Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The worst sign in the trailer is them showing the freeing of the gang member sequence twice when it isn't even a new gameplay mechanic in the series. This only tells me that it will be same old same old and they even ran out of things to fill the trailer with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I wonder if EA is going to get IP-butthurt over the use of the word "Syndicate"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

AC has been bad for so long that I can't think of any new mechanics to make it interesting anymore and still be "Assassin's Creed".

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I wonder if EA is going to get IP-butthurt over the use of the word "Syndicate"

I'd much prefer Assassin's Creed: Oiks of East End.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

For whatever reason a part of me wants to go back and play Unity again. Is there anyway to start a new file or do I have to do what the 'net tells me and wipe my game data before I can "start from the bottom"?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Palpek posted:

The worst sign in the trailer is them showing the freeing of the gang member sequence twice when it isn't even a new gameplay mechanic in the series. This only tells me that it will be same old same old and they even ran out of things to fill the trailer with.

Yeah but you can go up walls REALLY FAST with a grappling hook!!!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Calax posted:

For whatever reason a part of me wants to go back and play Unity again. Is there anyway to start a new file or do I have to do what the 'net tells me and wipe my game data before I can "start from the bottom"?

The latter :(

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I liked Unity but that is straight up bullshit. We've been able to have multiple saves since the very first game, what the hell is up with losing them now?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

effervescible posted:

I liked Unity but that is straight up bullshit. We've been able to have multiple saves since the very first game, what the hell is up with losing them now?
No idea... strikes me as Bullshit too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

effervescible posted:

Too difficult to animate, apparently

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

webmeister posted:

Yeah but you can go up walls REALLY FAST with a grappling hook!!!

I remain cautiously optimistic, as I am one of those awful Assassins Creed fans that would be totally happy playing the same game in different settings year after year.

Regardless, the story has to be good and Unity doesn't fill me with confidence. The setting was solid, the overall story both in-setting/modern not so much.

That said, no one else anywhere in the industry is doing AAA games in historical settings with the level of respect and research that Ubisoft puts into it.

Sooo...yeah, I'll probably be dropping 70 CAD on AC:S. :(

EDIT: Don't think I don't see the "HELIX 4.0" in the AC:S trailers! I want a modern storyline to ground the game. Gimmie a new Desmond! Rogue was refreshing in that it HAD a modern storyline!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 15, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

*restarts the game*

Why haven't we gotten "Jazz Age Junkies" yet? An AC game set during prohibition/the 20's.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

I remain cautiously optimistic, as I am one of those awful Assassins Creed fans that would be totally happy playing the same game in different settings year after year.

Regardless, the story has to be good and Unity doesn't fill me with confidence. The setting was solid, the overall story both in-setting/modern not so much.

That said, no one else anywhere in the industry is doing AAA games in historical settings with the level of respect and research that Ubisoft puts into it.

Sooo...yeah, I'll probably be dropping 70 CAD on AC:S. :(

EDIT: Don't think I don't see the "HELIX 4.0" in the AC:S trailers! I want a modern storyline to ground the game. Gimmie a new Desmond! Rogue was refreshing in that it HAD a modern storyline!

I'm probably going to end up getting this as well, but I'm waiting to see the reviews at launch to see if it'll be worth a full-price purchase or if I'm waiting for half price.

There is pretty much Ubisoft could say or do at this point that would make me think doing a blind preorder on this game is a good idea.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

macnbc posted:

I'm probably going to end up getting this as well, but I'm waiting to see the reviews at launch to see if it'll be worth a full-price purchase or if I'm waiting for half price.

There is pretty much Ubisoft could say or do at this point that would make me think doing a blind preorder on this game is a good idea.

Oh totally agreed. No-one in their right mind should preorder this game after Unity.

Hell, I only preordered Unity after holding off on AC:4 (AC:4 ended up being really really good!). I only bought AC:4 after the raving from the interwebs prior to the PC release. I enjoyed Unity but it wasn't AC:4 good. I think I liked Rogue more...but that might just be the fact that I was sailing around Canadian waters to Newfoundland sea-shanties. :canada:

I suppose us PC gamers are blessed in that sense, in that we can guarantee the PC will always be released later thanks to the bogeymen of "pirates".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calax posted:

*restarts the game*

Why haven't we gotten "Jazz Age Junkies" yet? An AC game set during prohibition/the 20's.

we might. My guess is syndicate is probaly going to be a test bed on how vehicals(other then ships) work out in the AC series. I am hoping for some Asian or eastern Europe settings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we might. My guess is syndicate is probaly going to be a test bed on how vehicals(other then ships) work out in the AC series. I am hoping for some Asian or eastern Europe settings.

