Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Also throw pillows, Afghans, and good drapery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Oh poo poo, I forgot that people sell slipcovers for IKEA couches.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We just got hosed over by my landlord and I'm wondering if I have any legal recourse to at least negotiate out of paying two extra months of rent.

Backstory: We moved in to this apartment in 2009. The furnace had been installed backwards for some reason, so the back of it was accessible through the little furnace closet. To access the front of it, where you change the filters and inspect it and such, you had to clear out part of the bedroom closet, remove a thin wood panel from the wall (since they'd made a large hole in the wall to be able to access the heater), and then check it out. Extremely inconvenient.

And, it turns out, dangerous. We had a "five year inspection" last month (odd how it was the first HVAC inspection we've had since we moved in six years ago) and they said that it was a fire hazard to have all those clothes right there next to the furnace. So they shut it off. Furnace, air conditioner, fan, all off. Fortunately April in Iowa is mild, so we haven't felt it too bad, but.

It encouraged us to finally move the hell out and we found a house. I went in at 4pm today to deliver notice. Whoops! Have to do it by noon on the last day or it's an extra month! Make that two months - you have to give two months notice. So we're now financially obligated to rent this shithole until July 31.

What irks me is that, according to the city, we've been living in a fire hazard for six years. And obviously the landlord knew because it's not like *we* installed this furnace. Is there any way of me parlaying this into a legal threat that can get me out of that last bullshit two months of rent? We will be out by May 31, and I'd love to just say, "You don't ask for that two months of rent and we don't sue you."

Certainly we'll have more ammo if they don't get it repaired by the time it starts getting hot, but all I want to do is just sever cleanly at this point, and this is the best grounds for doing it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

We just got hosed over by my landlord and I'm wondering if I have any legal recourse to at least negotiate out of paying two extra months of rent.

Backstory: We moved in to this apartment in 2009. The furnace had been installed backwards for some reason, so the back of it was accessible through the little furnace closet. To access the front of it, where you change the filters and inspect it and such, you had to clear out part of the bedroom closet, remove a thin wood panel from the wall (since they'd made a large hole in the wall to be able to access the heater), and then check it out. Extremely inconvenient.

And, it turns out, dangerous. We had a "five year inspection" last month (odd how it was the first HVAC inspection we've had since we moved in six years ago) and they said that it was a fire hazard to have all those clothes right there next to the furnace. So they shut it off. Furnace, air conditioner, fan, all off. Fortunately April in Iowa is mild, so we haven't felt it too bad, but.

It encouraged us to finally move the hell out and we found a house. I went in at 4pm today to deliver notice. Whoops! Have to do it by noon on the last day or it's an extra month! Make that two months - you have to give two months notice. So we're now financially obligated to rent this shithole until July 31.

What irks me is that, according to the city, we've been living in a fire hazard for six years. And obviously the landlord knew because it's not like *we* installed this furnace. Is there any way of me parlaying this into a legal threat that can get me out of that last bullshit two months of rent? We will be out by May 31, and I'd love to just say, "You don't ask for that two months of rent and we don't sue you."

Certainly we'll have more ammo if they don't get it repaired by the time it starts getting hot, but all I want to do is just sever cleanly at this point, and this is the best grounds for doing it.

What does your lease say about notice?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Thanatosian posted:

What does your lease say about notice?

They're right about that, I had to give notice by noon today or it counts as next month, and notice has to be two months.

I want to get out of that because their poor maintenance has caused both a fire hazard and a lack of comfortable living. I basically want to know if I have a case and if so just use that to get out of the drat thing.

I can still call it getting hosed over if it's still letter-of-the-lease, due to the reason we're leaving.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Laws in your state will vary, as well as any possible local regulations, but at least in Minnesota I think there's basically something like a de facto eviction, which basically says that by not keeping the apartment in a habitable condition then the landlord is breaking the lease.

Now of course the law and reality are vastly different things. You could start by just talking to the Landlord and asking nicely (this actually worked for me!). If that doesn't work you could see if you can find some resources in your state/area that can get you free/cheap legal advice to know if there's a way you can get out of the lease. If you know you legally can then you can threaten legal action and if that doesn't work actually go through legal action.

