Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I feel like it's kind of mundane. At high player counts it seems non-interactive and there is a fair degree of luck in whether you draw a high scoring guild or whatever. At lower player counts there are just more stimulating things, like for example worker placement which basically is action drafting but usually with more complex chains of action-to-vp conversion.

The action drafting is too close to "vp point drafting" sometimes, where it feels like evaluating my hand is calculating whether I can afford a thing and the potential vp and then sorting them. As opposed to drafting the strategic components of a complex system that then turns around and earns me vp down the road via 2nd or later order effects. Compare evaluating a card in Glory to Rome for example with a card in 7 Wonders. It feels "flat" in that respect I guess. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think it's flat, but it feels that way relative to other games. "Flatter" I suppose

This is all pretty accurate, though I still like 7 Wonders. It's major strength is how incredibly quickly and smoothly it plays after the first (admittedly rough) 1-2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone play Dead of Winter? I picked up a copy but two quick questions;

1. Is there a way to remove starvation tokens?
2. How is the company for fixing misprints? My copy came with a blank card instead of a 5th character reference card.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jmzero posted:

The only one that I've really been impressed by is Tigris & Euphrates - it's a really unique thing (try out the app, it's cheap). His name is definitely not a quality guarantee; I've played a bunch of real Knizia clunkers (the absolute worst being Westeros Intrigue, which, to be fair, was a reskin of a children's game) and a few that were solid but, as you say, just kind of "pretty decent" (eg. Ra is an ancestor of a lot of modern games I think, but isn't real compelling to play now).

I hated T&E and always found Knizia games to be too abstract for my taste, but if you're into that kind of game he's got a lot of them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

yeah, you can just throw the game in the garbage

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

:boom:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

:drat:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Broken Loose posted:

:vince:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone play Dead of Winter? I picked up a copy but two quick questions;

2. How is the company for fixing misprints? My copy came with a blank card instead of a 5th character reference card.

I'm hazy on this, but I think the starvation only comes into effect if you don't have enough food for the pile. So the starvation tokens increase every time you starve, and just sit there doing nothing every time you successfully feed everyone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Broken Loose posted:

Well, I was going to throw your game in the garbage, but there is no physical copy because it didn't get printed.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doesn't seem so. The Plaid Hat Forums has this thread on it, but it's not 100% official or certain there. The rulebook only references starvation tokens in four places, none of which deal with removing them.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

ArgaWarga posted:

I think my group would like a semi coop game. We mostly play Imperial or Power Grid but I think an economic focused semi coop game would be fun. Is Archipelago our best bet?

Out of all the semi coops I've played it certainly has the least amount of bullshit; by that i mean I can explain it and have it make sense in one (short) go.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Trasson posted:

Twilight Imperium is a fantastic game, flaws and all, but there's a few things to know: First, it really wants the first expansion for it. This is especially for the new strategy cards, but also for nice little bits like race-specific techs and what not. It's also long as balls. You don't spend an evening with TI, you start at noon, break for dinner, and finish up at eight. It also doesn't play well with some numbers. Nominally, it supports 3-6, or 3-8 if you've got both expansions.
-3 is kind of TI-lite, where all the gameplay's intact but it ends up being a cutthroat Mexican Standoff. This could be fine, depending on your wants, but it's there nonetheless.
-4 is pretty good, but it does have ramifications that all of the strategy cards will be picked each round, which changes the relative power level of some of the races (some want specific strategy cards to be taken, or benefit from the greater breathing room of 4P).
-5 is kind of awful. It's a hex based board, which doesn't divide into 5, of course. There's two options. You can use the default rules, which put three players near each other like it's the 6 player board and two with a little more distance like a 4 player board. The more cramped players start with some extra cash, while the other two have extra room to expand. This is not a fair trade. Alternatively, there's a semipreset map arrangement on FFG's website, which makes a sixth of the board into this sort of traversable null space that makes everyone equidistant. This is a far better plan. Better still to find a sixth person, or just play Kemet.
-6 is where it's at. Everything about TI is balanced around six players.
-7 is like 5 but everything takes longer, and there's no nice preset map to work with.
-8 I haven't played but I imagine it's like the bastard child of 6 and 4 player games, which means it's probably still quite playable.

So if you can get the sweet spot player numbers (4, 6, or 8) with a bunch of people who like long games of strategy and diplomacy, with a little fighting and a hell of a lot of saber rattling, get TI.

I'm curious as to what you find flaws with in 7W. I mean, I can see why it might have elements that aren't your thing, but what about it do you feel isn't that great?

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with 7W right now, since it's a really good game, but I'm a little burnt out on it due to having made an expansion for it for a game design class final. I do think it's an excellent game, though.

