Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MJP posted:

A ticket didn't come in...

To get your point to stab deeper into the hearts of the bean counters and decision makers, it might be helpful to further quantify your time lost to dollar amounts. Tell them that you spend X% of your time doing the job of someone who'd make Y% of your income, so it's costing the company $Z in lost admin productivity, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's amazing how C-level execs think they can just start cutting jobs in IT without any negative issues popping up. Sure in your case nothing has happened because you've been able to step up in the short term and keep things running. Now inevitably you're getting burned out and tired of doing things that aren't your job so you'll leave. Meaning they will have to spend time and money hiring a replacement who will take a while to get up to speed, and then if he's any good he'll jump ship too. All of this work will get dumped on your boss or someone else in the department which will cause them to leave or become less productive. Next thing you know the whole IT department is over worked and stressing out and not doing their best work anymore. By the time it get's to this point the CFO will have already bragged about how much money he saved this company and used it as an opportunity to jump ship elsewhere for more money. Now the company has no trust in IT and has to either hire a whole new department from scratch or pay more expensive consultant types to come in, do work studies, and make fancy graphs to show what the company needs to do.

Because IT is just a cost center. If they ignore it for a little while and make the peons work a little harder then it won't be AS MUCH of a cost center. Never mind that IT is also the heart of a company's ability to perform any work, it's still a money pit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know this building we work in doesn't make us any money, why do we pay for it again? Can't we just, I dunno, not fix it when it breaks? It's a big money sink.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Best thing is that the CFO is a consultant from a firm specializing in turning companies in our industry around for buyout opportunities.

So yeah, we're already probably in fancy-chart territory.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

OwlFancier posted:

You know this building we work in doesn't make us any money, why do we pay for it again? Can't we just, I dunno, not fix it when it breaks? It's a big money sink.

No no no - a building is something real, that can be leveraged as an asset to secure a loan or sold so the CEO can buy a bigger yacht. Eggheads and nerds have no intrinsic value - they're just people who cost more money.

Don't they teach you drat kids anything in school anymore?!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So a profile migration situation came in....

Environment is getting a project to refresh several servers that are running Server 2003 - before we can do that, we've got to disable roaming profiles, set up folder redirection, and migrate user data to the new servers. All the tough stuff is set up, folder redirection and GPOs created, everything is working so we basically just need to add users to an AD group for redirect, update policy so their data auto-migrates, then log in as them to make sure mapped drives show correctly and everything is there.

One guy (whose last day was today, coincidentally), has been working with a couple of our project team members on this. Dude apparently can't follow instructions or comprehend basic English because it literally took him a couple hours to migrate FOUR profiles over. It's been a problem with the project guys too because we've got over a hundred users to migrate and this guy has managed to maybe handle a dozen of those in the last week. He did his exit interview and left today, so I was asked to jump in and lend a hand - project guys sent me instructions for everything by email, I read through them, everything's super easy to understand.

Get in today, and in less than 4 hours I got TWENTY profiles migrated over, fixed some app configuration issues, and everything was working peachy. Project guy and our VP were like :stare: when they heard about it and I got a free lunch out of the deal, plus heaps of praise for jumping in to help out. Still have a few more profiles to move next week due to users being out of the office, but I have no loving clue how someone couldn't understand the basic instructions given. This is poo poo that was laid out in a way that a goddamn 8 year old could understand, screenshots and all :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MJP posted:

So yeah, we're already probably in fancy-chart territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mnVWJpMhuE

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Progress OpenEdge is a lovely database engine and I loving hate it.

It's 2015 and it's only SMP aware. SMT awareness us seriously not even on the horizon, and NUMA awareness is "coming in a later release".

Meanwhile, my shiny new 16 core, 8-way SMT, 4.1 GHz, 256GB boxes are sitting there twiddling their loving thumbs because we can't run a non-lovely RDBMS like Oracle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Best thing is that the CFO is a consultant from a firm specializing in turning companies in our industry around for buyout opportunities.

