Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This is an actual document that we send out every month. This is an actual thing that 72 year old owner of the company spends his time monitoring. This is an actual thing he flips the gently caress out over. This is an actual thing I get pulled into meetings to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bob Morales posted:

This is an actual document that we send out every month. This is an actual thing that 72 year old owner of the company spends his time monitoring. This is an actual thing he flips the gently caress out over. This is an actual thing I get pulled into meetings to talk about.

<PAGES OF HORROR>

:stare:

That... that is certainly a policy he has there.

vvvvv Good point, edited out of mine.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 15, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Bob Morales posted:

Dangerous stuff.

You might not want to post company documents to a public site.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah and you misspelled resources!!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
also for the love of god please check your domain account holder records occasionally and make sure they are up to date because making a primary change request with literally none of the info being correct is kinda annoying

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We got into a discussion one time about dates. He wants things labeled 1-2015.xls and I told him to you need to do it 2015-01.xls

I said if you mix more than one year you'll get all the months clumped together. I also told him you need to pad the single digit years with zeroes.

He told me I was out of my mind. I tried to explain how most logging software etc generates filenames. He didn't care. He also said there has to be a 'better way' to sort file names so it worked HIS WAY.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

We got into a discussion one time about dates. He wants things labeled 1-2015.xls and I told him to you need to do it 2015-01.xls

I said if you mix more than one year you'll get all the months clumped together. I also told him you need to pad the single digit years with zeroes.

He told me I was out of my mind. I tried to explain how most logging software etc generates filenames. He didn't care. He also said there has to be a 'better way' to sort file names so it worked HIS WAY.

ISO 8601 :swoon:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That whole thing sounds excessive but it does seem like it'd be easy to find poo poo.

I do agree that the date formats should be changed to conform to standards and make them sortable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People who use anything but yyyy-mm-dd in file names and other IT systems will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Besides the date thing, I'm not really sure why "Auto cad" is pissing me off so much.

Also the 12 things limit counts both folders and files? :psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HardDisk posted:

Besides the date thing, I'm not really sure why "Auto cad" is pissing me off so much.

You're also not allowed to have more than 10 shortcuts on your desktop.

Guess why.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

People who use anything but yyyy-mm-dd in file names and other IT systems will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

im sorry i already reserved that spot for MBAs but you're welcome to have them second

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

You're also not allowed to have more than 10 shortcuts on your desktop.

Guess why.

It...it cuts into productivity?

Please tell me someone isn't being anal about desktop shortcuts because they monitor your desktop shortcuts

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

HardDisk posted:

It's so you can see them all at once when your resolution is set to 640 x 480

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

It...it cuts into productivity?

Please tell me someone isn't being anal about desktop shortcuts because they monitor your desktop shortcuts

Slows your computer down.

I received an email asking me, "Will too many desktop shortcuts slow your computer down?"

I had just woken up so I replied from my phone, "Of course not."

Turns out the owner had told someone that, he thought it was bullshit so he asked me, I confirmed it was bullshit, so he told the owner. First thing in the morning the owner comes down and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. I rolled my eyes at him and he presents me with a loving xeroxed copy of an article from loving USA Today circa the launch of Windows 95 where that was a 'tip' from some computer expert. He had it highlighted in yellow.

As he walked away he told me I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
please get that article and copy it so we can make it the shsc background

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Slows your computer down.

I received an email asking me, "Will too many desktop shortcuts slow your computer down?"

I had just woken up so I replied from my phone, "Of course not."

Turns out the owner had told someone that, he thought it was bullshit so he asked me, I confirmed it was bullshit, so he told the owner. First thing in the morning the owner comes down and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. I rolled my eyes at him and he presents me with a loving xeroxed copy of an article from loving USA Today circa the launch of Windows 95 where that was a 'tip' from some computer expert. He had it highlighted in yellow.

Then why is he paying you instead of some other 70-year-old computer expert?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Amazing

I want to work there. Insane and unorganized file shares are one of my least favorite things. We have three file servers here, named COMPANYNas, COMPANYNYNas, SharedNas. Everyone has a share on it called "Software" and then folders of all sorts of nonsense. There's also a Windows share, that has a software folder in it, that has some other software in it, so if you want of find some software you have to look in all these places

\\COMPANYNas\Software
\\COMPANYNas\Software\Windows
\\COMPANYNas\Software\MicrosoftWindows
\\COMPANYNas\Windows\
\\COMPANYNas\Windows\Software
\\COMPANYNYNas\Software
\\COMPANYNYNas\Software\Windows
\\COMPANYNYNas\Software\MicrosoftWindows
\\COMPANYNYNas\Windows\
\\COMPANYNYNas\Windows\Softwareok in all these places
\\SharedNas\Software
\\SharedNas\Software\Windows
\\SharedNas\Software\MicrosoftWindows
\\SharedNas\Windows\
\\SharedNas\Windows\Software

Each one has a random selection of software in it. It's a nightmare.

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

At the large engineering organization I work for, share drive get setup with:
01_Program
02_System
03_Domain
99_SomeUnimportantThings

They have scripts that will generate these structures for you. You pretty much can't go to network share without seeing this configuration. It's trickled its way into every tool. Teamspace? Yup, you'll find that structure. Wikis? Scripts will generate a wiki page tree for you in the same structure, even though you can setup page ordering in any arbitrary fashion. Google Drive? Yup, people will setup drive folders with the same configuration. As someone who uses shells to navigate around, it was a bane until fish's completion allows me to complete without knowing the drat number. I don't mind a common scheme (we had these on the unix side all the time, src, bin, test, etc), but long rear end folder names with numbers in front, ugh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Helado posted:

At the large engineering organization I work for, share drive get setup with:
01_Program
02_System
03_Domain
99_SomeUnimportantThings

They have scripts that will generate these structures for you. You pretty much can't go to network share without seeing this configuration. It's trickled its way into every tool. Teamspace? Yup, you'll find that structure. Wikis? Scripts will generate a wiki page tree for you in the same structure, even though you can setup page ordering in any arbitrary fashion. Google Drive? Yup, people will setup drive folders with the same configuration. As someone who uses shells to navigate around, it was a bane until fish's completion allows me to complete without knowing the drat number. I don't mind a common scheme (we had these on the unix side all the time, src, bin, test, etc), but long rear end folder names with numbers in front, ugh.

A client I had loved:

a_FolderName
aa_FolderName
z_Foldername
zzz_Foldername

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Helado posted:

but long rear end folder names with numbers in front, ugh.

A guy I worked for used to do that, it's the way to get the folders in the exact order you want! Genius!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ynglaur posted:

In TYOOL you can rent a server with 96GB of RAM from Azure for less than $2000 USD / month. People scrooging over 16GB of RAM pisses me off. RAM and disk are cheap. People time is expensive.

Yep, and one of the major culprits for this (and who are only just getting round to moving off 32-bit for this stuff) are one of the top 10 most valuable companies in the world.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

I rolled my eyes at him and he presents me with a loving xeroxed copy of an article from loving USA Today circa the launch of Windows 95 where that was a 'tip' from some computer expert. He had it highlighted in yellow.

This is an organized man.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is an organized man.

News Articles --> Computers --> Windows 95 --> USA Today --> BOOOM

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.

Bob Morales posted:

News articles --> Computers --> Windows 95 --> Usa today --> Boom

:colbert:

Couldn't resist, sorry.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Email is the greatest thing. If someone calls me, texts me, looks me in the eye, sends me a message on Lync, they've got me. You can't have someone look at you and say Stripe can you help with X, and then just be like hurf durf. But oh my god, an email? Hey Stripe can you do this annoying as poo poo thing? Oh yeah no sorry I missed that email, guess I won't be sitting on a two hour conference call today.

Oh uh, thing that pisses me off: two hour conference calls.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
You know, getting in a tizzy and ranting over folder structures may be a bit extreme, but I can damned well see where he's coming from. Too often I run into "path too long" errors on the remote file servers because the field personnel feel compelled to write the next goddamned american novel for file/folder names. Standards have their place.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

You know, getting in a tizzy and ranting over folder structures may be a bit extreme, but I can damned well see where he's coming from. Too often I run into "path too long" errors on the remote file servers because the field personnel feel compelled to write the next goddamned american novel for file/folder names. Standards have their place.

:agreed:

I can imagine myself in a situation where I'd go ballistic and institute a policy like that. Of course, mine would be objectively perfect in every way instead of Bob's guy's thing. :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Storysmith posted:

Backstory for this, please? What in the hell?

The very short version is PCI compliance for personally identifying information. We get information from users and post it directly to a compliant 3rd-party API, but have no compliant secure local storage for it because of how our data warehousing was previously set up (it's externally secure, but too many people inside the company have access to the hosts the data is on). The interim solution is to have someone go to the API's website and copy-paste information from it into a secure Google doc.

Bob Morales posted:

This falls under the category of "poor man's CMS". The basic idea is fairly sane, especially if you're in an environment where you need documents stored for compliance but people keep storing them as "2013 receipts (1) REAL (3) updated.xlsx".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ursine Asylum posted:

The interim solution is to have someone go to the API's website and copy-paste information from it into a secure Google doc.

Which is already tokenized, right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So you know how you just shouldn't discuss politics in the office, especially when you know your coworkers have varying political views?

Well if you're a vendor rep with us for the week, probably don't randomly bring up politics. I at least have an idea of where my coworkers are and now where to stay to keep me from wanting to rip their eyes out, but as a visitor for four days, you have no idea. Stay on the safe side, if you have to talk about the news, talk about the Patriots and their deflated balls.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Around here deflategate can get more heated than politics...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

OAquinas posted:

That's nice, but he doesn't want more than 12 files per folder and that just means it's gonna be more and more folders.

e: My manager is a small town conservative idiot, who thinks money and aid shouldn't be sent to Nepal because they should just work harder. Also, African refugees should be shot in the Mediterranean

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

evol262 posted:

Which is already tokenized, right?

I'd think "probably not" because we need the real information to generate tax documentation, but since I'm just the developer I don't have access to the API's backend to look at what it's displaying. All I do know is that we're doing this and nobody's complaining about it. :shrug:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jeoh posted:

That's nice, but he doesn't want more than 12 files per folder and that just means it's gonna be more and more folders.

Well, that's just stupid. Keeping top-level stuff generic, organizing by date, eliminating redundant words, and specializing as you go down the tree are all good ideas though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had an old job where people would add !!!!! to their files to get them up at the top of the folder in network shares. Finally a co-worker got pissy enough about it that he wrote some script that moved any file with an exclamation point in it to some folder called zzzzzz. What a poo poo storm that caused.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm becoming more convinced as each day passes that nobody really has any idea about what they are doing, and that organisations achieve things mainly by luck, and even then 70% of effort spent in pursuit of these goals is completely wasted.

Success is just a happy accident, everyday is just spent winging it because nobody knows what the gently caress.

And I probably post about it a lot, but Salesforce pisses me off; today particularly because I want to bin off CRM's completely.

From the start it's never been used properly, mostly the sales side which is the main function of the whole thing as we have our special snowflake way of doing it with excel sheet notifications. Only the past two weeks we've finally got the team on board using it properly and we've hit a loving snag, there's an automated E-mail containing client details that gets sent out when a new account is created so our advisers knows whats up and what to do next. Problem is two different departments want something similar but also containing site information and contacts as well, sounds simple but there's no way to pull any data deeper than the main account page other than basic fields.

This then leads to push back from said departments saying we may as well keep the old lovely way, which leads to the sales team thinking gently caress this we're staying with the old way then.
AGGGRRRHHHHHHHHH :tizzy: why does everything have to be so convoluted and lovely!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had an old job where people would add !!!!! to their files to get them up at the top of the folder in network shares. Finally a co-worker got pissy enough about it that he wrote some script that moved any file with an exclamation point in it to some folder called zzzzzz. What a poo poo storm that caused.

Should've used ÿ

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

poo poo pissing me off

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off: People who can't pick up the drat phone and call me themselves so I get to do the "What's your name? What's the issue" dance TWICE. Person ALSO giving me a shortened version of their name when they have a common as hell last name and names are listed in the system by given name, not nicknames. These people call almost every god drat day. This isn't a new procedure. These employees call helpdesk like it's some new and scary thing when it hasn't changed in the 3 years we've had them as a client. I have to drag information out of them for something as simple as first name, last name and issue. Don't deal with healthcare IT kids. It might actually shorten your lifespan.

Things not pissing me off: I finished my CCENT training :D Going to schedule my 1st attempt for next month :D