Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Howdy folks. I have a pretty broad question, but I'll try to centralize it:

Are there any good, cheap ($500 or less) lenses for the Canon 5D MK3? Just like, whatever is surprisingly good, a workhorse, sharp, etc in that price range that you think most folks ought to own or know about.

And in general, good photographic accessories? Lens wipes? Light stands? Reflectors? Soft boxes? What's good to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

edit: oops, got a 502 into accidental double post.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

40mm pancake and a decent tripod

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

40, probably that new 50, 85.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any good, cheap ($500 or less) lenses for the Canon 5D MK3? Just like, whatever is surprisingly good, a workhorse, sharp, etc in that price range that you think most folks ought to own or know about.

And in general, good photographic accessories? Lens wipes? Light stands? Reflectors? Soft boxes? What's good to get?

+1 for the 40mm pancake (cheap @ 150$). Or if you want something a little faster (with IS), the 35/2 IS an excellent all arounder as well (but slightly more than your budget @ 550$ new)

The 85/1.8 is also an excellent little prime for 350$

The 40 & 85 together are in your budget which would be a nice combo

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As far as accessories go, most of what you listed is specific to studio/indoors photography. If you're going that direction, then yeah, lightstands and umbrellas are probably great to have. Lens wipes are useless, but a tripod is going to be useful pretty much everywhere.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What about the Yongnuo 35mm f2?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with any 1.8 or f/2 lens they make, and you can find umbrellas and stands for cheap on ebay/CL. a 35mm & 85mm combo is a great starter.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I held off on ordering the 24-105L because I already own the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I'm happy with my decision and now I'm trying to decide between the 40mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Muttonchips posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I held off on ordering the 24-105L because I already own the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I'm happy with my decision and now I'm trying to decide between the 40mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4.

Don't buy the Canon 50 1.4 right now. There's a new STM driven 1.8 coming out end of May, which while it doesn't have an updated optical formula, should still out perform the 1.4 handily

The optical formula is the same, but it's getting modern not-crap coatings, and the STM motor ought to make the AF a lot more accurate. The current 1.8 and 1.4 have very poor focus consistency. Wait for reviews on the new 1.8

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

Don't buy the Canon 50 1.4 right now. There's a new STM driven 1.8 coming out end of May, which while it doesn't have an updated optical formula, should still out perform the 1.4 handily

The optical formula is the same, but it's getting modern not-crap coatings, and the STM motor ought to make the AF a lot more accurate. The current 1.8 and 1.4 have very poor focus consistency. Wait for reviews on the new 1.8

seven-blade aperture for the new Nifty Fifty too, versus the five-blade one on the old model. Should produce much rounder bokeh versus the old model. the STM will also not make it sound like a bag of bees as well.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Is the weather-sealing on the Pentax cameras worth a poo poo? I was going to get a D7100 off Keh to finally upgrade from my film X-700, but the Pentax K-3 (and the upcoming K-3 ii) looks kinda interesting, since it rains here all the time. Any other reasons to go with one brand over the other? All my current lenses are old and beaten up and I doubt they'd be worth using on a newer camera, so it's not like I'm attached to one particular brand.

Fats fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 13, 2015

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Looking to get a lens for my Canon to replace an 18-55mm which broke recently. I'm looking to replace it with something good for product photography (I need to take close up photos of boxes and products ranging from cellphone to blender sized) and have a budget of up to $200 for a lens. Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm shooting with a Rebel XT.

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 13, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fats posted:

Is the weather-sealing on the Pentax cameras worth a poo poo? I was going to get a D7100 off Keh to finally upgrade from my film X-700, but the Pentax K-3 (and the upcoming K-3 ii) looks kinda interesting, since it rains here all the time. Any other reasons to go with one brand over the other? All my current lenses are old and beaten up and I doubt they'd be worth using on a newer camera, so it's not like I'm attached to one particular brand.

