Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Mk IV is my favorite armor, hands down. Mk V is also cool because it makes me think of the Space Sharks, and Space Sharks are awesome.

LIST QUESTION/ADVICE:
Where do you star when building a Space Marine list? Playing Blood Angels, I find myself taking a 2 or 3 Flamer/Heavy Flamer Tactical Squads in Rhinos then just wondering where to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Pick what looks cool to you unless youre playing in a tournament

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Moola posted:

Pick what looks cool to you unless youre playing in a tournament

So, Necrons, my Imperial Knight, and a Carnivean Warbeast. Got it.

Edit: Oh, and Mephiston.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
DONT GET SALTY WITH ME YOUNG MAN

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Mk IV is my favorite armor, hands down. Mk V is also cool because it makes me think of the Space Sharks, and Space Sharks are awesome.

LIST QUESTION/ADVICE:
Where do you star when building a Space Marine list? Playing Blood Angels, I find myself taking a 2 or 3 Flamer/Heavy Flamer Tactical Squads in Rhinos then just wondering where to go with it.

Man, that is way too much shooting and not enough stabbing.

I try to pick a theme to start with. Generally I prefer a Descent of Angels style list with a ton of jump infantry and Dante.

As Blood Angels I would recommend always running Death Company. They're just a ton of fun and will almost always make their points back. Also fairly versatile.

I've got another list built around supporting my Knight as he runs around stomping on people.

Basically just determine how you want to win and build around that.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I guess I'm weird because I really like the Mk. 2 crusade pattern.

Hggnnnn.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 15, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hencoe posted:

Hggnnnn.

It's not uncool looking or anything, like if you gave me a set of them I'd happily paint and field them, they're just beaten out by at least 3 others for me.

e: One thing about the Mk2 that does appeal to me is the idea that it's the original default armor pattern, so by the Heresy, if you've got a guy in it, it's either because it's been lovingly maintained and probably upgraded until it's artificer level, or it's because the guy/unit/chapter/legion is at the absolute rear end end of the list for new gear, and either one of those possibilities has some great backstory to work with. :)

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 15, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Domwe know whether or mot the kastelan robots will be worth it yet?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hencoe posted:

Hggnnnn.

What is going on with that gun? Is that an autocannon with a coaxial bolter as a handle?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
To keep SKUs down, the Autocannons use the same arms as bolter arms, so the guns have that awkward mount.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The Mk8 torso and the Mk4 head and legs are the best designs. Now good luck getting the head to fit inside the Mk8 collar properly.:negative:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Pendent posted:

Man, that is way too much shooting and not enough stabbing.

I agree, but stabbing is so much worse than shooting.
Following Moola's advice, here's my list for a 900 point game tomorrow:

code:
HQ (150pts)
Librarian Dreadnought (150pts)

Elites (410pts)
Dreadnought (120pts)
-Assault cannon

Furioso Dreadnought (145pts)
-Magna-grapple
-Blood Talons: Meltagun and heavy flamer

Furioso Dreadnought (145pts)
-Magna-grapple
-Blood Talons: Meltagun and heavy flamer

Troops (340pts)
Cassor the Damned (140pts)

Tactical Squad (200pts)
Flamer, Heavy flamer, Rhino

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I mean, really all the marks of Space Marine armor are pretty dang cool, mk. 7 is just the norm so it's mad boring compared to all the other ones. I hope at some point we get Mk. 1 Thunder Armor from Forgeworld, but I'm not placing any bets.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

To keep SKUs down, the Autocannons use the same arms as bolter arms, so the guns have that awkward mount.

Which has the bonus effect of them working with plastic kits, so you can use them to gear up AC Havocs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
execute all heretics who are not MK6 Corvus fans

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
MkIV used to be my favorite and I still love it, but right now I think it might be MkIII. I really like the Breacher helms, too, which is why Breachers were my first HH purchase.

MkVI is my least favorite. I guess I like the shoulder pads.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Do the Chaos SM have any suit that they came out with, or are they all just previous Suits with spikes and demon faces added on?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Invictus posted:

execute all heretics who are not MK6 Corvus fans
I didn't used to like beakies at all and Warstore had a bitz buyback program. I sold my beakie helmets and made like $60. I'm not even sorry.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Studded armour sucks and beakies are the worst.

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
You're only half right. Studded armor is super-rad and awesome but beakies are made of stinky butts full of poop.

It's the truth and everyone knows it but I'm the only one brave enough to say.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Sorry to break up the PYF Spaceman armour discussion, I hope you'll forgive the intrusion of English WD Rules Pics for the new Mutoid Man mechanicum units:

http://imgur.com/xl4u2p1&efsxwYF&SOF2oDG

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

Do the Chaos SM have any suit that they came out with, or are they all just previous Suits with spikes and demon faces added on?

Chaos and renegade space marines could have pretty much anything. There are so many potential backgrounds for any particular Chaos space marine and just as many stories as to how they came by their current suit of armour.

* There are chaos marines who fought in the heresy who continue to fight in the armour they wore then. Remember also, that time in the warp flows differently. So whilst it's been 10,000 years in real space. For some veterans of the long war the heresy could still be quite fresh. I think, for Talos and the characters in the Night Lords trilogy it's been around 600 years since the siege of Terra. There's a great scene where Talos meets up with a chaos marine he hasn't seen in two centuries but for the other character it's been 4 centuries (or something like that).