I absolutely agree with getting the 1st expansion, the imperial strategy card in the base game is pretty lovely.

If everyone is new to the game I'd recommend starting in the morning not just the afternoon, setup and rules alone will take an hour or two. If you're pretty experienced you can definitely knock out a game in 4-6 hours though. I've probably played close to 100 times as I live 5 minutes fromm FFG HQ and their awesome event center, which has a weekly group that starts at noon and often plays twice in a day. Having one or two people who know the rules well makes a huge difference when bringing in new players.

I think 5 and 7 are perfectly reasonable to play with, having more room to expand isn't as exciting when your extra tiles are blanks, as everyone will be getting the same number of systems, and puts the good stuff by themselves. I agree that even numbers are better, but things work well enough.

I recommend drafting hexes before placing them, this prevents the worst lopsided starts and even new people can figure out that bigger numbers are better.

The 2nd expansion is solid but I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you play regularly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magnetic North posted:

Well, I was going to throw your game in the garbage, but there is no physical copy because it didn't get printed.

:pusheen:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goddamn dudes :iceburn:

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Zombie #246 posted:

Out of all the semi coops I've played it certainly has the least amount of bullshit; by that i mean I can explain it and have it make sense in one (short) go.

Thanks, this is actually really important for my group because I'm the only one with the patience to learn and explain new rules. :)

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The burn on noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose was not as good as the burn noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose gave out.
But that's just my opinion, as long as we're all having fun then everybody's winning.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The burn on noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose was not as good as the burn noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose gave out.
But that's just my opinion, as long as we're all having fun then everybody's winning.

One was a poo poo post that was predicted as soon as the guy asked about DoW, and the other punished said poo poo post. I'm giving my 10 to the guy who didn't dump on a guy for asking a question about a board game in this, the Board Game Thread.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So how awful is Wiz-War? I'm assuming it is poo poo and I should just play mage wars if I want to have no one to play magical wizard duels with me.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

You would be correct.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Barono posted:

I absolutely agree with getting the 1st expansion, the imperial strategy card in the base game is pretty lovely.

If everyone is new to the game I'd recommend starting in the morning not just the afternoon, setup and rules alone will take an hour or two. If you're pretty experienced you can definitely knock out a game in 4-6 hours though. I've probably played close to 100 times as I live 5 minutes fromm FFG HQ and their awesome event center, which has a weekly group that starts at noon and often plays twice in a day. Having one or two people who know the rules well makes a huge difference when bringing in new players.

I think 5 and 7 are perfectly reasonable to play with, having more room to expand isn't as exciting when your extra tiles are blanks, as everyone will be getting the same number of systems, and puts the good stuff by themselves. I agree that even numbers are better, but things work well enough.

I recommend drafting hexes before placing them, this prevents the worst lopsided starts and even new people can figure out that bigger numbers are better.

The 2nd expansion is solid but I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you play regularly.

5 and 7 are reasonable to play with in that the game functions, but there's definite issues. Because some people are closer than others, some players arr just playing a different game. I'll be talking 5 here as it's what I have experience with, but I'm quite sure this applies to 7.

With 5 players, let's consider players A, B, C, D, and E. A is at the upper right, then B to the upper left, C on the lower right, D on the bottom, E on the lower left.

If you're D, you start with six extra trade goods to balance out being next to C and E. This is pretty freaking massive. That'll let you get a second or third space dock up round 1, or grab a tech, or any number of easily snowballable advantages. C and E get four extra trade goods, which is still pretty nice to have. A and B get no such thing, but they've got an even better ability.

See, C and E are both three systems away from D. However, they're four systems away from A or B. A and B can feel free to expand aggressively. The lands being poor doesn't even matter. That just means they can fortify the best stuff that much easier. A and B don't need to cover their home system anywhere near as much. C and E can build up a nice fleet adjacent to their home system, but they've still got three more to go through. That requires Flank Speed, Gravity Drive, or Warfare II. However, they've only got three if they want to stab D, and two if they're in a planet adjacent. Two systems is traversable by anything. This means that C and E can threaten D and keep them honest while still protecting their home system. If they need to go for a home system strike for objectives/point denial, they can even bust a blockade in a two pronged attack, all while keeping a defensive fleet until the last minute.

The ramifications are as follows: D has two close neighbors to worry about, and the moment they start playing with each other he's in trouble. God help D if his SO is anything to deal with fortifying Mecatol Rex, because then there's two places to protect. Now, that's a dilemma everyone has, sure...but D's immediate neighbors don't have a choice of targets. A and B have a nice buffer between any of their strategic locations and any opponent. Except for, of course, Mecatol Rex, which they can defend in force, as any attack upon their core is almost certain to be seen coming*.

