Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It should be noted that one of the only people to ever beat Shiva in a fight more than once is her daughter, Cassandra Cain-who went on to become Batgirl.

(But apparently not in the Arkhamverse. :smith:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Shiva's voice acting is so bad. It wouldn't be out of place on an Oblivion NPC, but no, this is supposed to be a major character - and it really stands out because the other voices seem to be quite well done.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Jesus, what were they thinking with Cyrus Pinkney? They already had Anarky tags and those weren't fun as it is. The story revealed isn't even worth it. Just a bad idea all around. Seeing Shiva was neat, but I'm still of the mind that all the 8 assassins should've been main game and not sidequest. It's a small thing, but I like when instead of "case closed" the text reads "Most Wanted file pending..." or Arkham City's "Flagged for further investigation at the Batcave."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I could never really tell if I didn't like this game as much as the other two because there were more things wrong with it or because I was kinda Batmanned out by the time it released. Probably a combination of the two.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Striking Yak posted:

I never knew about the Pinkney sidequest until I looked at a guide. Find a few tiny things in this entire city, with no indication to even search for them!

I found some of them but didn't scan them because I didn't know I was supposed to. No indication that they were a collection.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SonicRulez posted:

Jesus, what were they thinking with Cyrus Pinkney? They already had Anarky tags and those weren't fun as it is. The story revealed isn't even worth it. Just a bad idea all around. Seeing Shiva was neat, but I'm still of the mind that all the 8 assassins should've been main game and not sidequest. It's a small thing, but I like when instead of "case closed" the text reads "Most Wanted file pending..." or Arkham City's "Flagged for further investigation at the Batcave."

This can't be repeated enough.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: The Joker has been done to death, killed, jailed, resurrected then beaten to death again.
He is not interesting anymore, all iterations of the joker from here on out are either retreading old ground or just terrible.

Batman needs some new villains.
Or needs to stop being Bruce Wayne and get new villains.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Or needs to stop being Bruce Wayne and get new villains.
I'd love an Arkham Beyond game. But yeah, gently caress Joker. And Bane.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Striking Yak posted:

I never knew about the Pinkney sidequest until I looked at a guide. Find a few tiny things in this entire city, with no indication to even search for them!

Now we know why it's gotham's longest running cold case! :downs:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love an Arkham Beyond game. But yeah, gently caress Joker. And Bane.

Arkham Beyond would be great. I always thought Terry McGinnis made for a fantastic "new" Batman. Plus, since Terry wasn't as athletic as Bruce, the game could introduce new tricks for combat (I'm think something along the lines of jet-boots).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'd love to see new takes on the Beyond villains. Inque was always my favorite.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SonicRulez posted:

I'm still of the mind that all the 8 assassins should've been main game and not sidequest.

They are the main game. You HAVE to do them. Hence, not a sidequest. In fact, your last two boss fights are against the assassins, and then you get basically a cut scene with Joker.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Waltzing Along posted:

They are the main game. You HAVE to do them. Hence, not a sidequest. In fact, your last two boss fights are against the assassins, and then you get basically a cut scene with Joker.

Isn't shiva 100% skippable? I know I went far too long without crit strikes in at least one run.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, you can finish the story without fighting Shiva and Deadshot.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Also more talking thematically over systemwise. Even if you HAD to beat all eight robot assassins before facing Dr. Joker, the point remains that Joker essentially swept in and made the entire game about himself, when most players were just hyped for the deadliest night of dealing with eight legendary assassins all out for Batman's head.

Basically, the only thing he theoretically adds to it is brand name recognition for anyone who didn't play Asylum or City, but for anyone who did [which is probably most people who wanted to play Origins], he's an old record on repeat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I disagree. I think the Joker stuff coming up is the best in the series.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Waltzing Along posted:

True, but that doesn't change the fact that when I saw the "who is the Joker?" cutscene I found myself disappointed by the bait and switch into a character that got center stage in the last two games.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Mr. Highway posted:

Arkham Beyond would be great. I always thought Terry McGinnis made for a fantastic "new" Batman. Plus, since Terry wasn't as athletic as Bruce, the game could introduce new tricks for combat (I'm think something along the lines of jet-boots).