I'm happy with it. I don't have any weather-sealed lenses (yet), but I've used my K10D and my K-5 under all sorts of lovely conditions, without any problems from either body. There are stories floating around - some well-verified - of people subjecting their Pentax DSLRs to all manner of abuse and still shooting strong. A month or two after the K-5 first came out a US soldier in Afghanistan buried his - with the 18-300mm WR lens mounted - in some sand in the desert, waited a day, dug it back up and shot with it; no problem. I've also seen accounts of people taking various WR bodies-and-lenses into caves, to festivals, into jungles, etc. etc. Personally I've shot at -30 C and colder and the only effect I've noticed is dramatically reduced battery life, but that's common to all electronics in Canadian winter conditions.

Here's one I took pointed up through the spray coming off a waterfall, on my K10D with kit (non-WR) zoom.
SD 115 Four Waterfalls 61 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I think people in general are paranoid and excessively cautious with both consumer electronics and objects made of glass, which obviously come together in a camera. You can wipe the snow off the viewfinder with your sweater and keep shooting, regardless of camera, and a camera protected inside a Pelican case isn't taking any pictures.

Also, I learned to shoot on a Minolta X-700 and I love it still. Get some film and keep shooting that thing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fats posted:

Also consider an Olympus em5 + the 12;50 kit lens. Crazy good weather sealing for not that much.

I spent an hour in pouring rain with my Olympus today, its great.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Fats posted:

I have a k5-iis that I took out in a massive blizzard, had a wr lens (18-135) on it and had no problems. Have had it in light rain as well. I have a k3-ii on pre-order so the k5 can go on backup/concert duty but I'd have no qualms taking it just about anywhere and everywhere.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does that weather sealing compare to that of Canon or Nikon? I always see people talking about how well sealed Olympus/Pentax are, but I'm curious as to how different it is. I had my D800 out doing a time lapse video for 3-4 hours on a tall bridge in a driving rainstorm and it was fine. Ever few minutes I'd had to sop water out of the 14-24's hood or it'd pool enough to affect the shot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Canon or nikon are probably good enough for most things. All I know is that I have no fear about doing stuff like this:

btw, snow drifts make terrible tripods for timelapses or very long exposures, it just melts too fast to be stable :geno:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Oh yay another opportunity for this: http://youtu.be/RCT-YMgjm9k

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Olympus actually rates their interchangeable lens cameras to an IPX rating, which no other manufacturer does.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone know of a grip to use on a Profoto ringflash bracket? There's a screw hole in the bottom that I want to mount a vertical grip on, and I've tried to cheap out by using a angle grinder side grip but apparently it's a different thread pitch. The brass '5/8 inch' Manfrotto umbrella spigots fit just fine though.

I was thinking about going with one of these cell phone/gopro handles, but they don't look heavy duty enough; I'm planning to put a ringflash with a reflector and possibly an MF camera on there.

I need like a heavy duty camera pistol grip in manfrotto 5/8 or whatever weird Euro thread size Profoto uses.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I saw the 24-70 f/2.8 VC Tamron lens on Rakuten for less than $900.

Should I be wary of that, or is it pretty reputable?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

tijag posted:

I saw the 24-70 f/2.8 VC Tamron lens on Rakuten for less than $900.

Should I be wary of that, or is it pretty reputable?

Tamron USA (not sure about other countries) -will not- service gray market equipment, even for $$. It's not just a refusal to honor grey market warranties - they will not fix it at all. So if you purchase gray market equipment from them, either be prepared to send it to the country it came from for repair, or get a warranty from a third party company to make sure you have someone who will fix it for you.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

Does anyone know of a grip to use on a Profoto ringflash bracket?

The camera it's attached to?

If you're trying to use it without a camera, the screw on a standard 5/8" spigot is 1/4"-20.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Got my tax return and I want to put some of it towards ND filters. Specifically, I've been looking at Lee filters for a while, but I want to double check here before I purchase anything.

Want to get the Little Stopper (6 stops) and possibly a grad ND and/or a hard grad. I need the foundation kit too obviously. And adapter rings.

The Foundation Kit is listed here and here. Why the $100 price difference?

I've got the fuji x-mount 18-55mm kit lens and a nikon 35mm f/2 lens that I use most often, so I need 58mm and 52mm adapter rings?

Should I get the Seven5 starter kit instead?

