Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The engines are definitely a low point on the new one. But hey, holographic mini emperor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Does anyone know of any decent online stores for shipping Lego to aus? (Or within aus)

I really want an ecto 1 which I've only ever seen one in an actual store at toys r us for $80 (its $70 on the Lego au store).

$70AUD just seems way to expensive for the set. Lego want an extra $30 to ship it to aus too.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 15, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So I'm getting back into LEGO now that I'm out of college and spending my money on the sets seems a bit more reasonable (looking at you, Slave I). Picked up the Hulkbuster Smash set from a local WalMart because it was surprisingly hard to find and I was glad to discover that clicking bricks together is just as fun as it was many years ago.

I also discovered that my complete Cloud City set with all the minifigs is apparently pretty collectible. It's been sitting in my room at my parents' ever since I moved out just collecting dust with Boba Fett posed and putting Han on ice. I always assumed it was just a gimmicky dock set for my old Falcon.

I'm a bit disappointed that the ISD and SSD are retired (well, the ISD I remember is from 2002), and I would get the new Slave I if I didn't have the original model sitting beside my other old stuff. It's a gorgeous set but having a duplicate ship, no matter how much more well done and adult-oriented, doesn't sit well with me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Update on the Kreo USS Enterprise: gently caress. It looks really nice but it's a logistical nightmare that isn't apparent until you're putting it together. So many times it asks me to press enormous pieces down onto 10-20+ peg connections and they just won't fit properly. I cannot get the 'roof' pieces to fit on no matter how hard I try. The instructions actually tell you to build supports just so it's actually feasible to assemble the drat thing, and they still don't work all the time. The articulation on the Kreon figures, while appealing, makes it unnecessarily hard to actually fit them onto anything, because you have to keep realigning their wobbly little legs to get them to sit or stand. Also, the instructions call for stickers over multiple pieces.

The set is so close to being good but it really feels like nobody actually sat down and tried to assemble it before shipping it out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's what every single review about it said.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So I'm building the Detectives Office at the moment, which so far has been a fun build. When I opened it, I noticed that the printed 'The Highlander' clear panel had the writing a little bit scratched off. At first my thought was to write to Lego and get a replacement, but now I actually like it because it adds character as a dive bar. :)

I might mod the interior to make the pool table smaller and add a bar if I can.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms here. I ordered my Tower Bridge on the 11th and the order status is still 'at the warehouse'. Is that a normal timeframe?
Last time when I ordered a small set it arrived within 4 days.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

That's what every single review about it said.

Well, I see that now. At least I know it's not just a problem with mine or how I'm doing it. Either way, I got it for $20 so it was a good enough deal. If I had paid the full $80 for it I'd be kinda pissed, but at that price point it was worthwhile for an experiment. I can give it to my nephew when I get sick of it, anyway.

Hopper posted:

I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms here. I ordered my Tower Bridge on the 11th and the order status is still 'at the warehouse'. Is that a normal timeframe?
Last time when I ordered a small set it arrived within 4 days.

4 days is abnormally speedy in my experience. Usually it takes a good week or two for me.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any thoughts on the Jurassic World sets?

I saw it out in stores earlier this month,and I'm surprised no one is talking about them yet. I'm thinking of getting the raptor chase set, because it was the scenes I worked on in the movie and it's about time I get a lego set based on a film I worked on.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zodack posted:

So I'm getting back into LEGO now that I'm out of college and spending my money on the sets seems a bit more reasonable (looking at you, Slave I). Picked up the Hulkbuster Smash set from a local WalMart because it was surprisingly hard to find and I was glad to discover that clicking bricks together is just as fun as it was many years ago.

I also discovered that my complete Cloud City set with all the minifigs is apparently pretty collectible. It's been sitting in my room at my parents' ever since I moved out just collecting dust with Boba Fett posed and putting Han on ice. I always assumed it was just a gimmicky dock set for my old Falcon.

I'm a bit disappointed that the ISD and SSD are retired (well, the ISD I remember is from 2002), and I would get the new Slave I if I didn't have the original model sitting beside my other old stuff. It's a gorgeous set but having a duplicate ship, no matter how much more well done and adult-oriented, doesn't sit well with me.