But if asking nicely doesn't work you'll have to find some local counsel that knows about these things.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I googled "iowa tenants rights"

http://www.iowalegalaid.org/resource/summary-of-iowa-landlord-and-tenant-law

quote:

In most cases, the duties of the landlord include:
Follow building and housing codes that affect health and safety in an important way;
Make repairs to keep the house or apartment in a fit and livable condition;
Supply hot and cold running water and heat, unless the tenant pays the utility company directly, and the water heater and furnace are under the tenant's control;
If a landlord fails to perform some of his or her important duties, the tenant may end the agreement by giving a proper written notice. The length of time in the notice depends on what has happened. In some cases, the tenant must give the landlord a chance to fix the problem(s). Sometimes the tenant can make repairs and deduct the cost from rent owed to the landlord. Very specific steps must be taken to end an agreement or withhold rent. A tenant should also consider contacting the Housing Inspector if a landlord fails to make necessary repairs and maintain the house or apartment. Some cities have ordinances that require the tenant to give the landlord the written notice to fix the problem (s) before the Housing Inspector will inspect the home, except in the case of an emergency.

If you're going to threaten to sue, you should talk to a real lawyer first. I would think the five year HVAC being done once in the six years you've lived there would be an issue on its own.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Golbez posted:

I want to get out of that because their poor maintenance has caused both a fire hazard and a lack of comfortable living. I basically want to know if I have a case and if so just use that to get out of the drat thing.

I can still call it getting hosed over if it's still letter-of-the-lease, due to the reason we're leaving.
If you're on a periodic tenancy (paying rent once a month) it may not be legal to require more than one period (month) notice to end tenancy. You can look into it.

The HVAC thing doesn't sound like much of a fire hazard to me, but if it's against code and whatever inspector/technician came in and found it this way turned it off, you can ask them to remedy it (which they should comply). Sounds like something stupid that should cost a small fortune to fix, so at least there's that. If they don't fix it you could potentially break the lease, but it doesn't sound like you're in a lease, it sounds like you're in a month to month agreement.

The noon vs 4pm thing is a great big crock of poo poo, I mean, letter of the lease and all, but... still, frustrating.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GenericGirlName posted:

Also I think this is a hilarious stance for you to take when you don't even know what neighborhood you currently live in in Queens. :lol: (by the way just walk into the nearest subway station and the big zoomed in map on the wall will tell you)

You seem... upset :v:

I'm at the Flushing Library and there's always people looking for extra PCs but will ask anyways. The sign said Main St: Flushing and so I said I lived there? Thanks

Welp, change of plans I'm actually going to stay w/relatives instead for awhile so I can hold off furnishing items. I may check CL time to time as I do love random free stuff (who doesn't).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I'm at the Flushing Library and there's always people looking for extra PCs but will ask anyways. The sign said Main St: Flushing and so I said I lived there? Thanks

Welp, change of plans I'm actually going to stay w/relatives instead for awhile so I can hold off furnishing items. I may check CL time to time as I do love random free stuff (who doesn't).
I'm relieved this worked out for you and also kind of sad that we don't get the schadenfreude of watching this train wreck.

Xandu posted:

New York is going to eat you alive.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Defenestration posted:

I'm relieved this worked out for you and also kind of sad that we don't get the schadenfreude of watching this train wreck.

Right, because watching someone try and fail to get on their feet after being homeless is hilarious.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

AuntBuck posted:

Right, because watching someone try and fail to get on their feet after being homeless is hilarious.

so is this your first time on the forums or

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I do actually think it'd be hilarious but there's a difference between watching anonymous strangers gently caress up, like in the schadenfreude thread where people (mostly) willingly post that stuff, and actually wishing that on someone personally. If you don't understand that, that's cool.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

ladyweapon posted:

Not related to your original question, but I have had a life long phobia of airplanes and flying to the point that for most of my life I couldn't even be in an airport without feeling sick. I flew for the first time over Christmas at 28 years old and it was the most underwhelming experience of my life. A couple things helped: 1) I was flying with my s/o who has flown extensively, 2) I flew first class, 3) I watched a bunch of youtube videos of normal take offs/landings, 4) I looked up statistics on crashes for Boeing (ymmv) 5) ativan. Option #2 was only feasible because SF to Portland first class was $25 extra, after bag check fees, for a 90 minute flight.