Which is why you're not going to get anywhere. Just :yotj: now since you won't have a job when you're acquired anyway.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

16 core, 8-way SMT, 4.1 GHz, 256GB boxes are sitting there twiddling their loving thumbs because we can't run a non-lovely RDBMS like Oracle.

You know Oracle licenses are per core, right? If you aren't willing to write checks with lots of zeroes in them, you'll have just as many cores sitting idle.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

Get in today, and in less than 4 hours I got TWENTY profiles migrated over

Now figure out how to script it, get the whole environment done before lunch, and really come out a hero.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Now figure out how to script it, get the whole environment done before lunch, and really come out a hero. exceed expectations to such a degree that they just assume that anyone can do the job and that current staff are slacking and then let even more people go so they can bring in fresh graduates at 25% of the current staff's salary.

Fixed that for you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Status update from my previous employer: 25% of the workforce must be outsourced to India, or laid off.

Guess I left just in time v:shobon:v

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Status update from my previous employer: 25% of the workforce must be outsourced to India, or laid off.

Guess I left just in time v:shobon:v

:yotj:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Storysmith posted:

You know Oracle licenses are per core, right? If you aren't willing to write checks with lots of zeroes in them, you'll have just as many cores sitting idle.

On a sweeet Power8 like Alex is talking about you could lpar it; and only need 50 nup's - (2x1x25). Core licensing is for web facing poo poo that you can't get nup licensing for. Oracle's not terrible on AIX, but it sure sucks on VMWare.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Now figure out how to script it, get the whole environment done before lunch, and really come out a hero.

gently caress that - read the last couple pages, if you learn anything in IT it's that the more you do, the more people EXPECT you to do, whether it's part of your job or not

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dare to do the impossible, and it will be added to your daily workload.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Storysmith posted:

We're targeting $110B this year. We'll be OK.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ozz81 posted:

gently caress that - read the last couple pages, if you learn anything in IT it's that the more you do, the more people EXPECT you to do, whether it's part of your job or not

Expectations management is a critical aspect of a happy and healthy career in IT. If you properly manage the expectations of your boss and boss' boss, you can more easily avoid ending up like poor DILBERT as gently caress, stuck in a well with only alcohol and self delusion as your companions.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Is anyone using software to centrally manage USB ports on a network? I figured there would be some simple software with centralized management and some kind of basic reporting capabilities to do this, but I apparently suck at Google..

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sham I Am posted:

Is anyone using software to centrally manage USB ports on a network? I figured there would be some simple software with centralized management and some kind of basic reporting capabilities to do this, but I apparently suck at Google..
You mean like group policy?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

At which point you can move on to your next, better paying job with the skills you've developed. Not picking up new things because you'll be expected to use them sounds like a good way to go nowhere indefinitely.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

anthonypants posted:

You mean like group policy?
As far as I know that is not granular enough? The request is to be able to call ITwho can then "flip a switch" to turn on a USB port for the specified device, and then turn it off again on demand, either by request or by a schedule that is determined when each request is originally made, and this needs to be able to be done on each individual computer.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Expectations management is a critical aspect of a happy and healthy career in IT. If you properly manage the expectations of your boss and boss' boss

Not to mention the end users, their bosses, department VPs/Directors etc...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sham I Am posted:

As far as I know that is not granular enough? The request is to be able to call ITwho can then "flip a switch" to turn on a USB port for the specified device, and then turn it off again on demand, either by request or by a schedule that is determined when each request is originally made, and this needs to be able to be done on each individual computer.
Hahahaha, what

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sham I Am posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Good luck with finding anything that can do what they want.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Good luck with finding anything that can do what they want.

