Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah, Exploration too. I remember wanting to try that but the cost of entry (in terms of skills) being kind of high or something.

Exploration's what you need to find those complexes too, right?

It did have a high skill level when it first entered, mainly for complex scanning, They changed it at some point so you don't have to scan down complexes anymore, just wormholes and mostly hacking sites, lowering the bar for exploration with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
The counterpoint to this, of course, is scanning down those complexes, then waiting in a stealth bomber for explorers to come by, then ransoming and killing them.

Literal space piracy.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Kazinsal posted:

The youtube bars at 1:58 make this.

I thought the name of the video and the name on the opening slide being different is a nice touch too. It speaks to the duality of the video content and the highs and lows of the wormhole life

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I thought the name of the video and the name on the opening slide being different is a nice touch too. It speaks to the duality of the video content and the highs and lows of the wormhole life

I swore I told blaaky the right name to photoshop in :v:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

For having downloaded, installed, and learned all the software I used to make that in the last 24 hours hours it's not entirely as bad as I thought it would be. It definitely needs some rework though. Not enough hot moms, Gilas, or Space Violence references.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Fix Lag posted:

For having downloaded, installed, and learned all the software I used to make that in the last 24 hours hours it's not entirely as bad as I thought it would be. It definitely needs some rework though. Not enough hot moms, Gilas, or Space Violence references.

I think you need to advertise Hole Squad like it was one of those 80s albums you could buy for COD.

Plus ten other standout songs on Garnt Sings The HS Broadcasts:
  • Once, Twice, Three Times A Wormhole
  • A Crazy Little Thing Called Cap Escalations
  • Ooops I Rolled It
  • My Dinner Burrito Gave Me More Gas Than This Site
  • Scan Scan
  • I Stole From DBRB And I Liked It
  • You Can't Spell Garr Khan Without Spelling Grr (Gons)
  • (Just Like) Starting Over
  • Mi Mi Coleslaw
  • I Can't Roll For That (No Can Do)

Available on one compact disc, three metal cassettes, or eight 8-track tapes for $14.88, or free with proof of VCR-have.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
You fuckers have finally twisted my arm into trying this now that I have a machine that can actually run it. Guess I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow tutorialing the hell out of poo poo.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Boat posted:

You fuckers have finally twisted my arm into trying this now that I have a machine that can actually run it. Guess I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow tutorialing the hell out of poo poo.

Congratulations and welcome to hell.

The OP doesn't quite convey this bit enough: Once you've finished running the tutorial and you've got a good sense of what this game is about, immediately apply to Goonswarm and get out into nullsec. Get onto Mumble and start chatting with some of us. Do not spend months putzing around in highsec and being antisocial.

If you are not a complete sperg and are capable of teaming up with some people, you are going to have a blast in this game. If you try to do it by yourself, you're going to get bored after roughly two months and give up, and you'll miss out on easily 90% of what this game has to offer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fix Lag posted:

It's not bad at all for a first time, so congrats on that. The tracking of the ships on an object, in this case the cars, isn't atrocious as compared to other peoples videos doing the same thing.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's not bad at all for a first time, so congrats on that. The tracking of the ships on an object, in this case the cars, isn't atrocious as compared to other peoples videos doing the same thing.

It synched up pretty perfectly until the program spazzed after I added a clip 90% of the way through. Then I had to go back and try to fix everything :smith: but all the king's animators and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me with poo poo.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Fix Lag posted:

Holes squad and the kingdom of the high grade crystal skull is hard to beat honestly but I enjoyed this.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

The OP doesn't quite convey this bit enough: Once you've finished running the tutorial and you've got a good sense of what this game is about, immediately apply to Goonswarm and get out into nullsec. Get onto Mumble and start chatting with some of us. Do not spend months putzing around in highsec and being antisocial.

Yeah, I've gamed with goons before, you crazy bastards are the best part. I kind of jumped the gun and applied to Goonswarm immediately after character creation, I'm on the forums but not even the New Bees forum shows up, and the Jabber signup link is dead/redirecting or something. Whatever, I've already got Mumble and it'll be a bit while I learn the basics anyway.

Looking forward to wanton extortion from random idiots.

poo poo, that reminds me.

Almost 2 years ago I was working with some dude driving all over the middle of nowhere setting up wireless internet poo poo, and the topic of video games came up. He said he was way into EVE and I mentioned being on the forums and reading about Goonfleet's exploits and he just about lost his poo poo for 20 minutes talking about how you were ruining the game and the scum of the earth. All I could think was "all those stories I've read about pubbie tears are so goddamn true." :allears:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fix Lag posted:

It synched up pretty perfectly until the program spazzed after I added a clip 90% of the way through. Then I had to go back and try to fix everything :smith: but all the king's animators and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me with poo poo.

Did you use After Effects or did you use a different program?

