Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was a brutal episode. Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
A re-enactment of today's scene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, thinking back, Araki arranged these last few fights in a really sadistic way.

Here's a goofball version of D'arby. :)

Now here's Vanilla Ice. :black101:

Here's Nukesaku and Senator Wilson Phillips. :)

This is the World, Kakyoin. :black101:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Holy poo poo.

This episode made me tense and worried as hell, and I already know how this turns out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Voice Actors of Jotaro and Rohan (ASB) singing Stand Proud and Sono Chi No Sadame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__jPkucX_CM

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

stay down you brave, lovely little dog, stay down :negative:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Holy poo poo, no wonder people only really remember a handful of Stardust Crusaders fights but regard the part fondly. Most are filler but they get you fond of the characters, and when poo poo goes down, it goes DOWN!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're not filler because the main plot isn't the main point anymore, the individual fights are.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The main plot is just a backdrop for wicked fights in Jojo, and it's gonna be that way here on out.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hell, Part 4 hardly even has a plot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they just kinda stumble into finding out about kira and then it works towards the end where the dude is run over by an ambulance and it's the greatest thing ever

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

they just kinda stumble into finding out about kira and then it works towards the end where the dude is run over by an ambulance and it's the greatest thing ever

"SO no CHI no SADAME
JOOOOOOOOO-
*ambulance siren, thump-thump*
JO!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Diamond is Unbreakable chapter 3
"Hey Josuke, keep an eye out for a stand user in your town, he's bad news."
[I didn't tell him, but maybe his stand is more powerful than Crazy Diamond?]

Diamond is Unbreakable chapter 8
He wasn't more powerful than Crazy Diamond, lets just gently caress around town looking for a dude with a bow and arrow.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was watching an action movie the other day and the good guy just single-handedly chewed through so many minions. I couldn't believe how much filler there was.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seeing The Fool all hosed up is a tearjerker. the way it twitches :smith:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 15, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

Diamond is Unbreakable chapter 3
"Hey Josuke, keep an eye out for a stand user in your town, he's bad news."
[I didn't tell him, but maybe his stand is more powerful than Crazy Diamond?]

Diamond is Unbreakable chapter 8
He wasn't more powerful than Crazy Diamond, lets just gently caress around town looking for a dude with a bow and arrow.
Beat the guy who had the Bow and Arrow, but now there's a serial killer and his Ghost Dad is making more Stand Users so go deal with that, Josuke.

I like how Jotaro and Rohan take the work of finding the big villains, Josuke and Co. just kinda stumble into these fights. Other than that, it's Josuke and Pals cruising around the town, getting into adventures.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jotaro: What have you been up to, Josuke?

Josuke: Well, my friends and I won the lottery...

Jotaro: . . .

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

90% of Part 4 is kids getting in sandbox fights over whose made-up superpower is cooler and it's great.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If people hate on part iv I will lose my poo poo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

People will hate on Part 4. I guarantee it.

I used to hate on Part 4 before I came to my senses.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

If people hate on part iv I will lose my poo poo
If they're not in love with Part 4 by the time Josuke punches a plate of spaghetti to "fix" it and figure out why his friend's intestines just exploded out of his body, then well maybe they should just leave.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

People will hate on Part 4. I guarantee it.

I used to hate on Part 4 before I came to my senses.

I remember when I first got a few chapters into Part 4, I was really confused. Every other part set up the story and stakes pretty quickly but they had already found the guy who killed Josuke's grandpa and gave him a fate worse than death, now what the gently caress is all this about a bow and arrow? And now that guy's dead?

It's really quite different in narrative structure from the earlier parts, and still pretty removed from the rest of the series so far besides maybe (appropriately) JoJolion.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I disliked Part 4 coming straight from the end of part 3 because it felt so slow, but it eventually grew on me and became my favourite part by the time I finished reading it.

The fact that I started out on Duwang probably didn't help either :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

If they're not in love with Part 4 by the time Josuke punches a plate of spaghetti to "fix" it and figure out why his friend's intestines just exploded out of his body, then well maybe they should just leave.

People who don't enjoy the spaghetti fixing don't deserve Part IV. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When I was first getting into manga, I preferred it over American comics because the story actually went somewhere. Even if the particular plot in question was threadbare, things happened and the status quo changed; characters moved forward. I'm a big Superman fan, but that dude hasn't gone anywhere in almost a century.

When I hit Part 4 I hated it because everyone was just wasting their time getting into fights for no good reason. Kira didn't even show up until around the halfway mark. Part 4 to me was a meandering mess, something Araki drew to buy time between Parts 3 and 5. The individual quality of each fight didn't matter. I didn't even think about it.

All this to say I was a dumb kid who valued the destination over the journey. Nowadays some of my favorite stuff is episodic. I reread Part 4 and loved every panel. Well, almost every panel. I still don't care for Cheap Trick conceptually, even if Araki got a lot of great scenes out of it.

Okay, the new translation might've helped a bit.

I didn't deserve Part 4 then, and I don't expect a lot of /a/, MAL, and the like to deserve it now. Their loss.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

People who don't enjoy the spaghetti fixing don't deserve Part IV. :colbert:

Why are you guys bringing up spaghetti punching as the hypothetical battle that someone would complain about and like one of the actual terrible fights? Like Superfly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Potsticker posted:

Why are you guys bringing up spaghetti punching as the hypothetical battle that someone would complain about and like one of the actual terrible fights? Like Superfly.

What the gently caress is this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The great thing is that even if you go into jojo know the ending to things, it's still a great ride because it's all about the journey. It's not called JoJo's Bizarre Conclusion, it's all about the adventure.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

When I was first getting into manga, I preferred it over American comics because the story actually went somewhere. Even if the particular plot in question was threadbare, things happened and the status quo changed; characters moved forward. I'm a big Superman fan, but that dude hasn't gone anywhere in almost a century.

When I hit Part 4 I hated it because everyone was just wasting their time getting into fights for no good reason. Kira didn't even show up until around the halfway mark. Part 4 to me was a meandering mess, something Araki drew to buy time between Parts 3 and 5. The individual quality of each fight didn't matter. I didn't even think about it.

All this to say I was a dumb kid who valued the destination over the journey. Nowadays some of my favorite stuff is episodic. I reread Part 4 and loved every panel. Well, almost every panel. I still don't care for Cheap Trick conceptually, even if Araki got a lot of great scenes out of it.

Okay, the new translation might've helped a bit.

I didn't deserve Part 4 then, and I don't expect a lot of /a/, MAL, and the like to deserve it now. Their loss.

most of cheap trick's kind of eh but the ending rules hard and is Jojo's as hell

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Because it's the sort of "Pure filler" people who don't get Jojo are liable to complain about.

It has nothing to do with the overarching plot of the part. It doesn't really expand on the characters or the setting in any meaningful fashion. Tonio is never important again and never takes up the role of party healer or anything. It's a self-contained incident that in terms of plot mathematics might as well not have happened.

All this means there are people who will hate it even though Let's Go Eat Italian Food was one of the best things in Part 4.

Fungah! posted:

most of cheap trick's kind of eh but the ending rules hard and is Jojo's as hell
I've just never been keen on stands that require the user to die, with the notable exception of Civil War.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hope they work some of the Rohan sidestories into the Part 4 anime somehow. Even if it's just a special feature on the Blu-Rays or something.

I also didn't like Cheap Trick much either, but that was largely because it felt a bit like a retread of Empress and didn't really do anything better.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

All this means there are people who will hate it even though Let's Go Eat Italian Food was one of the best things in Part 4.
I've just never been keen on stands that require the user to die, with the notable exception of Civil War.

not even notorious BIG? because man, that fight's great

also yeah, I don't care much about the Cheap Trick fight, but the way Rohan wins the fight was smart and incredibly fun to see

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Notorious B.I.G. is a miss for me too.

Not to mention Trish coming down with a case of convenient superpowers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

And then she never uses them again

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Because it's the sort of "Pure filler" people who don't get Jojo are liable to complain about.

Those are some good points, but they apply to Superly as well, I mean except Tonio actually sticks around. Cheap Trick is similar to Superfly in that the Stand isn't really benefitial to the user, but it at least has a lot of comedy and doesn't take place out on a hill with no one around.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Part 5 has a lot of moments where Araki comes up with a concept so cool and crazy that he can't really deliver on it, like God actually heated up a burrito so hot he burned his mouth on it.

Potsticker posted:

Those are some good points, but they apply to Superly as well, I mean except Tonio actually sticks around. Cheap Trick is similar to Superfly in that the Stand isn't really benefitial to the user, but it at least has a lot of comedy and doesn't take place out on a hill with no one around.

I think Superfly is actually pretty drat funny, considering Josuke is fighting a living structure and the only way to win is trap that poor dude in his eternal prison.

Also the alien guy helps and I always thought he was underutilized.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What the gently caress is this

An actual opinion that can be argued instead of an invisible strawman using one of the best "fights" in part 4.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

Notorious B.I.G wasn't a fight I enjoyed either, but it started with Bruno walking into an airport and asking a man where the airplanes were parked and admitting his plan to steal one.

Also I'm so happy there's a Stand named after Biggie Smalls you have no idea.

e: Superfly is bad because that panel with the closeup on the guy's calluses grosses me out for some reason, but your Stand being a loving transmission tower is funny.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Potsticker posted:

You're missing the point, which is that Tonio is a GOOD FIGHT people will dismiss on the basis of being filler.

I've seen people throwing shade on D'Arby the Gambler for similar reasons. D'Arby the Gambler.

Potsticker posted:

An actual opinion that can be argued instead of an invisible strawman using one of the best "fights" in part 4.
I'm going to be generous and assume you're not talking about me since I used myself as an example and have linked people complaining about "Good but ultimately pointless" fights earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Invisible strawman sounds like a Stand concept.

Moltrey posted:

e: Superfly is bad because that panel with the closeup on the guy's calluses grosses me out for some reason, but your Stand being a loving transmission tower is funny.

I thought that was supposed to be kinda gross and awkward to help demonstrate how goddamn weird that dude is due to being stuck in his ridiculous situation.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread