Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

How is he not better prepared for this topic?

It's almost like his foreign policy advisor was W....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Wheeee posted:

I get the impression that beneath the aristocratic upbringing and education that Jeb is even dumber than Walker.

Literally impossible.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm just sorta marveling that Jeb was apparently blindsided by perhaps the most obvious question imaginable. You'd think he would have a had a drilled response to this from about the time he first thought he might take a stab at elected offices again.

What is going to happen to this guy when people really start digging at him?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

How is he not better prepared for this topic?

It's almost like his foreign policy advisor was W....

I bet they don't even talk about that "old poo poo," and probably just talk about who to butter up for the most dosh and what books they've been readin'

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Voyager I posted:

I'm just sorta marveling that Jeb was apparently blindsided by perhaps the most obvious question imaginable. You'd think he would have a had a drilled response to this from about the time he first thought he might take a stab at elected offices again.

What is going to happen to this guy when people really start digging at him?

Republicans must be crossing their fingers for some kind of comparable (Benghazi) question to hit Hillary with similar results.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nonsense posted:

I bet they don't even talk about that "old poo poo," and probably just talk about who to butter up for the most dosh and what books they've been readin'

I'm sure most foreign policy conversation in that group is which middle eastern country to invade this time, and how to justify it. ISIS totally puts Iraq on the table.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

This man wants to be President and can't even stand up to his own brother.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeb Bush thinks that fourth time is the charm with Iraq:

So, if I understand this right, invading Iraq was a mistake, but re-invading Iraq is the correct way forward?

So it turns out W. was the smart one, and JEB really is GOB to his Micheal Bluth.

Honestly didn't see that coming. Maybe he should arrive at all his campaign appearances on a Segway labeled "PRESIDENT", accompanied by "The Final Countdown" as his official theme song.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deep Hurting posted:

Honestly didn't see that coming. Maybe he should arrive at all his campaign appearances on a Segway labeled "PRESIDENT", accompanied by "The Final Countdown" as his official theme song.

George I'm not a politician...I'm a Statesman!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A politicians is something a whore does for money.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cruz Cruz Cruz

“We are seeing today profound threats to religious liberty in America, I think the greatest threats we’ve ever seen,” Cruz told conservative author and talk radio host Eric Metaxas.

Cruz said that the fights over “religious freedom” laws in Indiana and Arkansas were “heartbreaking” examples of how the Democratic Party has “gotten so extreme and so radical in its devotion to mandatory gay marriage that they’ve decided there’s no room for the religious liberty protected under the First Amendment.”

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Nobody really believed the republicans when they said that gay marriages would become mandatory and yet here we are.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeb Bush thinks that fourth time is the charm with Iraq:

So, if I understand this right, invading Iraq was a mistake, but re-invading Iraq is the correct way forward?

ISIS has been stopped in its tracks by US air power. The Kurds put up a good fight, but without air strikes, they were being defeated until the US and allies stepped in. US troops will probably be needed to retake Mosul, as the Kurds aren't interested in the job, and the Iraqi military is probably not able to do the job.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can someone give me a reason to not fear a Marco Rubio candidacy? Initially I dismissed him out of hand because he committed the cardinal sin of not being old and white, but he's actually managed to run a campaign so far not riddled with mistakes and other than inexperience he has no obvious flaws.

Am I the only one who's worried that the racists will vote for him in an attempt to prove they're not racists, the business wing will love him, and the evangelicals will bend over and take it because he's not a filthy Demoncrat lieberal?

I'm sure that I'm missing something that makes him just another member of the clown show, but other than the water bottle incident I'm having trouble.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

Nobody really believed the republicans when they said that gay marriages would become mandatory and yet here we are.

With democrats, it used to be, "im gay"

Now it's, "your gay"

Vote Cruz. Save America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alter Ego posted:

Can someone give me a reason to not fear a Marco Rubio candidacy? Initially I dismissed him out of hand because he committed the cardinal sin of not being old and white, but he's actually managed to run a campaign so far not riddled with mistakes and other than inexperience he has no obvious flaws.

Am I the only one who's worried that the racists will vote for him in an attempt to prove they're not racists, the business wing will love him, and the evangelicals will bend over and take it because he's not a filthy Demoncrat lieberal?

I'm sure that I'm missing something that makes him just another member of the clown show, but other than the water bottle incident I'm having trouble.

The only reason he's polling well is that he hasn't been in the spotlight. He's not nearly the inevitable option that Mitt Romney was in 2012.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

The election isn't for like a loving year and a half. Literally nothing has happened yet. It's too early to know anything.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

The only reason he's polling well is that he hasn't been in the spotlight. He's not nearly the inevitable option that Mitt Romney was in 2012.

Well, no, obviously, because Bush and Walker are in the field and gunning for the same voters.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Given that the establishment plays a much bigger role in selecting candidates than the evangelical base (although it's sure loud and consistent in picking losers) I think Rubio is by far the most threatening candidate.

His biggest card is his youth, and I feel that plays very well against Hillary and her looking forward campaign. It's possible his positions on foreign policy isn't up to snuff, and I guess he has little legislative experience. Both of those things are outweighed by him being a competent Hispanic candidate in an election that will hinge on Latino turnout (for the Dems, in terms of recreating the Obama coalition).

I agree that it's incredibly early to predict anything. For example, Rubio could turn out to have cripppling dehydration issues during the debates.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

computer parts posted:

George I'm not a politician...I'm a Statesman!

taqueso posted:

A politicians is something a whore does for money.

"Yeah, like the guy with the $1100 Apple Watch needs Obamacare... COME ON!"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

I remember fantasy too.

So then everybody said "Fair enough Mr President, we'll say no more about it then. Certainly no need for a massive congressional investigation leading to the criminal indictment of half your senior cabinet".