*Many chaos warbands don't have easy access to forge worlds and scavenge equipment from defeated loyalists. ANd it's quite possible for a suit of armour to have different pieces scavanged from different sources and be of different marks.

*There are loyalists who turn renegade and take their gear with them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cataphract posted:

Chaos and renegade space marines could have pretty much anything. There are so many potential backgrounds for any particular Chaos space marine and just as many stories as to how they came by their current suit of armour.

* There are chaos marines who fought in the heresy who continue to fight in the armour they wore then. Remember also, that time in the warp flows differently. So whilst it's been 10,000 years in real space. For some veterans of the long war the heresy could still be quite fresh. I think, for Talos and the characters in the Night Lords trilogy it's been around 600 years since the siege of Terra. There's a great scene where Talos meets up with a chaos marine he hasn't seen in two centuries but for the other character it's been 4 centuries (or something like that).

*Many chaos warbands don't have easy access to forge worlds and scavenge equipment from defeated loyalists. ANd it's quite possible for a suit of armour to have different pieces scavanged from different sources and be of different marks.

*There are loyalists who turn renegade and take their gear with them.

Yeah i was just wondering if like the Dark Mechanicum improved upon the design for the CSM and Came out with a new variant.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Texmo posted:

Sorry to break up the PYF Spaceman armour discussion, I hope you'll forgive the intrusion of English WD Rules Pics for the new Mutoid Man mechanicum units:

http://imgur.com/xl4u2p1&efsxwYF&SOF2oDG

BIG Money!
BIG Prizes!
IIIII LOVE IT!

They seem pretty cool, I'm just gonna have to wait til KR comes out with appropriate foam before I get any of them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Look at all these people being wrong. Mk. VIII Aegis all the way.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

BIG Money!
BIG Prizes!
IIIII LOVE IT!

They seem pretty cool, I'm just gonna have to wait til KR comes out with appropriate foam before I get any of them.

Why give them the rule to fire two weapons if they can only ever have one?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

TKIY posted:

Why give them the rule to fire two weapons if they can only ever have one?

There are three pictures in that album; the second is the Destroyers, which come with a Plasma Culverin and Phosphor Blaster, as well as crappier armor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Since battle reports are youtube videos now, can anyone recommend a play list or poster that makes quick videos of 5 or 10 minutes, instead of these 1 hour long videos made for people who don't work for a living :bahgawd:. I mean I like this this guy but man these videos don't need to be this long.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AbusePuppy posted:

You're only half right. Studded armor is super-rad and awesome but beakies are made of stinky butts full of poop.

SRM posted:

I didn't used to like beakies at all and Warstore had a bitz buyback program. I sold my beakie helmets and made like $60. I'm not even sorry.

Sykic posted:

Studded armour sucks and beakies are the worst.
And you guys say Moola is a lovely poster, holy moly!

No wonder this is such a trash thread, it's full of people who make poor life choices about what power armor they like!

The best!

The best!

The best!

The best!

The best!

The best!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get ready to throw down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fuwUJnKFM

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

SRM posted:

I mean, really all the marks of Space Marine armor are pretty dang cool, mk. 7 is just the norm so it's mad boring compared to all the other ones. I hope at some point we get Mk. 1 Thunder Armor from Forgeworld, but I'm not placing any bets.

Thunder Warriors were huge, almost Primarch sized. I'm sure we'll eventually see one done as a character, maybe Babu Dekal or whatever his name is, but no generic one.

They were designed to be short lived and it's been more than 200 years since they were culled.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If you don't think beakies are the best, you are officially an enemy of America/the UK/insert your home country here.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Thunder Warriors were huge, almost Primarch sized. I'm sure we'll eventually see one done as a character, maybe Babu Dekal or whatever his name is, but no generic one.

They were designed to be short lived and it's been more than 200 years since they were culled.

Well I meant like one of these dudes:

Captain Invictus posted:

No wonder this is such a trash thread, it's full of people who make poor life choices about what power armor they like!
I mean, I've painted a bucha those dudes but they're not my favorite. Mk. 6 is second only to mk. 7 for how lame it is compared to the cooler marks, but it's still neat enough.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

This is the post of a man who is wrong. You don't want to be wrong, do you?

People who are wrong will be faced with the fury of Macharius.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JerryLee posted:

e: One thing about the Mk2 that does appeal to me is the idea that it's the original default armor pattern, so by the Heresy, if you've got a guy in it, it's either because it's been lovingly maintained and probably upgraded until it's artificer level, or it's because the guy/unit/chapter/legion is at the absolute rear end end of the list for new gear, and either one of those possibilities has some great backstory to work with. :)

I want to add to this earlier post that I am now seriously attracted to the idea of making a Too Old For This poo poo heresy-era veteran squad who are still wearing the same Mk2 suits they left Terra in at the beginning of the Great Crusade.

Something to throw on my back burner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DJ Dizzy posted:

This is the post of a man who is wrong. You don't want to be wrong, do you?

People who are wrong will be faced with the fury of Macharius.

I believe we shan't take the words of a dark Eldar baby avatar haver as gospel, thanks!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

SRM posted:

Well I meant like one of these dudes:

He's been retconed brosef.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I mix and match my space marine armors because I don't give a gently caress.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MkIII and Cataphractii are the coolest :colbert:

Star Man posted:

I mix and match my space marine armors because I don't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Matching uniforms on your space marines as if they were typical space GIs instead of space operators mixing and matching seems weird to me.

• Locked thread