Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

that aside it honestly looks p interesting

I asked the guy at Radioshack if they sold monad transistors and he told me maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fidel sarcastro posted:

same except common lisp.

unfortunately, i haven't seen a shop here using anything but php.

i'm not sure common lisp jobs even exist

whatever clojure's shortcomings as a JVM polyfill for CL fans, at least it is a skill you can sell for money

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could have taken the question paper away because drat lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure common lisp jobs even exist

whatever clojure's shortcomings as a JVM polyfill for CL fans, at least it is a skill you can sell for money

they're pretty scarce, usually consulting. i would happily accept a clojure job as a consolation prize.

(with all the usual caveats that choice of language is just about the least important thing in a workplace and "clojure job" is shorthand for "clojure job at a decent company")

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Valeyard posted:

https://wiki.haskell.org/Beta_reduction

When it says "free occurrence" , surely it means "bounded occurrence", right?

no, it means every free occurrence in the expression "2*x*x + y" -- you wouldn't want to apply it to all bounded occurrences in an expression like "5 * ((\x -> x*x) (x + 2))"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I would also like a clojure job plz. preferably without having to move anywhere.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i really wish i could program in java, c#, or swift every day and not vba
fixed for me :(

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I would also like a clojure job plz. preferably without having to move anywhere.

if you're in/near waterloo and wouldn't mind mixed source projects (clojure/java) then the place I work is hiring

e: also if you can get a gss clearance

more like dICK fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 15, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hmm no

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

now you have two problems!!!!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

more like dICK posted:

if you're in/near waterloo and wouldn't mind mixed source projects (clojure/java) then the place I work is hiring

e: also if you can get a gss clearance

nah I'm in Victoria. not a whole lot of desire to move either. sounds neat though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I'm vibing on elm.

vibing HARD

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

nah I'm in Victoria. not a whole lot of desire to move either. sounds neat though.

i'm genuinely surprised that there are two lisp nerds in victoria.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

fidel sarcastro posted:

lol. didn't you say you are from the east coast as well? I moved here from NL.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fidel sarcastro posted:

there are lisp nerds everywhere

just, none are paid to write lisp

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have sbcl installed on my work machine. sometimes I boot it up and gaze longingly at the repl.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

halifax, but the east coast loves comp sci degrees and i don't have one so here i am.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

oh right, waterloo and victoria in canada

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I have sbcl installed on my work machine. sometimes I boot it up and gaze longingly at the repl.

install McCLIM too, and you can use the clim-listener example, which behaves like the Dynamic Listener in Symbolics Genera

then sob whenever you have to use a Unix or DOS teletype-style command line again

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

install McCLIM too, and you can use the clim-listener example, which behaves like the Dynamic Listener in Symbolics Genera

then sob whenever you have to use a Unix or DOS teletype-style command line again

sniff. too beautiful for this world rip

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

all the terrible programmer/node/php chat has moved to the security thread so this is now the security thread.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think i'm going to get a tattoo to help me remember which one is upstream and which one is downstream

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Squinty Applebottom posted:

all the terrible programmer/node/php chat has moved to the security thread so this is now the security thread.

I encrypt passwords by xoring them against passages from the bible. the power of christ shall protect me from hackers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

code:
CL-USER> (total-hand *player-hand*)
CL-USER> (= 14 (total-hand *player-hand*))
T
CL-USER> (> 21 (total-hand *player-hand*))
T
:confused:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

I encrypt passwords by xoring them against passages from the bible. the power of christ shall protect me from hackers

i use a running key algorithm with a key from the book of revelation :getin:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

code:
CL-USER> (total-hand *player-hand*)
CL-USER> (= 14 (total-hand *player-hand*))
T
CL-USER> (> 21 (total-hand *player-hand*))
T
:confused:

I think (> x y) is true if x is greater than y, so I don't see the problem here?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

I think (> x y) is true if x is greater than y, so I don't see the problem here?