I mean, a lot of AV software can disable USB ports, so you could do some hosed up policy manipulation where you exclude a certain PC from the USB port policy, thus re-enabling its ports. But that's still granular only to the PC level (actually I guess it would be basically just like GPO) and why am I bothering to think about this this whole thing is loving retarded.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Sham I Am posted:

Mcafee Device Control has some USB & removeable media policies, allowing you to lock down USB ports entirely (on a machine basis, not per port basis), or do stuff like "you can read USB pens but not write" or "you can only plug in devices with this manufacturer GUID" and a few other options. And then you can just drop a machine into a policy group where some or all of this doesnt apply if they need to be the exception to the rule.

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/resources/solution-briefs/sb-mcafee-removable-media-security.pdf

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 15, 2015

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Seems like a reasonable request for an office that must be PCI compliant but wants the computers usable outside of that situation without a bunch of reconfiguration needing to take place

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Enkmar posted:

Seems like a reasonable request for an office that must be PCI compliant but wants the computers usable outside of that situation without a bunch of reconfiguration needing to take place
Yeah, PCI compliance is totally okay with random, arbitrary exceptions for removable media, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, PCI compliance is totally okay with random, arbitrary exceptions for removable media, right?

Last week I talked to a client that wanted 2 tb of data copied to dvds because it was to much of a hassle to get a usb hd approved.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Last week I talked to a client that wanted 2 tb of data copied to dvds because it was to much of a hassle to get a usb hd approved.

:stare: Isn't that like 400-some disks?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
FWIW most classroom management software have some sort of USB device blocking feature to prevent access to thumbdrives during exams. We use Faronics Insight. I'm not sure how usable it would be in other environments though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
add a 2 TB drive to a workstation, copy over, remove

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

:stare: Isn't that like 400-some disks?

Yes. At $100/hour. She was talked out of it.

go3 posted:

add a 2 TB drive to a workstation, copy over, remove

I wouldn't have been allowed to do that either.

The solution was to have her fill out the form and wait 3 days.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Volmarias posted:

Which is why you're not going to get anywhere. Just :yotj: now since you won't have a job when you're acquired anyway.

Sent out a few feelers. For now I'm only going after vertical moves - maybe some place is dumb enough to take me into a Windows or VMware engineering role, or a senior sysadmin situation. Don't know if I'm yet OK with a Manhattan job again, but it's not yet in EJECT EJECT EJECT mode here yet.

All I gotta do is find the right person to help me rework my cover letter; I had Resume to Interviews do it a while back and it wasn't quite right.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Real thug scripting gangstaz figure out how to script it, get it done via script, and gently caress around on SA for the time it would take to do manually, making it look like you're working hard at doing it manually in the meantime.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At which point you can move on to your next, better paying job with the skills you've developed. Not picking up new things because you'll be expected to use them sounds like a good way to go nowhere indefinitely.

Not so much about not wanting to pick up new skills, as it is that I've experienced the dreaded "additional duties as needed" clauses in contracts or job descriptions. I'm fine learning new stuff, I've actively jumped into servers and worked with other techs to learn group policy, AD, various backup systems, networking, you name it. But when you go above and beyond and do something even slightly out of your work scope, word spreads REAL fast and suddenly you're the engineer that's being asked to fix appliances and help with drywall work or some bullshit. No thanks.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

Not so much about not wanting to pick up new skills, as it is that I've experienced the dreaded "additional duties as needed" clauses in contracts or job descriptions. I'm fine learning new stuff, I've actively jumped into servers and worked with other techs to learn group policy, AD, various backup systems, networking, you name it. But when you go above and beyond and do something even slightly out of your work scope, word spreads REAL fast and suddenly you're the engineer that's being asked to fix appliances and help with drywall work or some bullshit. No thanks.

I guess you live somewhere that people that aren't professional engineers can call themselves engineers?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
we hire only licensed custodial engineers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A print job came in...

... of sample layouts for the rec room in the new company space that we're moving into later in the summer, four floors down. Ping-pong, air hockey, foosball, pool table.

I sure hope the buyout happens long after they hire the new helpdesk guy, which is probably when my balding hairline will reverse itself.

• Locked thread