Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MindSet posted:

is it better than Rome 2 because I got burned by that and I'm not sure I want to get Atilla yet

I didn't play Rome 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Should I play victoria 2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jackie D posted:

Should I play victoria 2

People say its a good game but as far as I can tell it's an old-paradox style jumble of incomprehensible mechanics, so uh, maybe?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jackie D posted:

Should I play victoria 2

it's definitely a harder learning curve than ck2 or euIV, but it's more about figuring out the backwards rear end ui than anything else. once you're over the hump it's p fuckin rad though, the only paradox game to make internal development A Thing and also Fun, and the global scene tends to stay pretty dynamic all the way through (unlike euiv where immovable blobs naturally metastasize in the mid to lategame).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

People say its a good game but as far as I can tell it's an old-paradox style jumble of incomprehensible mechanics, so uh, maybe?

*picks up a chair and tosses it into the wall* loving NOOBS!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
vicky is very flawed but still worth playing, imho.

don't play a tiny garbage nation on your first game, and probably don't play the usa, since I hear they get spammed with annoying garbage events.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I think Japan is the best beginner game even though they have to Westernize. It's easy though. Especially since you get research points for conquest. Try to grab Johore before Brits get too friendly with them (gold mines) and try to get Korea before you westernize so that it becomes full states that you can build industry in. Japan has high enough base literacy that a bunch of illiterate Koreans and Malays aren't gonna hurt you too much

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Prussia and crap probably are not good noob games just because as Prussia/Germany you'll probably have to fight like a 3 front war if you play aggressive enough. Russia is kind of fun. I liked going commie and then enforcing commie on all my neighbors.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

brazil is the classic v2 noobie game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite thing from V2 is that countries names change based on ideology or whatever. It's a small thing but it's cool to me.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Fuligin posted:

brazil is the classic v2 noobie game

All of South America is a snooze fest to me.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I need Victoria 3 really bad. Ideally with something to replace the retarded market system where higher prestige countries get first dibs on goods.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Larry Parrish posted:

My favorite thing from V2 is that countries names change based on ideology or whatever. It's a small thing but it's cool to me.

Also flags. And country colors for some (like red communist Russia, green monarchist Russia).

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Figuring out what bad rear end communist and fascist flags to use for the country is the best part of modding Vicky 2

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Check out the Babylon fascist flag

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a badass flag, IMO.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

POPs Ftw.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

vicky 2 is hella flawed but worth a shot just to experience it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Czechoslovakia makes a good trial by fire beginners game once you got the ui down. Start as Austria, release it, and now your a small, densely populated country with good resources, no navy to waste rp on, and stuck in between 3 great powers. :getin:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Babylonian tiamat flag ftw

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Thank you for your input, I'm going to play it

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Cool non-retarded and gamey way of gaining imperial authority

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Cool non-retarded and gamey way of gaining imperial authority

Don't sign your posts.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
When the new EU4 expo comes out I'm gonna play. After they patch the initial bugs, of course.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've been feeling like some ck2 lately. Might try the old Roman republic game. *looks out onto the horizon* My white whale....

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've been feeling like some ck2 lately. Might try the old Roman republic game. *looks out onto the horizon* My white whale....

I think the latest expansion I have is the one that allows start date 864 or something. I started a game as western Francia, and soon after a few lucky successions I controlled pretty everything north of spainlands and half of what hasn't become Holy Roman Empire yet. Then I got a casus belli for Italy and everything just kept on steamrolling. Soon I was diddling around in the Byzantine Empire. I found the new Roman empire in a bit over 100 years from game start and controlled pretty much everything around the mediterranean. Only pagans and Britain avoid my wrath.

It's been the only game where I've gotten really lucky with succession and casus bellis and boy it shows. I don't know what to do now that I have literally no threats (within or without). I can make Rome my capital and restore papacy in rome, in addition to having some odd casus bellis about restoring Rome's borders, but other than that, is there anything to do except wait for (and crush) the mongols?