:doh: i'm a moron and read it as <

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh my god i'm so in love with java

i'm really sad that i'm probably going to be writing ruby at redhot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

java is good

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

java is good

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

:doh: i'm a moron and read it as <

It happens to everyone--otherwise this thread wouldn't exist!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
minor syntactical snafus are like the least terrible programming error you can make

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

minor syntactical snafus are like the least terrible programming error you can make

this is true

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
although my assignment is not equality error was the one that cost thousands and thousands of dollars

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

although my assignment is not equality error was the one that cost thousands and thousands of dollars

this sounds like a good story

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
basically i was really worried about some code getting run in production in ruby so i did

code:
if Rails.env = "development"
// do stuff
the 'stuff' in this case was to charge people via the paypal development sandbox and not, like, for real

the REAL problem in this case is that production could reach the sandbox at all instead of just throwing errors but that happened before i got here (and i've since fixed it).

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yes. because they are also the most easily fixed. "oops used method X here instead of Y"

we have a project that was "nearshored" recently and it is a goddamn disaster. it has taken longer to fix their code than it did to build it in the first place. if we had thrown it out when we got it and started from scratch we'd be further ahead by now.

it's easily the hugest cluster gently caress i've been involved seen in my career. i've never seen so much code just loving diarrhea'd out without any seeming plan or attempt to actually match the business logic. the worst part has been that a the vast majority of the code appears to work and you can glance at a report or a screen and it looks ok. the moment you start playing with different scenarios you discover that poo poo is fundamentally hosed and needs to be rewritten.

some poo poo quite clearly did not make an even remotely honest effort to adhere to the design. like, parts with any formulas involved the devs just said gently caress it, math is hard and puked out some poo poo.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

yes. because they are also the most easily fixed. "oops used method X here instead of Y"

we have a project that was "nearshored" recently and it is a goddamn disaster. it has taken longer to fix their code than it did to build it in the first place. if we had thrown it out when we got it and started from scratch we'd be further ahead by now.

it's easily the hugest cluster gently caress i've been involved seen in my career. i've never seen so much code just loving diarrhea'd out without any seeming plan or attempt to actually match the business logic. the worst part has been that a the vast majority of the code appears to work and you can glance at a report or a screen and it looks ok. the moment you start playing with different scenarios you discover that poo poo is fundamentally hosed and needs to be rewritten.

some poo poo quite clearly did not make an even remotely honest effort to adhere to the design. like, parts with any formulas involved the devs just said gently caress it, math is hard and puked out some poo poo.

yeah, this is my current domain. it's really weird because this product is extremely profitable and i ended up becoming the 'domain owner' as a junior dev because (imo) i like gazing into the abyss and the senior devs were smart enough to be like 'hahahahaha i'm not going near that'

the issue is that everyone, everyone knows that refactoring or reimplementing is not the way to go. thinking that you can do better is hubris. the people who came before you solved problems that you dont understand yet.

but no, sometimes it's just bad and terrible. like, in the case above, paypal auth information being stored in the DB and accessed by doing a where environment='sandbox'

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Standard fare with commodity man-month managed projects, despite the trillions of dollars burnt this way there does not appear to be any effort to reduce the damage. I guess Agile was supposed to be the answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

pre:
CL-USER> (new-hand)
=== HAND BEGINS ===
Dealer: Queen of Spades, <face-down>
Player: Ace of Spades, 2 of Clubs
(H)it or (S)tand? h
Player: 10 of Spades, Ace of Spades, 2 of Clubs
(H)it or (S)tand? h
Player: 7 of Hearts, 10 of Spades, Ace of Spades, 2 of Clubs
(H)it or (S)tand? s
Dealer: Queen of Spades, 7 of Diamonds
Player: 7 of Hearts, 10 of Spades, Ace of Spades, 2 of Clubs
=== HAND ENDS ===
You win!
:toot:

it ignores blackjacks, adds new cards to the start of hands, duplicates cards when hitting, is a mess of duplicated code, and manipulates global variables when it can be refactored not to

• Locked thread