My favorite detail is how the carriage starts smoking as it gets more damaged.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

My favorite detail is how the carriage starts smoking as it gets more damaged.

I hope the horses explode Power Rangers Villain-style if the carriage takes too much damage.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like Ubi should team up with RockStar to produce GTCreed.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Snuffman posted:

Oh totally agreed. No-one in their right mind should preorder this game after Unity.

Hell, I only preordered Unity after holding off on AC:4 (AC:4 ended up being really really good!). I only bought AC:4 after the raving from the interwebs prior to the PC release. I enjoyed Unity but it wasn't AC:4 good. I think I liked Rogue more...but that might just be the fact that I was sailing around Canadian waters to Newfoundland sea-shanties. :canada:

I suppose us PC gamers are blessed in that sense, in that we can guarantee the PC will always be released later thanks to the bogeymen of "pirates".

I preordered Unity and I don't regret it, because I liked the game, had few technical issues and enjoyed the extra goodies I got, but I think even if I end up buying Syndicate on day one, I'm not going to actually preorder it. Ubisoft needs to get its tech poo poo together and not think it can release something that that wasn't done yet and still get tons of preorders the next year.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Thinking about it, I feel like AC series needs SOMETHING to shake up the formula storywise. One of the reasons Rogue worked was that it was playing the Templar's as the good characters rather than evil.

I mean imagine if during part of this we had a third group of true anarchists running around trying to wreck everyones plans and create a truely free world?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calax posted:

I mean imagine if during part of this we had a third group of true anarchists running around trying to wreck everyones plans and create a truely free world?

They could never bring in an evil libertarian faction because they would alienate like half their userbase.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

:

The White Dragon posted:

They could never bring in an evil libertarian faction because they would alienate like half their userbase.

Anarchism and Libertarian aren't exactly the same thing. I'm saying a group who's like "We want true freedom for everyone. If you have power you're free to use and abuse it, if you don't you're free to try to fight back."

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

For a few years Erudito was set up as the Third "plague on both houses" Faction, then they just folded them with the Assassins.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fuuuuuuuck.

So when I played AC4 the first time through my phone was kinda poo poo and I couldn't use the companion app.

I decided when I play through this second time, I wanted to play with the app while I was at work. So I progress through the main story until I unlock the fleet.

BUT WAIT! What's this? All my top level man'o'wars are here! 9999 gems are here! Hundreds upon hundreds of resources!

I really wanted to try it from the start, with nothing at all... but in looking around online that's not possible because UBISOFT. So much for that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

khy posted:

Fuuuuuuuck.

So when I played AC4 the first time through my phone was kinda poo poo and I couldn't use the companion app.

I decided when I play through this second time, I wanted to play with the app while I was at work. So I progress through the main story until I unlock the fleet.

BUT WAIT! What's this? All my top level man'o'wars are here! 9999 gems are here! Hundreds upon hundreds of resources!

I really wanted to try it from the start, with nothing at all... but in looking around online that's not possible because UBISOFT. So much for that.

Yeah, the online connectivity stuff KILLS AC4 for me now. You load up a new game and immediately get all your fleet rewards. You have to hunt down bullshit social collectible items to unlock certain features and costumes. Dumb stuff like that. At least Rogue has everything that's in the game available to you without having to go online. Shame I like the setting of AC4 WAY more.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

For a few years Erudito was set up as the Third "plague on both houses" Faction, then they just folded them with the Assassins.

Well depending on whether they ignore Rogue's modern storyline, there IS a faction of crazy cultists that follow Juno. Can't remember their name. I'm sure they'll come up at some point.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Instruments of the First Will. According to Unity they are trying to leverage Helix and other Abstergo resources to bring about the Singularity so that Juno can affect the physical world again, so that's where the main overarching plot is headed.

effervescible posted:

I would guess it had something to do with the way coop is baked directly into the game but I couldn't say for sure.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I would guess it had something to do with the way coop is baked directly into the game but I couldn't say for sure.