AE has better tracking options in it than Premiere etc. in my experience.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

ChickenWing posted:

SPEAKING OF TOPGOON

Topgoon is dead, long live Top Goon.

(we're rebranding and refocusing, look at our TWR post and join topgoon)

Chicken, I'm very disappointed you didn't include this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmfd9etbXGE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

The counterpoint to this, of course, is scanning down those complexes, then waiting in a stealth bomber for explorers to come by, then ransoming and killing them.

Literal space piracy.

The problem is I kind of think I'm incapable of being a jerk :(

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

The problem is I kind of think I'm incapable of being a jerk :(

That's OK, I plan on doing enough for the both of us. This kind of thing is extremely my bag. :getin:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Yo Mara if you're reading this check your reddit messages.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blast, I can't remember my old account name. Guess I can make a new one this weekend or something, not like my characters had anything anyway that I can actually remember.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

scandoslav posted:

Yo Mara if you're reading this check your reddit messages.

My bad

Fixed it

:ohdear:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Fix Lag posted:

My bad

Fixed it

:ohdear:

S'all good babydoll. The Reddit-reading public doesn't need to know every last thing about us. ;)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

and i was just about to shitpost. :(

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Too late, rip holesquid

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

We had a better run of it than usual this time :sigh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dammit mara, we were the secret goon org that everyone denied, now it's out there and QEX is gonna evict us next week.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

orange juche posted:

Dammit mara, we were the secret goon org that everyone denied, now it's out there and QEX is gonna evict us next week.

Let me cling to the tiny shreds of opsec I have left, goddamnit. :argh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I've managed to accidentally train the wrong skill under "Scanning" to V without noticing not once, but now twice.

:cripes:

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
kinda bored with everyone roleplaying zombies. wtb mach fleet with fire :supaburn:

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes
Hi, I'm starting to get bored of WoW and decide that the best thing to do is play more MMO's.

I have two a couple questions that were not answered by the OP.

Once I get settled, like past the tutorial stuff and into the actual game / playing with goons, what kind of weekly time investment can I expect just to maintain my character? Is there any kind of busywork that must be done on a daily basis to just remain relevant in the game? (is there a lot of unavoidable grinding?) edit: On that note, is there always "something to do"? Could I play as much as I want to and not have to do things with pubbies? Are there only certain times of goon activity?

Secondly, I like making lots and lots of internet money. While I have never played Eve, I've known about it's economy for a very long time. Can I play internet robber baron and amass a huge hoard of money in a relatively small amount of time (months?) Assuming I'm an average goon, do I have any hope of eventually playing for free off my internet money?

I've known about this game and the goon's presence in it ever since I signed up for SA, but the game always seemed very off putting and difficult to get into. This thread has seriously got me interested in Eve.

edit: ryanrs, thank you for the advice. I'm gonna spend some time with the trial (its still currently downloading) before I look into playing w/ goons. but this game looks v. interesting and has a lot more depth to it than I initially thought.

haximus prime fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 15, 2015

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Zakrello posted:

kinda bored with everyone roleplaying zombies. wtb mach fleet with fire :supaburn:

With Polarized guns you get half the EHP but 1380 dps overheated (or 1540 with Hail). :getin:

Fake Edit: No I don't think that should be done.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

haximus prime posted:

Is there any kind of busywork that must be done on a daily basis to just remain relevant in the game?

If pay your monthly subscription, you can keep you character skills advancing at max rate by logging in once a week for the first couple months, then once every 5 years thereafter. You won't be relevant in the fun-thing-of-the-week sense, but you won't be falling behind in any important way.

If you want to fly with people on fleets, then it helps to be at your computer for several hours at a time so you can join in when pings are sent. There are usually a handful or more fleets pinged every day during both EUTZ and USTZ evening hours. Australian evenings are quieter. If you are nearby your computer after dinner for a few hours, you ought to be able to fly in fleets every day.

Generally speaking, there is not rigid login requirement to do much of anything, with the exception of more advanced forms of space moneymaking. This brings us to your next question.

haximus prime posted:

Secondly, I like making lots and lots of internet money. While I have never played Eve, I've known about it's economy for a very long time. Can I play internet robber baron and amass a huge hoard of money in a relatively small amount of time (months?) Assuming I'm an average goon, do I have any hope of eventually playing for free off my internet money?

If you like chatting up pubbies then you can make a ton of isk right off the bat with scams.

If you like grinding pve then you can do enough of that to pay for your account, but we're talking 10s of hours per month of pretty mind numbing grinding. You won't be able to do this with a brand new character though, so don't count on paying your first month this way. I mean you could do it, but you'd be grinding continuously for many many days. After, I dunno, 3-6 months(?) your character will have better skills and grinding up a month of game time won't be as bad (but still pretty bad).

