Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: google tells me there's a Griffith pony and... wow, they loving nailed his hair actually. funny that I'm so desensitized to this poo poo that that's the first thing I notice.

That one's actually legit awesome.

EDIT: New page deserves Pony Griffith

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
god drat there's a lot of Berserk tattoos on the internet btw, of varying quality

i'm not even gonna post any of the Brand of Sacrifice ones on their own because there's like a loving million and they're not very interesting

kinda assy-looking:

can't img this one cause it's :nws:

(tellingly named regret.jpg when I found it)

decent:

:krad::

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Thought that NSFW one was gonna be Farnese on Gut's sword scene. Its an impressive 1:1, but why.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

When I started to binge-read Berserk years ago in an attempt to catch up to whatever the current page was at the time, I had to stop because I was getting nightmares. So I'm alright with a bit of a gap between chapters. This manga's never going to finish, though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Yesss

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Pure sin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNiXVgbyQk

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

do you not find the double page spreads of architecture exhausting.

reading it all at once, was there a point where you noticed that you liked it less, or more, suddenly.

When I started I wasn't really digging it much at all. Then at the end of the fight with the count when Guts tells the daughter to just die cause life sucks and then she falls and grabs hold of the sword to save herself. It keyed me into the whole premise of the story which is that life is struggle but you can't give up. After that I realized how much all the bleak as hell murder/rape/mayhem was used to work towards that theme, rather than just some cheap 80s muscle man fantasy.

It's actually the thing that Berserk does so well compared to so many other stories. Every instance where a character grows in some way is a long, and painful process. The best example is how Guts and Casca don't just fall in love. They form some mutual understanding over years, then he leaves her, comes back and realizes he loves her, then leaves her again for revenge, only to finally realize he just repeated the same mistake he made before when he left her. I feel like in most other stories he would set out to get revenge because it would be revealed somehow that killing Griffith is how to bring her back, or he would just set about healing her, then they would team up to get revenge. Instead, he sets out to get revenge which does nothing for her, realizes this and then comes back to help her which eliminates any hope he has for vengeance. In Berserk the two are mutually exclusive, he can't kill the big bad and save the girl. He has to choose and either choice leaves him feeling unfulfilled and unheroic. Even better is the fact that in finally choosing to be with her over revenge he still has to contend with the fact that she is nothing like who he fell in love with and that she at this point hates him; he finally realizes he loves her and will be with her but it's not like making the choice brings an end to the struggle. It's actually harder for him to both love her and be with her at the same time because he has to watch as she rejects him even while he destroys himself to protect her, all the while knowing that she might never love him back again. But through it all he just keeps on truckin, and it's very inspiring.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, which will update first, Berserk or Hunter X Hunter?
And why is it so hard for manga characters on boats to get anywhere?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Straw Hats get by just fine

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
One of the best Berserk arc endings. I actually felt bad for the Count at the end.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I know most people in here know that Dark Souls is full of Berserk references, but I just finished playing it for the first time and I absolutely loved seeing so much inspiration taken from the series. The giant butterfly with a death horn out on the front, the skulls intertwined on the breaking wheel, Skull Knight's armor / sword. Does the second game have references like these as well? I know Dragon's Dogma has its own fair share of references like Gut's and Griffith's Golden Age armor sets.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah the second game has some as well. One of the swords looks just like Guts', there's an area called the dragon aerie towards the end of the game which is a copy paste of one of the panels from one of the more recent chapters, plus many of the stuff from DS1 that's a reference like bone wheels, the eye orbs, etc. make a return.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It's a bit of a stretch, but the suspicious shadows always put me in mind of a skinny guy in berserker armour.

Also, apologies for quoting myself from just a few pages ago, but I guess it's relevant:

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I was playing Legend of Mana today, and look what I found on the ceiling of the blacksmith's workshop:

The Dragonslayer turns up in so many games. :O

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started rereading Berserk, and a couple things spring to mind:

One, wow, Guts was such an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat in the first few chapters (the Black Swordsman bits). Also a bit more smiley, even outside of his crazy bloodlust moments, than I remember him being post-Golden Age. Huh.

Two, the people who complain about all the magic and stuff and that it "doesn't fit" Berserk seem to have forgotten that Puck, in all his ultra-cutesy glory, has been in the comic to provide comic relief and magical healing since the first chapter. He's a whole level beyond, well, pretty much anything that comes later, at least in my opinion. Edit: Though I suppose he has a bit less of a focus than the later magical stuff, which is a different issue. Still not something I mind in either instance, but I suppose that argument has more merit.

Also wow I thought the first few chapters I read that were translated were bad, using "Gatts" instead of "Guts" and such, but now they're even worse. I need to pick up the official release or something. I wonder if there's a digital version.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 15, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why wouldn't magic fit? From the very start Guts was cursed by a god and fighting monsters. It isn't like it started with the golden age and then crammed in the supernatural all at once.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Also wow I thought the first few chapters I read that were translated were bad, using "Gatts" instead of "Guts" and such, but now they're even worse. I need to pick up the official release or something. I wonder if there's a digital version.

You're probably reading Band of the Hawk scans. They're pretty bad. but I don't hold it against them since they actually.. you know, did the scanlations instead of just leaving the scene empty. Evil Genius is quality releases. I don't believe EG has gone back to do the older volumes though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Or you know the real translations

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Roland Jones posted:

I started rereading Berserk, and a couple things spring to mind:

Gatts, because he's got big weapons/swords and poo poo man. Gatts is fine. It is a good name. Guts is like...suck.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Guts suppose to be German?

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
He's called Guts because he was found under a dead woman, covered in guts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, that would be Götz, as in Götz von Berlichingen, the famous 16th century German mercenary with a prosthetic iron hand who Guts is definitely not based on.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Mraagvpeine posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

I don't care what Miura says he so based Guts off this guy. I mean just look at the iron prosthetic hand. COME ON!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought I remembered hearing something like that. In the Berserk world, would you say that Guts is from that world's Germany?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought I remembered hearing something like that. In the Berserk world, would you say that Guts is from that world's Germany?

Noth much info has been given about the world at large, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that Midland is based around A European country. Maybe Britain, France or Germany.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not really based on any one nationality, the armor designs and heraldry are all over the place which is fine with me. There's nothing known about Guts heritage except that he was born from a dead woman and his adoptive father was a scumbag

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tormented posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

I don't care what Miura says he so based Guts off this guy. I mean just look at the iron prosthetic hand. COME ON!

Even beyond the name and the hand, Götz spent most of his life as a mercenary prosecuting feuds against various nobles around Germany, eventually being declared an outlaw, but later joined up with the Holy Roman Emperor to battle Kushan Ottoman invaders from the east.

It really can't be a coincidence.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

coathat posted:

Or you know the real translations

I mean they were doing it when nobody else was. When did Dark Horse start doing official translations? Mid 2000s?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YouTuber posted:

You're probably reading Band of the Hawk scans. They're pretty bad. but I don't hold it against them since they actually.. you know, did the scanlations instead of just leaving the scene empty. Evil Genius is quality releases. I don't believe EG has gone back to do the older volumes though.

Well, Band of the Hawk was the one I was referring to in the first part of that post, but then there was a different group that had horrible image quality as well as translations. Then there were some groups that used silly fonts for normal text, etc. Though the Band of the Hawk is also the group that decided to call Miura's official names "mangled transliterations" in what is the most amazingly pissy preface to one of their scans that I've seen.

Seriously, wow. Normally I wouldn't be so hard on someone but if that's their attitude, jeez. Though I've reached where EG seems to start on this site and they had Guts call the Emperor something like "human being-rear end old man" or whatever, so despite all this the Band of the Hawk might be the best still? Jeez. At least EG isn't using highly out-of-place honorifics everywhere, I suppose, and actually localizes things then puts in localization notes in the back rather than leaving the original Japanese then saying "this doesn't have a simple English equivalent, but it basically means '<simple English equivalent>'" and the like, which was common in the Hawk scans. So I suppose it's an improvement, or at least a lateral move, barring the extremely out of place slang that pops up every so often.

Anyway, on a different topic, rereading this I'm remembering a lot of things I had forgotten. Currently up to the Windham resistance talking about Griffith kicking Kushan's rear end at that one port city; despite Schierke and such being here (I remember a lot of people complaining about her arrival being when the comic got bad or less dark or something) things are still pretty hosed up and crazy. The Qliphoth was pretty messed up, even before Slan appeared. The only thing I'm personally annoyed with is how much Griffith stuff there is; in and of itself it's alright, with some good moments and art, but it feels like there's too much time dedicated to what is blatantly meant to be a foregone conclusion. This could have been compressed a little, I think.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 22, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Beggars can't be choosers. Pony up for Dark Horse or read the lovely free stuff.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

crosspost from chat thread, enjoy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Even beyond the name and the hand, Götz spent most of his life as a mercenary prosecuting feuds against various nobles around Germany, eventually being declared an outlaw, but later joined up with the Holy Roman Emperor to battle Kushan Ottoman invaders from the east.

It really can't be a coincidence.

Ah yes, the 1st Siege of Vienna was in the 16th century, too. I forgot about that. Sadly after looking up the timeline on Wikipedia, seems the Kaiser relieved Götz from his Acht too late for him to fight at the siege, instead he got dragged into a later campaign. A campaign which ended so badly von Berlichingen was relieved and send home after a couple months.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

The only thing I'm personally annoyed with is how much Griffith stuff there is.
I agree, the sheer number of chapters ending with oh-so-magnificent Griffith looking into the distance is astounding. At least it strengthened my hatred for him.
By the way, the correct quote you were searching is "fagot-rear end monsters". And yes, this translation did irk me as completely undermining the established tone of both manga and Guts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PiedPiper posted:

I agree, the sheer number of chapters ending with oh-so-magnificent Griffith looking into the distance is astounding. At least it strengthened my hatred for him.
By the way, the correct quote you were searching is "fagot-rear end monsters". And yes, this translation did irk me as completely undermining the established tone of both manga and Guts.

Since Griffith is the Real Hero, it makes sense.

Here's a man who pursued a dream, and got it. He got his kingdom. Now he's a god. Guts is just a hater of dreams.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Bummer.. I was hoping there was a new chapter out...

Does anybody know what is going on with Miura?
Did he get completely burned out or sick? or both?

lyricaldanichan fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 26, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uh, the explanation was on this very page, man.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

dotJPG posted:

crosspost from chat thread, enjoy

I knew something was off when they edited in a girl who isn't as cute as Griffith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Looks like Griffith to me.