Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sigh. Thinking of trading in Jeep and pickup for a Unimog.

Specifically, the yellow 1988 u1250 in this list
http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

Hydraulics front and rear, 3 way tipper bed. 6000lb payload rated. It would do everything my Jeep does but better, and everything my truck does, but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Were you on SA when I posted my pictures from the Unimog museum?

They're not spectacular but who doesn't love Unimogs. Sell the Jeep and buy the mog - do it!

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/JakAggro/library/Unimog%20Museum?sort=3&page=1

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

Were you on SA when I posted my pictures from the Unimog museum?

They're not spectacular but who doesn't love Unimogs. Sell the Jeep and buy the mog - do it!

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/JakAggro/library/Unimog%20Museum?sort=3&page=1

Yes I saw those long ago. Thanks for posting it again though. I love them. The only issue I have is I assume it doesn't have air conditioning. Is there such a thing as a roof top mounted unit that can work off a common alternator ?

I wonder if its too much truck, but the 4700lb load I put in the Ram the other day says maybe I need something bigger.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Sigh. Thinking of trading in Jeep and pickup for a Unimog.

Specifically, the yellow 1988 u1250 in this list
http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

Hydraulics front and rear, 3 way tipper bed. 6000lb payload rated. It would do everything my Jeep does but better, and everything my truck does, but better.

I'm not really sure what the decision is here. If you have enough cash and/or other things to trade for a Unimog you should do that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Trip Report
I drove just under 500km today and was able to see two trucks.
1. 1998 Toyota Tacoma
The Good: It ran well, the 4x4 worked, both high and low, and the seller wasn't a lunatic.
The Bad: The parking brake was disconnected by the 2-years-ago previous owner :psyduck: and, of course, RUST. There were rust holes THROUGH the bed near the passenger-side wheel-well, plus plenty of other panel rust all around the back half of the truck. Around the driver's side rear wheel arch, the tailgate, lots of places inside and outside the bed, the rear bumper, etc. I got underneath and while the frame rails were certainly dirty and had surface rust, they seemed solid. The rocker panels and all other sheet metal I saw was heavily corroded.
The Ugly:
1998 Toyota Tacoma by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

2. 1997 Ford Ranger
The Good: Very clean all around, much less rust than I was expecting. Really amazingly low levels of rust, considering the age of this truck and the fact it has spent at least the last few years in central Alberta. There was a bit of surface rust on the frame rails and suspension components, but the rocker panels were completely rust-free and the other problem areas - back corners of the cab, bottoms of doors, wheel wells, bed - were without rust. There were a couple of little surface patches at the back end, and the bottom of the tailgate had a bit of paint flaking off with some rust underneath, that didn't go all the way through. Everything I'm calling "surface rust" was brown corrosion on top of otherwise solid metal. This truck also had new tires in great shape and amazingly low km - only about 181 000. And it has the 4.0L V6. New battery, alternator, clutch, and front-end parts (suspension & front drivetrain, at least in part) in the last few months.
The Bad: The seller took off the insurance a little while ago because she has too many vehicles; she's a bit of a truck fanatic, she showed up in a Z71 and across the street was parked an older Chevy fullsize that she claimed had more than 400 000 km on it; she runs a courier company and prizes reliability over all other factors, so she apparently banks on having at least one fully-functional vehicle on hand at all times. So I couldn't take it for a test drive, but she started it up - it started fine - and we had a look under the hood wth the engine running for long enough to hear that it sounded fine, at least. Plus, the windshield is badly cracked and will need to be replaced soon.
The Ugly:
1997 Ford Ranger by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The owner of this 2002 Ranger wasn't paying any attention to his phone; I called and texted several times, as I said I would in a phone conversation we had Wednesday evening, but no reply or answer. Oh well.

I really like the 1997 Ranger, I told the seller I'd call her and let her know by Tuesday at the latest. The only reason I didn't just buy it on the spot - besides the fact I was alone and I'd need to work out how to get it back here from Red Deer - was because I don't want to impulse-buy a vehicle I might drive for several years. I was able to get insurance set up at the AMA in Red Deer, and money is in my account ready for spending, so I feel like all I need to do is make a decision. :)

EDIT: just to be clear, the decision I need to make is "1997 Ranger in Red Deer" vs. "Potential other truck, possibly that B4000, in Calgary or somewhere else". I'm not going to buy that Toyota; even if the seller cut his price in half I'd probably say no.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 16, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't you have non-owned coverage on your insurance? I guess if the truck isn't insured it's not technically registered either.