If you want to make money in other ways, like market trading or more advanced industry, then you will need some seed capital (which you could just buy with RL $$). You will also need a pretty good understanding of how the EVE market and industry works, which will take a fair bit of time to learn. You will need to be smart and good with numbers to make isk this way, but this is how the richest players do it.

haximus prime posted:

(is there a lot of unavoidable grinding?)

If you pay for your subscription with real money there is no grinding at all. Instead you get to spend your game time doing fun things (in theory).

cybertier
May 2, 2013

haximus prime posted:

On that note, is there always "something to do"? Could I play as much as I want to and not have to do things with pubbies?

To expand on what ryanrs wrote and answer your first question:
There are lots of interest groups in the Imperium, so for any activity you might want to participate in there will be other available to join you or to talk about it. BUT, most content that actually involves piloting spaceships and involves multiple people needs someone to organize this activity.

This leads you to two options:
- Wait till someone provides content for you and your fellow goons. Happens very often, but you can't log in and be 100% sure, that right now someone is working for your entertainment and that fleet isn't to far out for you to catch up.
- Provide content yourself and learn to FC (fleet command). This way there will always be content for you and you will be loved for providing content. There are a million things you *should* know before you FC, but you can actually go out and lead a fleet on your first day. People love newbie FCs and will answer all your questions while still following your, probably suicidal, orders.

I didn't do the jump to FCing yet myself, but thats just because I'm mostly to shy.

Activities that don't actually involve piloting space ships can be done round the clock. i.e. Scamming, station trading, buying and importing goods etc.

Your second question:
Yes, you are nearly 100% insulated from doing things with pubbies, besides scamming them, fighting them, ganking them and making them unhappy with your existance in general. (Unless you count us SNOOOs as pubbies :shobon: )
Since people don't trust each other in Eve unless they are part of the same alliance, people rarely interact outside of those.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Ciaphas posted:

Blast, I can't remember my old account name. Guess I can make a new one this weekend or something, not like my characters had anything anyway that I can actually remember.

After you create a new account, put in a support ticket to CCP via the billings tab or email support@eveonline.com and explain the situation.

If you still have access and know the email account used you should be OK. I've recovered forgotten accounts I had when character trading without that even.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
ffffffff I felt the call of the motherland and resubbed. :negative:

Haven't played since 2010 ... have we forgotten to pay bills again or anything equally drama-worthy in the last few years?

Is moon mining still profitable? I had a love / hate relationship (ok, mostly hate) with my POS. But for some weird, masochistic reason I enjoyed tending a fleet of POS and printing isk while sleeping*

*When I wasn't waking up in the middle of the night to feed the reactors...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

polyfractal posted:

ffffffff I felt the call of the motherland and resubbed. :negative:

Haven't played since 2010 ... have we forgotten to pay bills again or anything equally drama-worthy in the last few years?

Is moon mining still profitable? I had a love / hate relationship (ok, mostly hate) with my POS. But for some weird, masochistic reason I enjoyed tending a fleet of POS and printing isk while sleeping*

*When I wasn't waking up in the middle of the night to feed the reactors...

Drama: We started a rental empire. We started a corp that recruits from reddit. We recently completed the transition from funny gimmicks to tryhard gimmicks. Frabba killed sig towers (honestly this is the worst bit out of everything).

Moon mining is super profitable, but good luck getting anything - R64s and some R32s are nationalized, and everything else profitable is goonrushed. Reaction farms are a great way to make isk if you've got like 12bn seed cash sitting around.

E: different topic: Man, TMDC has really been in the shitter lately. while they appear to have sorta-fixed their misshapen boxes problem, now half the titles don't fit. Also there's been next to zero content. There's gotta be something to write about guys,

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 15, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I just remembered I have a mach docked in JU-.

Do we still have the special machariel reimbursement?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ChickenWing posted:

E: different topic: Man, TMDC has really been in the shitter lately. while they appear to have sorta-fixed their misshapen boxes problem, now half the titles don't fit. Also there's been next to zero content. There's gotta be something to write about guys,

I have a feeling the org has been left to go to seed. Needs some hands-on intervention or TMDC will become completely irrelevant. I'm surprised someone hasn't been on top of this, since the Dumb Website is important to the new monetization scheme...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChickenWing posted:

In the last month and a half the map went from this to this yet somehow the only thing to write about is devblog copypastes or "another titan died"? Gonna laugh when a teenager manages to get EN24 to reclaim the prestige news site throne.

Challenge: how long can you watch this for?

various cheeses posted:

Yes, if you meet the skill requirements.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Anyone got a decent battle report for the fight against Darkness. yesterday? The zkillboard battle report seems to think that FCON and Goonswarm Federation are on opposing sides (kick FCON).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

various cheeses posted:

Sell that poo poo to Sixx, I'm sure he'll welp it majestically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

How does the mach reimbursement work with the 1bil reimbursement limit?

I can't read GF.com forums at work.

• Locked thread