The worst part of the flight was take off when I felt a little queasy, but I also get motion sick in cars so it wasn't an unusual thing. I am so peeved it took me this long to get over flying because once I did actually do it, it became a complete nonissue. I took greyhound back (because I didnt know how I'd handle the flight to SF) and being on a greyhound for that amount of time was more than enough to kill of any fear I had left about flying. On my second flight I actually managed to fly all by myself. :)

Hey, it's not moving related, but I wanted to let you know that I flew (twice!) and it wasn't bad at all! I'm glad I had medicine to keep from spiraling into the panic loop, which made it enjoyable and made my whole perception of flying SO MUCH less scary! And landing is really, really cool :)

Also delta flight attendants are super nice if you let them know it's your first time and you're scared.

It definitely makes us flying to Santa Rosa instead of driving doable, but we may opt for driving just because of cost/not having to ship a car or rent one for a while.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

It definitely makes us flying to Santa Rosa instead of driving doable, but we may opt for driving just because of cost/not having to ship a car or rent one for a while.

Driving cross country is really cool and this is probably a good time of year for it. I drove from Orlando to Seattle last July and it was awesome. We got really lucky with the weather and drove through Denver, the Rocky Mountains, Salt Lake City, and stopped at Yellowstone as well. I was also the driver for the whole thing too and I would still do it again. Plan a cool route that takes you through interesting places and find nice places to stop and eat at or things to see.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Alder posted:

So... You didn't see the irony in you not knowing what neighborhood you live in but are upset that other people don't know the technical region of a place they've never been to let alone lived in?

Yea you do that, as others have said, New York will eat you alive.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
We have some large furniture that we don't want to take with us when we move. What should we do with that? Landlord wouldn't like if it we just left them here (not that I much care what they like anymore), and can't haul them to the dumpster, both because they don't want furniture there and also because some of this stuff is too large to really do that.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Golbez posted:

We have some large furniture that we don't want to take with us when we move. What should we do with that? Landlord wouldn't like if it we just left them here (not that I much care what they like anymore), and can't haul them to the dumpster, both because they don't want furniture there and also because some of this stuff is too large to really do that.

Try and sell it on craigslist? You might be able to get a few bucks. Otherwise take them to the dump yourselves or find a company that might be able to come pick it up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Transmogrifier posted:

Try and sell it on craigslist? You might be able to get a few bucks. Otherwise take them to the dump yourselves or find a company that might be able to come pick it up.

The more time you have, the better an option this is. If you have little or no time, try giving it away.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

Some charity organizations will come and pick up donations like furniture. I'm pretty sure the landlord can bill you for having to remove anything you leave behind.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Has anyone ever moved cross-border (particularly from Canada to the US)? Any suggestions, hints on how the hell to do it, etc?

We'll likely have to try to find a moving company because I'm driving a car from PEI to LA that would not do too well with a trailer of poo poo behind it. I have no idea how customs works for the few items we'll actually be shipping.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Golbez posted:

If selling it/giving it away on Craigslist and donating it don't pan out, there are always a multitude of junk haulers on Craigslist who'll take it away for you for about $50 or so.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I need advice and information, I'll give you the short short no bullshit version.

We are getting evicted.

Not because we're not paying our bills or because we're causing trouble or anything, fact is the complex suddenly wanted to remove my roommates from the property who have been living here for six months. They claim it's because of their credit score, but simply put one of them has a credit score above 500 and the other has no score at all. The complex claims I have over 600. They also claim both my roommates are below 300. Keep in mind I also show no credit score on any free report websites. I'm not sure how accurate they are. Now they have been living here for six months without anyone saying anything, but suddenly we started getting hit with lease violation notices left and right conveniently around the time the maintenance guy found out they were gay. One of the lease violations stated they have to be on the lease to live here, so they applied and were denied. Long story short they have 14 days. Meanwhile, if they get evicted I'm going to have a hard time paying all of these bills by myself. Right now I'm only making about 500-700 bucks a month; when I got the lease I was making over 1500 and could afford it just fine, but when I lost my job I got these guys to move in and help. Our total combined bills would be more than I make by myself so I'm going to end up getting evicted either way unless I can somehow get out of my lease, which if I cancel now I'll still have to pay the remainder of ($1635) and I'm not sure how long I would have to pay that off. I've filed a claim with the Tennessee ACLU and am currently researching local legal representation. I'd like further advice though.

