Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serious Frolicking posted:

I stopped watching drive around episode 10 or so, did it ever improve?
That is an incredibly subjective question to answer. What did or didn't you like about Drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hope Professor Harley makes another appearance before the series is over if only because his actor is awesome and should be in more things. In fact, as far as I've seen nearly all of said actor's toku appearances have generally been one-shot deals so it might be that this is the case here as well. But, one can hope.

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
Does anyone know where to find subs for Choujinki Metalder? It seems like the episodes were on Youtube at a certain point and then taken down, and I can't find the episodes anywhere else.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mynameishong posted:

Does anyone know where to find subs for Choujinki Metalder? It seems like the episodes were on Youtube at a certain point and then taken down, and I can't find the episodes anywhere else.

If you mozy on over to a little site that's called nyaa.se and search for Metalder, it'll be the 10 GB one with the movie. It's only got one seeder but I'm sure it'll hold.

It's made up of a combination of GUIS/HiNoTori for the first episode, Dead Fish for like 2 through 20 or so, *EXCELLENT* HK subs for 20 through 30ish, and the rest are Dead Fish again.

The HK subs have sliiiiiightly off grammar and use very informal English, but are pretty much dead on. You could argue that they're better than certain fansubbers.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The episodes this week were both okay.

Maybe Takaharu getting the snot beat out of him by Gabi is going to cause the shift in prospective we've been waiiting for. Seems like Gabi's going to get exploded next episode though, which sucks. I guess that each of Gengetsu's group of bad guys is only going to show up one at a time. Kind of lame that they don't get to play off each other.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru fighting at the same time was awesome.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
You know, Shinobimaru in this episode raises a important question. if its possible to communicate with the ninja allies does that mean they all have a degree of sentience?

Would it be possible to hurt the feelings of a 5 storey tall dump truck?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After taking some time off tokusatsu I'm finally watching Kyoryuger with my fiancee. We're enjoying it a ton but holy poo poo episode 14 (the teacher monster one) was one of the worst sentai filler bullshit episodes I have ever seen. It hit the holy trinity of stupid gimmick replacing a robot fight, a character development episode that doesn't actually develop anyone at all and contains a healthy dose of bullshit enforcing of japanese cultural norms to boot, and a character doing something for absolutely no reason other than The Plot (why did torin leave the temple to go to amy's house)

I hope that was the low point of the series, 'cause dang.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ready to get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYaXJyQzo4

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay, now I'm definitely excited for Sentai in a way I haven't been in a long while . Dekaranger was my first Sentai, I'm so glad it's getting a special like Hurricaneger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My body is ready.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

2013 was the Hurricanger 10 Years Later special.
2014 had the return of Abaranger in Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters.
2015 gets Dekaranger 10 Years later.

Toei, I'm begging you. Keep it up and give us a Magiranger special next year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds good to me, hopefully they'll bring back DekaSwan one last time so all 8 rangers can have a chance to fight together. Bringing back DekaBright and DekaGold(which, by the way, would be the only time we'd actually get a proper fight with that suit) would be cool as well but somehow I doubt they'd go that far.

I'd also like it if they gave some of the older series' a shot as well. For example a Carranger: 20 Years After special would be cool to see (preferably with Signalman and/or VRV Master included this time around, Megaranger VS Carranger kind of lost some of its enjoyablity for me when I rewatched it with full context) or, for something more recent, a proper Gokaiger Returns special.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 15, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Light Gun Man posted:

My body is ready.

Dekaranger was my first actual super sentai, having previously just seen Saban's stuff over here in the states. I started downloading fansubs in my freshman year of college, and the roommates and I were all really fascinated by the choice to give super serious characterization to the guy in the dog muppet suit.

Now I don't even skip a beat on that stuff. "Wise God Torin? Yes I am on board implicitly."

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Dexie posted:

Toei, I'm begging you. Keep it up and give us a Magiranger special next year.

MagiBlue, MagiShine and MagiMom have all retired from acting though (very much like AbaYellow) so that's highly unlikely. At most you might get MagiYellow doing a cameo to teach AoNinger some magic tricks, if ever.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

After a quick check, it seems MagiMother's actress is still active and will be appearing on TV again on Monday evening. The other two are gone, but presuming relations in the team were positive, maybe they'd return for a one-off.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
MagiShine coming back for one last episode is all I want from this fandom :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
MFC is going to be doing Gavan alongside Dynaman, as announced via this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvT1g3HMht0

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
MFC? The sub group or?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

MFC? The sub group or?

The Microsoft Foundations Class library is going to rise up and subtitle Gavan and Dynaman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

The Microsoft Foundations Class library is going to rise up and subtitle Gavan and Dynaman.

I'm asking because I didn't see anything about it on their website, and it could have just as easily been a band covering the songs of the two shows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I'm asking because I didn't see anything about it on their website, and it could have just as easily been a band covering the songs of the two shows.

It was a tweet from earlier this month. https://twitter.com/MegaAnon/status/595414576063238145

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AzraelNewtype posted:

I think some Microsoft project in the past involved translating one of the Dirty Pair novels so don't think it's not possible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ninninger is the last episode of Kyoryuger over and over again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ninninger is the last episode of Kyoryuger over and over again.

