Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

We could try and pick a NSDM game and make that the Goon game. It would either go wonderfully or terribly.
Pick one. Make it happen. Though not on Saturday night if there is one then, everyone needs to attend T.O.V.A. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll check the list tonight when I get home to pick an event. As for drinking I plan to never have an empty flask on hand :shrug:

Edit: Things came up and I won't see a computer until tomorrow. I'll check the event list in the morning though.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 14, 2015

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Trynant posted:

My plan is to drag my board games around and randomly jack people to play complicated cube-pushers.

I was contemplating the possibility of making an event for one of these said crazy games, but I can' say what I'd really want to commit to making an event out of rather than just keeping around for backup.

Admin iirc you play crazy stuff like Splotter games, Arkwright, etc. right? If you ever want to take a break from touring crazy GenCon stuff for crazy board game plays; I'm planning on bringing suitcases worth of complex games....

I never learn.

Yes, count me in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Conversely, I'm going to fill my bag with lots of small games (Jaipur, Epic Spell Wars, Star Realms etc) and hopefully make lots of friends with quick and simple games. I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey, Gen Con thread! Someone on RPGnet suggested I should write a Breakfast Cult adventure for Games On Demand, but I don't know anything about it except that it's a place where people can join pickup games. Is there anything I need to do besides write the adventure and see if anyone wants to run it? Do I have to ask permission or be ready by a certain date (besides "enough time before Gen Con for a GM to get a copy and prep" or anything?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

LuiCypher posted:

Go and just enjoy! Honestly, the best board game I came across at Gen Con last year was Tragedy Looper. Never heard of it before and it looked like they got some animes in my boardgames, but I was tired of waiting an hour for a Dead of Winter demo and there were two open seats - one for me and one for my now-fiancee.

It just blew me away. Easily the best new boardgame at the con, in my opinion, and I just stumbled across it by luck.

One of my buddies got this game and I thought it was FANTASTIC. It is on my list to try and pick up this year. Also on the recommendation from one of the Goons who I played Avalon with my wife and I demoed Chaosmos and ended up ordering it. That should be arriving in the next month so I will have that to play with you guys.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I read about Tragedy Looper and it sounded neat. Definitely something I want to try this year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double posting but how does Thursday at 8pm sound for that NSDM goon event?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Len posted:

Thursday at 8 sounds good. I'm also putting in for the 12am Saturday one because why not.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Len posted:

I read about Tragedy Looper and it sounded neat. Definitely something I want to try this year.

I've played it a couple of times with my gaming group and it's fantastic. You really need a GM who knows how the game works though to make it fun (and walk you through your first time).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Backno posted:

One of my buddies got this game and I thought it was FANTASTIC. It is on my list to try and pick up this year. Also on the recommendation from one of the Goons who I played Avalon with my wife and I demoed Chaosmos and ended up ordering it. That should be arriving in the next month so I will have that to play with you guys.

I was the Chaosmos goon. I really can't wait for my copy to show up, because it's such a neat game. Tragedy Looper is really cool, too.

If I'm not able to get into this YTCC came on Thursday at 8, I'd be down for a goon raid on NSDM. (Which probably will happen, since I'll likely be away from a computer on Sunday at noon.) Maybe going into it with people I (sort of) know will help me be more interested in it.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

head58 posted:

Thursday at 8 sounds good. I'm also putting in for the 12am Saturday one because why not.

Also in. This sounds awesome and I have no idea how I managed to go two years without doing it.

edit: also, is there a goonrun Dungeon World game this year because I want a piece of that action

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 14, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

saint gerald posted:

Also in. This sounds awesome and I have no idea how I managed to go two years without doing it.

edit: also, is there a goonrun Dungeon World game this year because I want a piece of that action

Yup! - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I haven't registered for Gencon yet this year since my employer hasn't let us bid for vacations yet. If I get approved what is the best way to find someplace to stay?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ettin posted:

Hey, Gen Con thread! Someone on RPGnet suggested I should write a Breakfast Cult adventure for Games On Demand, but I don't know anything about it except that it's a place where people can join pickup games. Is there anything I need to do besides write the adventure and see if anyone wants to run it? Do I have to ask permission or be ready by a certain date (besides "enough time before Gen Con for a GM to get a copy and prep" or anything?
Bu--

bwuhhh...

