Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching! Eddie is accused of statutory rape. Hilarious!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-trophy/

Are the creepy episodes revolving around Eddie the show's way of trying to make him quit? Cause that 2 parter looked like it was really awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Equeen posted:

:stare: Never thought this show would (badly) tackle loving statutory rape.

Great video as always.

Thanks!

Technically they talked about rape in The One That Got Away, and there's a Nights episode where they handle a rape case. The worst offenders though are later eps where evil women folk accuse main characters of rape to get revenge. If false rape accusations happened as often in real life as they do on 90s TV then MRAs might have something to complain about.

PassTheRemote posted:

Are the creepy episodes revolving around Eddie the show's way of trying to make him quit? Cause that 2 parter looked like it was really awkward.

Maybe? The show's big draw around the time was the Eddie/Shauni relationship, which is why after they leave they just continually bring in Eddie and Shauni clones to do the same thing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Eww, that episode. Got to love their perv-cam on those alleged 15 year olds (I'm sure they were played by over 18s so that they could *legally* do the perv-cam) in their absurdly high cut and very uncomfortable looking swimming costumes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

The suicidal teen did a nice little acting job there. What a waste.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't really got the whole archetype of incompetent, douchebag Australian rival lifeguard in Baywatch. I can understand the douchebag thing but Australia does actually take lifeguards pretty drat seriously considering we get really bad rips, an incompetent one would be gone so quickly.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

HopperUK posted:

The suicidal teen did a nice little acting job there. What a waste.
Yeah she was actually a good actor, I was impressed with her.

Testekill posted:

I don't really got the whole archetype of incompetent, douchebag Australian rival lifeguard in Baywatch. I can understand the douchebag thing but Australia does actually take lifeguards pretty drat seriously considering we get really bad rips, an incompetent one would be gone so quickly.
And especially considering lifeguards in Australia are volunteers too. The Hawaii seasons were originally going to be in Australia, but last minute they weren't allowed to shoot there because locals thought they'd damage the ecosystem.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Miss Wallace posted:

The Hawaii seasons were originally going to be in Australia, but last minute they weren't allowed to shoot there because locals thought they'd damage the ecosystem.

Eh, its a good excuse as any.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

The punchline is, "Baywatch!"

No, but seriously, good god. :stare:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

And especially considering lifeguards in Australia are volunteers too. The Hawaii seasons were originally going to be in Australia, but last minute they weren't allowed to shoot there because locals thought they'd damage the ecosystem.

Eh, don't they know, no one in Australia takes anything seriously! We're just lying about being drunk all of the time?!? Even though if you put that stereotype of Australia together with the stereotype that everything in the country is going to give you a severe case of instant death, surely that would mean that all the non-indigenous Australians would be dead by now?
National stereotyping makes no sense.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I never heard the drunk stereotype, usually the stereotype I hear is like all Australians are rugged adventurers with boomerangs. Kangaroos, mate.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Every culture is stereotyped as being drunks basically. The only variance is the drink of choice.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Them ockers are too busy turning over their shrimps on the barbie and swilling their Four-Exes to save some yobbo from drowning.

Just call the flying doctors, she'll be right.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Tracula posted:

Every culture is stereotyped as being drunks basically. The only variance is the drink of choice.

Hmm, I don't think English people are stereotyped as being drunk. Or most Asian cultures or the middle east. Or even Italians or French. They drink, but they don't drink to get drunk.
Drunk stereotypes = Irish, Scottish, Russian, maybe Polish and sometimes Australian. Sometimes indigenous cultures are thrown in as well.

Miss Wallace posted:

I never heard the drunk stereotype, usually the stereotype I hear is like all Australians are rugged adventurers with boomerangs. Kangaroos, mate.

Maybe us being drunk is an internal stereotype? Like...there's an actual culture of drinking here, binge drinking especially. The six o'clock swill was held up as an example of Australia's drunkenness and love of beer. We also didn't really have prohibition here (not that having prohibition makes you not-drunk, the opposite really) except for a short stint in my home territory, the ACT, organised by this guy called King O'Malley. Now there's a pub named after him.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Testekill posted:

Seriously enough that lifeguards are in the National Sports Hall of Fame.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Marge Simpson: "I'd like some coffee."
Australian Bartender: "Beer?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
English don't have a drunk stereotype?
Football hooligans. Or Chavs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think it is actually directly related to Australia's out doorsy perception, that people think of them as heavy drinkers. In America and a few other places it's assumed if you live in a rural environment you're a drunk. Hence why so many white minority groups in America are assumed to be drunks. Appalachians are getting drunk off tree-bark moonshine made in their backyard stills, Midwest farmers are constantly drinking between murder suicides, trailer park dwellers are spending all their unemployment on booze, and southern yokels only survive their drunk driving by virtue of being the only ones on the road.

Also as for the Italians and French I've heard plenty of Americans characterize them as perpetual drunks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it is actually directly related to Australia's out doorsy perception, that people think of them as heavy drinkers. In America and a few other places it's assumed if you live in a rural environment you're a drunk. Hence why so many white minority groups in America are assumed to be drunks. Appalachians are getting drunk off tree-bark moonshine made in their backyard stills, Midwest farmers are constantly drinking between murder suicides, trailer park dwellers are spending all their unemployment on booze, and southern yokels only survive their drunk driving by virtue of being the only ones on the road.

Also as for the Italians and French I've heard plenty of Americans characterize them as perpetual drunks.

That's just really, really off-base about heavily-drunk Aussies. They only live as far out as the outer suburbs .