Now, all of this is usually fine, since system placement and race selection can balance out D having the harder game, but there's still a fundamental problem. D isn't playing the same game. D is playing six player Twilight Imperium, where one or both of your immediate neighbors are either your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on how they decide to swing with their neighbors. Unfortunately, it's six player TI where his immediate neighbors have zero reason to ally with him: his neighbor's neighbors are just not worth being on bad terms with. In all of this, A and B are playing four player TI, with a larger amount of space to expand into and less pressure from neighbors. C and E are playing some weird bastardized game of TI where they've got an easy target and a hard target, and they probably come out ahead if there's any combat objectives in the mix. Like I said, not everyone's playing the same game, and that's the real problem with base rules 5 and 7 player games.

*The only way to surprise attack over three systems with anything but pure Cruisers is Flank Speed. There's only so many of those in the deck, and there's every chance it might meet a Sabotage. The possibility of A or B eating a deep penetration strike is there, but it's as close to perfectly safe as you can get. Oh, and that pure Cruiser strike requires Type IV drive, which is a) hilariously late in the tree, and b) half wasted if you're not going to be making Dreadnoughts viable with them, and in that case, why are you planning pure Cruiser strikes?

S.J. posted:

So how awful is Wiz-War? I'm assuming it is poo poo and I should just play mage wars if I want to have no one to play magical wizard duels with me.

Wiz-War and Mage Wars aren't really comparable. One's pretty easy to pick up and teach if you're looking for something random and dopey, the other is a game known for having more AP than the one I just spent four+ paragraphs rambling about, and that's with a third of the players. Mage Wars is the better game by far, but you really really need someone else to play it with, and seriously at that. Wiz-War is okay if you can get it for cheap and you've got 1-3 other friends who don't mind just drawing cards and trying to play CTF. You'll never call it good, but it's not Munchkin tier, not by any means.

Also it has wizard CTF and I'm forced to admit that's kind of rad.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 15, 2015

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Played three player City of Horror, which was the most cutthroat game of anything I've ever played. Once guy didn't like it because it wasn't "thematic", which since he wants to play Last Night on Earth I assume means not "dicey and co-op".

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

:lol:
And the DoW poo poo talking finally comes to an explosive head.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Magnetic North posted:

:vince:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Thread's all downhill from here.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Magnetic North posted:

I'm amazed at how badly I can hurt a manbaby's feelings by talking poo poo about a game they like.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Broken Loose posted:

I'm amazed at how badly I can hurt a manbaby's feelings by talking poo poo about a game they like.

That's nothing. A guy wanted to fight me irl because I posted negatively about Cards Against Humanity on facebook.

EDIT: DoW is a bad game.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I think the only Knizia game I've played is Modern Art. Are the others worth looking into? I know some of the others are well regarded, but I haven't heard them mentioned, do they feel old? Most of them look old / boring aesthetically and I could understand Once Great Games that are now just Pretty Decent Old Games.

edit: I liked Modern Art despite its lovely components

Knizia's problem to my feel has always been that his themes are often super pasted on, and he's profilic as gently caress so overwhelming majority of his stuff is pretty mediocre to bad.

But there's definitely games worth looking into:

Tigris & Euphrates has never been my biggest favourite, but I do agree it's kind of a classic you should try out, especially now with FFG bringing out the reprint. Extremely solid mechanically, brilliant scoring mechanic.

Samurai I actually like a bit more than T&E, it's a part of the same Knizia's "series" of games as T&E (together with Through the Desert, which I haven't played). It scales very nicely from two to four and is meaty enough for medium-light euro it is.

Ra I've played just a couple of times back in the day, but I felt it was rather solid auction game. Can't really say how well it has held up.

Speaking of Egypt themes, Amun-Re is probably my most played Knizia. Our gaming group has always enjoyed that a ton. Auctioning for provinces along the Nile, building fields for profit and pyramids for glory, then bluffing when you some of your resources to the gods to affect how good the harvest will be. Middle of the game (when all the provinces have been sold) all but pyramids are cleared from the table and the provinces go for auction again. Biggest minus I give for the game is that I feel it really asks for the five players.

Someone mentioned Ingenious, I feel it's a solid abstract but I haven't just felt it necessary to bring it to the table in years, I think the tile bag is repossessed for some other game that uses on... Again, a very nice scoring mechanic in the end of the game.

I actually liked Lord of the Rings: Confrontatio quite a bit. It's essentially a light Stratego variant, but very compact and nicely thought out.