I suddenly feel like I have attended all these years BUT LEARNED NOTHING

From what I have heard, they are always looking for more people to run more independent games, soooooooo yeah I think you just contact them like HAY RUN GAME OK???

I was reading about their deadlines but the problem is they speak in vague terms like "there is still time to submit!" but there is no way to know if this page has not been updated since last July or what. Though that would suggest they are cool with it up until the convention starts.

WHY ARE YOU NOT RUNNING IT YOURSELF ETTIN

LongDarkNight posted:

I haven't registered for Gencon yet this year since my employer hasn't let us bid for vacations yet. If I get approved what is the best way to find someplace to stay?
If you do not get approved, the proper steps to take are to quit your job and/or find a corrupt doctor to write you a note

Once you are there, well, you can still find a place to stay if you are not set on being connected to the Convention Center. But I am assuming the subtext is that you are, so honestly asking here has seemingly worked a couple of times in the past. If not, you could always risk the official forums. Though some people talked about still finding AirB&B rooms nearby as recently as last month, so...

...rent an Über for the entire time and have the person drive you around while sleeping!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LongDarkNight posted:

Rent a van if you don't have one, get there Tuesday and part in the mall garage before it fills up, and sleep in the van all week.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

Rent a van if you don't have one, get there Tuesday and part in the mall garage before it fills up, and sleep in the van all week.
HOBOCOOOOOON!

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I am heading to gencon for the first time this year and I was wondering how packed I should make my schedule. I want to do some of the all day miniature tournaments and a few other events here and there, but I still have a good two days or so open. Should I go out of my way to sign up for stuff? If I show up with some minis will I be able to find pick up games for stuff like Dropzone Commander or X-Wang outside of the 'official' tournaments?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

General wisdom is that it's best to not overbook your first year. Trust me, there's no lack of things to do on the fly.

If you have a specific thing in mind though, go for it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ZachAttack posted:

I am heading to gencon for the first time this year and I was wondering how packed I should make my schedule. I want to do some of the all day miniature tournaments and a few other events here and there, but I still have a good two days or so open. Should I go out of my way to sign up for stuff? If I show up with some minis will I be able to find pick up games for stuff like Dropzone Commander or X-Wang outside of the 'official' tournaments?

I go with a group and we find it is nice to have some down time in the evenings for fun dining / beers, and by day 3 we are missing morning events due to hangovers.

I don't know how miniatures works for pickup games, there's usually been pickup games available for magic but there's also 8-man tournaments being run constantly that just take generics so I've never really done pickups.

I will say that hauling all your poo poo around goes old fast so I would try to plan for at least one day where you aren't carrying poo poo all over hell and gone.

There's a giant convention hall / room full of people running pickup board games / demos plus there are demos in the vendor area so you can probably fill a full day or two just playing poo poo you didn't bring.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And if you are at all interested in buying things, you can EASILY spend the entirety of one day just wandering the exhibit hall and the Auction Store/hanging out at the Auction for a section you are interested in. In fact my usual pre-Auction-volunteering years I usually spent ~4 hours a day in the exhibit hall alone; it is funny how your inner shopper light gets turned on when literally everything around you is of at least some vague interest, as opposed to the usual mall store where you might see one thing in the entire store that is vaguely appealing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Quarex posted:

Bu--

bwuhhh...

I suddenly feel like I have attended all these years BUT LEARNED NOTHING

From what I have heard, they are always looking for more people to run more independent games, soooooooo yeah I think you just contact them like HAY RUN GAME OK???

I was reading about their deadlines but the problem is they speak in vague terms like "there is still time to submit!" but there is no way to know if this page has not been updated since last July or what. Though that would suggest they are cool with it up until the convention starts.