Last question. The W/A adapter rings are about 50% more expensive. Should I get the W/A versions or just not worry about it?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
With those lenses, I think you should go with the Seven5 instead of the full size (100mm) system, especially if you want to use GNDs. I've read that with the 100mm soft GNDs, the gradation zone is a bit large to use with the smaller mirrorless lenses (like the 18-55). The downside of the Seven5 is it won't fit the 16-55mm f/2.8 (77mm filter thread) and will vignette on the 10-24mm f/4 when wider than 13mm (see this).

I think could get by with only a 58mm adapter if you also bought a 52-58mm step up ring (significantly cheaper than the Lee adapters).

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Hm, I was planning on getting the 10-24 eventually, but that's probably a year or two or more from now. At least I'd be able to use the little/big stopper if I do end up getting the foundation kit later, right?

The 52-58 thing is a good idea, saves me like a hundred dollars.

Seven5 it is!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm in the same boat: I currently only have lenses that are perfect for the Seven5, but do eventually want to get a 10-24. I decided to go with the Seven5 for now and then reevaluate if/when I get the 10-24. I want to avoid the extra bulk of the 100mm system if possible, so I'll try to make the Seven5 work with the 10-24 before going bigger. The Seven5 with the 10-24 actually doesn't seem all that bad when not using the Lee polarizer (only vignetting wider than 12mm and even then, only a sliver on each side) and may even be non-issue when using a single slot filter holder (the tests on the page I linked all use a 2 slot filter holder).

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Good information, thanks. There was so much information out there and without being able to test/handle it myself, I was just pretty hesitant and confused on what to go for.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's the best wide angle lens comparable with a Canon T1i for $250 or under used?

EDIT - I'm looking something that's around 17-55mm.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 21, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the best wide angle lens comparable with a Canon T1i for $250 or under used?

10-18 IS STM is 250$ brand spanking new

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

10-18 IS STM is 250$ brand spanking new

Edited my post. Sorry.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Edited my post. Sorry.

you are looking for the much loved non-VR Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 in that case

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

you are looking for the much loved non-VR Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 in that case

Is this the one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMRON-...=item4d14319c0e

It says the warranty card is only valid in Japan. Does that mean I have to call Japanese Tamron if something happens to the lens?

EDIT-Does it matter if it says "Canon" or "Nikon" or whatever? Is it all compatible with everything?

Should I get this used one instead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-A016-17-50mm-F-2-8-Di-II-XR-AF-IF-Lens-For-Canon-/281697378644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419678e154

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 21, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this the one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMRON-...=item4d14319c0e

It says the warranty card is only valid in Japan. Does that mean I have to call Japanese Tamron if something happens to the lens?

EDIT-Does it matter if it says "Canon" or "Nikon" or whatever? Is it all compatible with everything?

Should I get this used one instead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-A016-17-50mm-F-2-8-Di-II-XR-AF-IF-Lens-For-Canon-/281697378644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419678e154

Mount matters (Canon, Nikon, etc) - that is the lens though.

Grey market tamron is a tough call - tamron usa *WILL NOT* service grey market products, warranty or no. you can't pay them, they just won't take it. so any repairs would have to go back to the home country.

Here it is on KEH, which is generally regarded as a good safe way to buy used gear

https://www.keh.com/283806/tamron-17-50mm-f-2-8-aspherical-di-ii-sp-if-ld-xr-ef-mount-lens-for-canon-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-67

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I'll go with this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-A016-17-50mm-F-2-8-Di-II-XR-AF-IF-Lens-For-Canon-/281697378644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419678e154

Good choice?

I was going to get the $278 one from KEH but it doesn't seem to come with the cap and hood.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Seller looks reputable by feedback. Lens looks dusty but not scratched up

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

Seller looks reputable by feedback. Lens looks dusty but not scratched up

So I can just clean the lens and be fine? I don't have to take anything apart do I?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I can just clean the lens and be fine? I don't have to take anything apart do I?

It looks mostly external but you'd have to ask the seller to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm not sure if this even exists.

I have a small little photo studio in my apartment, and to save time/ be more versatile, I want to use a support system similar to this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45652-REG/Savage_63151_Multiple_Polevault_System.html

But I don't want to buy the entire system, just the part that would (I'm assuming) attach itself to the top of my existing system.

So basically: Do they sell a part that attaches to the top of background stands that enables you to use more than one backdrop at a time without buying an entirely new system?