That Ranger looks way better in your photos than the Kijiji ones. You should take some handsome pictures of my cars one day.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't currenly own a car and I don't appear on any private individual's (e.g. my parents) insurance, either. I have been authorized to drive the work truck, a 2007 Ford F150, for the summer. It's owned by the University of Calgary and I am officially a volunteer there. It's been a little over a year since I got around to cancelling my Saskatchewan insurance on my BMW, after the necessary period of grieving to get from denial ("It can be repaired! An engine swap is no big deal!") to Acceptance ("Yes, hi, I have a partly-parted-out car-cass in my parking spot. Please take it to your junkyard").

I thought about renting a trailer and towing a purchase back here to Seba Beach with the work truck, but I remembered there was a section in the agreement I signed with UofC regarding trailering and I can't remember if I would be allowed to do that. Plus the fuel burn in the F150 is horrifying (to me) even unloaded.

Setting up insurance at AMA today included a congratulations from the agent that I was smart enough to bring my Saskatchewan Driver's Abstract with me, and that while a 1-year gap is fine, 2 or more years without being an insured driver is a problem. While that Ranger was wearing plates (visible in photo) the seller told me about the insurance situation before I could ask about a test-drive and I didn't push it.

And I'd be happy to take some pictures of your cars!
Honestly it's the lowest bar I've seen to clear - SO. MANY. KIJIJI. ADS. have just absolutely terrible photographs. Is it really that hard to rotate a photo? Or to take more than zero photos of a vehicle you're trying to sell for thousands of dollars?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

I'm not really sure what the decision is here. If you have enough cash and/or other things to trade for a Unimog you should do that.

Mostly just going from two modern vehicles to one big loud shakey 80's or older vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Mostly just going from two modern vehicles to one big loud shakey 80's or older vehicle.

How is that not the best part?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How is a Unimog ever a wrong answer?

gently caress me, I can't remember the last time we had a nice May long weekend. Next week highs are supposed to be mid 20s, but the long weekend itself is rain and lucky to hit 10. Risk of frost tomorrow night too. Good thing we just planted the garden :saddowns:

e: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1979-firebird/1071146259?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 16, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha the Unimogs are so cool but with the pickup, I can tow down to Glamis sand dunes or whatever. It would suck driving one to California towing a trailer.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

How is a Unimog ever a wrong answer?

gently caress me, I can't remember the last time we had a nice May long weekend. Next week highs are supposed to be mid 20s, but the long weekend itself is rain and lucky to hit 10. Risk of frost tomorrow night too. Good thing we just planted the garden :saddowns:

e: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1979-firebird/1071146259?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm allergic to those cars when they're in good condition. I'd love one that's mechanically perfect but has a beat to poo poo exterior and interior. :swoon:

Edit: If I had $2100 I'd rip the sleeves off my shirt and go buy this right now

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/firebird-1976/1071236682?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gently caress why do I do this to myself?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1979-pontiac-firebird/1069207236?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Got the kart running for a grand total of 5 minutes to make sure it moved under its own power and didn't leak. Rookie school is tomorrow so this should be interesting. The kart is about 30lbs under weight and all the weight is at the back, so I'm probably going to focus on trying to not spin out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Got the kart running for a grand total of 5 minutes to make sure it moved under its own power and didn't leak. Rookie school is tomorrow so this should be interesting. The kart is about 30lbs under weight and all the weight is at the back, so I'm probably going to focus on trying to not spin out.

I hope your go-kart is actually a jet ski.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its a snowmobile if you go by the oil I used for the fuel mixture.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hope your go-kart is actually a jet ski.

Ah, just throw on a poncho and some goggles.

Also, i'm in red deer, but most of my stuff gets 13mpg.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 17, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

The only reason I didn't just buy it on the spot - besides the fact I was alone and I'd need to work out how to get it back here from Red Deer.

Just FYI, I'm usually up for a road trip to help any of you guys bring a vehicle back to Calgary/area. Payment not required or anything, but if you want to kick some cash my way for gas I won't refuse it (the accent is a sipper).

Give me a day or two of notice if possible.

I even have a two axle flatdeck trailer if you're not getting a runner. Might need a few extra days to get that out though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's very generous of you, Slung. I'm near Edmonton at the moment but Calgary next weekend is a possibility - this could get convoluted but still doable, I think.

That B4000 in Cowtown has disappeared from Kijiji, and I heard nothing back from my email - I think it sold. :( There are still plenty of options all over the province right now, so I'm not especially worried, but it would be nice to get this done. The number of things I want to do without worrying about using the work truck for personal funstuff keeps growing.

My boss is arriving this evening and tonight plus tomorrow are going to see a whole lot of planning and schedule-making, so I don't want to make any plans to go truck shopping right now. But, I'll be buying some liquids (gasoline, ethanol diluted with water) for iv46vi on Tuesday or Wednesday unless my boss' plans are crazy. Assuming he's still up for it. :)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So driving that kart is genuinely terrifying. The lack of front brakes coupled with no suspension and near infinite power pretty much meant I was fighting the thing through every corner trying to get it to turn but not spin.

Also I think I flooded the engine or fouled a spark plug or something.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

So driving that kart is genuinely terrifying. The lack of front brakes coupled with no suspension and near infinite power pretty much meant I was fighting the thing through every corner trying to get it to turn but not spin.

Also I think I flooded the engine or fouled a spark plug or something.

What kind of drivetrain is it running?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Two stroke with a chain drive.

I think the gearing is off since the thing pretty much just idles through the corners which would explain either the flooding or the fouled plug.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

... on Tuesday or Wednesday unless my boss' plans are crazy. Assuming he's still up for it. :)

Tuesday is wide open, but Wednesday first half of the day is Habitat gig so something after 4pm at the earliest.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

iv46vi posted:

Tuesday is wide open, but Wednesday first half of the day is Habitat gig so something after 4pm at the earliest.

Cool. I need to call AMA insurance and figure out what happens if I buy a truck after business hours - can I still get it insured to the point I can drive it to my (temporary) home, then register it and complete the song-and-dance a day or two later? They told me I had 30 days to register a vehicle after I buy it, but I'm pretty sure I need insurance, doable by phone, immediately.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

Two stroke with a chain drive.

I think the gearing is off since the thing pretty much just idles through the corners which would explain either the flooding or the fouled plug.

What displacement? 250?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

What displacement? 250?

125, my impression talking to the guy was that he had absolutely no idea what he was doing with the carb and was just sort of loving around with it. It definitely struggled through the midrange of RPMs so I'm thinking spark plug at this point. Whether it was just worn out or its coated in oil I'll need to find out. Going to take a look at it tomorrow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So my neighbor, a really good guy and a great family, took delivery of his dream car today.

Not my idea of "dream car" at all, but gotta keep those dreams realistic I suppose.

My attainable dream would probably be 80s or 90s and either German or Italian but to each their own.

The arguing for the garage this fall will be glorious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Not my thing either, but good for him I suppose.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Cool. I need to call AMA insurance and figure out what happens if I buy a truck after business hours - can I still get it insured to the point I can drive it to my (temporary) home, then register it and complete the song-and-dance a day or two later? They told me I had 30 days to register a vehicle after I buy it, but I'm pretty sure I need insurance, doable by phone, immediately.

Do you have a plate to put on a truck? Then you can drive it home same day, current insurance should have a provision that covers any new car you just bought.

Other solutions include calling AMA for a tow or leaving a deposit and coming back next day with paperwork and plates.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

So my neighbor, a really good guy and a great family, took delivery of his dream car today.

Not my idea of "dream car" at all, but gotta keep those dreams realistic I suppose.

My attainable dream would probably be 80s or 90s and either German or Italian but to each their own.

The arguing for the garage this fall will be glorious.

You know what ? They're a weird car but I bet cruising in the canyon is really satisfying in one of those. And some sort of hemi swap or ls swap would be glorius.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly they'd be good cars with nothing more than a manual. The EGG isn't a monster but it had no problem making the 3700lb 300M feel almost properly peppy so in a chassis that weighs 900lb less and RWD it can't be that bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder how compatible a modern Pentastar setup would be. That's a pretty nice engine, all things considered.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When it was on the carrier I took a look underneath it. The aluminum frame and the way it was laid out was kind of cool with the transaxle.

