Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

why would they do this 'pleasure' 'kevin'

cause they announced support for drag-and-drop porting of objective C iOS apps, but not swift ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they cant really drop a whole framework until they have a new one tho

the language is just one bit of a thing

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i dont think pleasure kevin was seriously recommending such a course of action.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fleshweasel posted:

i dont think pleasure kevin was seriously recommending such a course of action.

this gives me flesh, weasel

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Snapchat A Titty posted:

this gives me flesh, weasel

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

uh...

pram!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

i'm going to have to start remembering to hit decline on 3rd party offers during an actual windows install aren't i?

like this is a thing that's a possibility in my future

not if you don't install windows

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

they've already made Windows Update untrustworthy by installing the Bing Bar and Skype and Windows 10 adware

how is installing a popular voip app they own skeezy at all

edit: wait its not even installing it its just under optional https://www.404techsupport.com/2015/03/microsoft-pushing-skype-optional-windows-update-kb2876229/

edit: wait both of them are, what the gently caress are you complaining about

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 15, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
because it's an ad riddled piece of poo poo?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

because it's an ad riddled piece of poo poo?

that its not installing? the actual important part of that sentence? literally just 5 seconds of googling "windows update skype" gave me a full article explicitly describing how it isn't actually doing anything surreptitious, just putting optional programs in the optional section like its done forever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pft

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I strive for high quality, well researched burns, not this weaksauce

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i get my burns from ms sorry

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

windows is trash

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: wait its not even installing it its just under optional https://www.404techsupport.com/2015/03/microsoft-pushing-skype-optional-windows-update-kb2876229/

the Bing Bar and the Windows 10 adware stuff were both recommended updates, which will get automatically installed on some configurations, and I think Skype has been in the past

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr Dog posted:

yea no apple is still a thing sorry, as is windows 7

but if it weren't for apple i could kinda hilariously see ubuntu more or less just winning the desktop by default pretty soon

well, sure, but for me personally, i have never used osx for more than a few minutes and have used ubuntu a decent amount already, so i'm already familiar with it. and i can keep using my current hardware (and keep updating it piece by piece)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Yolo Wizard posted:

desktop janitors have desperately been trying to convince non-technical women and children to trust windows update and let it install things to keep their computers safe. not only did microsoft add windows live essentials, skype, bing bar, and windows x adware, but they also got rid of QA to the point where home users should probably should wait a week or two before installing windows updates to make sure things don't break.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
they had to put Skype and bing bar in windows update because they still haven't managed to make an App Store that isn't terrible despite owning the loving platform

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
every iteration of a microsoft-branded store has been terrible. the xbox store for xbox games wasn't completely terrible back in the 360 era, but they've since fixed that.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I've disabled windows update after the latest update failure.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if ms actually wanted you to update they would make the updates quick and easy as they are in a certain (very) advanced operating system for computers made by a specific vendor.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

have they promised no-restart updates this time around?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

why would they promise that when there's no way they wouldn't be able to break their promise? oops sorry i answered my own question

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no restarts!*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's more important to be able to say "100k apps in the app store (99% of which are webview wrappers and/or malware)" than "the trustworthy/well curated place to get apps and automatically keep them up-to-date"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the Microsoft app store does not contain any of their flagship apps

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Except lovely versions of Skype and one note I suppose

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the way microsoft releases updates there's not really any way to do this since some updates will always require a restart (though they should probably be less common than today)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i was referring to some promises made by microsoft re: windows server

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
haven't they promised no restarts since vista and never followed up on it? lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

haven't they promised no restarts since vista and never followed up on it? lol

i think it technically happens less, but since there's still at least 1 update that requires an update per month it's a completely moot point.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
windows server nano has 80% fewer reboots

its basically headless linux with more reboots, less software and less manageability

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

microsoft qa purge still looking good

office 2011 for mac has a new update today that breaks outlook: can't open the main window, can't send emails

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pinterest Mom posted:

microsoft qa purge still looking good

office 2011 for mac has a new update today that breaks outlook: can't open the main window, can't send emails

this is a blessing re: all emails

kinda sad because it was the first outlook client I actually didn't mind using and mail.app feels like baby mode

:rip:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Perplx posted:

windows server nano has 80% fewer reboots

its basically headless linux with more reboots, less software and less manageability
a guy at work was telling me about windows core and how it's going to be the next docker and lol

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So are they gonna rehire qa or just hire more programmers and have them do qa work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

max4me posted:

So are they gonna rehire qa or just hire more programmers and have them do qa work.

lol

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

max4me posted:

they are just going to hire more middle management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

max4me posted:

:lol:

• Locked thread