WHY ARE YOU NOT RUNNING IT YOURSELF ETTIN

I live in Australia and don't attend Gen Con! I'll try and get something out in the next week and post around to see if anyone wants to run it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I need an event recommendation, My friends and I (3 total folks) want to try out an RPG but we're not particulair crazy about the potential of being surrounded by snarling people who think they're goblins. Are there any chill events that would suit some not so immersive looking dudes? We'll try any system.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 15, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Quarex posted:

And if you are at all interested in buying things, you can EASILY spend the entirety of one day just wandering the exhibit hall and the Auction Store/hanging out at the Auction for a section you are interested in. In fact my usual pre-Auction-volunteering years I usually spent ~4 hours a day in the exhibit hall alone; it is funny how your inner shopper light gets turned on when literally everything around you is of at least some vague interest, as opposed to the usual mall store where you might see one thing in the entire store that is vaguely appealing.

Exhibit hall is basically crack and it's hard to not spend some time in it every day

ZachAttack posted:

Don't pack it. First time there's a lot to see and admire and wish you had a lot of dollars to spend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Texibus posted:

I need an event recommendation, My friends and I (3 total folks) want to try out an RPG but we're not particulair crazy about the potential of being surrounded by snarling people who think they're goblins. Are there any chill events that would suit some not so immersive looking dudes? We'll try any system.

I've tried probably a dozen games at Gencon and have never run into that problem. Not saying that isn't a possibility because you know how nerds are.

In my experience of just blindly signing up for systems I want to try over 90% of the players are Cool People who are helpful and welcoming. Sometimes you get an rear end in a top hat who is grumpy they have to explain things to a new guy or the married couple that won't stop making bad jokes. But the majority of the players are nice and helpful.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

You can also just walk away if you start to play something and it turns terrible. I've faked an emergency phone call from my wife many times when it became clear the next 4 hours were going to be insufferable.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

head58 posted:

You can also just walk away if you start to play something and it turns terrible. I've faked an emergency phone call from my wife many times when it became clear the next 4 hours were going to be insufferable.

Yeah, this. Gen Con time is loving expensive once you add up all the costs involved in attending. I have zero compunction in noping out of a game that is going south. I think I've only had to do that once, though.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Texibus posted:

In general, I'd say it is more common to see people be kind of quiet at the start of games rather than being so deeply in character that they have no patience for new people. A lot of people go kinda role-play lite until they are a little more comfortable with the group at that particular table.

Len posted:

I've tried probably a dozen games at Gencon and have never run into that problem. Not saying that isn't a possibility because you know how nerds are.

In my experience of just blindly signing up for systems I want to try over 90% of the players are Cool People who are helpful and welcoming. Sometimes you get an rear end in a top hat who is grumpy they have to explain things to a new guy or the married couple that won't stop making bad jokes. But the majority of the players are nice and helpful.

Pretty much my experience as well.

I have been in three great GenCon games, one good game, and one terrible game.
- In all three great games, everyone was really chill and gave other people a chance to shine and the GM was enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
- The good game was kinda railroady and the GM, while having a good command of the system and adventure, wasn't too responsive to outside the box thinking.
- The bad game involved extensively finishing characters at the table and a GM who let ... 8 I think players sign up and had no idea what to do with them. There were about three conflicts and it wasn't really clear if we were supposed to PVP or cooperate.

I would recommend leaving some time free to try out Games on Demand. The set-up is a little weird at first; you show up before even hours and are given a letter, then you get to pick the various games on offer right then based on what letter is drawn. These tend to be 2 hour games with lighter systems, including a place for some people to try out their homebrew system. Since it's only two hours and only takes a generic ticket, this is a really easy way to dip your toe into con games.

You can also register for games ahead of time starting Sunday. They tend to fill up fast so it's worth using the wishlist function on the GenCon website.

When you're registering for games, there are a few things I think you can look out for:
- Having "no experience required" listed generally means the GM will be happy to walk you through things and will most likely provide pregens and handouts. Likewise if it says "materials will be provided."
- I like to stick with simpler systems since it means you get to actually play sooner, but this depends on your tastes.
- Anything that involves pregen as part of play (except maybe a little personalizing, like with 13th Age characters) is going to take a lot longer.

