Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Rollersnake posted:

First name: Jaelynn. Middle name: Zaelee.

Edit: I am seriously going to name my future child something like Henry or Ruth, but maybe normal, grandparent-sounding names will be back in style by then.

My kids are named Mary and Bruce, after my grandmother and my father respectively, and I have yet to meet any other kids with those names. I have met lots of Marias of all ages, and the Bruce's I've met are in their 50s or older - it used to be one of the most popular names in the US. I know lots of Christophers and Michaels and Jasons in their 40s, but I've only met one little kid names Jason. And Jennifers in their 30s and 40s are a dime a dozen, but I haven't met any little kids named Jennifer. I have met at least two Annistons, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: I am seriously going to name my future child something like Henry or Ruth, but maybe normal, grandparent-sounding names will be back in style by then.

Please don't name your children after candy bars :ohdear:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Rollersnake posted:

Give it a few years and kindergarten classes will be full of Dorothy, Anne, George, Margaret and Geoffrey.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Give it a few years and kindergarten classes will be full of Dorothy, Anne, George, Margaret and Geoffrey.

It seems "George" has been on the rise ever since the Royal Spawning, and I imagine "Charlotte" will now, too.

Which kinda sucks, as I've always liked the name Charlotte, but I wouldn't want my kid to have to be Charlotte W. in class. <-----------and this kind of thinking is exactly what propagated the names making up this thread.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

It seems "George" has been on the rise ever since the Royal Spawning, and I imagine "Charlotte" will now, too.

Which kinda sucks, as I've always liked the name Charlotte, but I wouldn't want my kid to have to be Charlotte W. in class. <-----------and this kind of thinking is exactly what propagated the names making up this thread.

Where I'm from, the name Charlotte never went out of fashion, so your kid would get that no matter what.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Rollersnake posted:

No.... anything but that.... NOT HENRY!!!!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Not any name in particular, but I find it pretty odd how if someone names their kid after themselves e.g. John Smith, Jr then apparently their wives also take on the ",Jr" as well, at least in formal settings.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

sout posted:

Not any name in particular, but I find it pretty odd how if someone names their kid after themselves e.g. John Smith, Jr then apparently their wives also take on the ",Jr" as well, at least in formal settings.

Haha what really?

Completely off topic, but it reminded me: as a DB admin there's nothing more infuriating that users filling out forms and including unwanted information in them. And you better believe that if a form on a website just gives you "first" and "last" name options your users are going to fill them with so much unnecessary bullshit that you'll want to blow your brains out when scrubbing the data.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Snorben. :stonk:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I lol'd, this is formatted perfectly.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Istari posted:

Where I'm from, the name Charlotte never went out of fashion, so your kid would get that no matter what.

I live in Charlotte, NC.

I don't think there are many girls named Charlotte around here (which is kind of a shame, it's a pretty name).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
On of the contestants on Wheel of Fortune yesterday was named G'NA.

My gf guessed it was pronounced Gina but it turned out to be a Jennay

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Haha what really?

It's a really old-fashioned way of referring to married couples. Doesn't just apply to guys named after their dads.

Dr. John Smith and his wife Mary would be Dr. & Mrs. John Smith, for example.

And it works the same for guys with a Jr. tacked on the end:

Mr. Thomas Long, Jr. and his wife Sarah would be Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Long, Jr.

You don't see it much anymore except from old people and in historic documents.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

VorpalBunny posted:

My kids are named Mary and Bruce, after my grandmother and my father respectively, and I have yet to meet any other kids with those names. I have met lots of Marias of all ages, and the Bruce's I've met are in their 50s or older - it used to be one of the most popular names in the US. I know lots of Christophers and Michaels and Jasons in their 40s, but I've only met one little kid names Jason. And Jennifers in their 30s and 40s are a dime a dozen, but I haven't met any little kids named Jennifer. I have met at least two Annistons, though.

I would imagine Avengers would up the Bruces in the world. Mary honestly surprises me. It's one of those names like "Jane" or "John" where it's considered super generic.

bringmyfishback posted:

I had this backfire with my kid. My (now ex) wife and I were huge b-movie fans, and liked the name Ash (from Evil Dead. We're nerds. Deal with it.) and went looking through name books for something Ash could be short for. Ashley is still too girly, despite being the case with the namesake, and Ashton would make everyone think we named him after Ashton Kutcher. So then we settled on Asher, because it was cool, it was different, and could be shortened to Ash (Ironically he at age 8 prefers the full name to the nickname.) Then, after he was born, suddenly we started seeing people named Asher everywhere. On TV, at playgrounds, in pictures in newspapers, etc etc. Apparently by chance we wound up with one of the hot "different" names of that year. I even found out later that a cousin of mine who had her son less than a year later named him the same thing, because apparently she'd always wanted a son with that name--to the point where she didn't tell her husband we already used the name, even though we're not at all close, until after the kid was born and named.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Junior is crap, the younger is where it's at.

Pipsies
Nov 14, 2014
Another preschooler who is doomed from the start

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Pipsies posted:

Another preschooler who is doomed from the start

Hello, I'm Wilford Brynlee, and I have diabetus.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Choco1980 posted:

I would imagine Avengers would up the Bruces in the world. Mary honestly surprises me. It's one of those names like "Jane" or "John" where it's considered super generic.