What are our options? What can we do? What should we do?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most communities will require that all adults living there be on the lease. They can set their own criteria for qualifying, but must apply it equally to all. It's tough to say whether or not they are doing that here. Furthermore, fair housing laws don't include sexual orientation as a protected class, so even if they are denying them because they're gay, it may technically be legal (depending on other laws of course).

I'd ask the complex to see the credit reports they pulled to at least make them prove they don't meet the standard. I'd also ask for written confirmation of what that standard is.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sorry, just to be clear here, is this the proper breakdown of events?:

1) You rented an apartment
2) Your income dropped so you couldn't cover the rent
3) You found some people to move in and pay rent so you could cover the amount
4) The management company found out about those people and wanted them added to the lease
5) They failed the application to be added to the lease
6) Management wants them to leave the apartment

Does that seem right? I realize there is also the thing about the maintenance guy realizing they were gay in there, but unless it is substantiated in some way it doesn't seem meaningful. So there are a couple questions here:

1) What does your lease say about subletting the apartment?
2) Were the new people paying rent to you, or directly to the complex?
3) Did the complex know they had moved in? Did you inform anyone? Have they interacted with the complex in any way prior to this situation?
4) What are the other lease violations you have received? Did those claims have merit?

If your lease doesn't permit you to sublet the apartment and you did it anyway and never informed the management, well, you're going to be in violation of the lease and they'll be within their rights to evict you just on that basis. If management had previously accepted or acknowledged them as tenants and then jumped in with this requirement later, you might have some traction, but without a lease they can probably just given them a 30 notice to quit anyway.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd ask the complex to see the credit reports they pulled to at least make them prove they don't meet the standard. I'd also ask for written confirmation of what that standard is.

We actually tried, part of the reason why I'm escalating this to a civil rights issue. We were blatantly told they can't actually see the consumer report because it's confidential, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. But that's why I'm here.

Ashcans posted:

Sorry, just to be clear here, is this the proper breakdown of events?:

1) You rented an apartment
2) Your income dropped so you couldn't cover the rent
3) You found some people to move in and pay rent so you could cover the amount
4) The management company found out about those people and wanted them added to the lease
5) They failed the application to be added to the lease
6) Management wants them to leave the apartment

Does that seem right? I realize there is also the thing about the maintenance guy realizing they were gay in there, but unless it is substantiated in some way it doesn't seem meaningful. So there are a couple questions here:

1) What does your lease say about subletting the apartment?
2) Were the new people paying rent to you, or directly to the complex?
3) Did the complex know they had moved in? Did you inform anyone? Have they interacted with the complex in any way prior to this situation?
4) What are the other lease violations you have received? Did those claims have merit?

If your lease doesn't permit you to sublet the apartment and you did it anyway and never informed the management, well, you're going to be in violation of the lease and they'll be within their rights to evict you just on that basis. If management had previously accepted or acknowledged them as tenants and then jumped in with this requirement later, you might have some traction, but without a lease they can probably just given them a 30 notice to quit anyway.