That makes sense, but it still stinks. I would never want to 100% Unity twice, but sometimes it's fun to start as a noob again and not just replay the sequences with all your late-game swag. Plus the memory where he officially joins the Assassins cuts some of it off on replay. I found that our while trying to stream the story stuff for a friend.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Instruments of the First Will. According to Unity they are trying to leverage Helix and other Abstergo resources to bring about the Singularity so that Juno can affect the physical world again, so that's where the main overarching plot is headed.

Headed 8 years from now at the glacial pace they've been moving the modern-day story since AC3.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ha, yeah. I think there was something in the Assassin Intel about Clay Kaczmarek's digital ghost being a step in that direction so hopefully that story will culminate sooner rather than later, but then they'll have to come up with some kind of new overarching plot and I don't think they want to do that or to make things confusing for people who skipped games--that's why I assume they buried it in Unity. But my friends and I are some of the last remaining people who give a poo poo about modern-day so I don't expect it to ever be so prominent again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The whole reveal trailer looked like Victorian era anti-Tory propaganda.

I approve.

There is literally one factor that determines my reaction to the game. If Karl Marx is in the game and he is your buddy, then this is GOTY, no, GOTD.

If not, then it's a piece of poo poo and cast it to the winds

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

fennesz posted:

I want to like the concept behind Connor but good god he's an idiot. Watching him in cutscenes is just painful.

Can we talk about AC3 for a bit?

I've been playing it for the first time over the past couple weeks and I feel like I could rant about so many things that went wrong. This however, is one thing that probably disappoints me the most. I love Haytham. His characterization is fantastic and the first time that he confronted Connor, I felt a genuine sense of "he could beat the poo poo out of me, even on my best day." Which is what makes Connor such a let-down.

Let's put it this way. There's a major problem with your game's protagonist when in every single scene with him and Haytham I find myself agreeing with the supposed bad-guy more often than not and shaking my head whenever Connor does the opposite of basically everything everyone tells him. Almost every character has gone out of their way to tell Connor that he's naive, but instead of punishing him for it and making him learn anything from his mistakes, the story arbitrarily rewards him. Connor is never wrong, despite being the most reckless and stupid person in the entire game.

I'm not finished the game yet, but Jesus. This poo poo is getting hard to watch.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is literally one factor that determines my reaction to the game. If Karl Marx is in the game and he is your buddy, then this is GOTY, no, GOTD.

If not, then it's a piece of poo poo and cast it to the winds

With utmost sincerity, this.

Zarah posted:

Connor is never wrong, despite being the most reckless and stupid person in the entire game.

Finish it imo. (Not that you're wrong!)

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2015

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

lol this nerd memorized subject 16's name.

I guess I'm no better off for knowing that's Subject 16 though...

Zarah posted:

Can we talk about AC3 for a bit?

I'm not finished the game yet, but Jesus. This poo poo is getting hard to watch.

It sucks. The plot for AC3 is some of the worst I've seen in modern gaming. And no, it does not get better. I legitimately like Haytham because he's not a "regular Templar" thanks to his upbringing, but Connor is just... ugh. I was playing through it a few weeks ago to show my girlfriend just how bad they dropped the ball, and not only is Connor a terrible character, he's just an outright dick. At some point he even argues with Achilles, saying that Achilles didn't do poo poo for him when he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without Achilles's assassin training. We just stared at the screen and thought to ourselves, "what a loving ingrate." I could just go on and on about why Connor is terrible. Sure, having an imperfect main character is fine, but Connor has no redemption outside of, say, the Homestead missions. He is literally a caricature of an angry Native American. I just thank Christ that they decided against him scalping his enemies (which was apparently an option they were considering during development).

gently caress AC3.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

The Grimace posted:

At some point he even argues with Achilles, saying that Achilles didn't do poo poo for him when he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without Achilles's assassin training. We just stared at the screen and thought to ourselves, "what a loving ingrate."

I was going to bring this up too because yeah, that scene came out of nowhere. And to make it worse, Achilles straight up calls him on his bullshit, but Connor still rides off to do whatever he wants. And we're supposed to empathize with him?