That 4 speed auto is quite possibly the worst transmission they could have put into it though, not exactly sure what Chrysler was thinking when they made that the only choice.

I knew they were pretty small, but the cockpit was really small and the doors only opened about half what I expected they would.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 18, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Not my cup of tea but if you warmed it up a bit that would probably be a decent cruiser. Good for trips up the Going To The Sun with a stop for pie.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Nice, I've always thought the Prowler was underloved.

I drove through Edson today, the GM dealership had a Prowler and a Saturn Sky sitting out front. I also saw Paul Walker's Eclipse driving down the highway. Do people replicate that car a lot? I swear I saw one on the QE2 as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shoota_McG posted:

I also saw Paul Walker's Eclipse driving down the highway. Do people replicate that car a lot? I swear I saw one on the QE2 as well.

I've seen a few in Alberta. It's a good looking livery, ricey without being totally obnoxious.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Oh yeah the jet in the carb is too rich you shouldn't have used the oil mixture I recommended for the kart."

:suicide:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Big, BIG thanks to iv46vi today, because he was instrumental in my purchase of a truck.

I'm pretty tired, so just a couple of pictures tonight. First impressions will wait until tomorrow - but zeroth impressions are "ALBERTA!"

Truck:
Truck! 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Truck doin' Truck Stuff:
Truck! 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
That truck is entirely too clean. I haven't washed mine since I bought it.

[edit]Actually no, I washed it once last summer.

[edit2] Nice truck are those bars on the bed stock?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 20, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! The dirt will be applied soon, I agree - my truck is too clean right now.

I don't think those bars are stock, I haven't seen them on any other Rangers around here. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, yet - what I really want is a full-height canopy, but that's not an urgent priority right now.

Priorities:
- Windshield replacement. It's in very rough shape.
- Diagnose and repair the shuddering/surging it does under even light throttle.
- Diagnose and repair the clicking sound from the steering, and the intermittent vibration while driving.
- Clear the check engine light that came up last night on my way up highway 2.
- Trace the hoses for the windshield washer fluid, it's not spraying at all.
- Thoroughly clean the interior of the cab, and sweep the debris out of the bed that was too heavy to blow out yesterday.

I think the shuddering, which only goes away when coasting, is a fuel problem. It had plates that expired in February on it, and a nearly-empty fuel tank, so I think the fuel filter needs to be replaced. The shuddering is too random to be a solid mechanical component. The spark plug wires look new, and I don't hear anything that (to my inexperienced ear) sounds like a misfire.
The clicking happens whenever I turn more sharply than typical highway lane-changes; in town (especially in parking lots) it's every turn I make. I think the CV joints need some attention.
The vibration might be the rear bearings, or it might be associated with the clicking at the front, I'm not sure.

I found the P.O.'s driver license when I flipped the sun visor down, and there's a small wrench in the driver-side door card pocket. She had seat covers on both front seats which I'm not sure I like, and given what else I've found accidentally I need to get in there and figure out what other debris to clear away.

I need this truck fully operational by the end of next week. I have not enough free time, no tools, and a gravel patch to park on so anything more ambitious than cleaning and the windshield washer hoses I'm going to give to a professional.

Google finds a number of local, presumably independent auto shops around - my choices are "Wally", "Jerry", or "Joe", plus an OK Tire.

EDIT: I found the owner's manual on-line. The automatic locking hubs at the front don't disengage after driving in 4WD unless the truck reverses direction for 10 feet in a straight line. I don't think I backed up 10 feet straight at any point yesterday, and I was messing around with the 4WD settings - it makes the same soft "clunk" when I switch to 4-HI as the work truck, I think it's working but I haven't worked out how to test the function of the 4x4 system yet. Any suggestions? Just find a sloppy soft dirt road and have a friend watch the wheels as I move back and forth?

EDIT2: Windshield hoses are fine, as far as I can tell. I think the pump is dead.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Find a dirt area, or anywhere that isn't pavement. Engage 4x4, turn sharp and if it feels like its binding and turning funny, its working. If you don't notice a difference, it might not be fine.