Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

BlackMK4 posted:

Why don't my times show up on the leaderboard when I do time trial?

Because it hates us. It took 3 days for a laptime to show up on my Personal Best list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Mine show up literally immediately. Like, I'll hit a best time, then fly off turn 1 because I was squinting to see my lap time in that tiny loving window. Then I'll quit out and my leaderboard time is already up and I can pick that lap as a ghost and jump right back in.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Baggins posted:

Ugh, I'm tiring of the same damned track rotation in almost every series and invitational event. Outlon, Snetterton, Donington, Brands Hatch.... There are a lot of other tracks in the game, why not use those too? I've yet to see Monza, Monaco, any track in the US that isn't bloody Sonoma, I've been to Hockenheim and the Nurburgring exactly once...
Part of this is that, if you look at the title of the invitational, most of them are UK invitationals. I kind of wish they'd loaded up on less iconic tracks in another location as well and let you pick between the two for your career base of operations.

It's also getting a bit on my nerves, but that's more because Outlon and Brands Hatch were designed by masochists that think it's fun (and it is, in a way) to have rolling hills, off-camber bends, and slight turns into sharp turns that make keeping control, especially in a RWD hypercar like the McLaren F1, a pain in the rear end. To add icing to the cake, many turns (on the layouts I've been put on anyway) don't have signs so you have to do brake points based on track features alone (guess the hilliness becomes a perk for finding a braking point based on road ripples).

That said, the invitationals as my second season is getting underway seems to have had much more variety, dropping me in mainland Europe and Dubai a fair bit.

Norns posted:

Yep Monaco with friends only.
Was mucking about in offline with a couple friends a few nights ago and didn't notice damage was turned on for Azure Circuit after it had been off. Ended up falling to last from a cut penalty on the first turn (didn't know, first time on the track in PCars) and was right on the rear end of a slower friend after it ended. Thinking damage was still off, I gave him some loving nudges in the first downhill to hairpin, sending him careening into the wall so hard he lost a tire. Whoops. Apparently sports cars only manage 30 MPH with three wheels (until he blew his engine). My other friend ended up doing the same to himself on the second lap after I'd passed pretty cleanly and I was volunteered to sacrifice myself to the wall god on lap three so it'd be over faster.

Outside of messing around though, Azure Circuit in every game is a tough one to find passing opportunities on. Haven't felt the joy of Azure Coast yet.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Counterpoint: Brands Hatch kicks rear end and elevation, cambered turns etc rule.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bUm posted:

It's also getting a bit on my nerves, but that's more because Outlon and Brands Hatch were designed by masochists that think it's fun (and it is, in a way) to have rolling hills, off-camber bends, and slight turns into sharp turns that make keeping control, especially in a RWD hypercar like the McLaren F1, a pain in the rear end. To add icing to the cake, many turns (on the layouts I've been put on anyway) don't have signs so you have to do brake points based on track features alone (guess the hilliness becomes a perk for finding a braking point based on road ripples).

Oulton Park is especially horrible. I was in a two race series with the BAC Mono, Ariel Atom and whatever the equivalent Caterham was. I failed horribly at Oulton, and the car wasn't helping. The Mono is so stupidly bad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo LOL, the default settings for the Xbone's controller (on Xbone) are ludicrous bad and make driving a road car in a straight line at 35 mph a physical impossibility.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Holy poo poo LOL, the default settings for the Xbone's controller (on Xbone) are ludicrous bad and make driving a road car in a straight line at 35 mph a physical impossibility.

it gets better gently caress around with it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

counterpoint: buy a wheel

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ethanol posted:

it gets better gently caress around with it

On this note I just found a Steam guide on controller settings, copied its numbers into my game and suddenly the GT5 car I've been having nightmares with is somewhat controllable now. Still spins out whenever anyone looks at it harshly but I managed to make a few laps of Oulton before poo poo went fuckwards. Then in the race I hit the throttle a little too hard and span on the grid. Thankfully it was the last race of the series so I never have to do that poo poo again.

ethanol posted:

I'm probably gonna do this when I get my 10 year bonus from work in July, I've really taken to the cockpit camera which I've never used for any period of time in any racing game before.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 14, 2015

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

frankenbeans posted:

Mine show up literally immediately. Like, I'll hit a best time, then fly off turn 1 because I was squinting to see my lap time in that tiny loving window. Then I'll quit out and my leaderboard time is already up and I can pick that lap as a ghost and jump right back in.