Scot free!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Series DD Funding posted:

"The FEC" has not said that, a democratic member has. And the FEC's weekly reports of completed enforcement actions indicate otherwise.

"A Democratic member" who also happens to be the chairwoman of the commission. It's obvious enough to anyone watching that avoiding PAC coordination is a wink wink, nudge nudge situation, who do you think you're kidding?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deptfordx posted:

So then everybody said "Fair enough Mr President, we'll say no more about it then. Certainly no need for a massive congressional investigation leading to the criminal indictment of half your senior cabinet".

Scot free!

Teflon President. :smug:

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

An Apple a day keeps the doctor away.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

With democrats, it used to be, "im gay"

Now it's, "your gay"

Vote Cruz. Save America.

My gay!!!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Parachute posted:

Republicans must be crossing their fingers for some kind of comparable (Benghazi) question to hit Hillary with similar results.

How Hillary Clinton handles her Iraq War vote will matter a lot if she wants to hit JEB on that issue, but all his flip-flopping will help her considerably since it'll be easier to redirect questions to how much of a hash the Bush family has made of Iraq. Hell, him saying America needs to re-invade Iraq fits well with accusations that electing Bush will lead to another American military adventure in the Middle East, like his brother and his father before him.

What is with the Bush family and Iraq? The Middle East is a big place but they and their friends just keep going back to Iraq.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"A Democratic member" who also happens to be the chairwoman of the commission. It's obvious enough to anyone watching that avoiding PAC coordination is a wink wink, nudge nudge situation, who do you think you're kidding?

Can you explain the motive and rationale behind the coordination rules, and how the PACs are evading them?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Series DD Funding posted:

Can you explain the motive and rationale behind the coordination rules, and how the PACs are evading them?

The laws are in place so that campaigns and donors can't avoid contribution limits by just funneling spending through PACs. Perhaps you've been out of the country for the last few years or just not paying attention and need to catch up, but the idea that these laws are being followed beyond a thin veneer of plausible deniability is laughable.

e: Here's some documentation from the FEC if you'd like some background: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jeb Bush is coming across as a lazy candidate. As if his approach were that none of this matters until he officially announces and he can phone it in until then. Even retaining all the major neocon Iraq players from his brother's administration seems lazy. Yes, each party has a somewhat limited talent pool, but it shouldn't be impossible to avoid having Wolfowitz and the most recognizable names anywhere near his candidacy.

In other news, the sky, she is falling!

quote:

Hillary Clinton trails a generic Republican presidential candidate by double digits among voters in six important battleground states, according to a new poll from the GOP firm Vox Populi.

The survey, conducted on behalf of the conservative super-PAC American Crossroads, found an unnamed GOP candidate taking 51 percent support among voters in Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio and Virginia.

Clinton takes only 41 percent support among voters in those states, according to the poll.

The survey found Clinton’s favorability rating deep underwater, with 40 percent reporting a positive view of the former secretary of State against 53 percent who said they view her negatively.

In addition, 52 percent of voters in the battleground states said they don’t trust Clinton, and the same percentage said they don’t share her values.

Fifty-eight percent said they agree with the notion that Clinton will “say or do anything” to get elected president, while only 35 percent said they disagree.

"This poll shows that the Clinton campaign’s 'Hide Hillary' strategy isn’t working and may in fact be backfiring,” American Crossroads President and CEO Steven Law said in a statement.

“Clearly the conflicts and ethical concerns raised by the Clinton Foundation morass are real to voters and her failure to address them is negatively affecting how voters feel about Hillary.”

Voters were split on whether Clinton “represents the past, not the future,” with 42 percent saying they agree and 42 percent saying they disagree. A majority of voters, 52 percent, said the prospect of casting a historic vote for the first-ever woman president would not influence their decision in 2016.

The Vox Populi poll of 1,698 active voters in Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio and Virginia was conducted between May 7 and 9 and has a 2.4 percentage point margin of error. Twenty-seven percent of voters polled identified as Democrats, 30 percent as Republicans and 32 percent as independents.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Are they saying that Republicans have the party ID advantage? If so, lol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Any situation which ends in "Florida Man Elected as POTUS" is bad, and the GOP has two such Florida Men in their lineup.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^^If they don't already, I'm sure the Onion is working on some prime "Florida Man Found Running Presidential Campaign" material.

Zoran posted:

I remember the bang-up job Karl Rove did in 2012 predicting the race, I'm sure we can trust his PAC's (properly unskewed) poll numbers this time around! I mean, it's not like him to do math as a Republican to make himself feel better.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ha ha ha, very good!

I want somebody to pin this fucker to a wall with their questioning.

That will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ha ha ha, very good!

It's good and cool that he had a realistic chance of leading the world's largest economy! Haha!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Are you as excited as Marco is to be an American?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAG-c8cEk0w

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"We won't need health care or even doctors once we all own Dr. iWatch"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hillary wants justices who will overturn Citizens United

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zoran posted:

Amongst Republicans picked by a Republican polling firm for a Republican think tank, yeah.

B-b-but she once got fooled into voting for a WAR!

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 15, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Jeb Bush is coming across as a lazy candidate. As if his approach were that none of this matters until he officially announces and he can phone it in until then. Even retaining all the major neocon Iraq players from his brother's administration seems lazy. Yes, each party has a somewhat limited talent pool, but it shouldn't be impossible to avoid having Wolfowitz and the most recognizable names anywhere near his candidacy.

In other news, the sky, she is falling!

1700 people across six states. gently caress it, pack it in.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's downright leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012
Possibly your only chance to vote for Herman Cain this election cycle! https://www.gop.com/presidential-straw-poll

• Locked thread