Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I enjoy games by sticking them up my butt.

Rez sounds like it's right up your alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Rez sounds like it's right up your alley
Yes, that's usually how he does it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please note that it is not recommended that you put games, consoles or amiibos up your rear end. You may damage the hardware, or yourself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Please note that it is not recommended that you put games, consoles or amiibos up your rear end. You may damage the hardware, or yourself.
Guy with hundreds of Rosalina amiibos: I've made a huge mistake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

Actually, putting amiibos up your rear end is the only place they will be safe from scalpers, so go hog wild

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

guy: you got a major stick up your rear end
*me, with entire xbox one in my anus*: too bad its the WRONG KIND OF RAM

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

VideoGames posted:

101%? you can go higher??

The Spiro trilogy would blow your mind :psyduck:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
insomniac is good at video games

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

insomniac is good at video games

I feel sorry for them. The other two big Sony platformer guys from that era are still doing gangbusters but Resistance and Fuse were non-entities even when they were new and Sunset Overdrive was released on a dying console so if there actually is a good game under all that embarrassing XTREEM 90s dayglo memery nobody's going to actually find out until the inevitable PC port.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i have faith in the new ratchet & clank movie, and the tie-in game will be good as well, because even the worst ratchet game is still pretty good.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

They phoned in the ending sequence for Sunset Overdrive and made something that sounds very fun into the most boring boss fight possible.
If they announced a new ending to be added to the bone version when the pc port is released it might be worth picking up if you ever had any interest in it.

Edit: a bad ending sequence in an open world game might not sound like a dealbreaker but consider that a lot of people may just go to the end of the within about twelve hours (an upper estimate, first time players could easily get there in ten hours without walkthroughs). 1/10th of their playtime will be the ending sequence. Its first half is more than an hour long for most people because it was probably designed as padding rather than a challenge. Then, the second half starts and you end up having some fun for a moment. Than you realise that the ending is just repeating the same series of movements and dodges about seven times. The final boss fight is just repeating the same poo poo, with little variation, significantly more times than the rule of threes should permit.
And then... the obligatory sequel stinger. gently caress Sunset Overdrive.

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 15, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

They phoned in the ending sequence for Sunset Overdrive and made something that sounds very fun into the most boring boss fight possible.
If they announced a new ending to be added to the bone version when the pc port is released it might be worth picking up if you ever had any interest in it.

Insomniac are constant victims of executive meddling, especially on new IPs. Fuse was going to be good originally, then it got meddle'd

same with sunset overdrive

microsoft designs games to directly compete with rival bestsellers, like "we'll do that idea but BETTER than they did it"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think I've asked this before but I had lot of mindless fun with the first Prototype while mostly ignoring the garbage plot/characters/everything, is the second more of the same or do they gently caress it up changing the controls or taking out wall-running or some poo poo

I ask because both are on sale on PSN SHOULD I DO IT GAMES CHAT THREAD?? y/n

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Excels posted:

same with sunset overdrive

if you check some dev interviews that talk about their initial pitches to ms it sounds like they made exactly the game they wanted to

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well some people liked sunset overdrive didn't they

i never played it because hahahaha buying a loving xbox one hahahahahahaha

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wolfsheim posted:

I think I've asked this before but I had lot of mindless fun with the first Prototype while mostly ignoring the garbage plot/characters/everything, is the second more of the same or do they gently caress it up changing the controls or taking out wall-running or some poo poo

I ask because both are on sale on PSN SHOULD I DO IT GAMES CHAT THREAD?? y/n

All I know for sure about prototype 2 is that they replaced the main character with an Iraq war vet and randomly made the previous MC the main villain so make of that what you will. As for gameplay I think it's mostly the same with a couple of new powers and abilities tacked on. If you liked the first one you'll probably enjoy it, doubly so if you can get it on sale.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 15, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Awesome! posted:

if you check some dev interviews that talk about their initial pitches to ms it sounds like they made exactly the game they wanted to

Middle-aged game developer executives trying so hard to show how hip and punk and with-it their new game about taking down the man (brought to you by Microsoft, only on Xbox One) was was really, really funny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

ME1 plays like absolute stinky butt, I have no clue why there was a demand for a sequel, let alone how it ended up being their best game

RPGs in 2007 were very bad and third person stuff was pretty popular.

Remember, Gears of War was all the rage back then.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Middle-aged game developer executives trying so hard to show how hip and punk and with-it their new game about taking down the man (brought to you by Microsoft, only on Xbox One) was was really, really funny.

Wow. I can't imagine thinking it was a good idea to tell this story to a reporter.

I imagine a lot of business meetings regarding games are pretty much the same. "These kids love the world of warcraft! We're down with the Tolkein roots!" or a bunch of perma-death procedurally generated buzzwords. All at least 2 years past being played out.

The guys at Giant Bomb talk about this every once in a while; I guess there are mobile gaming conferences that aren't open to the public... because it's just a bunch of people talking about taking advantage of consumers, blatantly.

e: I wonder if anyone ever leaked audio of people discussing lovely free to play pricing schemes...

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 15, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smith sighed as he unleashed his smirk

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

it is really hard to keep track of this explanation. microsoft went to insomniac and dumped a bunch of random things into a presentation and slapped the projector screen like "do this, and this, the hip stuff the kids like"?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

Cringing so hard right now ugh. I hope none of that is actually true

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

I had lot of mindless fun with the first Prototype is the second more of the same
Yeah. It was dissapointing to me because of this. I don't remember what, but some people didn't like the way they changed the powers.