Same here, haven't had a problem with the leaderboards so far (PC).

If you want to feel like a World #1, try Superkarts @ Monza full. I posted 2nd there last night with a poo poo lap on the default setup. Some effort laps and you too could feel like a world champion.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

Yeah, my UK buddy who's had it for a week told me to switch to controller mode 3 but I haven't had a chance to try that yet. I just ended up letting the AI drive last night while I watched from the co-driver seat. Pretty amazing visuals with the day/night change and changeable weather on the Nordschliefe.

I wonder why they shipped it with such abysmal default settings (on what seems like all the systems it's on).

And the damnable Fanatec Xbone wheel rim won't be here until this fall sometime, I had a Thrustmaster TX but sold it thinking the Fanatec would be ready at the end of May. So I have a CSW v2 base and a Porsche 918 rim that is.. exactly as functional as my CSR-E w/r/t xbone racing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A lot of the default setups are garbage. The McLaren GT3 one is an understeering mess right from the get go.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So someone asked about controller settings earlier and here's one that I liked:

quote:

Controller input mode: 2
Steering deadzone: 0
Steering sensitivy: 10
Throttle deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 50
Brake deadzone: 0
Brake sensitivity: 30
Clutch deadzone: 0
Clutch sensitivity:
Speed sensitivy: 70
Controller filtering sensitivity: 50
Force feedback: 100
Advanced: on
Soft steering dampening: on
Visual wheel filtering: on

I don't think controller input mode is anything other than saved settings though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's not. There's some behind the scenes stuff for each controller mode. It's unclear what exactly that is.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
gently caress the last corner on Snetterton I hate it so much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The one constant I've seen with controller setups is put all deadzones down to 0 unless your controller is really old and beaten up.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I tried some of your guys controller steering sensitivity and I don't know how you guys play with it so low. I keep steering into walls because it feels like there is no response.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Monza is a really cool track and the RUF GT3 is just a blast to drive.

Welp thanks for reading.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Goetta posted:

gently caress the last corner on Snetterton I hate it so much.

Half the problem is that sweeper right before.

Edit: I'd love to get a wheel, but there doesn't seem to be any budget options with force feedback. The game lists the t100 but I cant find any anywhere.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 15, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

holocaust bloopers posted:

A lot of the default setups are garbage. The McLaren GT3 one is an understeering mess right from the get go.

You know, I wonder if that's why I'm sucking with the McLaren F1 right now. I mean I know its a road car, but it handles like rear end and during practice for the 3 hour Zolder event it took 5 laps for just one front tyre to heat up. The rest were still cold. Unless that's how its supposed to be and I'm dumb.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You know, I wonder if that's why I'm sucking with the McLaren F1 right now. I mean I know its a road car, but it handles like rear end and during practice for the 3 hour Zolder event it took 5 laps for just one front tyre to heat up. The rest were still cold. Unless that's how its supposed to be and I'm dumb.
The McLaren F1 only getting one wheel type for rain or shine is part of the problem; it's extra unwieldy when raining. Make that rainy day on Oulton and :smithicide:.

You're not crazy: the wheels take forever to heat up (longer still when raining) and, as far as I can tell, there's no options like brake cooling you can change to increase their warm up time.

The McLaren F1 is a brazen beast, but when you can keep it in check it is an extremely good car (best in class for many of the road events it's allowed in as far as I've seen). There's probably settings one can change to make it more manageable (even with cool tires), but I've just used it in various one-off invitationals that only warranted minor tweaks rather than extensive testing to seek a comfortable and fast setup.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Has anyone made a settings calulator like you get on Forza? They used to be ok for setting out a sensible neutral handling setup to start working from. Some of these settings are a bit of a mess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Also the F1 road car isn't a perfect car irl and it's pretty janky in some ways compared to ultra modern stuff.
I used to be on a forum a while back with a guy who owned one and he spent literally tens and tens of thousands trying to improve the handling and get rid of under steer, working with McLaren.
His posts were always awesome to read and he was brutally honest about the car and it's shortcomings.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Is there a retard's guide to career mode? Because I'm tired of racing lawnmowers. I'm in season 2 and burned out on the kartzzzzzzzz and have no idea how to progress aside from grinding away at races.