And yeah, if you aren't enjoying the game, don't stick around. It's fine, it happens.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 15, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had one terrible experience I wrote about in a few threads. It's not quite as :gonk: as some other horror stories and I got what the GM was trying for but it made me and I think everyone else at the table a little uncomfortable.

It was an Atomic Robo beta test and the players were mostly premade. I picked a female that sounded like a femme fatale/action hero. You know the good, fun type of pulp action lady. When I tried to get information from a Nazi about where Oppenheimer's body was (his brain was in a dog) I succeeded at a small cost. His idea of a small cost was having my girl drug out into a back alleyway and being nearly raped. After that moment I gave up on the female bit and just turned her into a bloodthirsty action hero. Shooting all Nazis, rigging the Nazi castle with explosives, generally doing not what he wanted me to do. I ended up enjoying that so much more and he gave me a shitload of Fate points for giving in to her destructive tendencies even at the risk of triggering alarms.

So even not good experiences can be turned around just out of spite.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

My first year I did a lot of writing events and a few games, including my first ever LARP. This year I'm planning to do more board games and RPGs. If you're planning to go that route, the suggestions of 2-3 events per day plus a few generic tickets sounds pretty good.

In the other room my husband is furiously making a chart of time slots and planning his time down to the hour.

I glanced at the events list, said "Those sound fun," and went back to looking at pictures of cats. Takes all sorts.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ettin posted:

I live in Australia and don't attend Gen Con! I'll try and get something out in the next week and post around to see if anyone wants to run it.
hello this is my Kcikstrter it is caled "Etin GenCON" this s so I can fly 2 Austlaira and find ETin and put him in check bag and bring 2 ChenGon

I will be very disappointed if nobody here would want to run the game for you. So disappointed I might find the perfectly cruel smiley to use as a taunt to everyone.

sithwitch13 posted:

In the other room my husband is furiously making a chart of time slots and planning his time down to the hour.

I glanced at the events list, said "Those sound fun," and went back to looking at pictures of cats. Takes all sorts.
This is perfect.

The dude I go with most years who was our college gaming buddy when we were all in junior high (no worries, our parents appropriately and dutifully thought he was a molester until he agreed to meet each of them and explain how, since he met us online, he had no idea how old we were, teehee) has been planning out nearly every moment of his Gen-Con since the 1980s and was fond of angrily yelling at us in the morning if we were looking like we were not going to make it to the Exhibit Hall opening. Whereas the years he is not there, a couple of the rest of us are prone to waking up at 10, leafing through a gaming book we just bought, then falling asleep again until Noon before heading out, haha. Cat Picture Lookers and Grid Event Filler-Inners are but two parts of the glorious machine we call [The Lake] Gen[eva Wargames] Con[vention].

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My dark secret last year is that every day I went back to the hotel room for a mid-day nap before wandering back over to do stuff. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy Gencon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think I get a total of 15 or 16 hours of sleep between Wednesday and Sunday

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

CaptainRat posted:

My dark secret last year is that every day I went back to the hotel room for a mid-day nap before wandering back over to do stuff. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy Gencon.

This is how I like to do every con.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

CaptainRat posted:

This is the main reason I'm bummed we couldn't get a room near the convention center this year. Last year I could get to the Crowne in 15 minutes tops if I needed to rest (or poop in a clean bathroom).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pez posted:

This is the main reason I'm bummed we couldn't get a room near the convention center this year. Last year I could get to the Crowne in 15 minutes tops if I needed to rest (or poop in a clean bathroom).

Literally the best part of being downtown.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Pez posted:

This is one reason we would stay downtown every year despite being 20 minutes away.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Len posted:

I'm up for this.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A friend mentioned that room blocks often open up around July. How true is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A friend mentioned that room blocks often open up around July. How true is this?

That sounds about right, it's around when the last minute life poo poo causes most cancellations.

In other news our suggestions on what to sign up for during Gen Con Event Reg episode is up!

• Locked thread