I was gonna give it a break this week and not be the one who starts complaining but this episode of Ninninger was basically 'Yes, even all four other rangers together aren't as strong as Takaharu.'

The thing with Kyuuemon was at least interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm watching Kikaider 01 episode 5 and something more amazing and stupid and AMAZING than anything that's happened in Sentai or Rider in *LITERAL DECADES* just occurred 3 goddamn minutes into the episode. Keep in mind, that's including the minute long theme song.

So a giant egg washes up on a beach and a whole bunch of people come to see it. Out pops BLUE GATOR who normally I'd say is one of the goofiest looking motherfuckers in all of Toku history but this is Kikaider, and there are infinitely worse monsters than this son of a bitch. So this foam and felt bastard threatens to kill anyone who tries to escape- two dudes try, of course.

SO HE EATS ONE WHOLE AND THEN SPITS UP THE BONES.

The other one has run a fair bit further away so his MOUTH fires off and just tears the guys head off.

I mean

God drat

That's something OK.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like something that should be a gif/webm.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If I had the power I would. Sadly I am incompetent as hell at gifing.

Also holy poo poo, Kikaider 01 himself comes to the beach not two minutes later, and it's just littered in the foam bones. How many people did you eat Blue Gator?!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

If I had the power I would. Sadly I am incompetent as hell at gifing.

Also holy poo poo, Kikaider 01 himself comes to the beach not two minutes later, and it's just littered in the foam bones. How many people did you eat Blue Gator?!

Is this better or worse then that time in Gekiranger where the White Ranger literally shot a hole through a Crocodile Monster's stomach and it wasn't even the finishing attack.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love the friendship messages in Ninniger. "We can do this because we're a team!" says Takaharu, as he beats completely alone and wounded the super powerful enemy who praises him and only him while not caring about the other four fighting him all together. It's like Fairy Tail, it constantly feeds you that teamwork is AWESOME! as the incredibly broken hero does everything and more and the rest are completely incompetent when it matters.

I was warming up a bit to the series but this episode reminded me that, nope, this is still very much the Takaharu Show ft. Takaharu. It's pretty sad, really, Ninninger has no excuse to suck. It has a great cast, in both the Rangers (excluding, of course, Takaharu), the supporting team (grandpa and dad are both great) and even the villains (Kyuuemon is not as good as, say, Enter or Zed but she's definitely interesting and I want more of her backstory now, and I felt a bit sorry for Raizou there). The collectable trinkets are not bad, the weaponry is pretty cool (toad guns, loving toad guns!), the suits look great, the mecha are loving awesome after the disaster that were the Ressha...and yet, it all crumbles because the series refuses to do anything except heap more and more praise upon Takaharu and Takaharu alone.

It's such a waste, really.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is this better or worse then that time in Gekiranger where the White Ranger literally shot a hole through a Crocodile Monster's stomach and it wasn't even the finishing attack.

Both at once because like, everyone knows how bad tokusatsu could look back in the 70s, but Kikaider is the cheapest looking thing in the world.

So seeing fake arms and torsos get dragged into the mouth of a foam gator head and then Styrofoam skeletons spewing out of it is just kind of this magical thing that you can never unsee.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm starting to think Takaharu is more of a mary sue than AkibaRed who, you know, that was part of the joke with him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fooley posted:

I'm starting to think Takaharu is more of a mary sue than AkibaRed who, you know, that was part of the joke with him.

That was ironic.

This is not ironic. This is literally the writers going "here is the best character love him and adore him."

Pretty soon everyone's going to be asking where Takaharu is when he's not on screen.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Burkion posted:

That was ironic.

This is not ironic. This is literally the writers going "here is the best character love him and adore him."

Pretty soon everyone's going to be asking where Takaharu is when he's not on screen.

That's what I meant. He's more of a self insert than the intentional, ironic one. Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Poochie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Again: Ninninger is more red-centric than Shinkenger, which was a series about four people who dedicated their lives to their feudal lord (and then later that feudal lord's childhood best friend).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It is amazing how terribly this Japanese children's television show is conveying its messages about teamwork.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Again: Ninninger is more red-centric than Shinkenger, which was a series about four people who dedicated their lives to their feudal lord (and then later that feudal lord's childhood best friend).

Ninninger is arguably more red-centric than Kyoryuger, which featured a red who was canonically flawless had the series' only power-up, controlled half the mechs and beat the final bad guy solo.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Figured this might be more interesting to the folk here than the few peeps reading the Anigaro thread. Yukijiro Hotaru (Gonza in Garo, also detective Osako in Gamera 1-3) has been announced as a guest for this year's G-Fest.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

That was ironic.

The worst part is they already have done this.

Literally everyone in this show deserves a better show then what they have; Kasumi is loving great and in a better show I would buy her as the actual protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
At this point the only thing keeping me interested in Ninninger is the hopes that the reveal about Kyuuemon will lead somewhere interesting, and also the hopes that Ninja Dad will actually play a significant role. Because "Takaharu is the strongest and best at everything" sure as hell isn't compelling.

Like seriously what character traits does the yellow guy have? I don't even remember his name because he's been in the show that little. There was the episode where it's like "Oh he reads books a lot" and yep, that was it, he barely even exists in the show, he might as well just be an alien that only transports in when a fight starts for as much relevance as he's had to anything.

• Locked thread