I had this backfire with my kid. My (now ex) wife and I were huge b-movie fans, and liked the name Ash (from Evil Dead. We're nerds. Deal with it.) and went looking through name books for something Ash could be short for. Ashley is still too girly, despite being the case with the namesake, and Ashton would make everyone think we named him after Ashton Kutcher. So then we settled on Asher, because it was cool, it was different, and could be shortened to Ash (Ironically he at age 8 prefers the full name to the nickname.) Then, after he was born, suddenly we started seeing people named Asher everywhere. On TV, at playgrounds, in pictures in newspapers, etc etc. Apparently by chance we wound up with one of the hot "different" names of that year. I even found out later that a cousin of mine who had her son less than a year later named him the same thing, because apparently she'd always wanted a son with that name--to the point where she didn't tell her husband we already used the name, even though we're not at all close, until after the kid was born and named.

One of the main characters in The Giver is named Asher, and since the mid-90s, that book's been a requisite in every middle school ever. It's not unlikely that kids who read it back in the 90s are having kids of their own now.

I always liked the name :shrug:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I really want to name my future son Walter but I don't think the probable father is at all jazzed about the name :smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

I really want to name my future son Walter but I don't think the probable father is at all jazzed about the name :smith:
Just tell him it's in honor of Breaking Bad.

That would convince me.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

hyperhazard posted:

One of the main characters in The Giver is named Asher, and since the mid-90s, that book's been a requisite in every middle school ever. It's not unlikely that kids who read it back in the 90s are having kids of their own now.

I always liked the name :shrug:

I always figured it was a Hebrew name. Every Asher I know is Jewish.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Male Tears posted:

I always figured it was a Hebrew name. Every Asher I know is Jewish.

That's the English derivation, I think. iirc the historical name was Ashur, but if you hopped on a boat to the promise of a new life in America in the 1800s, you probably didn't give a gently caress how the guy spelled or pronounced it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, according to the baby name book we used, it's Hebrew. Means "happy".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I think posting birth announcements from the Daily Prophet is cheating.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just because your parents named you Rupert means you should take it out on your kids

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Choco1980 posted:

My parents were going to name my sister Megan, and then changed their mind when they noticed that several people on base were doing the same. My sister had over ten friends named Megan in high school.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

My parents were going to name my sister Megan, and then changed their mind when they noticed that several people on base were doing the same. My sister had over ten friends named Megan in high school.

This is why I'm not named Caitlin like a lot of girls who were born in 1986. I ended up going to an all girls Catholic school for a year when I was 14 and so many of my upper middle class white classmates were named Caitlin, with every spelling you can imagine.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

There were a LOT of Jennifers in my classes growing up. This data point could probably be used to guess my age fairly accurately.

My kid's name is Alice, after her great-grandma, and we haven't yet run into another Alice in any of her classes. Oddly, people will hear "Alexis" or "Alex" before "Alice," so I end up having to add "like in Wonderland" if someone is writing her name down. :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Let's welcome little Reign Leif

No, not "Reign Layve", "Rain Leaf."

quote:

"I said if we have the baby out here we can call him 'Reign,' because it's raining, and 'Leif,' because there are leaves," he said.

:raise:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

KillerEggplant posted:

My kid's name is Alice, after her great-grandma, and we haven't yet run into another Alice in any of her classes. Oddly, people will hear "Alexis" or "Alex" before "Alice," so I end up having to add "like in Wonderland" if someone is writing her name down. :shrug:

I get a lot of stunned looks when Bruce and Mary give their names, I think the simplicity stuns people. Then I get a lot of "my Dad was named Bruce!" or "that was my aunt and uncle's names!"

I have friends with a boy named Teague, and other friends with a girl named Tegan, and my son gets confused when we talk about visiting them (they live in different cities).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jushila

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I made an appointment with a Lark a few years back.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

KillerEggplant posted:

There were a LOT of Jennifers in my classes growing up. This data point could probably be used to guess my age fairly accurately.

I'm an Alice, too!

I was born in 1977 and, like you, grew up surrounded by Jennifers. No one ever got my name right (they thought it was Allison), or if they did, they made Wonderland jokes. People who heard my name before meeting me would invariably tell me they'd expected "a little old lady."

Apparently it's getting popular again, which is very strange to me. :3:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Carb. Heard shouted at a small boy of eight or so on my bus to work this morning by his grandmother. It was definitely Carb, she said it about a dozen times.

Seriously, Carb? I can't even think what it would be a nickname for? He did not look like a child who ate a lot of starchy foods.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Irisi posted:

Carb. Heard shouted at a small boy of eight or so on my bus to work this morning by his grandmother. It was definitely Carb, she said it about a dozen times.

Seriously, Carb? I can't even think what it would be a nickname for? He did not look like a child who ate a lot of starchy foods.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Jew-Sheila?
Joo-shilla?
Jush-eela?

This one has me stumped!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just met a little girl called Maffia.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Katana. (not oriental)

These poor kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless