Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Saros is too good at CTGW and you will be destroyed. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hey now its 1916 and you still have Berlin and some of the German fleet, whats to complain about?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Saros posted:

I'm happy to play either side or year.

1914 I'll take the entente

code is goons

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fausty posted:

I just bought CMBN and the CW expac. RIP wallet, I knew thee well.

Your wallet is not dead, it's just anorectic.

uPen posted:

Nazis don't show up for another 15 years or so.

But Hitler is there.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

uPen posted:

Nazis don't show up for another 15 years or so.

Rude. I would have played perfidious Albion.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Saros posted:

Hey now its 1916 and you still have Berlin and some of the German fleet, whats to complain about?

Yeah, I got this. Thank god Bulgaria is still onside.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, I got this. Thank god Bulgaria is still onside.

At least there won't be any "We were stabbed in the back!" in this timeline.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Stabbed from every direction, repeatedly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Is there any good Cold War politics stuff? Particularly the 50s or 60s. That's what I study and nobody does it justice.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

there's twilight struggle, and, uh, ???????????

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

corn in the bible posted:

Is there any good Cold War politics stuff? Particularly the 50s or 60s. That's what I study and nobody does it justice.

Well, there's Twilight Struggle and those old games, Balance of Power? I don't quite remember.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Er, politics? In my wargames?

Really though, no. The only Cold War stuff that exists is for hypothetical "Cold-War-gone-hot" scenarios. Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, WinSPMBT, a bunch of John Tiller Cold War-era games, and uh... I guess the Wargame: EE/ALB/RD games.

Kinda surprised Battlefront hasn't made a Cold War Combat Mission game yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah off the top of my head Twilight Struggle, 1989, and Wir Sind Das Volk cover Cold War politics but they're all boardgames (albeit with online implementations, TS is getting a full Steam release soon IIRC)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Drone posted:

Really though, no.

Actually, Balance of Power was just that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

There's Balance of Power and Crisis in the Kremlin that I know of off the top of my head, but they're both pretty old and both cover the '80s more, anyways.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Stabbed from every direction, repeatedly

I'd say 'you didn't need that southern pincer anyway' about our game but the really funny thing is you probably don't :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh, there's also Shadow President, but it's at the very tail end of the Cold War.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drone posted:

Oh, there's also Shadow President, but it's at the very tail end of the Cold War.

Shadow President is cool, as is the sequel. It just seems like an untapped potential...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shadow President is cool, as is the sequel. It just seems like an untapped potential...

I'd play it a lot more if the game weren't just so drat slow. You can have it running for a couple hours and still only advance time a few months.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panthers in the Fog appeared on Steam, it looks like the floodgates of Matrix developers have opened now they've seen some sales figures.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I downloaded and installed the demos for CM:Black Sea, Red Thunder, Fortress Italy, and Battle for Normandy, and have been getting into them in a big way this weekend. It's finally starting to click for me. I think in the past I always tried to approach CM games like any other RTS (CoH, etc.), rushing forward too quickly and thinking my little pixelmen were not nearly as fragile as they really are. Playing through the starter scenarios, I figured out that in most cases, you have like sixty goddamn turns to win the battle, there's no reason to try to get everything done in the first fifteen minutes. Take it slow and steady, plan your poo poo out, have reasons for doing things, and you'll do fine (and have fun).

Now I'm just so torn on which of the games to actually buy first. Between the four demos there's already a pretty hefty amount of free content right there, so I have a bit of time to decide after I work through all of them.

Have Battlefront said what the next CM game will be? Or an expansion or something?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Drone posted:

So I downloaded and installed the demos for CM:Black Sea, Red Thunder, Fortress Italy, and Battle for Normandy, and have been getting into them in a big way this weekend. It's finally starting to click for me. I think in the past I always tried to approach CM games like any other RTS (CoH, etc.), rushing forward too quickly and thinking my little pixelmen were not nearly as fragile as they really are. Playing through the starter scenarios, I figured out that in most cases, you have like sixty goddamn turns to win the battle, there's no reason to try to get everything done in the first fifteen minutes. Take it slow and steady, plan your poo poo out, have reasons for doing things, and you'll do fine (and have fun).

Now I'm just so torn on which of the games to actually buy first. Between the four demos there's already a pretty hefty amount of free content right there, so I have a bit of time to decide after I work through all of them.

Have Battlefront said what the next CM game will be? Or an expansion or something?

Black Sea just came out so I'd expect it to just be expansions for a while. Probably one for Red Thunder soon?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What I want is a 'Ukrainian Irregulars' DLC. I want to fight over donesk airport with my little poorly trained and equipped troopers. I want russians without insignia too!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

apseudonym posted:

Black Sea just came out so I'd expect it to just be expansions for a while. Probably one for Red Thunder soon?

So far Black Sea is in the running for my favorite of the four, but I feel like so far it lacks some of the random element that the WW2 titles have. In CM:BS, I feel like the state of modern military technology just underscores that if you get spotted at all, you're dead.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Drone posted:

So far Black Sea is in the running for my favorite of the four, but I feel like so far it lacks some of the random element that the WW2 titles have. In CM:BS, I feel like the state of modern military technology just underscores that if you get spotted at all, you're dead.

But its so brutal and awesome to watch. Every BMP3 that dies is pure joy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*[LASER WARNING]*

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Baloogan posted:

*[LASER WARNING]*

Javelin impact.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Drone posted:

Very few things survive for long, that's for sure. It makes for some really intensive H2H dynamics, though - like chess with fog of war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

When I first played Shock Force I tried to play it like I was playing Warhammer 40k or something and was rushing Strykers right up to the front door of hostile buildings so the infantry inside could dismount and assault straight in.

e: twitch stream of Starhammer - http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup/b/659084364. Looks good.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 16, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Alchenar posted:

When I first played Shock Force I tried to play it like I was playing Warhammer 40k or something and was rushing Strykers right up to the front door of hostile buildings so the infantry inside could dismount and assault straight in.

I can't help feeling my little pixel troops would have saddled me with some kind of "old blood and guts" moniker given how bloody my missions tend to be (but I've been succeeding, damnit!).

Maybe I was more cut out to be a Russian commander. :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Warsaw to Paris has stalled. I know someone was going on holiday or something but I just want to check that someone isn't blissfully sitting on the save having failed to pass it on. PS we should use the Matrix pbem system it's not broken.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can I play Ultimate General: Gettysburg against the AI with my wife? Or is it versus only for humans?

We are looking into the next grognardish game to play against AI mostly due to the hassle of multiplayer, and Theatre of War has been mostly the game for us.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Not exactly grognardish, but I believe Battle academy 2 has cooperative campaign play.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Goddamn I really wish DC: Case Blue had coop :argh:. Am I able to like, separate army groups and then save after moving only x groups then a friend can take y?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Can I play Ultimate General: Gettysburg against the AI with my wife? Or is it versus only for humans?

Don't believe so, no, Gettysburg is pretty strictly two sides only.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I've often encountered the argument against coop in grognard or strategy games being "yeah but it'd be hard to find the same player again" or "yeah but what if the players just ignore you or ruin your game and the immersion by doing their own thing".

I mean, I have a goddamn wife. She's here everyday and if we sabotage each other's efforts, maybe we have issues. Where is the coop of "a person in your household" going to?

I loving love playing Anno games with her on just a shared setting where everyone can do everything with no artificial limits. Could a player ruin this game type by just deletint bullding you build?
Yes. But get better friends I guess?

Most easiest coop is to just share the controls. Give me that.
The coop games are hard to find for us.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

I've often encountered the argument against coop in grognard or strategy games being "yeah but it'd be hard to find the same player again" or "yeah but what if the players just ignore you or ruin your game and the immersion by doing their own thing".
/quote]

The actual reason is that very few people even play 2 player games in this genre because it's usually so time consuming and because grogs are so anti-social. New features like that take time to implement and test but the rewards are not proportionate to the investment. AI improvements serve 99% of players while multiplayer improvements serve perhaps 10% of players.

[quote]Most easiest coop is to just share the controls. Give me that.

It's not easy at all if the game is not coded to work like that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

If you're looking for a groggy co-op strategy game and aren't too fussed about realism, have you looked into Dominions 4? It works pretty well as a co-op game in Disciple mode, and if you're not an expert player the AI can put up enough of a fight to be interesting, though it isn't particularly good.

Just be warned - it is crazy groggy, right down to the terrible interfaces.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Order of Battle: Pacific has co-op vs AI maps :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You could force your own co-op mode into WitP or WitE by just passing the save around, and pinky-swearing that you'll only conduct actions in your bit of the theater. You take over the Americans, your wife takes over the rest of the Allies, etc.

But it's not simultaneous co-op. :(