Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

drat, you beat me to it.

Magnetic North posted:

Also the burn came to me so I had to use it, even though I was honestly hopeful that your KS would be successful.

serious face: 5 figures in a week via word-of-mouth only is pretty drat good. There's a reason I pulled it and said, "I'll try it again once I have enough money to properly advertise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The End posted:

That's nothing. A guy wanted to fight me irl because I posted negatively about Cards Against Humanity on facebook.

EDIT: DoW is a bad game.

My aunt who got me a copy of cards against humanity was upset about my Facebook post linking to the SUSD review. If you give someone a gift that claims to be offensive you can hardly be surprised if they find it offensive.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh my god I have to stop buying games now. For reals.
This week through various means I am getting Viticulture + Tuscany, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Eminent Domain.
Granted, can't wait to play these...but must...stop...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yes because the game is bad and he shouldn't play it.

He already bought the game, ya dingus. Being an Internet warrior does nothing at this point, so let him get an answer to his question and be on his merry way.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh my god I have to stop buying games now. For reals.
This week through various means I am getting Viticulture + Tuscany, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Eminent Domain.
Granted, can't wait to play these...but must...stop...

I recently sold a few board games I wasn't really playing to gain some space and cash back. It was nice.

.... of course I turned around and spend that money on more new games, heh

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

S.J. posted:

So how awful is Wiz-War? I'm assuming it is poo poo and I should just play mage wars if I want to have no one to play magical wizard duels with me.

I did a summary thing on Wiz War

It's similar to Cosmic Encounter, in that it's a decades-old IP that got rebooted by Fantasy Flight with a whole bunch of randomness in it, and carries a lot of baggage from the 80s.

I enjoy it a lot, but I recognise that it's not an expertly-designed game - it's full of direct player conflict, player elimination, randomness etc. But it's also a game where you can eat walls to gain health and throw rocks at your enemies through magic portals. I don't know of a game that lets you use your environment against your enemies as well as Wiz War does.

It's also a 'toolbox' game - you can feel free to modify it however you want because balance sure as hell doesn't mean anything. I like to play to 3 points (instead of 2), with a 10 hit point max (instead of 15) and with wizards respawning when they die (instead of player elimination).

So yeah, it can't really be compared to Mage Wars. If you have 3 friends and an hour to burn, though, Wiz War is a pretty good way to spend it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I recently sold a few board games I wasn't really playing to gain some space and cash back. It was nice.

.... of course I turned around and spend that money on more new games, heh

I took the far superior lazy option and stuffed them in the attic. I should probably get around to selling them but, you know, lazy.

What is the goon opinion on Seasons and Five Tribes? Saw them in my local bookstore and was wondering if either were worth picking up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MikeCrotch posted:

What is the goon opinion on Seasons and Five Tribes? Saw them in my local bookstore and was wondering if either were worth picking up.

Goon opinion on Seasons is hit and miss. I like it personally, but it's not one of my favorite games or anything. The most common complaint is that everything after the draft phase is tedious, but I like the fact that there's actually more to the game than drafting, a la 7 Wonders. Neither game compares much to MTG drafting since for some reason nobody understands that the key to a good draft game is signaling.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

MikeCrotch posted:

I can't say anything about Five Tribes, so I'm ignoring that.

Seasons is a drafting game that ends in 5 minutes and takes 90 minutes to play. To clarify, I feel that the initial round of drafting is the entirety of the game, and the rest is merely a formality. On the other hand, the expansions alleviate this problem by having better and more interesting things to play with.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

MikeCrotch posted:

I took the far superior lazy option and stuffed them in the attic. I should probably get around to selling them but, you know, lazy.

I've played Five Tribes a few times now. It's... fine? Nothing to write home about. A bit of point salad where you move a bunch of meeples around then the game ends. Worth giving a shot though.

Don't play it with someone who has AP though because you will never leave

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Shadow225 posted:

He already bought the game, ya dingus. Being an Internet warrior does nothing at this point, so let him get an answer to his question and be on his merry way.

He deserves to be mocked as an example for others.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

seasons is ok. as drafting games go it's not bad, haven't played with the expansion but i've heard good things. it's up on BGA though, so IMO you should give it a shot before you buy, see if it lights any fires in you

there was a big discussion on five tribes a few pages back, i think the consensus was it wasn't bad but not like soul-rendingly good either

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Fungah! posted:

there was a big discussion on five tribes a few pages back, i think the consensus was it wasn't bad but not like soul-rendingly good either

That was definitely what I took away from it although I played with a dude who had big time AP so yeah

e: this should maybe (or not, it's kinda barely a wargame) go in the WG thread but I played Quartermaster General last night with 6. I really like partnership games and there were some interesting decisions with the cards (particularly the response cards). For a light light wargame that plays 6 at 60-90min it was solid. Felt like an interesting blufing based meta could develop if you really knew each side's cards.

Also got in another Keyflower with 6 in under 2 hours. Game is still the best of all bests.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 15, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MikeCrotch posted:

Seasons is really, really, really pretty.

Seasons is a manic pixie dream girl who rifled through your Facebook pictures and started liking all the old ones and asked you out when you approached her about it. You go out on a date and and she offers to pay for dinner and everything's amazing until she falls asleep at the restaurant and she's not hurt or sick or anything just asleep and oh boy the other patrons are looking this is kind of awkward um yes I might want some dessert maybe can you come back in a minute please? oh good she's awake aaaaaaaaand no she's dozing off again WHAT THE HELL ugh I wanted to leave an hour ago but I'd feel horrible just leaving her with the check even if she said she'd cover it gently caress everything wait I can just fake a phone call and have to rescue a friend or something please christ I just want this to be over already

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Broken Loose posted:

Seasons is a manic pixie dream girl who rifled through your Facebook pictures and started liking all the old ones and asked you out when you approached her about it. You go out on a date and and she offers to pay for dinner and everything's amazing until she falls asleep at the restaurant and she's not hurt or sick or anything just asleep and oh boy the other patrons are looking this is kind of awkward um yes I might want some dessert maybe can you come back in a minute please? oh good she's awake aaaaaaaaand no she's dozing off again WHAT THE HELL ugh I wanted to leave an hour ago but I'd feel horrible just leaving her with the check even if she said she'd cover it gently caress everything wait I can just fake a phone call and have to rescue a friend or something please christ I just want this to be over already

Why does this metaphor make sense? Why does this make sense!?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well that sums up my opinion better than I ever could.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that's a pretty good summary of Seasons. It's also better 2 player, from my limited experience. Mostly because it's over sooner, I think.

We got to try out Utlimate Werewolf: Inquisition last night, which I haven't seen mentioned yet. Did two games, a 6 player and an 8 player. It's pretty clever, insofar as Werewolf games go. Basic idea is you're a group of inquisitors (naturally) hunting down the werewolves in a town.

The roles for players are either Villager (blue) or Werewolf (red), like in The Resistance. The townspeople themselves (12 in a round, face-down in a 3x4 matrix) are what have abilities you can use, in sort of an action-taking twist. The townsfolk you choose determine what actions the players will have available to them and what will be lost if those characters are lynched or killed. This can range from the Seer letting you look at a card, to the Prince that gives you 4 votes to spend on abilities or end-of-day voting.

Basically, players take one action each, to build up or apply votes or gain information on townsfolk, then a round of voting (everyone places one vote if they have any) to lynch happens. Whichever townsfolk card has the most votes is flipped and that card's out along with the corresponding action. Then a column is selected and passed around. The werewolves can look at and rearrange the stack, villagers just pass it along after holding it for a few seconds. The card at the bottom after everyone's had the cards is the werewolf kill and that villager and action are removed from play.

Villagers win by killing all the werewolves among the townsfolk (usually 4), the werewolves win by having more werewolves in town than innocents. There's no player elimination, so it's really a mix of Resistance and Werewolf, which is pretty interesting.

I'm not sure how much I actually like it compared to Avalon or One Night, though. It takes 30-45 minutes to play and the gears start to catch around the midway point and the game starts to drag a bit. I think it may have a few too many mechanics, but I definitely liked the mix of action taking and deduction.

TL;DR: It's an action-taking Resistance and it's pretty good, not so if it's great. Definitely worth trying, though, since it's a really interesting, crunchier take on the social deduction game.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 15, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Well that certainly got some responses. I'll probably give both a pass (at least until i've tried Seasons) and AP stuff is a no-no because of my girlfriend alas. Thanks for the advice all!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

MikeCrotch posted:

Well that certainly got some responses. I'll probably give both a pass (at least until i've tried Seasons) and AP stuff is a no-no because of my girlfriend alas. Thanks for the advice all!

I actually really like Five Tribes a lot myself, but I'm a lot less discerning than the average goon gamer, so take that as you will. It's definitely a bit of a brain burner for the AP-inclined, but I honestly don't think it's as bad as its reputation would have people believe. It's the kind of game where there's no single best path to victory which I really like; I've seen players win by leaning heavily into using the Dijin cards, and other games where those are hardly used at all and players just focus on claiming spaces on the board, or others still where players just stack money (1:1 points) by means of item card set collection.