That would be pretty interesting. It would be a neat hybrid of some of the other characters you can play as. Core of Batman combat but more agile moves along the lines of Robin or Catwoman (sans stripper-moves). He didn't have as many gadgets as Bruce did, but the upgraded bat suit and a few throwbacks that showed up in the series (Freeze's ice pistol against Inque maybe?) could also work in an Arkham system.

As for mundane enemies, Splicers or Slappers would make decent upgraded enemies to replace martial artists and Enforces/Venom goons respectively. Royal Flush Gang Most Wanted sidequests, some kind of data collection thing for Max to crack, etc. Batman Beyond was a pretty good take on the future of Batman and it would translate well into this game engine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edit: Also, Kirigi's comments at the end of the Initiation DLC will change depending on how many medals you have. Scruffy got the best result due to getting all 15.

[Less than 9 Medals]

Kirigi: You may be the best foreigner I've trained yet... but that, I'm afraid, does not say much. Now get your basket and broom and attend to the latrines...

[9 - 14 Medals]

Kirigi: You have done well, novice, but you still have much to learn. For the time being, find a rag and clean the floors.

I feel like if you get all 15 Bruce should get up and go "You will be given the instruction you seek? I kind of wrecked your whole crew, man, quit acting like an rear end."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waltzing Along posted:

You can skip 2 of them entirely. Which is really lame since a person who chooses to do so will end Batman's night having only taken down 6 assassins. You're to assume the other 2 gave up I guess. You keep saying the Joker stuff in this game is some of the best Joker stuff of the series. I feel like you're missing the point though, mate. I don't think anyone disagrees with that in particular outside of slight difference in opinions. I think most people's beef is that even good Joker stuff is still MORE Joker. I love cookies and cream ice cream, but around the 3rd bowl I think I would rather not have any more of it for a long time. That's where I'm at with Joker.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah time to go inside the steel mill I guess.

Steel Cut Bats/Polsy

There's a few interesting things in the Steel Mill, one of which is Black Mask's (Joker's? Black Joker?) rejected ideas for assassins which are Chesire, Black Spider, and David Cain.

These can all be found in his office before you enter the cutscene.

Black Spider is another vigilante who wanted to work with Batman but he had too much of a murder hard-on, so Batman did his best to dissuade Black Spider. It didn't work out and Batman got himself a sometimes villain, sometimes not really an ally but he wants to be a good guy I guess.

Cheshire is an international terrorist and a frequent enemy of the Teen Titans. She's a skilled martial artist with a specialty in poisons, particularly coating long nails in poison. Generally known as the second most deadly assassin in the world, right behind Lady Shiva. She's also been romantically involved and has a child with Arsenal, a.k.a. Speedy, a.k.a. Roy Harper, Green Arrow's sometimes sidekick. Who was a member of the Teen Titans. Long story.

David Cain is a card carrying member of the League of Assassins and probably best known for two things. One of which is being one of the martial artists who trained a young Bruce Wayne on his way to being Batman. The other is being the parent (alongside Lady Shiva) of Cassandra Cain, one of the better loved and sorely missed Batgirls. Oh yeah, also he's the reason Lady Shiva became Lady Shiva? He killed her sister? Again, long story.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 15, 2015

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

If you'll remember back to the Lacey Towers case, when Batman solved it the cinematic showed Penguin opening up the double's shirt and not finding a pacemaker with accompanying text. I wonder if that meant Batman was supposed to find out that Black Mask had a pacemaker earlier?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

It's cheesy as gently caress and spells everything in a way that'd make even a complete idiot feel insulted. But I freely admit I never was a Joker fan.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Interesting that this room, for so late in the game: didn't have heartbeat monitors on all the dudes. Or any interaction with an overseer at all. Weird.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Interesting that this room, for so late in the game: didn't have heartbeat monitors on all the dudes. Or any interaction with an overseer at all. Weird.

We've almost seen the person in charge of this place. She's just not too concerned about replaceable thugs beyond their entertainment value.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

It's cheesy as gently caress and spells everything in a way that'd make even a complete idiot feel insulted. But I freely admit I never was a Joker fan.