Sell that cloud city! Sell and buy something good!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Big K of Justice posted:

I saw it out in stores earlier this month,and I'm surprised no one is talking about them yet. I'm thinking of getting the raptor chase set, because it was the scenes I worked on in the movie and it's about time I get a lego set based on a film I worked on.

Good reason, I would do that if I was in your position, as a cool memorabilia thing.
However, in general, with more and more licensed stuff coming out, I am getting more and more reluctant to buy anything. I know all my money will go into Dr. Who stuff and the Dimensions game and packs once they come out, but I just can't warm up to the myriads of money sinks they put out these days.
Since I don't play with the sets but rather display them, I look for nice looking models (like the tower bridge with its insane price that will go in a custom "frame" on my wall instead of an oil painting or some other expensive art) instead of kids toys. Therefore most of the sets are not very appealing to me. And the Jurassic worlds sets offer little in terms of visual appeal.

But that is just me.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 15, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just finished the Ecto-1, was a really fun build, the side windows are done pretty cleverly, overall a nice change of pace from all the star fighters I've been building. Although the proton packs were a huge pain the in the dick because it was like 10 steps of tiny pieces from un-numbered bags followed by a "do it again 3 more times."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now mod it so you can fit all four minifigs inside!

Lego 21108 - Ecto 1 mod. by Seth Graham, on Flickr

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

xzzy posted:

Now mod it so you can fit all four minifigs inside!

Lego 21108 - Ecto 1 mod. by Seth Graham, on Flickr

Are there actual instructions? Do I need extra parts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know of any instructions, and yeah there's a handful of extra parts in there.

My solution is kind of my own, I saw some pictures of someone else that had pulled it off but didn't post instructions so I used that as inspiration to come up with my own fix. The hardest part was getting the proton packs in the back, I had to completely redesign the chassis in the back.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Big K of Justice posted:

I got the one that has the two raptors and the big rear end truck. It's a pretty cool set, although not without its flaws.

The three figures are great and the raptors are awesome, although I'm not sure what the things on top of their heads are supposed to be. The truck is pretty sturdy and I love the giant tires it has.

However, the truck is very boxy and kinda ugly. Also, I've found that the attachment for the roof turret thing is unreliable.

It's a pretty neat set, but it's not fantastic and the only reason to buy it is for the raptors and the three minifigures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My one irk about Ecto-1 is that it's too wide for the Fire House door. :saddowns:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My one irk about Ecto-1 is that it's too wide for the Fire House door. :saddowns:

Bricklink the ghostbusters firehouse I linked a few pages back. :v:

LDD file is here:

http://www.swissgb.ch/lego-ghostbusters-hq-v2/

Only 5700 parts!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

Bricklink the ghostbusters firehouse I linked a few pages back. :v:

LDD file is here:

http://www.swissgb.ch/lego-ghostbusters-hq-v2/

Only 5700 parts!

Hmm, there's errors. In the films, sleeping quarters are on the top level, and the pool table is next to the kitchen.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sell that cloud city! Sell and buy something good!

The minifigs or the set itself? I can't even begin to imagine the logistics of selling a set unless it entails taking the set completely apart. I definitely do not have the instruction manual either. I'd probably botch shipping it safely, too. It is a pretty bad set in and of itself, although having a landing pad for my old Falcon is kind of nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's pretty easy to sell legos, even pristine ones people are buying specifically due to them being in good condition. Just put the pieces in a few ziploc bags, flatten it out, bubblewrap the poo poo outta them, and put them in a sturdy box. Blammo.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

You don't even need to take it completely apart. My ebay buys tend to be 50/50 disassembled/partially assembled, with the kit broken down into a few smaller chunks. Some of the better ones even separate out trans or printed pieces and minifigs.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Oh god I just noticed there's a green arrow mini figure in one of the superman sets. Goodbye 70 bucks :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mini figures are dangerous. I didn't even care about them until they started piling up and now I know I'm probably going to buy that new Vader set that isn't even cool just for little guys in it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Mini figures are dangerous. I didn't even care about them until they started piling up and now I know I'm probably going to buy that new Vader set that isn't even cool just for little guys in it.

I just dropped a hundred bucks on BrickLink getting every Iron Man fig minus the stupid expensive one, including Iron Patriot and War Machine.