Probably a try before you by kind of thing based on the rest of the reviews you've heard from here, but I think it's definitely worth trying at least a couple times to get a solid opinion of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Five Tribes is a game that starts off really good then quickly runs out of interesting and fun decisions. The first two rounds have the most possibilities and action, then it's just a matter of choosing the best of a list of bad options. It's also the most point salady game I've played, and not in a good way.

The Djinn can either be really strong or really weak depending on draws and market strategy suffers from the same problem. Assassins seem like an afterthought that can't really ever make a big difference in the number of viziers (which give crazy points at the end of the game), and people usually cash in the white dudes for Djinn faster than the assassins can do anything about them either. The random placement of meeples/tiles during setup can also dramatically affect the game, even more than Catan. It's kind of a chaotic mess that has a fun movement system but is bogged down by everything else. I think the expansion will only make it worse by introducing more tiles and another faction.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 15, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Five Tribes is a game that starts off really good then quickly runs out of interesting and fun decisions. The first two rounds have the most possibilities and action, then it's just a matter of choosing the best of a list of bad options. It's also the most point salady game I've played, and not in a good way.

The Djinn can either be really strong or really weak depending on draws and market strategy suffers from the same problem. Assassins seem like an afterthought that can't really ever make a big difference in the number of viziers (which give crazy points at the end of the game), and people usually cash in the white dudes for Djinn faster than the assassins can do anything about them either. The random placement of meeples/tiles during setup can also dramatically affect the game, even more than Catan. It's kind of a chaotic mess that has a fun movement system but is bogged down by everything else. I think the expansion will only make it worse by introducing more tiles and another faction.

The thing I didn't like about Five Tribes is that it's almost entirely a long series of arithmetic problems: you evaluate what move will give you the most points for each of the five Tribes each turn, and probably do that move unless you are very obviously leaving something on the table that really helps the next player to go. The board state changes enough that you don't have to worry about the person going in two turns from you, but also changes so much that you can't plan your own turn. I suspect an AI that simply chose the highest number of points on each turn would beat a human much of the time.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rumda posted:

He deserves to be mocked as an example for others.

It's ok to like things, I think, even if they aren't that great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

homullus posted:

The thing I didn't like about Five Tribes is that it's almost entirely a long series of arithmetic problems: you evaluate what move will give you the most points for each of the five Tribes each turn, and probably do that move unless you are very obviously leaving something on the table that really helps the next player to go. The board state changes enough that you don't have to worry about the person going in two turns from you, but also changes so much that you can't plan your own turn. I suspect an AI that simply chose the highest number of points on each turn would beat a human much of the time.

One of my gaming regulars would LOVE this game. He wins every single game we play like this since he's like rain man when it comes to math and algorithms. Whenever he wins too many games in a row I threaten to bring out something like Talisman to level the playing field.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

It's ok to like things, I think, even if they aren't that great.

Like the bengals!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
edit: eh,

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 15, 2015

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

serious face: 5 figures in a week via word-of-mouth only is pretty drat good. There's a reason I pulled it and said, "I'll try it again once I have enough money to properly advertise."

Needed more hidden penises

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

God drat, this is just about perfect.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bobvonunheil posted:

I did a summary thing on Wiz War

It's similar to Cosmic Encounter, in that it's a decades-old IP that got rebooted by Fantasy Flight with a whole bunch of randomness in it, and carries a lot of baggage from the 80s.

I enjoy it a lot, but I recognise that it's not an expertly-designed game - it's full of direct player conflict, player elimination, randomness etc. But it's also a game where you can eat walls to gain health and throw rocks at your enemies through magic portals. I don't know of a game that lets you use your environment against your enemies as well as Wiz War does.

It's also a 'toolbox' game - you can feel free to modify it however you want because balance sure as hell doesn't mean anything. I like to play to 3 points (instead of 2), with a 10 hit point max (instead of 15) and with wizards respawning when they die (instead of player elimination).

So yeah, it can't really be compared to Mage Wars. If you have 3 friends and an hour to burn, though, Wiz War is a pretty good way to spend it.

The one thing that I think is notable about Wiz-War versus Cosmic Encounter is that it's very hard for a game of Wiz-War to go on too long. It's way easier to achieve victory than to prevent it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Myrmidongs posted:

Needed more hidden penises

myrmidongs lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah only play Seasons two player, otherwise hell no. Hansa Teutonica shines with the Eastern Map expansion which just went up for pre-order on CSI. I really enjoy Five Tribes, but it really is finding solutions to puzzles.

I'm playing Mage Wars with the new core set today. It's been a long time since I played it and now that there's the app, I'm hoping to get it to the table more often.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lorini posted:

I'm playing Mage Wars with the new core set today. It's been a long time since I played it and now that there's the app, I'm hoping to get it to the table more often.