E: and the Aztecs lol.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 17, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SnowblindFatal posted:

I think the latest expansion I have is the one that allows start date 864 or something. I started a game as western Francia, and soon after a few lucky successions I controlled pretty everything north of spainlands and half of what hasn't become Holy Roman Empire yet. Then I got a casus belli for Italy and everything just kept on steamrolling. Soon I was diddling around in the Byzantine Empire. I found the new Roman empire in a bit over 100 years from game start and controlled pretty much everything around the mediterranean. Only pagans and Britain avoid my wrath.

It's been the only game where I've gotten really lucky with succession and casus bellis and boy it shows. I don't know what to do now that I have literally no threats (within or without). I can make Rome my capital and restore papacy in rome, in addition to having some odd casus bellis about restoring Rome's borders, but other than that, is there anything to do except wait for (and crush) the mongols?

E: and the Aztecs lol.

I've done SPQR before. I want to like start as amalfi and usurp the byz crown and turn it into a merchant republic. Every time I try I get bored when my first claim fails or I can't get a claim etc.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've done SPQR before. I want to like start as amalfi and usurp the byz crown and turn it into a merchant republic. Every time I try I get bored when my first claim fails or I can't get a claim etc.

What's SPQR and how do you turn a feudal kingdom into a republic?

Also how do you make unhappy republic counties/duchies feudal?

I'm basically a self-learned CK 2 noob but I'm doing well so what the hell.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
As a republic, any tittle you take will be republican.

And don't turn vassal republics into feudal a. They're easy to manage and build your economy by making trade posts around the oceans. You can take the whole Indian coast from an Egyptian republic, for instance

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 18, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone else doing a Gothic run

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
been thinking about it, but I might wait to start my next run until the next patch comes out.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've been doing it and its really tough. You need like a 1 in 20 lucky start and then its still pretty rough expanding. Horde land sucks. I got lucky and the PU with poland never fired so lituania was easy pickings with Russia.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

whoooa momma

Placate Local Rulers
This can be done on both vassals and marches, and lets you pay prestige (if you have positive prestige), to reduce the liberty desire of that subject by 10%.

Embargo Rivals
This is a toggle you can put on any subject. If it is on they will embargo all your rivals as quickly as their diplomats can travel. However, this increases their liberty desire by 5% while active.

Place Relative on Throne
This can only be done on vassals, and only when they have a regency. You can replace the regency with a ruler from your own dynasty.

Enforce Religion
This can only be done on vassals, unions and marches. This is possible if the subject is in your religious group, have less than 50% of Liberty Desire, and you have positive relations. Of course, this increases Liberty Desire by 50%, so its something you have to evaluate when it is desirable to do.

Scutage
This is a toggle that can be set to on or off on a vassal. When it is on, they will not be called into wars, unless declared war upon. However, they will provide 50% more of its income to you.

Subsidize Armies
This is a toggle in marches, where if on, you will send up to 10% of your manpower to them each month, to fill up their manpower pool.

Fortify March
This allows you to build or upgrade a fort in a march, where you as overlord fronts the build costs.

Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Siphon Income
Unions usually do not provide money to their overlord, but history is full of rulers who took from one part of their realm to provide for another. This action lets you take 50% of a lesser union partners yearly income if you have positive relations. It will increase liberty desire by 10% but also reduce relations rather dramatically.

Support Loyalists
Unions don’t have any local ruler that needs to be placated, so instead you have a toggle where you spend 10% of their monthly income each month, while reducing liberty desire by 20% as long as its active.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ohhh poo poo wonder how that will work on an aztec game. Really makes vassal heavy easy modo more challnging.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

man i didn't think the next dlc would be near as substantial as Art of War but all this has kind of blown me away

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently trade companies, colonial nations, and protectorates are also going to have unique interactions...

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This expansion really is EU5, god drat

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm gonna hold off playing any more EU4 till this shiznit comes the f out

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
do imp mapgamers have a country they always play on the release of every new expansion? mines byz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Brandenburg/Prussia.