Very dangerous. Now I want Nova and Dr. Doom.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Yeah I checked on eBay and the arrow figure is going for 15-18 bucks. I can't justify that on a minifigure but 70 bucks for the set he's in seems like a better option.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

I have a new emperor from that book and like a couple Jedi Lukes but I need that new Vader (insert "but she's got a new hat" joke)

Zodack posted:

I just dropped a hundred bucks on BrickLink getting every Iron Man fig minus the stupid expensive one, including Iron Patriot and War Machine.

Stupid expensive one you say? I think I have all of the ones you mentioned, I even got the iron man 3 mandarin's go kart set on severe discount to get the heartbreaker.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Finally found Simpsons at 2 Targets, only need Selma now. Anyone have a spare, I have a bunch to trade before I return them. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I have it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dogen posted:

Stupid expensive one you say? I think I have all of the ones you mentioned, I even got the iron man 3 mandarin's go kart set on severe discount to get the heartbreaker.

I was referring to the 2012 Toy Fair Iron Man minifig, which goes for upwards of 2-3 grand on BrickLink.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I figured it was something like that, or one made of some precious metal.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I have the Super Star Destroyer set and am probably looking to sell it soon. Does anyone have any ideas for how I might go about taking it apart and rebagging the parts? I'd love to sort them back into the original numbered bags but boy does that sound like a pain.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

DrChud posted:

Finally found Simpsons at 2 Targets, only need Selma now. Anyone have a spare, I have a bunch to trade before I return them. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I have it.

Would you sell any extras you have? I still need like 10 from the new set.

Also, probably a long shot but if anyone has an extra Milhouse from the first simpsons series I'd love to buy it as it's the only one I missed from that set.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 16, 2015

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

AllisonByProxy posted:

I have the Super Star Destroyer set and am probably looking to sell it soon. Does anyone have any ideas for how I might go about taking it apart and rebagging the parts? I'd love to sort them back into the original numbered bags but boy does that sound like a pain.

Do the instructions, but in reverse. That's what I did to re-number-bag the vampire castle. Hell of an effort though

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

Would you sell any extras you have? I still need like 10 from the new set.

Also, probably a long shot but if anyone has an extra Milhouse from the first simpsons series I'd love to buy it as it's the only one I missed from that set.

If you want email me at doktorchud at gmail.com and I can see If I have any of the ones you need when I get some from work. I also have an extra series 1 Milhouse:)

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

AllisonByProxy posted:

What do these sets go for these days? Ebay prices are wildly fluctuating, but it's one of my biggest regrets that it came out before I had lego money to spend.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Do the instructions, but in reverse. That's what I did to re-number-bag the vampire castle. Hell of an effort though

This is what I was afraid of.

DrChud posted:

If you want email me and I can see If I have any of the ones you need when I get some from work. I also have an extra series 1 Milhouse:)

Email sent!

SuperSpiff posted:

What do these sets go for these days? Ebay prices are wildly fluctuating, but it's one of my biggest regrets that it came out before I had lego money to spend.

I'm not even sure. I was hoping to get enough to cover the 2 Simpsons sets, maybe a little more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm not even sure. I was hoping to get enough to cover the 2 Simpsons sets, maybe a little more.

Pretty sure it's around $7-800 assuming you have the box and everything.

Honestly I'd just throw it in bags separated by size or sell it locally and keep it assembled.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Saw this thing from a couple of pages back at a retro games convention today, it seems to kick all kinds of rear end but was locked up behind glass.

Also I had no idea the older ISD was that affordable still. Very happy with the new one though, the exterior is almost spot on. The stickers wee terrible though, I thought Lego had moved away from the kind they shipped with e.g the Falcon. They peel off all on their own.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Pretty sure it's around $7-800 assuming you have the box and everything.

Honestly I'd just throw it in bags separated by size or sell it locally and keep it assembled.

The SSD hasn't been long out of production, so its value hasn't really shot up. Bricklink's putting it around $500-600 used, $500-800 new-in-box. Current BL listings are $700-1800 NIB, $500 incomplete used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Welp, Walmart had some Simpsons minifigs so I figured I'd grab some. Didn't really bother/know what to look for with a feel test so I grabbed 10, only ended up with duplicates of Homer and Milhouse, so that seems good.

Also, what does the VIP points stuff on the lego site get you? I'm still eyeballing the Red 5 for awhile, but I've heard I might want to wait till they do a double VIP points event or something?