Here is a full breakdown of the events

1) I rented an apartment here at this location; I picked this location because I have been coming here for three years with my job as one of the laundry guys. I know the staff, I know the community. It was, at the time, a great place. I pass a credit check and everything just fine. I move in half way through September for a one year lease. While it is listed in the lease itself says that people cannot stay there longer than seven days, it does not say they have to be added to the lease. It does say their names have to be on the lease even if they don't sign on. At the time I didn't ask about it because at the time I wasn't getting roommates. They never said anything about it, and I didn't know two months later that I was going to get roommates.
2) My income dropped because I was terminated in November and I have to get roommates to finish off my lease. I don't know about the supposed "have to sign up" issue, and by this point have forgotten about the part where it says they have to be listed even if they don't sign. I figured at the time if there was an issue someone would say something to me and I would take care of it then.
3) The roommates move in to help with bills; in the mean time I'm paying rent and bills by myself with my severance pay. They get jobs and start helping with the bills in December. However, before then...
4) Later that month a pipe bursts in our building flooding the bathrooms and kitchens of mine and my neighbor's apartments. Maintenance comes in to fix the issue, and this is an on going process that takes several weeks. Over two weeks of this process involved us having to use another apartment on the other side of the complex for showers and peeing and pooping. The maintenance team, landlords, plumbers, concrete company, flooring company, painters, pest control, and three neighbors now all know that not only are these people living here but now they have been living here for over a month.
5) Maintenance returns several times over the next six months to check the pipe to see if it burst again, to fix a sliding glass door that had a broken lock, to inspect our smoke detectors, and to change the filter on the central heat and air. Again, roommates are not only there and obviously living there but talking to these gentlemen. I don't keep that they live there a secret. I assume everything is fine.
6) At this point I now have two jobs, and both my roommates have jobs. We're doing alright, not great, but the bills are getting paid and there are no late fees. Roommates are annoying as hell, but we're managing. Until the fridge breaks.
7) Maintenance shows up to fix fridge. There are a bunch of cardboard boxes in the floor that one roommate had been storing in his room and he moved them out to make room. When the maintenance guy comes in I point out the cardboard and let him know it will be cleaned in the afternoon as soon as said roommate wakes up. He says it's fine and begins working on the fridge. He asks about when we noticed the fridge was out and I pointed out I wasn't the one who noticed, they did, and I can't ask them because they're in bed. He suddenly closes everything up, says he fixed the fridge, and leaves. I'm already suspicious, but I try not to judge.
8) Obviously the fridge wasn't fixed. I go to the maintenance workshop to let them know. Maintenance guy who was in there the day before is talking to one of the landlords, so I go to talk to the other guy. I don't enter the workshop. Maintenance guy 1 suddenly starts yelling at me in a very angry tone of voice, which he has never done before in the past three years. I simply explain I didn't want to bother him, I wasn't going in the shop, and I just wanted to report that my fridge was still malfunctioning. He proceeds to say I have the vents in the freezer covered up and that's the problem, rather than coming and looking at it. I point out he knows for a fact (cause he was there yesterday) that there was nothing in my freezer except two empty ice trays and some burritos in the door, none of which was anywhere near the vents he spoke of. He tells me to double check and to quit bothering him about it. I leave, confused and upset, but not worrying about it.
9) We receive the first notice a few hours later for "poor housekeeping and excessive clutter." I assume it's about the cardboard boxes. It goes on to say we also had food out and it was attracting bugs which was not true. I simply figure this is just the maintenance guy being a dick because I challenged his authority and not because my roommates are gay. I'm trying to play devil's advocate with myself.
10) We receive the second notice, "Unauthorized Occupants." It states anyone over 18 who lives in this apartment must be on the lease. Lease paperwork seems to say differently, but okay. I'll play ball. However, I have to wonder how come this is the first time they have said anything about them living there after six months of them not just being there, but the complex knowing they live there. We make a plan to apply on monday.
11) On monday they apply, it costs $25 each. I assume it's no big deal, as I guess they just need to run a credit check for deposit purposes since it is my lease. They fill out all the information and we leave. I go to get the $50 in a money order to pay for the applications and they go to sleep, cause they work thirds. I'm asked to make sure they come back in later to sign some additional things and I say okay and leave.
12) We go in this morning to finish the application process and are told they are denied due to poor credit score. They require a 400 or more, and cite mine as an example saying mine was over 600. Theirs is less than 300. I'm immediately confused because the credit score was exactly the same for both of them, which is possible but highly unlikely, especially since one of them upon applying was in the same boat I was: never had a bit of credit to their name in their entire life before applying. I notice that the company they use is NOT one of the three major credit reporting bureaus, so we make a plan to look up all of our credit scores. The one roommate with a credit history is showing a score of over 500 (which is over the 400 required) while his boyfriend and I are showing "No Credit Information On File" with all three major credit bureaus. He's outraged. I'm outraged. If the boyfriend and I don't have any credit information on file with Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion how in the hell can they say I have a 600+ credit score, but he only has one less than 300 if both of us have never had a credit card or anything in our name? I send the boyfriend back up to the office while I contact the ACLU, cause at this point I'm certain that this is because they're gay.
13) He comes back empty handed. They're not allowed to give out the consumer report they get from this company due to "confidentiality." Even though he was asking for his own report.

So nothing happens for seven months, then suddenly we're violating the lease, and apparently yeah we are but they had no problem with it until they found out the guys here are gay.

To answer your questions:
1. I can't find subletting in here at all, which I was thinking was what I was doing having them pay me and then I pay everything else.
2. They were paying to me and not the complex. I paid the complex. Everything is in my name. And up until this point I was 100% in good standing.
3. a. Yes. b. We didn't directly inform them, no, but they knew they were there and had moved in. c. Yes. Several times.
4. Only the trash one, which was a misnomer in my eyes due to the fact it was only a stack of folded up cardboard boxes that wasn't blocking anything and was thrown away about ten minutes after the maintenance guy left the apartment.

I spoke with someone about this over the phone and they pointed out that it's well within their legal right to do this, because Tennessee has no laws regarding this particular situation. However, we don't want to be here anymore because we do know that they're trying to have them evicted because they're gay. If it had to do with anything else there would be no issue just because of the fact they have been paying 2/3rds of the rent here no problem for six months. Why would it suddenly be a problem now? Again, they don't have a problem with ME being here, just them. That's hosed. They're actually trying to get me to stay because I told them I want to leave due to this and would like out of my lease and they're trying to convince me to stay. "Oh, your lease doesn't run out for another few months, you should totally stay! And renew!" And they're basically trying to get me to, I dunno, shut my roommates out of my life? It's weird to explain, you had to be there. It was Stepford scary.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
So my girlfriend and I signed a lease for a townhome, and gave a check for the security deposit. The landlord contacted me today and left a voicemail saying he had misplaced the security deposit check (we are set to move in 7/1)

I cancelled payment on the check, since I didn't feel great about having a rent check just being lost. Am I in the right for asking him to pay the cost for stopping payment on the check, considering he lost the check?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should ask him and he should pay it. I don't know that he's legally required to do so, but it's the right thing for him to do for sure

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

We actually tried, part of the reason why I'm escalating this to a civil rights issue. We were blatantly told they can't actually see the consumer report because it's confidential, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. But that's why I'm here.
They are legally forbidden from giving you a copy of the report. They are required to report to the credit bureau that they declined them due to credit, then the credit bureau is required to give you a free report. No one has to give you your score, and if you pay for one you may be paying for a different one than they purchased.

What you are experiencing is common and legal. You can't just move in a group of people and not have them apply and sign the lease, just like you applied and signed the lease. The gay thing is a nice piece of trivia, but not applicable here. (Which is not to say that the ACLU might not take the case, and/or that you might not win.)

I am approaching 10 years as a landlord, and every time anyone has told me they have "no credit", what they actually have is terrible credit. I have never, in 10 years, met someone who actually has no credit. ]To have never had a cell phone, car insurance, a checking account, a debit card, a credit card, a loan, or rented anything from anywhere is virtually impossible in this day and age. I assure you that both you and your no-credit friend both have plenty of credit history.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, while it may or may not be true that the key factor was a homophobic maintenance man, the fact was that management was either unaware of, or letting you skate by on, something that most landlords absolutely would not allow. When someone allows you to do something against your lease for half a year, and then says "Ok, no more of this," the correct response isn't "gently caress you, you gay-bashing piece of poo poo!" It's "I understand, thanks for letting me get by for so long outside my lease, it really helped me out during a tough time."

(That being said, your story does make it sound like an intolerance thing, so I wouldn't say you shouldn't contact the ACLU, but either way just be glad you got as far as you did with it, consider this a learning experience, and move on.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

They are legally forbidden from giving you a copy of the report. They are required to report to the credit bureau that they declined them due to credit, then the credit bureau is required to give you a free report. No one has to give you your score, and if you pay for one you may be paying for a different one than they purchased.

What you are experiencing is common and legal. You can't just move in a group of people and not have them apply and sign the lease, just like you applied and signed the lease. The gay thing is a nice piece of trivia, but not applicable here. (Which is not to say that the ACLU might not take the case, and/or that you might not win.)

I am approaching 10 years as a landlord, and every time anyone has told me they have "no credit", what they actually have is terrible credit. I have never, in 10 years, met someone who actually has no credit. ]To have never had a cell phone, car insurance, a checking account, a debit card, a credit card, a loan, or rented anything from anywhere is virtually impossible in this day and age. I assure you that both you and your no-credit friend both have plenty of credit history.

I see plenty of people in their early twenties with no credit. They've lived at home or college up until then, on mommy and daddy's cell phone plan with a hand me down car. It's not unusual, and we have a procedure for those with thin or no credit (extra deposit).

Edit: Also, to avoid potential fair housing claims you should have a written approval criteria. If you get a score returned you can share that score and what bureau it's from. An opaque application approval process is a potential fair housing flag.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 13, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

photomikey posted:

Cell phones, car insurance, checking accounts, debit accounts, utility bills, etc., don't establish or help your credit history. If any of those go to collections, obviously that hurts you, but if you pay them normally, they don't do anything.

KoB
May 1, 2009

photomikey posted:

Maybe youre being specific to where theyre from, but thats not true everywhere. In California if the Landlord pulls a credit report, they are legally obligated to give them a copy of it if asked.

Also Ive been running credit reports for only three years and have seen dozens of people with no credit. You must not give people in their early 20s a chance.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KoB posted:

Maybe youre being specific to where theyre from, but thats not true everywhere. In California if the Landlord pulls a credit report, they are legally obligated to give them a copy of it if asked.

Also Ive been running credit reports for only three years and have seen dozens of people with no credit. You must not give people in their early 20s a chance.

I am in California and TransUnion tells me that I cannot release the credit report, but that I must report whether I approve or decline them, and if I decline them based on information in the credit report, they are entitled to a free one from TransUnion.

My tenants are generally in their 20s, and I give everyone who applies a chance, as per fair housing guidelines.

I politely disagree with the previous poster who said a while list of credit functions don't affect credit history.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Anne Whateley posted:

Cell phones, car insurance, checking accounts, debit accounts, utility bills, etc., don't establish or help your credit history. If any of those go to collections, obviously that hurts you, but if you pay them normally, they don't do anything.

It's legit concerning that someone who's been a landlord for 10 years thinks regular debit card and checking account use builds credit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

photomikey posted:

I politely disagree with the previous poster who said a while list of credit functions don't affect credit history.

I assume you mean this:

Anne Whateley posted:

But none of the listed things are credit functions*, and will only be reported as a negative(collections, past due, etc). There may be a report you use that lists them(I wouldn't be surprised if there was, and it was causing all this confusion in the first place), but then it's not a credit report. If you don't believe me, pull your own credit report and see if any of that's on there.

*Except some utility bills. A few companies report all payment histories, but most only report negatives.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

So after months of searching we finally found a dude who will rent to us. The landlord is a relative's coworker whose mother died and it's her apartment. Price, flat and contract terms are "Ok" but it's definitely a "beggars can't be choosers" type solution for us. The apartment has some built-in furniture that is pretty old-fashioned and which I actively dislike. Now, two days before we're due to sign the contract, this dude decides that furniture is not part of what we're renting and we have to buy it off him and that he's still "thinking about" the price. The contract doesn't say anything either way.
We won't find anything else and would be apartment-less in 2 weeks if we walk away from him. We're also not planning on living there for more than a year (though we're not telling the landlord that).

What do we do? Money isn't too tight but I don't want to reward this dude for being sneaky about what we're actually renting.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If you can afford to buy cheap furniture, just tell him thanks but you actually aren't interested in buying the furniture.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The problem with that is that he might

- refuse to rent to us at all

- take the furniture out, which will take some time because he'll have to redo some floors and will force us to build a new kitchen for a flat we hope to leave in 6 months

- leave it as part of what we're renting or give it to us for free, but be angry at us and cause trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

pidan posted:

The problem with that is that he might

- refuse to rent to us at all

- take the furniture out, which will take some time because he'll have to redo some floors and will force us to build a new kitchen for a flat we hope to leave in 6 months

- leave it as part of what we're renting or give it to us for free, but be angry at us and cause trouble.

If he's that big of a baby, you probably don't want to rent from him in the first place.