. It's mentioned in A Question of Price in The Last Wish when someone is telling The Witcher universe's version of Rumpelstiltskin. And it's in Baptism of Fire they encounter a village with the plague, looking back at it that was black smallpox and not the bubonic. I'm guessing their plague was always black smallpox until Ciri came along and hosed it all up.

E: Dudu is in the game. NICE.

Salsa McManus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 14, 2015

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010
Will this game have a benchmarking tool?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

VDay posted:

And now I no longer feel like making a recap video. Pretty good read and yeah, I seriously doubt much if any of the first game will matter in The Wild Hunt.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Archimago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

Dev Interview. They have a Collector's Edition box on the table--it's loving huge.

Woooo, yet another spectacularly sexy-good collectors edition from CDPR. Purchase justified!

I can only imagine how loving awesome the Cyberpunk one will be when it comes out.

Also, the Night To Remember vid was fantastic. I'm having beer goggle flashbacks though, I think I dated her once.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Drifter posted:

Controls worked pretty well in the second game, not sure what you mean.

It felt stiff and generally overly complicated.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hm. I disagree.

What was over complicated?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

black.lion posted:

What was over complicated?

Maybe he means four attack buttons and physical weight on movement?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Controls are much improved, yes.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

that launch trailer thing, besides being a cool callback to the princess adda cinematic in the first game, gives me hope there's more of the old monster hunting from 1 in this than there was in 2. That was always my favourite part, running around the medieval-ish towns hunting vampires and what not.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
In anticipation of this game, I loaded up the copy of Witcher 2 I never played more than once. Last time I tried, I skipped the tutorial, then died on the first couple encounters a dozen times. This time? I skipped the tutorial then died on the first couple encounters a dozen times.

I think I'm going to go through that tutorial now.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 15, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It'll still likely happen for an hour or two. I beat the game and last night the prologue killed me a few times because I forgot how fragile you start and how "committal" the combat is. You click and you're locked into swinging. Sometimes. I now see why people were complaining about clicking and hoping Geralt would attack, sometimes he just doesn't feel like it. Somehow I never noticed my first playthrough.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Controls are much improved, yes.

Comte, do you know if the PC version has the option to change the controller button prompts to the DS4 format?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It'll still likely happen for an hour or two. I beat the game and last night the prologue killed me a few times because I forgot how fragile you start and how "committal" the combat is. You click and you're locked into swinging. Sometimes. I now see why people were complaining about clicking and hoping Geralt would attack, sometimes he just doesn't feel like it. Somehow I never noticed my first playthrough.

The hardest thing for me was getting over the urge to button mash.

Choose attack -> hit button -> recover -> repeat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Confirmed my pre-order today with my whopping 10% psn discount, as my local store is not doing an early release this time. I am so glad the pre-order is loading now, to give my dinosaur-like internet a chance to download. I did not get the expansion pass because I dream that by the time the all-dlc edition of the game comes out I will have a PC capable of running it. Also to make sure I actually like it but you know...I don't think I'm that guy.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

The combat system for this game looks extremely bad.

e- Well it just reminds me a lot of those assassin's creed games. In those games you could just button mash your way out of everything.

Vorik fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ If you say something like that you gotta elaborate dude.

Airfoil posted:

Yeah it's a lot like Souls games in that aspect.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Airfoil posted:

At the beginning, yeah, but as time goes on geralt becomes considerably less fragile. Of course, I have never played anything above normal difficulty.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Should I play the second game? I have it lurking on my hard drive and have only played the first section which ends(???) in a fight with you against some knight or captain or something. I played the first and got bored in the city area and stopped playing it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

Should I play the second game? I have it lurking on my hard drive and have only played the first section which ends(???) in a fight with you against some knight or captain or something. I played the first and got bored in the city area and stopped playing it.

It's really good but if you don't like them then don't play them?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Some of Geralt 's armor sets are a jinglebell hat away from being a jester

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Some of Geralt 's armor sets are a jinglebell hat away from being a jester

That would make for an awesome DLC outfit.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

redreader posted:

You could always just throw it on easy and blast through it to get the story.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Poetic Justice posted:

You could always just throw it on easy and blast through it to get the story.

Yeah, if the combat's eating you alive just do this and have fun with it rather than tearing your hair out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CitrusFrog posted:

That would make for an awesome DLC outfit.

gently caress yeah I literally just thought of that and came here to post it.
Make it so CDPR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRDsMwS4Vs

Time lapse video of a dude standing on a mountain. Dem clouds, man.

• Locked thread