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's just really, really off-base about heavily-drunk Aussies. They only live as far out as the outer suburbs .

Okay my bad. I don't know enough about Aussie stereotypes then. I naturally for an American assumed there was nothing but vast outback and urban Sydney.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Okay my bad. I don't know enough about Aussie stereotypes then. I naturally for an American assumed there was nothing but vast outback and urban Sydney.

It goes City, Nice Suburbs (all the old historic/expensive houses), Suburbs, Outer Suburbs, Outback.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only Australian I met was from Tasmania and he drank like a motherfucker.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

And the next Baywatching: If Looks Could Kill, wherein Mitch falls in love with a murderer.
http://phelous.com/2015/05/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-if-looks-could-kill/

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miss Wallace posted:

And the next Baywatching: If Looks Could Kill, wherein Mitch falls in love with a murderer.
http://phelous.com/2015/05/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-if-looks-could-kill/

Baywatching has really given me a new found appreciation of a show I did my best to ignore when it was on the telly when I was a kid. I thought it was just a silly feel good show but now I know it was crammed with gang violence, death and rape as a plotpoint. So it paradoxically manages to be so much less/more. Thank you Lupa for enlightening me.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Always happy to spread the love!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
This actually posted a few days ago, but I did a countdown of the Top Ten Legend of Zelda Songs, which was a mighty challenge, let me tell you. Viewer poll is also open on that so you can vote for your favorites! :)

On a more anime note, we finally did a Fate/Zero podcast on ANN. It's 2.5 whole hours of me, Zac, and our Type-Moonie guest discussing the only really good most acclaimed entry in the Fate franchise, with all its nooks, crannies, and heavy-rear end themes.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

This show is amazing.

I feel that the Hoff's role in Sharknado 3 will not live up to the Baywatch craziness. My only hope is that he is still playing Mitch Von Malibu, making Ian Zering either Hobie 1 or 2.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jay O posted:

This actually posted a few days ago, but I did a countdown of the Top Ten Legend of Zelda Songs, which was a mighty challenge, let me tell you. Viewer poll is also open on that so you can vote for your favorites! :)

On a more anime note, we finally did a Fate/Zero podcast on ANN. It's 2.5 whole hours of me, Zac, and our Type-Moonie guest discussing the only really good most acclaimed entry in the Fate franchise, with all its nooks, crannies, and heavy-rear end themes.

That was a lot of fun, thanks! I squealed when I saw number 1 as that is also my favorite!!!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

That's a reasonable starting point, but like Neddy Seagoon says, the stereotype of the drunk bogan is probably more something of the outer suburbs. Outer suburbs are where people stereotyped as "deros" (derelicts) would live - Damo and Darren at the Station is a pretty good example of the stereotype.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Jay O you mentioned awhile back in the thread how economic issues led to anime companies making stuff targeted at a female audience/marketed in news ways. Have you written any columns on that? I mentioned it to a friend and they were interested in how that played out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jay O posted:

Dark World in LttP, Dragon Roost and Great Sea in Wind Waker, Midna's Desperate Hour in TP, and Forest Temple in OoT are all songs I would have put on the list over some of the other choices. Also, not even having the Forest Temple theme as a checkbox choice makes me sad.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Arcsquad12 posted:

English don't have a drunk stereotype?
Football hooligans. Or Chavs.

The French have us down pretty well.

(it's "Who wants/needs the English in Europe?" or thereabouts, for anyone wondering.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only Australian I met was from Tasmania and he drank like a motherfucker.

Because there's nothing to do in Tasmania. It's almost as bad as when I went to Canberra.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Great Baywatching episode...but what was the sketch/piece of paper that flew over Eddie's face? Did I miss something?

Testekill posted:

Because there's nothing to do in Tasmania. It's almost as bad as when I went to Canberra.

Hey! Canberra is where it's at!

Oh who am I kidding, Canberra is not where it's at. But it has its advantages. Very pretty city, and while it's cold as a bastard in winter it's beautifully sunny and clear.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I guess Mike Jeavons got tired of reviewing lovely tabletop/board games and decided to kickstart his own. Unfortunately it just doesn't look very good imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGw2YoQPLg

Looks like a blander, less funny, more complicated cards against humanity

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Great Baywatching episode...but what was the sketch/piece of paper that flew over Eddie's face? Did I miss something?

It was supposed to be a newspaper. Terrible drawing on my part, sorry!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FirstAidKite posted:

I guess Mike Jeavons got tired of reviewing lovely tabletop/board games and decided to kickstart his own. Unfortunately it just doesn't look very good imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGw2YoQPLg

Looks like a blander, less funny, more complicated cards against humanity

Eh, it seems cute to me. I don't think it'd kickstart it but I think the idea could be fun enough given the right friends.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Somebody (good) has reviewed the '80s Superboy show, right? If not, it's a missed opportunity, because this is amazing :allears:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 16, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baywatching: Reunion (Again). Mitch goes to his high school reunion and gets bullied!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/16/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-reunion-again/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hey! Canberra is where it's at!

Oh who am I kidding, Canberra is not where it's at. But it has its advantages. Very pretty city, and while it's cold as a bastard in winter it's beautifully sunny and clear.

Canberra is a hellish pit full of bloodsucking vermin. It's also built on a swamp and riddled with mosquitoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

Baywatching: Reunion (Again). Mitch goes to his high school reunion and gets bullied!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/16/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-reunion-again/

Hooray! Do you ever spot something during an episode that's so amazing it needs to go in the title sequence? Or have you seen it all already?

• Locked thread