Really interested to hear the thoughts on this one. Is this the "Arena" box, and designed to be a shorter play time?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

I was really excited for this until I realized that it was a tablet only app :negative:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Mage Wars Arena Core set is the Core Set for the Domination Battlegrounds which is the shorter Mage Wars Arena. Domination will be available at Origins in June and in retail in July.

Here is an online spell book builder but I haven't tried it yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lorini posted:

Mage Wars Arena Core set is the Core Set for the Domination Battlegrounds which is the shorter Mage Wars Arena. Domination will be available at Origins in June and in retail in July.

Here is an online spell book builder but I haven't tried it yet.

I haven't really looked into it, but from what I saw on short research, the new Core Set is basically the same as the old Core Set except in a different box? Mage Wars is a fun game with some really terrible marketing and branding issues (like wtf is Mage Wars Academy? And the fact that the Spell Tomes are kinda eh vs. just buying another Core Set, etc.)

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

EvilChameleon posted:

I think the only Knizia game I've played is Modern Art. Are the others worth looking into? I know some of the others are well regarded, but I haven't heard them mentioned, do they feel old? Most of them look old / boring aesthetically and I could understand Once Great Games that are now just Pretty Decent Old Games.

edit: I liked Modern Art despite its lovely components

Some of my favourite Knizias - like T&E and Samurai - have been mentioned already. Listen to that advice, especially T&E.

En Garde is a fantastic two-player duel game. If you've played Flash Duel, felt like it seemed like an ameritrashed-up version of a more elegant, tense, and thinky game, En Garde is for you. If you're in Victoria BC, it's one of the games Reiner sent as one of the prizes.

We played a lot of Medici in our time. It's push your luck: both in grabbing random horseshit out of a bag and in a tense one-bid-only auction round for whatever you pulled of of the bag. There's some other stuff like majorities in goods, etc. but it's mostly an ends to making valuing lots interesting. It sounds similar to Ra - which it is - but the scoring is simplified. Also, you can bid whatever amount you want... out of your own points.

A great Knizia you'll never play is Stephenson's Rocket. Last printed in '99, it's got stocks and shares and trains and dicking people over in the rear end. It's especially confrontational as you get to build track on your turn, but another shareholder may interrupt you, give up shares, and decide which way the track-building goes instead of you. "gently caress you, we're going south." If you find it and enjoy the Knizia favourites (like T&E), make sure to play it. edit: almost forgot: the money is all in giant-assed old-school pound-notes it makes you feel like a millionaire.

Not Shakespeare, or even great Knizia, Ra: The Dice Game is a great non-auction version of Ra. You roll dice instead of pulling tiles and bidding on them. Very ~chill~ if that's what you're feeling.

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Five Tribes is 7 Wonders, but instead of drafting, you have mandala.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

I don't see how this is the case. Would you be willing to elaborate?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Merauder posted:

Really interested to hear the thoughts on this one. Is this the "Arena" box, and designed to be a shorter play time?

That's Mage Wars Academy, it's designed to be a quicker, smaller game that's easier to teach. Currently not out yet. Domination has rules for building a custom arena, a capture point win condition, and an Overlord or something so you can do a 1 VS many type of game.

In an effort to make the regular game more distinguishable, all regular Mage Wars stuff is being renamed as Mage Wars: Arena... which of course has only led to more confusion :v:

That being said, Mage Wars loving rules and you should play it. Your very first game is going to be long though, so plan accordingly.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We got Dominion Adventures, and have been playing it a lot lately.

It's got some cool cards, but it seems like the percentage of broken boards keeps going up. Today we had Training (event that let's you give an action +1 coin) + Scheme (+1 Card +1 Action, choose an action in play to put on top of your deck at end of turn). That's obviously bonkers, and it's bonkers in a way that's particularly unsatisfying: you're fast, extremely consistent, and invulnerable to most attacks. You have no decisions to make, you buy a Province every turn, and you're completely uninteractive.

I guess we just have to be more aggressive in pruning boards; still, it just seems like the number of "fair and interesting" boards we're hitting has gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
How well does Keyflower play as 2 players? Ideally I won't be playing 2p that much but sometimes I just have me and the roommate and if it isn't horrible I could do that sometimes. (I have other 2p games, just wondering if this one is one that is okay with 2 or if I'll hate myself for some reason). I think someone said Farmers expac makes 2p better? I forget what was said about the expacs other than they are definitely not necessary to make the base game great.

Trasson posted:

The word you were looking for was mancala, but your analogy still doesn't make sense.