It would help if it wasn't a constant barrage of 'The Joker Is So Dangerous Guys, You Don't Even Know!' from Batman and all the supporting characters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Black Spider is another vigilante who wanted to work with Batman but he had too much of a murder hard-on, so Batman did his best to dissuade Black Spider. It didn't work out and Batman got himself a sometimes villain, sometimes not really an ally but he wants to be a good guy I guess.

Black Spider ends up in a tie-in Arkham movie that takes place between this game and Asylum, incidentally.

Guess which clown-themed villain ends up taking over the plot of that movie, too? :shepicide:

Edit: The Drug Lab is my favorite Predator map in Origins. It stabs out among all of the drab, darkly lit ones.

Naturally, it's not playable in Challenge Maps outside of DLC (I think), much like my favorite map from Asylum, the Botanical Gardens.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 15, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

You guys are gonna love Arkham Knight given some recent videos !!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I was kinda hoping you were gonna end that predator room with an inverted takedown :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I was kinda hoping you were gonna end that predator room with an inverted takedown :v:

I think that counts as being seen, even if you do it on the last guy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think that counts as being seen, even if you do it on the last guy.
I don't think it does but it's really not worth risking since the game saves immediately afterwards.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think it does but it's really not worth risking since the game saves immediately afterwards.

I remember the game being relatively generous when giving you the unseen bonus re: inverted takedowns, loud takedowns, corner takedowns, etc but you're definitely right to not gently caress around w/it when there's a challenge on the line since it seems buggy as all hell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Guy dead on the floor of the elevator, face covered in white clown makeup with a big red smile on his face.

"WHO DID THIS?"

World's greatest detective.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Scaramouche posted:

Guy dead on the floor of the elevator, face covered in white clown makeup with a big red smile on his face.

"WHO DID THIS?"

I want you to remember you said this when the next video comes up, Scaramouche. Especially considering he was screaming like he was on Fear Toxin, not laughing like on Joker Gas. That is all for now.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah time to go inside the steel mill I guess.

Steel Cut Bats/Polsy

About the destructible wall and the box you could disrupt, I think they're just meant for the predator encounter before you enter the steel mill. For a wall takedown and PA disruption respectively.

Got the game for myself after your first few videos, I think there's a lot of stuff to like about the game but really did not enjoy the Joker bits. I think Sionis is a good bad guy and I thought for a bit after getting Falcone out of trouble that the might be more of that sort of mob stuff rather than just going for the Joker again.

Great job showing off the challenges and maps by the way. When I played through I ignored a lot of the non-combat challenges, so it's good to see a more well-rounded playthrough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

"WHO DID THIS?"

I haven't played this game but it was Copperhead.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Unseen thing is pretty generous. I was playing last night to try and catch up to the LP and in my final takedown I threw a Batarang which hit the guy in the face and did a ground takedown. Counted as unseen. I'm assuming that's because I was hiding around a corner when I threw it, but I figured any loud takedown would screw you out of it. Guess not.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
World's Greatest Detective.

Analysis: Poisoned

DNA Composition: Pure poison.

Possible Cause: Powerful poison.

His DNA is poison, Alfred!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how this is the only time we don't get a name for our victim. After all, criminals don't have names. :v:

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
The guy's got makeup on, man. It's not like we've been able to scan people's dental records through GCPD bodybags before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
On the subject of the Joker reveal, I'd heard about it before watching this LP but I'd assumed it happened towards the end of the game, and while I was still irritated at more Joker I'd assumed it would be a sudden, shocking swerve that just throws off all your expectations. Which would admittedly have been rather derivative of what City did with Clayface, but still. But holy poo poo, it happening so early is just *terrible*. Why would you do it like this? There's no suspense with it and it's not effectively timed, and it just makes the Joker's plot black hole nature even worse by giving him more time to run around stealing screen time. Instead of having the whole game to wonder "Why is Black Mask doing this? How does it benefit him to plant bombs under the GCPD?", the entire thing is answered for you super quickly, with no suspense.

I don't really have much to comment on about what's currently going on, unfortunately. But hopefully what's coming up will manage to be interesting, I suppose.

• Locked thread