High Society is a light and fast auction card game that is decent enough for that but hardly something one needs to pick up. You essentially bid for points, and for not having to pick up negatives, but have to keep enough money not to have the least when the scoring starts or you're out. I have the earlier german not exactly high society themed version (Einfact Tierisch) which is more or less the same game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

You could always make a Print and Play copy if that's what's bothering you.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

ArgaWarga posted:

Thanks, this is actually really important for my group because I'm the only one with the patience to learn and explain new rules. :)

Me too it's a curse I tell you

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

ArgaWarga posted:

I think my group would like a semi coop game. We mostly play Imperial or Power Grid but I think an economic focused semi coop game would be fun. Is Archipelago our best bet?

Hey, speaking of, if we love Puerto Rico and Imperial, is Navegador worth looking into? Thanks for the help!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

ArgaWarga posted:

Occasionally I force someone else in my regular group to teach a game to a new player and it's hilarious.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The End posted:

That's nothing. A guy wanted to fight me irl because I posted negatively about Cards Against Humanity on facebook.

EDIT: DoW is a bad game.

1v1 me bro

Texibus
May 18, 2008

S.J. posted:

Trasson posted:

Wiz-War and Mage Wars aren't really comparable. One's pretty easy to pick up and teach if you're looking for something random and dopey, the other is a game known for having more AP than the one I just spent four+ paragraphs rambling about, and that's with a third of the players. Mage Wars is the better game by far, but you really really need someone else to play it with, and seriously at that. Wiz-War is okay if you can get it for cheap and you've got 1-3 other friends who don't mind just drawing cards and trying to play CTF. You'll never call it good, but it's not Munchkin tier, not by any means.

Also it has wizard CTF and I'm forced to admit that's kind of rad.

I'll echo what this guy said, I've only played it once at Gencon, but for just going around doing mean poo poo to people it's kind of fun. It is definitely a game that is not meant to be balanced or fair but if you want to run around for about an hour and half with your bros it's a good time. We laughed a lot.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 15, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lunsku posted:

Knizia
High Society

Oh, I've actually played High Society and it was solidly okay for one play, don't think I'll play it again. Thanks for the writeup, those are mostly the games I've heard about and wondered if they were worth checking out. They aren't at the top of my list but I know some people who quite like Tigris & Euphrates and Ra always seems to top some of the older lists.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Just for the record: I actually have not played DoW and I agree with the thread hivemind's objections to it, so I probably never will. I'm just familiar with the rules thanks to Table Top and Watch It Played. My objection is more questioning if we really need to sass a rando who is just asking a question about a very popular game.

Also the burn came to me so I had to use it, even though I was honestly hopeful that your KS would be successful.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Texibus posted:

I'll echo what this guy said, I've only played it once at Gencon, but for just going around doing mean poo poo to people it's kind of fun. It is definitely a game that is not meant to be balanced or fair but if you want to run around for about an hour and half with your bros it's a good time. We laughed a lot.

Wiz-war is amazing because one time my brother-in-law moved into a spot with walls on three sides and I ran by and cast a 'summon wall' spell on the fourth side, thus totally locking him in a cell for a turn or two until somebody felt bad and teleported him out or something.

Best part was that he went on to win the game, and despite that he STILL to this day gives me poo poo about it and that was 5 years ago. It really is just a stupid luck based 'take that' kind of game.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Finally played Hansa Teutonica last night with 5. What an amazing game for one that looks so drab and boring. The mechanics are so simple but the interplay of them and player interaction make it so interesting. It seems like there's all kinds of different paths to victory, the scores were all pretty close and everyone did a bit of a different strategy, though no one really took advantage of the Key and building a big network which seems like it could be really strong. I won by a few points by getting an office next to the action upgrade early, grabbing more bonus chips than the other players, and upgrading my privilege all the way so I could put a merchant on the black end of game scoring thing. A couple of the other players went heavy upgrades, and one was able to get a decent size network but didn't upgrade his key at all which would have probably won it for it him. Can't wait to play this one again and try some different strategies.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Magnetic North posted:

Just for the record: I actually have not played DoW and I agree with the thread hivemind's objections to it, so I probably never will. I'm just familiar with the rules thanks to Table Top and Watch It Played. My objection is more questioning if we really need to sass a rando who is just asking a question about a very popular game.

Also the burn came to me so I had to use it, even though I was honestly hopeful that your KS would be successful.

Yes because the game is bad and he shouldn't play it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Magnetic North posted:

I'm just familiar with the rules thanks to Table Top

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, heh. Reposting my favorite Table Top awful rules error:

Magnetic North posted:

My favorite Table Top error that I've seen so far is in the Gloom episode. The first move of the game was to play a modifier on one of their family. It's a modifier that says it can only be played on a character with a 'Marriage' icon... which is impossible on the first turn, as no character starts with any icon. This isn't mixing up a relatively elaborate game, this is a failure to read the card in a very simple game. It's even better because the big graphical flourish they have makes if obvious even to people who never played before.