Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012
So... What the hell happened here? I left for like five months and it seems this game is just dead to everyone now? Did Chucklefish just give up on it? I didn't feel like reading everyone's :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Starbound is a bad game, hth

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i quit the last time they wiped everyone's save and played again this weekend and it was good for 5 or 6 hours

but now i have to go do pointless fetch quests and spend hours in caves looking for rare minerals just so i can upgrade my poo poo and no thanks

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ozzy8bats posted:

So... What the hell happened here? I left for like five months and it seems this game is just dead to everyone now? Did Chucklefish just give up on it? I didn't feel like reading everyone's :words:

They looked at all the things that were actually fun and went "these things are not fun" then took them out and added a lot of unfun railroading bullshit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Asimo posted:

Starbound is a bad game, hth

This is highly disputable, but the person who disputes it needs to be ready to admit they were wrong in advance because Starbound is, indeed, a bad game.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ozzy8bats posted:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chucklefish didn't abandon the game but yeah, it's pretty dead to anyone who frequents this thread. Progression is a terrible, boring grind right now, feeling like some long-rear end unskippable tutorial more than anything. They post every now again on their website about upcoming features but they keep going back on ideas, changing fundamental concepts about the game, and implementing long awaited features (like Teleporters) in clumsy and restrictive ways, so it's pretty hard to get super excited about updates. We do talk about updates, when they happen or are previewed on their site, as long as there's actually something to talk about, but no one's really playing right now because the game's not in a good spot.

Most people avoid this thread for various reason though if you asked any of them they'd probably take more time to explain to you why than they've even put into the game in months.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm actually kind of impressed that the game has somehow become less finished in the past year.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll probably eventually be something someday but for now terraria will be updating next month and there's a wide world of other poo poo to play while chucklefish putters around and does whatever the gently caress they're doing while trying to figure out what makes videogames 'fun'

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh man I can't wait for that fuckin' terraria update

moon monsters sound fun as heck

ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012
I see. That is pretty disappointing because I was super excited about it. Terraria with multiple worlds was like the coolest idea ever. Let's hope you're right and they get their poo poo together eventually. Thanks guys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've actually gotten back into Minecraft because this game has stagnated. Or maybe I played too much during the updates and just can't be bothered to do it again until it's done (if it ever is). Who knows.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Are you seriously implying Minecraft has not stagnated? Did a 16 wheeler run over your head and if yes, how many times?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Are you seriously implying Minecraft has not stagnated? Did a 16 wheeler run over your head and if yes, how many times?

No, I'm just saying that my interest in Starbound has waned so much that I'm back having genuine fun (on goon-run servers) with Minecraft, a game that I have been playing for 5 years now.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx for posting that gif again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, I'm just saying that my interest in Starbound has waned so much that I'm back having genuine fun (on goon-run servers) with Minecraft, a game that I have been playing for 5 years now.

i might play more minecraft at some point because i'm one of those broken people that actually enjoys those gigantic modpacks

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Have you been following the FUN and EXCITEMENT expressed in every single post in this thread? Are you ready to join in and jump into the wonderful universe of STARBOUND!?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Minecraft is getting a combat update soon so it has the potential to be somewhat interesting again for the first time since the Nether was introduced.

Of course, the only thing we've seen so far from the devs hints more at "Add a bunch of poo poo on top of the bad system" than "fix or change the bad system" so we'll see.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Minecraft is getting a combat update soon so it has the potential to be somewhat interesting again for the first time since the Nether was introduced.

Of course, the only thing we've seen so far from the devs hints more at "Add a bunch of poo poo on top of the bad system" than "fix or change the bad system" so we'll see.

Actually, one of the only issues I really have with Minecraft is combat. Yes, many things can be fixed with the game, but as I mentioned, I play on a server with goons, it's fun, and I enjoy it, except for the combat. Could they fix enchanting/potions/armour progression? Yes to all of these, and I hope they do. In the meantime, if they can make fighting stuff more fun, :toot:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

oh man I can't wait for that fuckin' terraria update

moon monsters sound fun as heck

i'm excited for it too, but i hope it's like an actual biome and not a lovely raid event. "pumpkin moon," "frost moon," "moon moon"

e: i would be pretty forgiving if it was actually called moon moon

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry to disappoint it seems more like a moon event.

spoiler video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ltoW4LsGk

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i always got the impression that it would be weird alien things attacking in an event of some sort. i'm not all too sure what all's going to be added but it's an excuse to play the game again, at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Moon events are probably my single least favorite thing ever added to Terraria, unless you count 0.1% drop rates.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Minecraft has the added benefits of :
1. Being a 3D game
2. Having an insanely large mod community (also an insane mod community but that's actually a negative unless you're only observing)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Minecraft is the bare minimum of a 3D game, to be fair.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
minecraft is awful and people who are excited for anything minecraft-related have brain problems

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the minecraft modding comunity is an argument for eugenics

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Minecraft is pretty cool. It had home field advantage. Most of the official updates have been lateral moves at worst.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Play Starmade, they just added a rail system to it and it owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Party Alarm posted:

starmadeinamerica, except when it's starmadeincardiffbecausewereallylikedoctorwho, but in a couple years it'll be starmadeinindiailoveoutsorcinglol

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Party Alarm posted:

I have been playing this recently. It is fun but the controls are terrible. It is really Minecraft in Space. And it is free while it is in Alpha.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Minecraft is loads better than Starbound because you can actually do what you want in it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, when I play Minecraft I can close Minecraft any time I want.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Minecraft is loving Epic. Starbound is aiight. Terraria 2 is better. Yospos, bitch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I prefer Edge of Space

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
All games are bad.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

RottenK posted:

the minecraft modding comunity is an argument for eugenics

unironically this

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kew2wb30Ljo

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692051&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Play Starmade

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can't believe I had high hopes for starbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

I can't believe I had high hopes for starbound.

Starbound is a game for people with taste. It's fantastic in all the right ways and continues to be what other games aspire to. Look at terraria as an example: the devs are making a pure carbon copy of moon monsters and moon gameplay. They are stealing from starbound.

Then take a look at terraria: other world. They practicly stole starbound combat system to make the game remotely fun. I'm the alpha trust me.

• Locked thread