And I'm supposed to see invites on the calendar automatically, right? I've gotten a ton of them and none have made an appearance yet even after I searched the calendar.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If you don't like carts, start a career mode without them in it.

Why are people forcing themselves to drive things they don't like? Litterly everything is open from the start.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Norns posted:

If you don't like carts, start a career mode without them in it.

Why are people forcing themselves to drive things they don't like? Litterly everything is open from the start.

It seems like progression is locked in. I was hoping to jump around after completing kart one, and got stuck with only super kart options with seemingly nothing else on the docket.

You can abandon your season and go somewhere else, but I'm not sure if the game penalizes you in any way for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostratic posted:

Is there a retard's guide to career mode? Because I'm tired of racing lawnmowers. I'm in season 2 and burned out on the kartzzzzzzzz and have no idea how to progress aside from grinding away at races.

And I'm supposed to see invites on the calendar automatically, right? I've gotten a ton of them and none have made an appearance yet even after I searched the calendar.

When you get an invitational it'll automatically stop as your next event when it's time. As for career progression I'm pretty sure if you start in Kart 1 you need to go through Superkarts to keep moving up.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I started at the lowest level of karts. I've completed the first karts championship and selected my team for the 250cc karts, but all I've been getting is invitational races, not a single 250cc race. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the same. In season one, these were the Caterham and Focus RS. Now I've had the GT320(?) a few times in session two.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I started on Tier 8 to work on the Zero to Hero thing, did the first season, and then I think my mistake was renewing the contract for a second season thinking it would be for the bigger karts. I looked through my emails but I didn't see anything that said, "Hey come race FASTER karts with us!" I guess I'll finish out this season on the weedwhacker and see if an opportunity to advance will pop up.

I started another career in the Formula Gulf series and it kills. I think I'm going to skip out of it and get into the next higher tier of Formula cars. Open wheel is just ridiculously fun.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Nostratic posted:

I started another career in the Formula Gulf series and it kills. I think I'm going to skip out of it and get into the next higher tier of Formula cars. Open wheel is just ridiculously fun.

Open wheel racing is also insanely terrifying at times. The sense of speed from cockpit view gets the adrenaline pumping at times.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

historic open wheel is terrifying at all times

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
So far I'm finding this game to be completely unplayable with a controller on Xbox One... tried a few different setups and it's not really getting there for me. Very frustrating. Not really interested in any of the current wheel offerings for Xbox One, and with the Fanatec wheel several months out... feeling like a waste of $60 here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ethanol posted:

historic open wheel is terrifying at all times

Terrifying and amazing.

Classic Lotus F1s melt my heart. And my seat.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Goons report, is this enough race game to tide me over till the next GT? PS4, no wheel.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Every time I do an open wheel race, my first couple of laps go: "I can't POSSIBLY take that curve at this speed... <gets smoked by the rest of the field>" or "HAHAHA my tires are warmed up, SEE YA OH SHI-- <wall>"

Going to try the historic cars tonight :getin:

First Time Caller posted:

Goons report, is this enough race game to tide me over till the next GT? PS4, no wheel.

Yes, and get a wheel. Life is better that way. I've got my old-rear end Microsoft wheel working and it's better than the controller.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 15, 2015

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Whats the recommended PS4 wheel that doesnt cost $500?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I bought a T80 for $90. No force-feedback, but it seems to work pretty darn well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Thrustmaster T300rs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAILURE posted:

So far I'm finding this game to be completely unplayable with a controller on Xbox One... tried a few different setups and it's not really getting there for me. Very frustrating. Not really interested in any of the current wheel offerings for Xbox One, and with the Fanatec wheel several months out... feeling like a waste of $60 here.

Same boat. Some cars are driveable, some are utterly ridiculous. There's no rhyme or reason to it, unless it's that I'm just not hard core Sim HERO enough to drive a 300hp street car in a straight line (I own a V8 M3 in real life). I spent 2 hours last night dicking with control schemes and each car is a brand new challenge to keep from doing a U-turn left when you have the wheel turned completely to the right and are going 3-11 mph with your foot off the gas.

The menus and UI are also loving abysmal.

• Locked thread