Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
When I lost the top of my pinky due to a conveyor belt incident I also did not really feel any pain. I did feel the tug of the belt, I pulled back my hand and saw the top of my pinky missing. I pinched my artery with my other hand just to be sure and to stop making a giant mess, and ran to get some help. The hurt came when they disinfected the wound by putting my pinky in an alcohol bath :stonk:. That was probably the worst instantaneous pain I ever felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
When I cut myself on a cutting knive inside a plastic blow molding machine I didn't notice it at first either, my first reaction was 'poo poo, there is a hole somewhere and the hydraulic fluid is leaking' as I saw it mixed with the cleaning agent on the floor, i followed the dripping, thought it was somewhere above my arm, but couldn't find it until i took a step back and scratched my head and saw the gaping cut.

That's what I get for not checking if the knive is in the correct position before cleaning that ancient murder machine. Pain was actually ok, even stitches by the doc, only relly started to hurt the next day after waking up and kept hurting the whole rest of the week.

Pain is weird.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

surebet posted:

Pain is weird sometimes, during one of my surgeries the local aesthetic wasn't correctly applied and I ended up making unholy sounds, kicking a poor nurse and passing out from the searing white pain.

I fell and put my hand through a window once. Felt no pain, withdrew my hand and looked at it.

2.5" gash in the wrist, clean as a scapel cut, right through to the underlying muscle, you could see the individual layers of skin and subcutaneous tissue. There was hardly any blood. Camp director drove me to the ER, they scrubbed it out with betadine and stitched it up. The only pain I felt were twinges from the needle while they were stitching.

Pain is weird sometimes.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't that what going into shock is? If I'm remembering right, it's a survival trait to let us work through injuries that a lot of other species don't have.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

Isn't that what going into shock is? If I'm remembering right, it's a survival trait to let us work through injuries that a lot of other species don't have.

I think pigeons have it. I saw a pigeon with its brain exposed as i was walking to get pizza one time. I thought it was dead. Coming back with the pizza, it was walking around. I'm sure it passed not to long after but drat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God loving dammit :stonk:

this is the osha dot jay peg thread not the let's discuss mutilations and horrifying accidents thread

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

God loving dammit :stonk:

this is the osha dot jay peg thread not the let's discuss mutilations and horrifying accidents thread

What's the difference?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ponzicar posted:

What's the difference?

It's the difference between The Three Stooges and Saw.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ponzicar posted:

What's the difference?

This stuff is funny, we can go "oh LOL those crazy people, look how stupid and dangerous they're being"

This makes me queasy and has nothing to do with dangerous workplace antics:

surebet posted:

Pain is weird sometimes, during one of my surgeries the local aesthetic wasn't correctly applied and I ended up making unholy sounds, kicking a poor nurse and passing out from the searing white pain. Strange thing is I didn't feel the first few cuts because a) this wasn't my first OR rodeo and b) I saw the anaesthetics being injected and felt the burning tingle of them being diffused IM. I guess my brain convinced itself that it couldn't be pain it was feeling in the first few seconds until the scalpel dug deep enough.

Same goes for people I treated as a first aid responder, especially in cases of blunt force head trauma. Concussions & shock do fucky things to your pain perception.

Not to pick on surebet, because a bunch of people do this all the time in this thread.

I mean, even the guy who had his arm ripped off in a machine, at least was workplace-injury related.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

An Angry Bug posted:

No. Shock is when your circulatory system stops working, either because you've lost too much blood to sustain circulatory pressure, because your heart's not beating effectively anymore, or for some systemic reason like anaphylaxis. You're not working through much of anything when your heart's beating like a hummingbird but your blood pressure's fallen through the floor and your tissues aren't getting any O2. It's pretty much the opposite of adrenaline.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 13, 2015

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Feindfeuer posted:

That's what I get for not checking if the knive is in the correct position before cleaning that ancient murder machine. Pain was actually ok, even stitches by the doc, only relly started to hurt the next day after waking up and kept hurting the whole rest of the week.

Pain is weird.
Pain is a bitch it's one of the few things that your body really doesn't desensitize to. It's a positive feed back loop where pain releases chemicals that cause more pain, not only at the site but in the spine. That's why chronic pain is so hard to treat, your body literally hyper-sensitizes to pain the longer you have it. Then in a fun twist of fate pain killing opiate receptors/channels will happily desensitize, unlike the pain causing ones.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

No. Shock is when your circulatory system stops working, either because you've lost too much blood to sustain circulatory pressure, because your heart's not beating effectively anymore, or for some systemic reason like anaphylaxis. You're not working through much of anything when your heart's beating like a hummingbird but your blood pressure's fallen through the floor and your tissues aren't getting any O2. It's pretty much the opposite of adrenaline.