At least he apologized later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

One thing I had in my head soon after finishing AC3 was that Connor should have been an Assassin that had nothing to do with the Assassins at large. Like, he agreed with their philosophy, underwent their training, but didn't use it to fight directly against Templars or directly for America but for his tribe and family. Concentrating more on the Native part of his heritage, not the American Revolution. I know its likely one of those dumb "idea guy" ideas that sound a lot better as a nebulous concept in my head rather than an actual developed narrative but seeing the American Revolution from the perspective of a Native quasi-Assassin, and the effect that has on the Natives, would have at least had a much more interesting hook to me. Basically replace the Homestead with his tribal lands.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I know its likely one of those dumb "idea guy" ideas that sound a lot better as a nebulous concept in my head rather than an actual developed narrative but seeing the American Revolution from the perspective of a Native quasi-Assassin, and the effect that has on the Natives, would have at least had a much more interesting hook to me. Basically replace the Homestead with his tribal lands.

Conner was a wasted opportunity, as he ran straight into the barrier of what could have been a really compelling protagonist vs. "A team of multicultural blah...blah...blah". I think Ubisoft was afraid of pushing Connor too far because he's "too real" to their biggest audience, and that's a crying shame. To make matters worse, they cut a LOT of genuinely good Connor-fleshing-out scenes for whatever reason (time and money!). With the cut scenes included, Conner is a LOT better.

Related, I was the biggest proponent of "UGH...ANOTHER EZIO GAME!?" but I'm pretty bummed that we're not getting any closure to any of these new assassin stories. Edward, only through tie-in novels, but nothing for Arno and Shae. Say what you will, after Dead Kings, I was wondering what Arno would get up to and was hoping for a Napoleonic Wars game where he acts as Master Assassin and trained his waifish urchin protege. Also, no Shae in Unity? What a wasted opportunity. :(

Despite the Connor hate, I want to know what happened to him (outside of some mention of how his wife was controversial to Abstergo-Entertainment. Way to pique my interest!.

Only Ezio and Altaïr get an "ending"? Not fair! I'm not expecting multiple games featuring the same assassin, but I want some closure!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 16, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

One thing I had in my head soon after finishing AC3 was that Connor should have been an Assassin that had nothing to do with the Assassins at large. Like, he agreed with their philosophy, underwent their training, but didn't use it to fight directly against Templars or directly for America but for his tribe and family. Concentrating more on the Native part of his heritage, not the American Revolution. I know its likely one of those dumb "idea guy" ideas that sound a lot better as a nebulous concept in my head rather than an actual developed narrative but seeing the American Revolution from the perspective of a Native quasi-Assassin, and the effect that has on the Natives, would have at least had a much more interesting hook to me. Basically replace the Homestead with his tribal lands.

I think AC3 was just a disaster story wise because they probably had an idea for Conner, they knew their modern day plotline, but didn't have a clue what to do in the past. Like the AC3 pitch was "We'll tie up the modern day story line and our assassin in the past will be a Native American in the Revolutionary War!" and then the entire dev team poo poo themselves when they realized they had no real idea what to write.

If they had given themselves a larger scope to play with, and not been so adherent on "USA good, Britian Bad!" we'd probably see a much better game for it. Admittedly this was also the game where they had literally every single major event of the war happen with the player watching...and got HUGE amounts of flack for it from everyone else.

Not gonna lie, Connors story seems so inconsequential to the "future" story it's kind of sad. I wish they had tied it together better (with the future missions being based upon something within Connor's story for example), and not just a "find macguffin in the past to dig it up now" (which is also Unity's future-plot).

I think a second Connor game that takes place during a time skip would do his character a lot of good.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Aaaaaagh. I keep trying to pick up Black Flag but since the whole ship thing is hosed and can't be reset it irritates me and irritates me. I mean that was a sizable amount of gameplay, going after specific ships JUST because I wanted them in my fleet, weighing my options for what to send where, unlocking all kinds of fun poo poo via the fleet and I can't loving reset it so I can't start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Was cleaning out my PS4's videos and I found this masterpiece. It's not an amazing glitch, but it makes me laugh a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R_YT8j-WA

• Locked thread