All I wanted was expanded movesets. The game could have really used that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mass effects combat only got better as time went on, me2 is a little barebones for my taste but me3 improved on it pretty well. i didnt find me1 too tedious to replay but it does show its age a lot

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Play Prototype two if you want a weird bio-hazard-human-weapon open world game. You can completely skip the first one.

If you played the first one and you liked it, do you want a better version of that game? A 1.5 with new and better gameplay challenges that weren't in the first one? Are you willing to accept only gaining a handful of new abilities and moves (and better functioning and more interesting versions of previous abilities) instead of the sort of inclusions to a game's systems one might expect from a more proper installment in a series?

Prototype 2 is somewhere between Crackdown and Mass Effect as far as installment priorities and accomplishments go. Maps and assets are quite visibly reused, but the gameplay greatly benefits because more time was spent tuning the mechanics and systems of the game.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Seems like par for the course for Microsoft, really.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

it is really hard to keep track of this explanation. microsoft went to insomniac and dumped a bunch of random things into a presentation and slapped the projector screen like "do this, and this, the hip stuff the kids like"?

Ekster posted:

Seems like par for the course for Microsoft, really.

Marcus Smith and Drew Murray are Insomniac guys. Sunset Overdrive was them going nuts and making their dream game now that they were no longer under the yoke of a single corporate master rather than any sort of nefarious outside interference from Microsoft.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

StashAugustine posted:

mass effects combat only got better as time went on, me2 is a little barebones for my taste but me3 improved on it pretty well. i didnt find me1 too tedious to replay but it does show its age a lot

I loving love bumbling around random planets in the Mako, and I understand why people would have rather had an improved inventory system instead of removing it entirely, but anyone who says they liked the actual ME1 combat best is objectively wrong. Anything it does even remotely well is improved upon in ME2, with the possible exception of those ridiculous high-powered explosive rounds that overheat your gun in a single shot.

RoanHorse posted:

Play Prototype two if you want a weird bio-hazard-human-weapon open world game. You can completely skip the first one.

If you played the first one and you liked it, do you want a better version of that game? A 1.5 with new and better gameplay challenges that weren't in the first one? Are you willing to accept only gaining a handful of new abilities and moves (and better functioning and more interesting versions of previous abilities) instead of the sort of inclusions to a game's systems one might expect from a more proper installment in a series?

Prototype 2 is somewhere between Crackdown and Mass Effect as far as installment priorities and accomplishments go. Maps and assets are quite visibly reused, but the gameplay greatly benefits because more time was spent tuning the mechanics and systems of the game.

I was actually a pretty big fan of the first one when it came out. I spent a lot of time jumping off of very high buildings and trying to see how long I could protect a single civilian in the big fuckoff crisis areas. My biggest problems were that everything but the blade power was totally useless in the end and the story took itself really seriously for being insane stupid garbage. It's certainly tempting, though Saints Row IV almost gets you halfway there as it is...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with Mass Effect 1 was that part of its charm was being pretty. But the art styles Bioware use do not age well. So ME looks like rear end, plays like a 3rd person shooter of its time, and has the good/hilarious/awful/embarrassing writing Bioware is known for.

The Mako sections are legitimately better than every side mission in ME2 though, and even plenty of the main quests. Anyone who disliked the Mako can gtfo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mass Effect 1 is really good for playing a space wizard and shooting people off the edge of the map or bouncing them around the room with gravity powers, it's a shame all their CC bullshit got nerfed for game balance in the sequels

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i loved driving the mako to the top of a weird alien mountain and getting out, standing in my multicoloured armour against a setting sun.

i was exploring the universe and it felt great.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
new av owns, vg

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

new av owns, vg

thanks man. I try and choose them carefully

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think VideoGames has changed his avatar more times in the past than I did that time that I made people angry by saying I didn't care for Zero Suit Samus

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Today I remembered a game that might or might not have existed that I played when I was younger. I have vague memories of it, and would like to know if I dreamed it up or if it really exists.

It was a tile-based, possilbly 4x game with a vaguely mystical sci-fi aestetic. Each player would build his own base on his floating island, which could be destroyed one tile at a time. I remember two units specifically: one was a one tile building that would spawn these pear-shaped helycopters made of what looked like glass that would fly right on top of enemy buildings and bombard them. The other one was an hard counter to the first: some sort of circular, squat building, with a sling built in the center. The sling would rotate a bunch, take up speed and release a bullet (disc- shaped, maybe?) that would shatter the pearcopters.

Now that I typed it out it seems even weirder than when I first thought of it. Has anyone heard of this one?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I think VideoGames has changed his avatar more times in the past than I did that time that I made people angry by saying I didn't care for Zero Suit Samus

i like avatars :> sometimes i find something and think yeah i need to wear that! usually because it makes me laugh.
never had a red title tho because im pretty chill

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I've had like 12 red text avatars but most of them were from when I used to post in FYAD and would venture into GBS to insult them, or that one time that I made fun of the slam whale catchphrase

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i got a red title pony avatar once and i have no idea why. no one ever admitted to buying it or explained it.

there should be some kind of required field when you buy someone an av so you can puss out after paying ten bucks

edit: can't^.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 15, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

I think I've had like 12 red text avatars but most of them were from when I used to post in FYAD and would venture into GBS to insult them, or that one time that I made fun of the slam whale catchphrase

one time someone bought me a purple text that said "puts on +5 rose-colored glasses of nostalgia for lovely ASCII games" because i said nethack is more fun than dungeon crawl stone soup. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have lost my talents for making people angry about stupid things these days, but i don't really miss it.

• Locked thread