There's actually something called mental shock or just "shock", more properly "acute stress reaction". Symptoms include numbing, emotional detachment, muteness, derealization, depersonalization, psychogenic amnesia, continued re-experiencing of the event via thoughts, dreams, and flashbacks, and avoidance of any stimulation that reminds them of the event. It's the first stage of humans adapting to stress and trauma.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I disagree. That truck was definitely cut short.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bridges are a very valuable resource these days, as I understand it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Karma.Osha.Jpg

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Pictures like this remind me of The Lineman of the County, which is a p good song.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

exspurt analcyst posted:

Pictures like this remind me of The Lineman of the County, which is a p good song.

not as good as Teenage Wasteland

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Looks like that whore got triggered.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasted.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxMlL333_Y

Wedgie bob?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Difference is, those arabs knew what was coming, did it for laughs and had a great time.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

not as good as Teenage Wasteland

Setting the bar a little high there. Nothing is as good as Teenage Wasteland.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

i like the guy at 4:30, he handles that nitro express rifle like a boss

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://i.imgur.com/0C4L4kx.webm

Forklifts are fun!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My rear end in a top hat clenched so loving tight seeing the guy on the left practice the Prometheus method of running away.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjVW9QsoD4

:stare:

With how long he was holding the magnetron close to the bottle by hand, I'm surprised he didn't eat a ton of glass. The kreosan kids are gonna gently caress themselves up one day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mostlygray posted:

As I've said many times in this very thread. You don't gently caress with a spinning shaft. Everyone of his chuckle-head colleagues should be happy that they didn't just witness a mans leg twisted off like you'd twist a drumstick off a chicken.

I nearly lost a finger once on a lathe chuck because I forgot to take off my wedding ring. A good reminder to respect the lathe because it sure as hell does not respect you.

Heard one story in high school shop class from my teacher about a guy who left a rod or something sticking out perpendicular from a lathe and it accidentally got turned on. Dude was standing too close, rod spun up and basically sliced him open from pelvis to chest. Don't remember if he lived (or even if the story was true) but drat if it didn't make all of us really, really careful around them, especially with safety equipment and making sure to work in pairs with someone near an emergency stop switch.

Although in that class I was almost the OSHA example a couple times, first time using a lathe to sand a project and the sandpaper got yanked from my hand and cut the webbing between my thumb and index finger. Other time wasn't really my fault, someone was welding behind me and a spark jumped, hit my shirt, and all the lint on my back went up in flame. All I heard was "whoa holy poo poo" and someone started patting my back down before I realized I was even on fire. Good times!

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

With how long he was holding the magnetron close to the bottle by hand, I'm surprised he didn't eat a ton of glass. The kreosan kids are gonna gently caress themselves up one day.

Uhhhhh what's going on here?

Why does that bottle of champagne explode into a fireball?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sockser posted:

Uhhhhh what's going on here?

Why does that bottle of champagne explode into a fireball?

It had a lot of energy beamed at it. And it was microwaves so it heated up what was inside (a non negligible volume of water and also alcohol, under pressure).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Did not realize there was enough alcohol in champagne to burn like that.

I guess it's under pressure and just being fed energy but still, not what I expected.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I think the alcohol vapor is going to boil off first, increasing pressure in the bottle and eventually causing a BLEVE. At which point the hot alcohol vapor ignites in the air.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Grapeshot posted:

I think the alcohol vapor is going to boil off first, increasing pressure in the bottle and eventually causing a BLEVE. At which point the hot alcohol vapor ignites in the air.

The bottle bursting from being heated, sure. The ~100ml of alcohol boiling off, igniting and making a flare through the ~650ml of water, maybe, ok.

That ~4oz of alcohol making a fireball, causing all the vapor spray to ignite, and leaving sticky flames burning with black smoke on the magnetron and box? nah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I don't think that bottle was full of wine. I'm gonna assume they refilled the bottle with something like petrol and then wired the cork back in and put fresh foil over the top.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/wm6t7rV.gifv

One false move... :ohdear:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ozz81 posted:

Heard one story in high school shop class from my teacher about a guy who left a rod or something sticking out perpendicular from a lathe and it accidentally got turned on. Dude was standing too close, rod spun up and basically sliced him open from pelvis to chest. Don't remember if he lived (or even if the story was true) but drat if it didn't make all of us really, really careful around them, especially with safety equipment and making sure to work in pairs with someone near an emergency stop switch.

Although in that class I was almost the OSHA example a couple times, first time using a lathe to sand a project and the sandpaper got yanked from my hand and cut the webbing between my thumb and index finger. Other time wasn't really my fault, someone was welding behind me and a spark jumped, hit my shirt, and all the lint on my back went up in flame. All I heard was "whoa holy poo poo" and someone started patting my back down before I realized I was even on fire. Good times!

Lathes (the big ones) are freaking scary!

We had these massive westinghouse ones in my shop class and one kid left the chuck wrench in it when he started it up and sent it flying about 15 feet straight up in the air. Another kid didn't properly secure the 40lb chuck on his lathe and sent it flying about 10 feet away from him and it hit a cement block wall and smashed one of them. Another kid was using a gas torch to cut open a shock cylinder and sent a jet of flame 20 feet across the room.

The shop teacher said the scariest thing he ever saw was an oxygen cylinder fall off a forklift, land right on the valve, rocket 25 feet straight up, punch through the roof, and about 6 seconds later punch back down through the roof and land on the shop floor (this was as the too land die place he worked at before becoming a teacher).

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Gas cylinders are basically rockets waiting to blast off.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

horry poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Blistex posted:

Lathes (the big ones) are freaking scary!

We had these massive westinghouse ones in my shop class and one kid left the chuck wrench in it when he started it up and sent it flying about 15 feet straight up in the air. Another kid didn't properly secure the 40lb chuck on his lathe and sent it flying about 10 feet away from him and it hit a cement block wall and smashed one of them. Another kid was using a gas torch to cut open a shock cylinder and sent a jet of flame 20 feet across the room.

The shop teacher said the scariest thing he ever saw was an oxygen cylinder fall off a forklift, land right on the valve, rocket 25 feet straight up, punch through the roof, and about 6 seconds later punch back down through the roof and land on the shop floor (this was as the too land die place he worked at before becoming a teacher).

yeah just cause 2 was pretty fun

• Locked thread